Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

Very sharp opening wash redolent of citrus and violets. The dry down has an unpleasant spike which reminds me of curry powder. A deeply disappointing blend of ill matched ingredients.

Kittycat63's avatar

Sunset Boulevard by Gale Hayman

I took a chance and purchased this over the internet without having smelled it first because I'd read good reviews about it, because it was so reasonably priced (about $10 for 100ml!!) and because Gale Hayman products are not readily available in England so I wouldn't be able to buy it here. Luckily, when it arrived I was relieved that it is a very nice perfume and lived up to the good things I had heard about it. It's very pleasant smelling, light and sweet but not overly so. Supposedly orange is one of the main notes in it but I don't smell that at all, which is a good thing because I don't like the smell of orange in perfumes! I don't think it's a real head turner kind of perfume but one which is very pleasant smelling anyway, easy to wear anytime, day or night, and would just as easily appeal to a young woman as to an older one. Also, for quite an expensive smelling perfume the price is incredibly good. I doubt anybody would find this perfume objectionable and stinky! I can definitely recommend it.

Kittycat63's avatar

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

This perfume is heavy and pungent! I was very disappointed with the smell because I LOVE Oxygene and Eclat D'Arpege, both Lanvin perfumes, but Rumeur was a big let-down. I gave it a fair chance and left it on my skin for as long as I could stand, the smell never softened or mellowed and it smelled exactly the same an hour or so later as when I first sprayed it on. In the end I couldn't wait to wash it off and even then I couldn't get rid of the smell entirely. This is the kind of perfume that I would find really objectionable in an office kind of situation where you have no chance of escaping from the smell! I had ordered a bottle of this over the internet without having smelled it first because the price was great and because I do love Oxygene and Eclat D'Arpege, but I'm going to be returning it so that I can exchange it for a perfume that doesn't make me recoil in horror! The only good thing about this perfume, in my opinion, is that it is incredibly long-lasting so for someone who does find it appealing that would be a good thing, although for people who can't stand it that would be very bad! Personally, I think the parfumier who created Rumeur should be ashamed of himself!!

Royal Delight by Creed

I have not yet smelled it on a male. I only wore it myself and find it too masculine and too heavy.
    I really don't recomend it for any younger women ...not very sexy.
    Nevertheless I do like the scent from the bottle, I think it might be quite nice on a more mature woman or a guy.

Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia

...not a bad smell but it is not something you would want to wear on yourself.
    It is very easily to discribe: It smells EXACTLY like that stuff you put in you closet to keep the moths off them. Accordingly it reminds me of the smell that jumps at you when opening grandma's closet or the one of an old wool swater.
    I definitely cannot imagine anyone would want to wear this on their skin ...but then again if you are scared of moths it might be a good investment!

Coeur de Vahiné by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I have never really gotten along with fragrances that make you smell like a fruit bonbon. This is one of them.
    Topped by the heavy vanilla and cream it amost makes my stomach hurt a little. It is also clearly noticable that is is a chaper fragrance meaning that the party is over only after a few minutes.
    Maybe for a 13 year old but nothing for me.

Beach by Norma Kamali

In my opinion it does not smell like "beach". For that it is missing the sunny notes and brightness.
    So maybe they meant a beach up north: dewy, beautiful but way too cold to go for a swim.
    Freshly showered or alpine water with a hint of green would have been more accurate descriptions.

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

Very dry, rather herbal than sweet. In fact I don't find it sweet at all but quite unisex.
    It is a matter of personal taste I guess. I really miss the sparkle though. Considering the whole presentation I would have expected it to be a little more vivid.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

It does smell a little soapy in the bedinning but after the fruits and light flowers start so appear it turn into a very nice well rounded fragrance. Definitely classy with the musk but not too heavy or powdery and still youthful and feminine.

GapBody Coconut Tuberose by Gap

Do not buy this because of the coconut! All I could smell was tuberose and not good ones!
    There are flowers that smell nice but there are those that smell bad, musty/moldy, weirdly dominant and powdery.
    Seriously, where are the coconuts? ...maybe they appear after some time but I really do not feel tempted to give it try thinking about having to wear rotten flowers for that long.

Cashmere for Women by Cristiano Fissore

It actually smells quite nice. The descriptions don't promise too much: It does smell like a freshly bought and expencive cashmere sweater, very warm and cozy not to forget very light and subtle.
    A very fine composition regarding the price though I must say it would have to be something a little more special and exciting causing me to run and buy the bottle.

Scentaur's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

It really is suitable for sport or gym wear. The impact of this scent is better during the 90s. If you're feeling nostalgic, then go help yourself with this one. Old school but still kicking.

underglass's avatar

Grass by Gap

I used to use Grass perfume from the Gap in the 90’s. I went back then to get more and I was brokenhearted to see it had been discontinued. I ordered a set from eBay and was thrilled with it. I pestered the Gap for a long time to get it back and today, 1/9/09, it was back. Excited, I sprayed it on and was very disappointed. It smelled nothing like my old Grass. It’s totally different. The old Grass smelled like the memory of a sunny day spent lolling on the grass. The old fragrance was rich, polished, slightly aldehydic, soft, not biting, and had a hint of a deep flower at the end. And it really smelled like grass. To my nose, this new Grass does not have any grass or floral smell in it at all. It might be in there, but it does not come through. The only thing I can smell in it is thin, raspy cucumber. Actually, it smells like a sharp shampoo. I will just keep with the original Grass perfume I have. I’m glad I bought the big size.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I have owned Armani Eau Pour Homme many times. These days I am looking for more natural, complex and less brash fragrances, but this I used to love to wear.

Cool Water by Davidoff

A straight forward fragrance to splash on before going to the gym. Nothing more.

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

My brother gave me a bottle of this in 1990 and I was immediately fascinated. Over the intervening 18 years I have had many bottles. To me it conjures up images of wool imbued with fine white tobacco smoke, dark libraries surrounded by leather bound volumes and the clink of fine crystal glasses full of Scotch in the background. Mature, masculine, comforting, it is also a confident scent that can be worn for almost any occasion. I would go so far as to say that this is my signature scent. Just buy it.

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I am surprised by many of the reviews that say this scent does not last. On me it lasts for hours. One of my current favourites.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Come closer and be charmed. There is a low key sophistication to this fragrance, however it is not ground breaking or sufficiently different to seek it out and buy it. If someone gives you this as a gift, you will like and use it, but probably never replace it.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Not exactly subtle, this scent smells predominantly of strawberry on me. If I want to smell of fruit I'll rub myself in it, not spray myself with a food essence. It's hard to imagine this coming out of a French fashion house. Perhaps some American muffin food chain...?

Dunhill London by Dunhill

Stands firmly in the shadow of the infinitely superior Dunhill Edition. This fragrance that is named after one of the worlds great cities, shares none of it's character. Give it a miss. Generic, boring, unremarkable.

Unforgivable Black by Sean John

I own it. You can have it. Indistinct and muddled.

rb89's avatar

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

I disagree that it fades quickly. The other day, I used a couple sprays in the morning. That evening, I went for an allergy shot. The nurse could still recognize it; her son got the same fragrance for Christmas.

ravetastic's avatar

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Insolence for me is like a tragic (or is it comic?) scenario out of a movie about dating. Boy meets girl (or in this case girl meets perfume), and is immediately attracted to the sparkling eyes (the tempting fruit and sparkle at the top), the quality structure and namesake (Guerlain), the attractive packaging, and the promise of something new. Boy asks girl out and they begin dating. The first hour is wonderful. There's the rush of many sensations, all popping out at different moments, each unique, each exciting. Some youthful, some wise, some beautiful, some nostalgic. As they go on, boy begins to realize that something is not quite right with the girl. She is in fact too good to be true. But the more boy tries to cool it with girl, the stronger she comes on to him. She grows and grows into a cloud of suffocation and eventually smothers him into a sea of dizziness. The perfume collapses into a sickening pile of powdery cotton oxygen-depriving mess. Boy swears he will never date girls again. Their child, My Insolence, by the way, retains many of the psycho properties of mother Insolence, but is tempered somewhat by the father's good sensibilities.

I swear to you I wore this perfume once on a night out with my husband and was an experience I won't soon forget. I was uplifted from post-shower dousing to dressing. I realized during dinner something wasn't quite right. I suffered through a movie, and by the time I got home, I had to strip off the turtleneck I was wearing and ran immediately to the shower. A collapsed mess of powder, cotton candy and AquaNet hairspray. Simply awful.

ComDiva's avatar

Royall Spice by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Dry, dry gourmand spices that on "sweet" skin like mine end up smelling like I rubbed pumpkin pie spices all over myself. :) I can see this smelling wonderful on someone who brings out marine or bitter notes in their wearings. Nice, especially for the price, just not for me.

omniray's avatar

212 by Carolina Herrera

i cant forget this fragance, simply my fav female of all time .. theres something sexy, soft and warm there... wonderful femenine smell.

scentimus's avatar

Guess Man by Guess

I can so smell that the perfumer who unleashed Calvin Klein's Escape for men also created this monster. The key word to with Escape was "synthetic" and it is also used here with Guess for men.

The scent opens very sharply on citrus notes that lead to a fresh fourge / marine flavor then the woody / forest / bed of pine needles emerges with a heady dose of sandalwood. From there it is headache city - this seems to be the perfumers calling card for he used this same theme with Escape for men. Unfortunately or should I say happily Guess for men doesn't last as long as his Escape does.

zen-diego's avatar

Royal Water by Creed

The musk and lemon give a promising start, but then it quickly moves to a more delicate, floral touch. This is more feminine then I am accustomed to wearing. The first time I wore this to work, a co-worker kept sniffing the air and commenting how she kept smelling rose water. She didn't detect its source and it just didn't occur to me. A few days later and I wore it again. I asked a female friend/co-worker what she thought of it a few hours in, and she said "honestly, a bit grandmotherly". That's when I realized the previously unidentified rosewater smell had come from me! A third weekend application, and at dry-down- sure enough, there was the drugstore floral mixed with Jergens lotion, just as I recall it from Grammie. A vaguely pleasant sense of nostalgia, but certainly a scent for me.

TaoLady's avatar

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

Broadway Nite works TERRIFIC on me...the violets and honeysuckle rose bloom lush and bold over the cedar and vanilla. The musk rumbles and purrs...and this is a great rendition of the brilliance and exhilaration of the bright lights of Broadway. Sillage and longevity top notch...one of my favorite Bonds.

Endymion's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

I don't care about how synthetic this fragrance is! I don't listen to the negative reviews here (9+/7-), pretty bad.
    I actually really love this fragrance! I feel that is does fits my personality, if you know what I mean.
    It vibrates, and I love fragrances that vibrate.
    Ultraviolet Man is modern and youthful.
    The fragrance doesn't project extremely well and doesn't have very good staying power. However, I love to wear it because it gives me pleasure to smell it on myself :) And I think, it's nice enough to get from a cologne.

nthny's avatar

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan isn't playing around with the name here. There's a "flour in a barrel at the health food store" impression from first whiff that has put a smile on the face of everyone I've shoved this in front of. This is followed by what I originally deemed a peanut butter note but with further applications realized reminded me much more specifically of Halvah bars which are made of extremely finely ground sesame seeds and sugar. I don't know why but I have a feeling if I owned this I'd wear it all the time. It's just good mood inducing fragrance ingenuity and I love it. I think the inclusion of iris gives it an alluring and somewhat luxurious edge as well. The most amazing part is that the weight of the fragrance seems to be that of flour. It's weightless but present. Yum!