Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Draco's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

VERY unique scent that will be sure to grab people's attention because people rarely use it (let alone heard of it). I would describe it as a sweet tobacco scent that conveys sophistication but also sexiness. Longevity is great...and so is the response from the females ;)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I bought this during my senior year of high school, just after my 18th birthday. I had smelled it on several older men, and found that it tended to make me feel at ease and comfortable around those men. I wholly attribute this to Le Male. It is a fantastic scent, and one that will be around for a long time I think. Despite the overly homoerotic advertisements for this cologne when it first came out, I have not (thankfully) smelled it too often on the younger "club crowd." Whenever I used to wear it, before it became much more common (and knocked off several times, the latest of which is 212 Sexy Men by Carolina Herrera), women would, upon catching a whiff of it on me, often feel compelled to want to bury their noses in my neck. I'm just sayin...well, Thumbs Up I guess!

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

The first scent I ever owned. Before this, all I had were various samples my mother would give my brother and I in our stockings, samples she used to get back when the department stores would shower you with them whenever you purchased a fragrance. But I never fell in love with any of those samples. It was not until my older sister dated a guy who wore this that I first experienced what it meant to love a scent. He was in his twenties, and luckily for me I did not discover this fragrance until well after those infamous "junior high" years, when so many pubescent boys made a valiant effort to douse themselves in so much Obsession for Men as to forever ruin the fragrance for everyone else (fortunately, they failed). My sister ended up giving this to me on my sixteenth birthday, and that bottle lasted me through the next two years of high school.

Though it's mainly a winter scent for me, back then I wore it year-round and it never seemed out of place. The odd person takes offense to Obsession when you're wearing it, as it can be a tad too sweet for certain people's noses. But to me, the blend of spice and wood and mandarin with a touch of cinnamon creates a smell that makes me think of Christmas Eve by the fireplace. Which is odd, because we never had a fireplace until much much later. Oh well. A fabulous, timeless fragrance. A classic.

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

I've never smelled anything quite like Obsession Night for Men. Even from the first moment you touch the bottle and feel its rubbery texture, everything seems to fit properly for this fragrance; it's truly an all-encompassing experience!

To me, this smells like I expected the "black" version of every other cologne on the market to smell like (e.g. Stetson Black, English Leather Black, Polo Black/Double Black, etc.). But for some reason only this one gets the sharp, spicy, patchouli combination right. It must be that "Black Suede" in the mix that makes each beautiful, velvety, navy blue bottle of this scent smell like midnight; it somehow captures a moment in time. Actually suited to night-time outings far better than the workplace or out during the day. Provocative and unmistakable.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

While at the very heart of this one are some shared notes with Le Male, the similarities end there. What follows is something akin to the smell of powdery smoke laced with vanilla and baby powder; it strikes you immediately as being full of warmth and comfort, as though you wish you could wrap yourself in the scent like a blanket fresh from the dryer. I loved it instantly upon smelling it, and had to have it immediately. It's not for everyday use, and I've purchased it at the start of winter, so I'm eager to see if it will fit well with hot weather. My guess is no; this just seems to be more of a winter scent.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Creed's best millésime.
    Nice smell, manly and mature.
    Also, better lasting power than the other Creeds.
    But way overpriced.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

On my skin:
    - smells cheap
    - gives me headache
    And it's overpriced, of course.

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

It's my favorite between the Eau d'Italie scents, but they are all nice.
    Great quality, very good lasting power.
    On my skin, the rose is more powerful than the incense and it draws tons of compliments.
    On the skin of my female colleague, the incense has more power than the rose, but I like it too (she doesn't, she prefers it on my skin).
    The bottle looks cheap, but I don't matter.
    I'm happy to own this EDT.
    It's a little similar to Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur, but lasts longer.

reveillee's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Another winner from Guerlain!! I am consistently amazed at the scents they offer (at least for men). This scent reminded me of a smoother, less intense gourmand eventually. An elegant version of Lolita Lempicka, Rochas Man, or Angel without any harsh notes. I really can't describe the top accords too well so I'm not going to try. I have yet to find a masculine Guerlain I don't like (yes, that even includes the underrated Guerlain Homme).
    8.5/10

08 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2013)

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

zztopp: Ditto

In three words: refined, exquisite, marvelous

Castile by Penhaligon's

This is a neroli I can enjoy, tempered with a touch of rose, and a musk base. A quility smell. Charming, and not too sweet. Very natural, casual but elegant. If you like masculine florals and orange/neroli based fragances, try it!!!

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

Very underrated, maybe because the name. Racquets is a semi oriental with a delicious top of citrus, and a floral/spicy heart. Amazing texture: fresh but powdery at the same time. So well blended that its astonishing!! Very versatile, and great longevity. To me, one of the best Penhaligons, period.

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Excelent and bold. A modern Mitsouko for men, with an aldehydic orange note instead of a slightly more femenine peach note, and with more rose in the heart. A bit fussy but needs time to work. Very good longevity and sillage.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very sexy and medicinal. All about cinnamon, clove, vanilla and musk, so you get the picture. Great sillage and longevity. Very linear, I think. Last all day. Soo soo good that its even boring!!!

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Bubblegum, vanilla and a little amber. Like all Gaultiers, very synthetic. Candy like. Long lasting and very linear. If you like to smell like a candy store, this is your fragance.

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

So impressionistic, like Monet paint. Vegetal, semi sweet, cold, enigmatic. A very personal fragance, I love it.

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

A shockingly modern rose based fragance. Bright and deep, baroque, colorful and intense yet totally wereable and unisex. Dark fruit, roses, spices and incense. To me, unforgettable.

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love cinnamon, and maybe thats why I dont have any problem in love Rousse. Very well constructed. Soft but deep, woody and floral. Not too gourmandy, a bit airy and velvety, and very wereable to be a Lutens. Duration is so so...

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

A typical mainstream fragance: boring, insipid, synthetic and short lived. Well, if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all...

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Disgusting. The same strong heart of Le Male mixed with a synthetic and sickening "floral" opening. They said "neroli", I say Ugghhh!!!

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Probably the finest masculine citrus chypre in existence. In all fairness, nothing goundbreaking but nobody has yet done a better job than Chanel in this category. Old fashioned but certainly not dated, this is altogether in a different league to the loud and shapeless vanilla mess that is the Concentre version, which in my opinion is a load of shit.

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Smells like pine, hardly suprising, but there is nothing to grab my attention here. Sadly, pine is generally associated with toilet cleaner, especially in the UK so this one isn't to my taste. Not bad, but not good. You could do alot worse...

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

In a word, dull. Nothing new or original in any way at all. In fact, so generic and unoriginal I nearly laughed. Nearly.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I am generally not a great friend of JC Ellena's style of perfumery and thus did not expect too much from L'Eau d'Hiver. I was not disappointed. The top is dominated by a boring florist / green-house violet note with the irritating insistence only synthetics have. This is followed by the much mentioned watery almond note, a little bitter, a little peppery, a little powdery sweet, but mainly continuing the cheap artificiality of the top. Any decent iris root that may be in here does not have a chance except to add a minor powdery accent (and we know he can do a great iris from TDC's Bois d'Iris, another incomplete creation which in that particular aspect is perfect, however). Rather than a winter landscape this conjures up images of a Yankee candle in homeopathic dilution. Yet again Ellena fails to prove his thesis that a minimalist/high synth approach can yield a similarly satisfactory result as a complex composition with a large percentage of naturals - in this case his model was Guerlain's Après L'Ondée. If this is the future of perfumery, I will gladly keep living in the past.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Black Amethyst by Bath and Body Works

This one has actually had some discussion on the fragrance boards...for one, it smells like a complete rip-off of Tom Ford's Black Orchid. Another point that's been discussed is the random 'cucumber' note, which I attribute to the 'waterfruits' and 'crisp melon' listed in the pyramid. All in all, not a horrible scent. But hey, it's just a cheaper version of a higher quality original...so...a neutral is the best I can give.

I've been gifted with a bottle, and will re-evaluate soon! 10/28/2009

09 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 October, 2009)

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Full-on jasmine that smells more “real” than many jasmine absolutes. It has a green quality and an extreme, fruity sweetness that exemplifies the most expensive jasmine extracts. This is a strong, heady, airy, totally floral jasmine devoid of any off-putting indolic notes. Jasmine lovers must try this unabashed soliflore. It is simply brathtaking and unapologetically straightforward, a true celebration of that flower that anyone who loves jasmine will flip over.

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Feminite du Bois is a wonderful cedar fragrance—the best I have ever smelled. The cedar is prominent from start to finish, and it is the most pleasant, clear, transparent variety available, smooth and true to its nature without being harsh or calling to mind those moth-repellant wooden chests. The plum note expels all associations with pencil shavings. Together with a gentle violet, and some well-chosen spices, they shape this supremely woody note into more than it has ever been before. Fabulous fragrance.

Patchoulissime by Keiko Mecheri

Patchoulissime – Keiko Merchari
    A clean, well-handled patchouli that smells refined and herbal. Patchouli is a difficult not to tame. There are two main schools of thought: one celebrates the earthiness of patchouli, adding little else (such as the high-quality Santa Maria Novella Patchouli and the lovely L’Artisan Patchouli Patch); the other school aims to sweeten the patchouli with fruit and amber notes (my favorites being Jalaine Patchouli, Coromandel, and Montale Patchouli Leaves). Most objections to the fist school occur because of associations with “hippie patchouli.” On the other hand, the substance, itself, causes problems with the “sweet school” because patchouli is one of the mustiest notes in perfumery. Regardless of the prettifying, it still smells like dirt, and the incongruence with vanilla can be revolting if handled improperly. Enter Keiko Mercheri Patchoulisse, almost a school unto itself. It is so light it approaches dryness. It is so soft that the patchouli comes across as an herb. This light, herbal nature completely removes all mustiness, but the perfume never becomes the least bit edible. Probably the only other perfume I know that succeeds in this same task is Aromatics Elixir. Patchoulissime is like one, tiny sliver of AE—the part without the complex balsams and florals, which leaves it spare and airy. I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t found a friend in patchouli yet.

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Hot, sweet, smoky and pungent. This fragrance teases with a delicious, syrupy cinnamon—mixed with deadly hot pepper! It offers a deep woodiness—but the wood is burned! The dual nature of this fragrance is fun. It’s not for everyday wear because it makes a bold statement. People who love incense, especially the smoke-producing kind, will find this most attractive. As time goes by, it does become more conventional

Scentsibility's avatar

Red Sea by Martine Micallef

Red Sea is overwhelmingly pungent at first - another funk/BO scent ala Kingdom - but more masculine IMO. Two hours into the drydown this has sweetened considerably on my skin and has ALOT in common with MKK at roughly half the cost. The sillage has dropped dramatically too... The notes (from the Luckyscent website) are neroli, cinnamon, rose, iris, sandalwood, and white musk. I would have sworn there was cumin in this when I first applied it. I did get the cinnamon and rose. If you like MKK but don't own it, this is worth trying, although it does become more of a skin scent than MKK. (If you put enough of this on to guarantee good sillage after a few hours you'd probably get arrested.)