Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

nothing too remarkable here... nothing really offensive, and average sillage... i actually wear this one to the gym because it's mild and works with my own sweat to keep me from smelling like a caveman... worth a shot but don't expect to turn heads

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

wow... this is quite unlike anything else i've ever smelled/owned... an ex-girlfriend swore by this magic, so i bought it off of ebay blind and have received nothing but compliments ever since... a few sprays (very strong sillage) and i'm instantly transported to a beach in the caribbean wearing white linens, drinking a rumrunner and smoking a great cigar... a classic in all ways

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

I absolutely adore it, but i get absolutely no compliments on it at all... i guess this one just doesn't work with my body chemistry very well... oh well sometimes you just have to wear fragrances to please yourself, and this is one of them

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

a very interesting fragrance... i bought this one blind based on a few reviews, and am pretty glad I did... the opening is definately all woods and spice, but my skin rids itself of this quickly and holds on to the middle notes of leather and cedar while also meshing with the basenotes of dark woods... this is definately a man's man scent... i could say that it reminds me of drinking bourbon straight in a smoky pub wearing all black, all while having every woman hanging on my every word... good stuff!

sponger's avatar

Dominican Republic Dominican Republic

Allure Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Definitely not unisex, this classic. The rose, jasmine and citrus spice notes jump immediately on application, then quickly step back to allow emergence of the very bourbony vanilla tones, all blending into an enduring fragrance. When in a crowd, people don't notice it, but become aware of it, and then seek its source --
    hence the "allure". A blond, lighter skin may indulge a heavier application without over doing it, whereas a darker complexion will broadcast subtle oriental tones that waft through the area in a light subtle manner. Without woodier oriental spice I would not characterize it as a seductress, but as a "touch of royalty". To me, this is "special occasion" parfum for evening, The scent is
    serious, not playful.

sponger's avatar

Dominican Republic Dominican Republic

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

Those nauseating hanging cardboard "smell" wafers available in car wash corridors might offer a scent like this. I would call it "Tire Scrub from Planet X".

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

If it's a top-seller, it should be a good fragrance. I dunno, I find this fitting for sporty wear or some physical activities. I don't find it romantic. It's masculinity in a bottle. The top is great but the drydown is a little questionable for me. Very good sillage and stays long on my skin.

Aspen for Men by Coty

Yes it's a cheaper Cool Water if you ask me. But has a more greener feel to it. More outdoorish type of scent. Something in Aspen that makes me remember of early morning experiences. Fresh and clean too. Doesn't last long on me. Can't blame it though because of the price.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Absolutely awesome fragrance! I got a lot of compliments wearing this one. The signature tea note really works on me. Perfect for formal and romantic events. Sillage is good. Longevity is average, around 3-5 hours on me. Like SirSlarty said, nothing's Extreme about this. It's not that strong, certainly not overpowering. It's subtle, clean, fresh and classy fragrance.

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

What's with the negative reviews? I find this scent really appealing and most of the ladies I know love the smell of this. It's not a stand-out scent. It's more of a low-key, good-boy type of fragrance. The base is my favorite in this one. Perfect for casual wear.

Cool Water by Davidoff

If you haven't made up your mind on what to wear for a specific occasion, Cool Water is the way to go. Inoffensive and fresh. Very popular and for good reasons too, because it's affordable and smells great. Longevity is quite poor on me but hey, it could be longer for you.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

The top notes of Curve is awesome! Definitely a compliment getter. Sillage is average but definitely works on close-quarters. This scent doesn't last that long on my skin though. And I prefer the top notes than the bottom.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I remembered my dad wearing this one. He got lots of compliments. That was almost 2 decades ago. Haven't smelled this for quite sometime but I still remember the scent. Awesome how sense of smell is directly related to your memories. Such a classy scent. Never gets old.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

A classic. Great signature scent. Suited for a mature crowd but I think 15 year-olds can pull this off. Starts kind of soapy, smells synthetic... I prefer its drydown. Average sillage but great longevity.

Happy for Men by Clinique

It's a great summer fragrance. You can get all the fresh notes on the first spritz.
    What I don't like about this is the longevity... My goodness... 2-3 hours? You'd be bringing that bottle for the entire day.
    Could've been a thumbs up for me.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

One of the best fragrances I owned.
    Awesome fizzy opening, superb middle notes and excellent drydown. I lost count of how many compliments I got with this.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

After all the hype, I decided to take a whiff at this. Not the type of scent I wanted. Has that strong, powdery, spicy vanilla thing going on. I like vanilla scents like Lacoste Pour Homme but this one is just an overload of vanilla. But I think this works best for cold weather, other than that, I dunno... And oh, the bottle.... hahaha!

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Such a lively fragrance. I love how it smells on me. Some say this has a unisex feel to it but I think this is male fragrance all the way. Great great scent. Just don't wear this when you're sweating or engaged into some type of physical activity as this may turn into something sour and could be a turn-off!

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I like the fruity opening. It's not strong but too much can make you ick... The vanilla drydown for me is great. Suitable for semi-formal wear.

Slate by Banana Republic

Clean and inoffensive scent. Smells a little common though but a lot better than Black Walnut in my opinion.

Very nice packaging and bottle by the way. Good for collecting.

STAR's avatar

Lebanon Lebanon

Love Spell by Victoria's Secret

To me it smells exactly like your bathroom after taking a steamy bath and having washed your hair with Herbal Essences shampoo.Smells like you've just stepped out of the shower.
    Its pretty light though,doesnt stay on your skin,but if sprayed on your hair,it works wonders.

STAR's avatar

Lebanon Lebanon

Strawberries and Champagne by Victoria's Secret

Im really sorry to say this but it smells awful.I is soooo sickly,kinda like musky sweet plastiky bug repellant.but since I dont like to waste anything,I decided to use it as a bathroom refeshner.
    My mom came to visit,and after using the restroom,she told me that I should consider changing my refreshner coz it made her sick to her stomach.

Theasylph's avatar

Flower Princess by Vera

This fragrance is light, but has staying power. It reminds me of a flower water combination. The musk is not detectable. It's a nice daytime fragrance as it's light and does feel very young. I could see very young girls loving this because it is uncomplicated and pleasant and the bottle is adorable. To me it is not interesting enough.

09th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th January, 2011)

fakepurseninja's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Actually, this is much much LESS "marine" than the original AQVA (which I love very much). Another one of those fresh fruit salad scents that come in heaps these days and that do absolutely nothing for me.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

Wonderfully medicinal, deep lavender and moss. Initially it smells almost too acerbic but soon settles into a very grounding combination of blue woody freshness from lavender and animalic forest green from the oakmoss. Lavender used this way can sometimes retreat into a thin top-middle register but this remains quite broad, the accord filling a wide spectrum.

Plenty of reference to other C&S - the house notes are here.

This endures very well for a fragrance like this, and projects with a light presence. If you like these old fashioned lavenders for gentlemen, this must surely be one of the finest examples.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Superb top accord, lovely bergamot and green notes but really quite subtle compared to the big amber which is present here right from the start. The heart is immensly rich with deep, complex dry hay and sweet blonde tobacco, a touch of florals and powdery iris. However, it is the base which dominates; so much so that I have to be concentrating to really notice the other factors (and I do wonder if anyone smelling it on me is likey to be concentrating that hard). A wonderful honeyed amber with a touch of fuzzy musk glues the whole thing together and the other accords can seem like token decorations of this at times.

At any rate Chergui (like many SL fragrances) has a very unified overal effect without a crisp deliniation between top, heart and base. The blending is sublime. It ends up with a strange combination of animalic hay and tobacco and naive sweet honey and amber, with a little savoury spice.

The projection is controlled and the longevity high.

I would prefer this in a lower concentration; I think it would make a better masculine as an EDT, but is very wearable in small doses as it is.

jasong9573's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

I like it. However, it is basically Bulgari Black, but less expensive.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

My first impression of Coromandel is of a soft and lovely powder. It reminds me of the vanilla powder essence in Kenzo Amour and even moreso of Guerlain's Angelique Noire ~ which is actually an almond/vanilla. In fact, my nose convinced me to check them side by side, and sure enough, the Angelique Noire and Coromandel are kissing cousins! Yes, almond/vanilla it is! There is a playfulness of fruited notes that prevent the composition from becoming dark or brooding. Amber comes across rich, and the entire blend is wrapped with a perfect patchouli. The partnership of Polge and Sheldrake is a dream team if ever there was one!

zztopp's avatar

Love in Black by Creed

Notes:
    Top: Wildflowers, Violet
    Middle: Iris, Virginia Cedar, Clove
    Base: Blackcurrants, Rose, Musk

Love in Black (LiB), the latest fragrance from Creed, is a homage to Jacquie Kennedy Onassis. I can't vouch for the authencity of this celeb match op., but what I can do is deconstruct this juice based on its merits and wowza this is a solid two brown thumbs up !

Classified as a woody oriental, LiB is a violet-iris exposition. The violet-iris combo isn't new .. it has been been used successfully in the past, but most of the times with little finesse resulting in an unbalanced, trashy, crass tone to the composition. LiB does this combo proud; and despite utilizing this classic combo it manages to smell unique. The opening burst hints at some floral note (is it the wallflower?) and sweet violets but within seconds a fast transformation takes place - a wet-green hue envelops the composition with an emerging doughy earthy aroma. The "wet green" effect is due to a high dosage of violet leaf (violet odorata from Parma violets; think Green Irish Tweed), while the doughy earthy note is rich buttery iris being infused in this heart accord. It doesn't stop there .. a woody aroma soon seeps in (thanks to a top quality cedar note) and thus the earthy, tarry, buttery heart of LiB is complete and it smells strange and irresistible at the same time. Imagine Charlotte York sporting a moustache and a savile row suit, posing as a man. From here LiB slowly morphs over several hours to the base of 'currants and rose. The clove note provides the link from the earthy/tarry heart and the sweetish blackcurrant (which is moderated by a cool bulgarian rose note). To me the decision to end on the rose-currant base was a wise one as it provides a cool-sweet counterpart to the woody-buttery heart. The bad cop/good cop routine to force the enjoyment out of you. Good longevity but surprisingly from the midpoint onwards sillage is moderate. And hell yea, its unisex all the way!

LiB, with its perfectly balanced violet-iris combo, hits all the notes for me: Quality of ingredients? Check. Solid construction ? Check. Satifactory evolution? Check. The best thing Creed has done since Feuille Verte? Ding ding ding...check check check !!. LiB smells unique and satisfies. One needs time to appreciate its subtle nuances as it unravels on your skin. Fans of easy wear like Spring Flower will be bewildered and overwhelmed and pass the bottle to their mother or boyfriend...everyone else will be intrigued. Yes its expensive - but what are you gonna do? It is the essence of a Kennedy after all ...

Rating: 9.25/10.0

purplebird7's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This review is circuitous; it takes me awhile to address the issue of Lolita Lempicka, but please bear with me. My history with the note of anise is long, and my reaction to it is strange. First of all, I love to eat black licorice; I've been a fan of it ever since I was a child. But in some perfumes, I cannot stand the smell of anise. For example: the anise top notes of Givenchy Very Irresistable (a rose soliflore) were obnoxious from start to finish, and it ruined the fragrance for me. I disliked Caron Aimez Moi, with its thick, dark, licorice syrup created by amber and vanilla. And yet, I love anise within other contexts. One of my favorites is Ayala Moiel Indigo, where anise is paired with an airy cedar, and I loved it. (She also used it to great advantage with jasmine and spearmint in her discontinued zodiac fragrance Cancer.) I've never smelled the big momma of them all, Jungle L'Elephant, but I hope to some day.
    I recently tried Lolita Lempicka and feared that my aversion would be triggered. I expected it to have a heavy licorice aroma, especially since it is a gourmand fragrance. But somehow, the caramel melted all over the anise, completely enveloping it in sweetness that all but disguised the anise from me! Together with violet and a bit of greens, it stopped short of bon-bon territory, never becoming quite edible. It's strong, but I like strong perfumes. It was nice! And it is probably the first gourmand that I have enjoyed so much.
    It reminds me of Angel, a fragrance that wanted to love but couldn't. I hated the cotton candy top notes so much that couldn't wear it long enough to get to the beautiful patchouli base. Lolita Lempicka is without patchouli, so one would expect that I would dislike it; but no, it is more restrained in the beginning compared to the blaring top notes of Angel. In fact, it makes me reconsider the entire genre, and I may now be able to make friends with Angel. Thanks Lolita. I think I would call this an Oriental fragance with strong Gourmand leanings.