Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

aussiepiper's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

I agree with Kevin on nowsmellthis, but I still like it enough to buy it.

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

If I sit with my nose pressed against my wrist, I can smell the potential- but when I wear this it's like I'm a gigantic walking clove leaf. It's very distinctive, and I wouldn't call it strictly "feminine" until it's been worn for about 30 minutes and a teensy bit of the clove has worn off. Though it doesn't work with me, so I wouldn't wear it out- I occasionally give myself a squirt when I'm sure I'll be home all day because it's reminiscent of something in my past that I can't pinpoint, but I find cozy and comforting.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Patchouli! Wow! If I sniff the bottle, I can discern the other (sweeter, better, more desirable) notes- but when I put it on I reek of patchouli. All day. The scent doesn't change on me, it just slowly fades away to nothing. I gave it to a patchouli-loving friend of mine. She's enamored- I'm disappointed.

Pearl by Sage Machado

I love the smell, it's so soft and inviting. My only complaint (seemingly with the entire Sage Machado collection) is the complete lack of sillage. I would hate to walk around leaving a cloud of stink in my wake, but to spend $60+ on a fragrance that only I (and others with which I am in -extremely- personal situations) can enjoy is such a waste- especially since I smell so delicious when sporting this frag. On the plus side, since it stay so close to the skin- it's one of my few "favorites" that can be pulled off at the office or in a crowded place. It's good to have a "safety" perfume that could NEVER possibly offend anyone.

Onyx by Sage Machado

I love this fragrance. It's sweet, yet smoky. Light, but unmistakeably sensual. To me, it feels "older", like something my grandma would wear when she was my age- before a night out on the town with someone special. (Not that it smells like older perfumes, it's just an impression I get.) Because of that, it gives me a sophisticated feeling. Slightly more sillage than Pearl (my other Sage Machado love), but still only discernible by those with whom you become up close and personal. Wearing this fragrance definitely gets me feeling ready for some closeness with others.

Lawst's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

This is a scent you either love or hate. Personally I love it. I've worn it for years and have never seen any reaction in between. I've rarely had a bad reaction from men. Definitely not for the office. This is not for the feint of heart and, unfortunately, it doesn't work on everyone. Knock-down, drag-out, 1980's sex-tiger Tuberose. I'll only wear it for clubbing or social events that don't include sitting down to dinner. I definitely won't wear it if I don't want to be noticed. Tuberose, musk, dark fruits and woods with, as mentioned in other reviews, phenominal staying power.

Lawst's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I love this stuff...now. When I first tried it I got a snootfull of GARDENIAS and FRUIT and felt as if Carmen Miranda was trying to samba her way into my sinus cavity. After that the sample languished in the back of my cabinet for a couple months until I felt brave enough to try it again.

On the second try I still get that gardenia, which never goes away but tones down after a bit. In the dry down is when the richness comes though. Vanilla, peach, tea (?), warm floral, tuberose, cinnamon. I can't wear it unless I'm already in a good mood though otherwise it hits me like a morning person before I've had my first cup of coffee. I don't suggest wearing it to the office unless you give it time to mellow out.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Distinction has hardly ever known a more worthy and dignified expression, as this olfactory creation is truly memorable. Smells a bit like Santos plus a more aromatic and citric opening, than Santos could ever achieve in its mysterious, but seductive ways, plus the chypre style refinement of some rather classic and formal male scents by Guerlain, Chanel, Givenchy and YSL from the past. Regarding the previous sentence, the suave smoothness, combined with the understated class of Monsieur de Givenchy, Gentleman, the original YSL pour Homme and Chanel pour Monsieur is present from the first whiff, but only as an opening, yet never copying these scents in any way. It than takes a very different approach, a twist regarding a persistent and highly aromatic woody background, which only adds more masculinity and sobriety to this already very well balanced composition. French- made extravagance, combined with outstanding, absolutely flawless technical achivements.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I was nearly fooled by a quite relaxing, easygoing and unspectacular introduction- with many "sweet", aquatic- ozonic undertones. But once this first impression has passed, a blast of spice and truly "dark", edgy notes take over. Seems like two very different perfumes in one, as the styles, the intensity and the suitability for formal or informal use are extremely different between the first impression the final drydown.

manicboy's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

In a field of vetivers, this one does NOT stand out. Truth in labeling, the vetiver here is of the minimal variety. Smooth and a bit dull if you ask me. Tonka is the star here. It's nice but again, the competition in Vetivers is very strong, and this does nothing for me. Exorbitantly overpriced for what it is. Spend your money elsewhere. And get back to work Monsieur Elena, you can do better than this.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Hiris by Hermès

I appreciate the artistry and intelligence of this perfume.
    The cold, metallic top is remarkable and unlike anything else I've smelled; it then opens out into a warmer, more traditional iris fragrance.
    Sadly though, it just wasn't me and I swapped my bottle away.

scentsitivity's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

I don’t think I will ever get a “clean” scent for myself. But if I changed my mind, I certainly would consider Gendarme. It is a bit classier than the typical clean scent with a decent construction. Definitely inoffensive. One thing I smell is a touch of wintergreen in the background. Also, a watery note. I get better longevity than most of the reviewers here. I do get a smooth leather in the base; a bit subtle, but still there.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Fumidus by Profumum

to say that I had high expectations for this scent is my understatement of the new year.

Yes, the opening is smoky boozy peaty. Laphroaig it ain't (I'm a fan) although I must admit that I've been tempted to dab an Islay malt at my pulse points more than once.

However, and this is most shocking, I was sitting at my desk tonight thinking, "did I put Encre Noir on earlier? I don't think so."

Yes, folks, that is correct. Fumidus smells pitch perfect like Encre Noir after about 45 minutes.

Save yourself the ducats on this Profumum, buy the Encre Noir instead along with a bottle of 18yo Ardbeg, and you'll still have scratch left over.

The sideways thumb because I'm P.O.'d that my hopes were dashed, but also because I'd be ticked if I shelled out Profumum caliber coin and it matched my 65 dollar EdT.

germanomio's avatar

France France

Pi by Givenchy

overly sweet and synthetic !
    a shame

12 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2009)

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Hiris by Hermès

Mainstream powdery floral with support of iris. Quite generic, more suitable for women than men.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

This is a cheesy, fungal, rancid horror-show of a white floral. Easily one of the worst things I've ever smelled.

The top notes feature the titular gardenia - which, to be fair, is nice and accurate - married to a note that smells for all the world like blue cheese. As the fragrance develops, the blue cheese note gains in intensity and becomes more fungal, like rotting mushrooms smeared with rancid butter.

The sillage and longevity are excellent and clearly inspired by theological notions of an eternity in Hell.

Abandon hope all ye who spritz here.

Hilaire's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

I must say I don't get the figs that some seem to, but I get a huge bang of fresh Tomato stems which I think is very much intended, it's followed by sicilian lemon and hints of thyme and verbena all of which remind me of spectacular holidays in Positano, Italy, which I'm pretty sure would be where this gorgeous sunny brezzy garden would be.

I love this scent to bits.

mattp420's avatar

I am King by Sean John

If I'm not mistaken, this is a placeholder for the new I AM KING fragrance from Sean John. Received as a gift this Christmas - what a disappointment....an extremely harsh grapefruit opening which quickly fades into....nothing as far as I can tell. I'm pretty impressed with Unforgiveable but this is just an exercise in style before substance. AVOID.

Fragranza's avatar

Germany Germany

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

Boring, so boring. I do expect something more of Guerlain than such a bland, inoffensive pale powdery floral without character. L'Instant Magic was a big disappointment to me.

valentinamaltese's avatar

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

Notes according to Fragrantica: The composition starts of casually, light and fresh, including aldehydes, bergamot, green notes, neroli and pineapple. The classical floral heart is composed of jasmine, orange blossom, rose, tuberose and ylang-ylang. Oriental base includes cinnamon notes, civet, musk, opoponax, vetiver, sandalwood and vanilla.
    It's one of the first perfumes I discovered in my eary teens and smells wonderful for the price.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This seems to have been discontinued in the UK now. You can still buy Joop and Beyond Paradise though -- where's the sense.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

T42 is very nice, I get a little tobacco/smoke with the tea also. The drydown is very sweet and I love it. The sillage is subdued though. It won't take your breath away, but if you like the smell of sweet tea, you will love this.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

I'm not sure about the longevity yet, but I do like this. The grapefruit and coffee mixes suprisingly well. The end product smells somewhat like Guerlain's L'Instant imo, without the citrus, which can't be bad for the price I paid. There is much worse than this out there and I'll wear happily.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

My favourite of this rather disappointing line by Tom Ford. His new 'Pour Homme' is ghastly. I think this works though and the mix between the two main notes is just right imo. The sillage is fine and the longevity is fantastic. The price tag is incomprehensible though and why only 50ml and 250ml?. A thumbs up for the scent only here.

Costume National 21 by Costume National

This is a a lovely fragrance celebrating CN' s 21st anniversary and I agree with everyone about the notes . Sillage is ok and longevity is outstanding on me. So why the neutral? Because 21 smells exactly like Bogart Pour Homme, which is a fair bit cheaper. I wonder if they know?

analavande's avatar

Homage Attar by Amouage

Homage is a luscious bouquet of the most ambrosial, luxurious and intoxicating roses one could ever imagine. In the opening, in harmony with the roses, there is a micro burst of refined citrus that lingers just long enough to introduce another pleasing and more dulcet citrus during the drydown. The roses, without relinquishing their preeminence, gently lay down into a magnificent bed of rich, but pleasant and mild, frankincense that has been mingled with sweet citrus, smooth amber, sexy musk and beautifully balanced wood. I fell in love with this attar.

tanto's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Unfortunately, no matter how much I try to like this fragrance it just doesn't work (for me anyway). It is absolutely horrible. There is a "chocolatey" scent to it that I find sickening. I like all of the other Givenchy scents (except Pi). Very Irresistible should be taken off the market. I'm shocked that it has lasted this long. Who wears it?

Ambra / Amber by Santa Maria Novella

I've tried quite a few SMNs by now, and this is the only clunker I've yet to come across from this house. Instead of a robust amber, this fragrance is transparent and feels very synthetic. Nearly any other niche amber would be better, which is surprising because SMN's own Amber/Lavender is quite good, and very rich.

If you want something sweet from SMN, go with the Vaniglia.

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

As I've come to expect with SMN, this is another high-quality and robust fragrance. Linear, yes.... but realistic, enjoyable, and very aromatic. I'd take this over almost any other incense type fragrance. Foetidus' review is dead-on, and there's not much to add besides reporting that longevity was 10-12 hours. Real good stuff.

Aoud Damascus by Montale

A very impressive - and successful - Montale oud accord. I've been finding that some of the Aoud series work great (White Aoud, SIlver Aoud), while some are dissonant and, IMHO, not successful (Aoud Ambre, Aoud Lime). However, Montale does roses well, and this fragrance is perhaps one of their best.

What's really appealing is the balance... the oud, which is strong at first, never overpowers the rose, and conversely the rose isn't so dominant that the oud is only lurking in the background. At points, I don't even really smell oud and rose, but rather the intersection of the two as if a new note was just created. The effect of this superb balance is that the rose note avoids the problems inherent to many rose fragrances, such as being too sweet, too fruity, or even too earthy. Likewise, the oud avoids becoming too medicinal and overbearing as it can get in Black Aoud or even M7. As the heart emerges, I can get little whiffs of incense(?)... though fleeting. From the hear the fragrance simply fades out over the course of 4-5 hours.

Really, a great, different take on rose and a bottle I'd love to have.