Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

Virtually all of the "thumbs down" reviews see pi as excessively sweet. I count myself with them. While I enjoy many sweet fragrances, this one is overwhelmingly so: reminds me of desserts where sugar is the first ingredient listed. YUK! Not recommended.

Eau d'Iris by Heeley

It's a clean, light, fresh, and watery iris. Like most iris frags, it has a bit of the lipstick/makeup quality (which I like), but it's more airy and earthy than it is heavy or waxy. I actually wish it smelled more like lipstick. It's on the dry side, so it tends toward the antiseptic but not in a harsh way. If it were more musky and richer/rounded, I would say it even resembles Creed's Erolfa, which is one of my favs.

Figuier / Fig / Eau de Figuier by Heeley

I like fig, and I like the only two other Heeley frags I've sample, but I was disappointed with this one. The fig note is indeed in there in a clean and robust way, but there's a dirty-smelling/greasy note there that I just can't get passed. Ultimately, it develops into a musk, which I find quite unpleasant.

Cardinal by Heeley

It's lighter and fresher than I thought it would be. It's not particularly complex, but it's very nice. It smells just like the airy interior of a Catholic church. It's clean without being astringent and smooth without being syrupy. The effect is the nostalgic scent of a traditional church without the stale or heavy quality of actually being in one filled with a bunch of people. Ultimately, it develops into something that smells a lot like eucalyptus after a new rain. I think it would make a great cold-weather, outdoorsy, or formal occasion men's fragrance.

nohay's avatar

Israel Israel

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

This one is a class of its own. Took me ages to like it since it felt unwearable - but than I found it in a ridicules price and thought I better give it a try.
    Brilliant and wonderful, it's not for everyone, it's what I would call an aggressive scent, but sometimes you want to be aggressive. As always I'm pretty weak in detecting the notes, but I like this "plastic" ricochet I get from it - not cheap, just, well, plasticky.
    Thank god someone actually made this unique perfume.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ok, to the guy who thinks we're all imagining the dirty sexy smell of this frag and that we all read too many romance novels...you are outnumbered buddy so face it! I don't read romances, but this one makes me feel like I am in the middle of one. My husband puts this on, and it's on! It's like the man you shouldn't want because you know better. He's hot, sensual, a little dirty and has had way too many women-but Lord help you, you just can't stay away from him! That's what MKK is for me. I get a whiff of lion pee like at the zoo, something then incredibly sensual and wrong. It repels me, then turns me on. When my husband puts this on I have to walk away from the primal smell for awhile. But then I find myself drawn in against my will, to whiff him over and over again. Then I just can't stay away from him-I have to be against his chest. That is the mystery of this compelling fragrance. You may hate it, you may love it. Any way you slice it, it will raise eyebrows or melt bodies together and that's just cool.

SirSlarty's avatar

gs01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

This smells like a mix of all the things found in designer frags today: spicy florals on top, woody amber base and a fruity musk. A blend of the nicest things. Pretty good.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very light for a Lutens. This wears easily and is mysterious and romantic.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Cool Water with better materials, but done with less finesse.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Powder. Powder. Powder. Hazy woods. And some more powder.

But wait! The sillage is actually very pleasant. One for the chicks.

Geir by Geir Ness

Spicy nothing. Cool nothing. Fresh nothing. Clean nothing. Synthetic nothing.

But "nothing" can actually end up being a good something. Am I making sense?

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Messe Serale.

Avignon, once more with feeling. (and an enveloping sillage/aura)

Aoud Lime by Montale

Aoud Lime is a twist on the traditional gentleman's cologne with the addition of a very pronounced oud note. I initially turned it down. Back then, little did I know, that it would eventually end up in my wishlist. Definitely one of Montale's better scents in the oud line.

09th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2009)

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Pedestal-worthy amber fragrance.

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

Slightly dirty and kinky leather with iris, fruits, and something balsamic. Intoxicating sillage. A guilty pleasure.

Galleddrim's avatar

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

Doesn't smell bad. But not nearly as interesting as either Code or Lolita Lempicka. I'll wear it, but I won't buy it again. Go with Code for more spice and LL for more floral. Zegna Intenso is both of those, minus what makes them interesting.

Bigsly's avatar

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

I found that if I diluted this with vodka (which seems appropriate, in light of vadim's review), the top notes were less harsh and the drydown was better as well. I think I diluted it 1 to 1, or somewhere in that vicinity. I wish I knew why they couldn't make a less harsh and "synthetic" opening accord, but the drydown is quite good for a "budget fragrance," and diluting it has allowed me to wear it at least once a month.

My old review:

I tried to avoid the top notes, as I do with most fragrances, and it dries down quickly to a creamy scent with what I think is castoreum and incense being prominent. I think if I had different skin chemistry this would be better, but this dry, almost dusty quality lasts a long time (when I said creamy, I didn't mean in a gourmand way; if there is any sweetness, it's minimal). Also, I think this would be good for layering (such as with Cuba Red) but I have yet to try it that way. This is certainly not one to spray more than two or three times, depending upon your skin chemistry. And it may be that different notes seem dominant, depending upon your skin chemistry. However, at 100 ml for less than $10 delivered (check around when the discounters are offering coupons, like just before or after the Christmas/New Year's holidays), it's worth a shot, especially considering the layering possibility. And if Kouros is just a bit too much for you, but you think you'd like it if it were less powerful, this might be the way to go. I look forward to "fiddling around" with this one.

09th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th June, 2010)

lilirose's avatar

Il Bacio by Borghese

I used to love this fragrance back in the 90's! It's still in production? I'll have to reaquaint myself w/ this.

soirdelune's avatar

28 La Pausa by Chanel

A heart-breakingly lovely iris, perhaps the gentlest of them all, with an almost imperceptible dab of leather -- think Kelly Caleche proportions, diminished by 50. Utterly delicate, restrained and elegant. Criminally short-lived. The epitome of chic, taste and classic 'femininity'. Very beautiful indeed.

Theasylph's avatar

Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein

I tried this and was reminded of so many other fruity florals that I couldn't pick just one. It's not at all bad maybe just a little boring to me. I loved the dry down though when the fruit kick subsided it was very nice.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

It has an element of Euphoria to it but for some reason, it has much too much of this element. It is a bit too much but just like many other popular fragrances, you either love it or you hate it. And that is what I love about this perfume...it is black or white, no grey areas so you can easily make your choice. I might like the drydown but the opening notes literally blow you over. It might be in a good way but for me, it was in a bad way!

09th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

My fiance loves this scent - he apparently read about it in some or other men's glossy, tested it at the perfume boutique and came back weak-kneed. I went hunting for it to test and I was not disappointed. I like "ghost" fragrances - ones that are unusual ("not safe") and not overpowering (ones that people don't immediately comment on but ones that linger in a person's imagination until they smell the perfume somewhere else or on someone and immediately get reminded of you). My signature perfume is Euphoria by Calvin Klein. I have only used 2 perfumes in my entire lifetime: Tommy Girl by Hilfiger and now Euphoria. My other favorite is Alien by Thierry Mugler and now, Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP. I love Rodrigues solely because it smells elegant without being girly and overtly feminine and it has the "ghost" effect. For a perfume snob, Narciso has done very well. I love it.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

I must say, the opening notes are scary to say the least. They jump at you ala Casper the Friendly Ghost's very scary uncles. If you are not the curious types, it will put you off immediately. I, however, really wanted to at least give Thierry the benefit of the doubt after my many disastrous encounters with the ever so repulsive Angel. Back to Alien - after the top notes sprung on me, they quickly faded into the heart notes, which had a warm yet cold aroma to them - I could tell that come the base notes, I will be sold.....and I was. I cannot think of any word to describe it except "mysterious". I think this is what an asteroid would smell like right after it hits the middle of the amazon forest - the asteroid would then smell like Alien right after the Amazonian rains pours on top of it. It smells grapey but not fruity, soft but not feminine. If tanzanite or aquamarine had an aroma to them, they would smell like Alien. It is not a safe fragrance and when you smell it, you either hate it but are drawn to it or you love it and are obsessed with it. It is one of those fragrances that you have to wear and carry off - otherwise, they overtake your life. If you have no sense of style and are trashy and classless and love men with no tact, then this fragrance is not for you. I personally love it.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

wow!!! i first became a huge fan of cologne at the age of ten when my nana got me the coty men's fragrance collection for christmas.. i've probably gone through more bottles than many others twice my age, but this one is the best!!! from the opening blast to the drydown (which lasts and lasts lasts) this cologne matches my body chemistry perfectly. The sillage is amazing, and everywhere i go from the post office to the grocery store women constantly come up to me to ask what it is that i am wearing. a masterpiece

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

yuck!!! i tried three different times to get past the initial lemon chlorox beast that came out of the bottle, i really tried to get down to the middle and basenotes hoping for something better, but alas i failed. this is quite possibly the most noxious thing i have ever had on my skin. on me it smells like i had just taken a bath in industrial strength sanitizer mixed with rotten lemon rinds... it must not smell that great to too many other people either, since i unloaded my 4 oz bottle on ebay and got only ten bucks for it...
    Edit... this stuff still sucks

09th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2009)

The Dreamer by Versace

this is a truly beautiful scent. one of my employees couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was that she loved about it, but said that it "smells like sex"... you don't really get a better compliment than that

Very Valentino pour Homme by Valentino

i have to agree with many of the posters... this is a very neutral, inoffensive scent, but is no way memorable. i wear this to work quite often because of its gentle sweetness and bland character. the sillage is pretty decent, but there is no connection whatsoever between the scent pyramid and what i actually smell on my skin... all in all you won't get any complaints from this fragrance, but don't expect a lot of compliments either

Himalaya by Creed

this one really confused me... at first i didn't like it, then an hour later i loved it, then another hour later i hated it, and so on and so forth until i decided it just wasn't really for me. i'm no expert, but i feel that is reminiscent of so many other fragrances you can buy at macy's for half the price. it never really grabbed me, and my girlfriends was also "ho-hum" about it... i'm definately not dropping another 100 bucks on a bottle i would never use.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

yes it's very hard to identify the individual notes in this fragrance, and yes it does have a synthetic feel if overapplied, and yes it definately smells like soap, but the kind of soap you would find in hotel rooms costing more than $1000 a night... this has been one of my mainstays for quite awhile... the sillage is amazing, the opening to drydown is tightly knit, and you never get the feeling that you smell like the other three guys in the elevator... this is a tremendously light and powdery fragrance, so i you are a lover of woods or deeper scents you will hate this... all in all a great prada frag to go with my great prada shoes

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

as everyone else has already attested, this is a beautiful fragrance, but only for a couple hours... what is strange is that it feels so heavy when first applied that you think it will last for days, but four hours later you are wondering if you had put on anything at all... i have to disagree with those that call it an office fragrance, because i feel it is really only appropriate for formal situations... an amazing scent, but i will probably not buy another bottle after the years it will take for me to finish this one.