Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

1873 by Histoires de Parfums

The best aspect of this perfume, Colette, was the ivy. It is a floral, but the green, leafy accord dominates. If you enjoy greens, try it. Otherwise, the strength of the greens seemed contrived to me, and not particularly well-balanced.

1826 by Histoires de Parfums

Not a bad fragrance, merely not what I would associate with historical recreations. It is strawberry and coconut on a woody base, pleasant enough, but I associate that with the synthetic strawberries that were all the rage in the 1970s.

1804 by Histoires de Parfums

This is not the same George Sand perfume as the superior Maitre Parfumer et Gantier offering. This one is a spicy pineapple on a sweet benzoin base, cheerfully bright and fruity. In contrast, the MPG is a deep, strong, smooth, woody, mossy floral. Somehow, I think the real George Sand (person) would have worn the MPG, hands down over this one.

1876 by Histoires de Parfums

Named Mata Hari, this perfume features a strong blackcurrent note and is primarily floral. I don't particulary associate that note with bygone eras. In fact, it reminds me of my reference redcurrent scent, Aqua Allegoria Grosselina, which came on the scene to rave reviews by fruity fragrance lovers and then disappeared off the radar like so many other AAs. I would expect something more exotic, spicy, dramatic, sensual, and tragic to represent this woman.

Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris

I almost wrote this one off as too floral for me, and, indeed, it lacks any woody or ambery base. However, it is bang-on geranium, very heady and pleasingly floral, with that lovely minty rose fragrance of the real substance. I give it high marks for a soliflore. Not girly, more fresh than flowery, very uplifting.

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

The most unusual of the Histoire de Parfums that I tried, 1740 Marquis de Sade was spicy and sharp upon application. It features cumin, which is apt. I mean, who wouldn't sweat under the hands of this diabolical lover? A leather note is prominent, but to me it comes across more like tobacco, either way, implying dirty habits. There is no civit or castoreum that I can discern, only a tarry smokiness. This fragrance is more masculine than feminine, but unisex is where I would place it. It falls short at the end of its tenure when it grows sour on me, which ruins wearability.

Vert Pivoine by Histoires de Parfums

Peony and green leaves make this a refreshing floral, and I think I also smell a lot of pepper, to give it a woody finish. Interesting, but not my genre.

tnamey's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This is one heck of a brew! Bulgari, as usual, has designed a unique frag, really unlike anything else. I cannot fathom comments that include burnt rubber, tar, etc. in this frragrance, which will be sexier than hell on the woman who CAN wear it. It is bold, starts out with a creamy vanilla top note, soon revealing black, tea musk and leathery basenotes. his fragrance lasts, and like most Bulgari scents, becomes closer to the skin. The term androgeny is also inappropriate for the frag, since it implies "unisex." I can see this on myself, and have used it occasionaly, feeling quite well with the scent, opening and dry-down. The strident uniqueness of this cologne may be one issue that some have. For my part is is truly unusual, but distinct and beautiful.

tnamey's avatar

Blu Notte by Bulgari

This is one sensual fragrance. I find it irrestible. The iris top note is bold but fades, still there but not overwhelming. The chocolate is there, but I also smell musk and vodka. I would rate this one of my top five female fragrances, three of which are in the Bulgari line. Also unique, but more mainsream than B. Black. Women, this is a seductive fragrance. I'm glad it commonly out there, for my safety!

Sugandaraja's avatar

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Tubéreuse Criminelle is my new tuberose love. After the aldehyde bomb of Fracas and chilly synthetic of Vierges & Toreros, I was starting to become wary of one of my favorite notes, but this has reaffirmed my faith in the beauty of tuberose after so many have failed to live up to the real flower.

The top notes are lovely. I really don't smell the whole gasoline rubber camphor menthol nails-on-chalkboard note many smell in this. No violence here, just a lively, cooling sharpness that modifies the floral bent of this fragrance - wintergreen, to my nose, though there are a host of other notes I that linger on the edge of identification.

When I applied lightly the top notes faded quite quickly; fifteen minutes or so. In the second wearing I I used a heavier application that resulted in them lasting much longer; around two hour hours.

This is quite a sillage-heavy fragrance, so be cautious about how much you apply. Throughout its development the sillage never diminishes, smelling just as strong twelve, even twenty-four hours after application.

Needless to say, the longevity is likewise Herculean. Tubéreuse Criminelle will be with you until you wash it off.

Though the tuberose is always present, as the the top notes give up the ghost the flower really comes into its own.

I find it interesting to compare the note's treatment here with Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower. Before Tubéreuse Criminelle entered my life Carnal Flower was the tuberose in my life, and the only one that could truly satisfy my tuberose hunger. Confronted with Tubéreuse Criminelle I had to ask myself - how could something that smells so different from Carnal Flower smell equally, if not more, like the real thing?

I think a few fellow of my fellow Basenoters - purplebird7 mentioned this a couple reviews before me - are on to something when they talk about real tuberose being rubbery. I don't smell tuberose or tuberose absolute that way but there is a certain something about tuberose; a richness; a heaviness; a hidden depth. Something that adds almost an animal element to an entirely botanical scent, and something that Tubéreuse Criminelle emphasizes in a way that makes it smell almost more real than the living flower.

The tuberose in Carnal Flower is the fragrance of tuberose carried on the evening breeze; the tuberose Tubéreuse Criminelle is a bouquet of tuberose blossoms inhaled deeply.

There are other differences in treatment, too. Carnal Flower has a luminescent transparency; cooling and green. Tubéreuse Criminelle on the other hand, is smolderingly warm and rather oriental in style while still being a soliflore through and through. It's impossible for me to choose between the two when it comes to accuracy, but Tubéreuse Criminelle suits my tastes and aesthetic sensibilities more.

For someone wanting to experience tuberose, try either - and avoid synthetic monstrosities such as Fracas.

Getting back to Tubéreuse Criminelle's development, the drydown is dominated by the tuberose note I just elaborated in detail upon, but there are subtle modifications, including a distinct vanillic base and a gentle whispering of spices. The official notes are listed as "tuberose, orange blossom, hyacinth, jasmine, musk, vanilla, styrax, nutmeg and clove", but other than tuberose, vanilla and the not-listed wintergreen, I wouldn't be able to identify what exactly is in Tubéreuse Criminelle.

Can a man wear this? If he's comfortable smelling like tuberoses, why not? If you love white florals, go and sample this, whatever your gender.

If I ever return to Europe, you better believe I'll be coming home with a bell jar of Tubéreuse Criminelle. Until such a time, I'll just have to make due with decants of this ravishing elixir.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

There's something here that I cannnot get away from... This is sex in a bottle, it's like the sour sweat plus some flowers and spicy on a very expensive perfumated room after a nice sex session... Well done Chanel... the best way to reuse the COCO name!

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This is gasoline and vanilla... just that, sexy but I couldn't imagine an occasion to wear it, so I left it at the free shop...

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

Oh where can I find one of these??? It's soooo sexy, so animal, so well done... D&G should start producing this with a better promotion.. those The One and Light Blue sucks...

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Creamy???? Smooth??? It's very spicy, and lemony at the opening... just like lemons and lemons... then really spicy while the lemons start to dry to a powdery smell, typical from citrusy frag. and a plus of some sexy hint of leather and woods.. Really nice, but it could perfectly be a fragrance instead of an edition.. really mediterranean, a great substitute to your L'eau de Issey.. Way better than that "mojito" thingy from Guerlain.. shame on them

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Stay away from this... the opening is too medical... something with cherries, mint, very strong.. the lasting power is ok but the drydown is way too femenine, even when I go for fragrances as A*men, V Valentino and Au Masculine among others, this one is not good at all... smells cheap, like the fragrances you can test at drugstores but at the feminine section. I went for Ultrared instead, not that masculine but stays pretty close to the sking, sweet, very, but perfect for the summer...

mattp420's avatar

1903 by J Peterman

Hands down my favorite scent...and my secret weapon. About 10 years ago my uncle was wearing 1903 and I couldn't get over the smell. Leathery, woody, mossy...these are common phrases when describing a fragrance but this is anything but common. It was one of the most intriguing and exquisite scents I had encountered. He was very mysterious and didn't tell me what he was wearing but when I saw him next he gifted me a bottle and its been a must-have ever since. This is hands-down the one that I get the most compliments/questions about - since its only available on the J. Peterman website, its still relatively unknown and most definitely unique. I don't really see alot of resemblance to VCA PH (another favorite) as one of the reviews mentioned below. Really have yet to find anything quite like it.

Asha's avatar

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

Helmut Lang EDC

I have worn this several times now...something about it seemed familiar yet strange at the same time, so I have been trying to figure it out. At first I thought there was an ozone or aquatic note in the top, but today I finally understand it...soap. HL in the EDC concentration has soapy aldehydes up front. I should point out that HL EDC is a clean musk, but it is not what I would call a white musk. It is sweet musk with soap. In other words, the musk part of the scent is not one of the soapy musk aromachemicals that is familiar in many white musk offerings such as Body Shop White Musk. Furthermore, I can wholeheartedly state that this soap and sweet musk combo has been thoroughly mimicked by Le Labo in their new release for Los Angeles, Musc 25. When I first tried HL, I really didn't like the top notes. Now that I have a bit of insight, I can't say I am still convinced that I will like it in the long run, but the recognition increases my comfort in wearing it. Besides, the whole reason I became fascinated by this fragrance is for the drydown.

The drydown is a very simple but gorgeous vanilla powder musk which is the closest thing I have ever smelled to my beloved pre-reformulation Coty Wild Musk. HL wears a little differently, though--when I sniff my arm, I can barely smell it. However, as I move around, I catch rather strong whiffs of the fragrance. Apparently this is one of those fragrances where distance matters. It takes an hour at least for the aldehydes to subside, and for the duration, the sweet vanilla powder remains. The drydown of HL fills some pretty big shoes from my fragranced past. I loved CWM, and so HL seems to be a viable substitute. The first couple of times I tried it, I thought it might be very weak and short lived because of its EDC concentration. It is indeed a subtle scent, but the EDC longevity is really not bad--4 hours at least after a liberal application.

I find it amusing that since this is now a discontinued fragrance, it is fetching rather high prices on the online auction and retail sites. Ironically, maybe in this case, Le Labo is the more affordable alternative.

Asha's avatar

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Royall Lyme Bermuda Royall Muske EDC

My first impression is "barbershop musk". The opening has a sweet and clean musk, one which tends less toward soap and more toward an amber musk. There are also some fleeting florals at this stage, but no individual flower seems prominent. It sounds like it might not be a good combination, but it seems to work quite well. The florals are clean and bright without being heady, the musk is mellow and sweet. Underneath it all is that "barbershop" note which must be something like bay rum.

As RM develops, the florals fade and spicy notes emerge. There is a dryness to the spices which starts to balance the sweetness somewhat. It seems to be a spice melange of clove and cinnamon, and there is also an herbal component, probably bay or basil. The musk seems barely there, but I am sure it is helping to marry the composition as musk often does. As an EDC I was expecting RM to develop rapidly, and it is. I sprayed liberally, but after only about half an hour, it is really changing and toning down.

Within one hour, RM has settled thoroughly into its spiced bay rum base, with a hint of powder and musk that seems to come and go. The spices are stronger than I expected from an EDC, and are pleasant, but the fragrance as a whole is not particularly deep. I think this is to be expected, though, as Royall Lyme Bermuda has an entire line of cologne waters, and the expectation for these types of fragrances are exactly what RM delivers: a fresh and light splash for after the bath or a shave. I quite like it, and will enjoy it either alone or layered.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Cuoio by Odori

The best in the Odori line by far. Jealous that everso managed to snatch a bottle at half price!

Anyway, it's a fresh chemical-esque smelling leather scent with great complexity that somehow ends up smelling just like my like great grandmother's bedroom. Funnily, my girlfriend said this smells like her grandma's room as well.

everso's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

terrible and unwearable. it smells sort of like a garbage can after leftover indian food has been thrown in it. amazing what the name "serge lutens" can sell......next, they're gonna market the smell of fish under the name "la peche pour nuit" and everyone will be jumping up and down again! AVOID.

everso's avatar

Knize Forest by Knize

what an absolutely GORGEOUS green fragrance. this is the greenest scent i've ever tried.....i don't really see much comparison to anything else around at the moment. This stuff is THE cleanest fresh grass cut, open forest green you'll ever try. KNIZE are truly the kings of fragrances. Absolutely brilliant.

Aznavour's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Opens with powdery citrus then dries down as Iso E Super's synthetic cedar (or if you like, it dries down as Escentric 01). I find that I like the smell of Iso E Super, so no complaints on that score from me. Over all this fragrance strikes me as clean and pleasant, if not exactly exciting. It's a nice step up from the floral or musky nightmares aimed at the general market. I would find it more interesting on a guy, if only because it would be more unexpected.

Mengels's avatar

Slate by Banana Republic

LOVE this scent. Kept trying it on in BR over and over until I finally received it as a gift. Very fresh smelling!

soirdelune's avatar

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Ivoire is the very sort of scent I like to be smothered in: a full-on green without sharpness or astringency, floral accords with no sickliness or vapidity -- in fact, this is elegantly fullbodied and rich as a fine silk satin. Yes, it is soapy, but it's a sort of moviestar ivory soap scent, or something you'd associate with 1950s Lux or Camay. To me, this is precisely the sort of scent that curmudgeons would describe as 'dated', but in these times of so very many 'try-hard' fragrances, there is something unapologetically beyond fashion about Ivoire. It doesn't [I]need[/I] to try; it's chic and lovely -- and it knows it. It has been some twenty years since I last smelt this pefume, and going back to it now has been a reassuring pleasure. Got an old bottle? Dig it out and have a good, long sniff. Want to buy it new? It's incredibly affordable.

hollyc's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I bought this as soon as it came out after smelling on a scent strip. Absolutely irresistable. Lo and behold, my body chemistry dealt it a smart judo chop turning it into something no one would want to wear and sent it packing. I continued to pick up the bottle and sniff it because it is so heart breakingly lovely, alluring and sexy. Eureka, I now spritz a little on the light bulb in my bedroom which treats it far more kindly than my body does. Not that I'm recommending it as a room spray, it deserves too much respect for that, but at least I still get to enjoy it occasionally. If you can wear it, I'm jealous. Very sexy.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tested Arabie (bottle bought blind, but hey, its a Lutens) 3 times over 20 hours. I must have felt the same way Trebor felt initially, except that good money had been paid already. Almost too cloying and medicinal. Didn't get the fruitcake and the dates (and my wife bakes professionally) accords mentioned by more experienced reviewers.

Then suddenly, almost exactly an hour after, i understood why patience is a good virtue. Arabie revealed its soul. All mentioned notes began to perform beautifully, both solo and in symphony. I noticed that this transformation occurred when the oily sheen on my wrist (from application) disappeared.

Long story short, Arabie is beautiful, sublime. A good introduction to its genre. Strong yes, but nicely strong. Transporting and evocative. Good sillage and longevity. Arabie will always be in my wardrobe.

trenjct's avatar

Ghost Man by Ghost

I absolutely love this. Yes, it's a little feminine and pretty sweet. Some of my male friends won't go near it, but women seem to love it. Very hard to find around here. I have hundreds of bottles of cologne, and this is definitely in my top ten.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

This is a light fresh floral fragrance. The opening has a floral/ citrus scent but that (thankfully) doesn't last long. The citrus fades and floral notes remain. The floral notes are airy and soft and blend together nicely (reminds me of the soft smell of a flower garden after the rain). After 30 minutes or so, notes of peony and green tea stand out. The green tea is light and inoffensive (sometimes I can't detect it at all). Sometimes I can smell a faint peach note before the base notes kick in. This is my favorite part of this fragrance...It smells so nice when the amber, cedar, and musk pull through the light floral notes...It is a classy fragrance that I choose time and time again.

dyLO's avatar

Deseo for Men by Jennifer Lopez

I'm not sure what everyone else here is smelling, but I think its a great smell. Woody, with a hint of citrus. Although a lot of other stuff smells similar, it is a generic celeb frag. But still good.

sjohnjay's avatar

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

This smells watered-down but decent enough. Bizarre, sweet opening that morphs into a more appealing dry/crisp, invigorating scent. Less conforming to mass-market standards than the other RL stuff, but not necessarily any more "sophisticated". I would never purchase this myself, as it lasts about 2 hrs and is relatively mundane. This is ill-suited to represent something called the "purple-label"; the word "green" should be in the title instead. RL purple-label's saving graces are: 1) it does smell quite good for the short time it lasts, and 2) it's VERY versatile (any occasion).