Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Kismet's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Alien is not Angel. It is nothing like Angel whatsoever.

Alien is a jasmine-heavy floriental. Alien is potent and leans toward being sweet and synthetic. It's mostly a sweet jasmine fragrance with a brief green-ish phase and an ambery-musky base.

I would compare Alien to Dior Poison in style and potency.

I happen to like Alien. In small doses it's beautiful.

fragranceluvr's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

I REALLY, REALLY LIKE THIS ONE! It reminds me of Aqua Di Gio by Armani because of the salty facet to it; but this fragrance has a more aquatic, outdoorsy, sea spray character, whereas Aqua Di Gio smells more of fresh clean skin. This fragrance smells of fresh sea air, the sea spray and ocean water [if ocean water had a scent] and cleanliness. Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme Marine is my new favorite. I would recommend wearing this scent during the Spring/Summer months. Furthermore, this scent is a very good cologne to wear to work and on the weekends...it is a very non-obtrusive or offensive fragrance. A very casual, relaxed cologne, easy to wear. I highly recommend this fragrance.

Truffles's avatar

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Mmmm, got this for Christmas - a set with body cream - gorgeous - old fashioned, quality and very wearable.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Japanese Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

I love this fragrance...It is sexy, sensual, warm, and intriguing. On me it is a blend of luscious oriental/ woodsy florals. I can't get enough of this scent. The notes blend beautifully and it seems to last on me. It smells clean and is soft and light. The longevity stays consistent from beginning to end. It is spicy, exotic, and enchanting . I couldn't stop smelling my wrist after spraying this on myself...very interesting the way the middle and base notes come together...just lovely.

's avatar

Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas

I have no issues with the current formula. It seems more plastic in the introduction phase, a little "soapier" in the start, but this is a soapy scent, and I love good soap. In fact, when I first spritz it, I am always thinking of the perfect bar of soap... perhaps a startling, memorable discovery, in the most stately, historic Italian hotel, of a luxuriant bar of impossibly unique soap in the lavatory.

The drydown is the real treasure, though. A really dizzying, luxurious and sensuous thing. It's amazingly evocative lingering on clothing, and its sillage is extremely enduring.

Oddly, I don't wear this out often. I think because I like to keep it almost a secret, or I am so enamored of it, I exalt it too much ... like a perfect vintage silk garment.

It is very ladylike, and I really 'feel' the intentions of Guy Robert when I smell it. What a dashing yet luscious, willful yet poised, sexy and coy woman he had in mind!

01st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2009)

Bartlebooth's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

It is difficult to pick a favourite fragrance of all time as often it depends on your frame of mind or under what circumstances you are using one, but I think I will find it almost impossible to find something to top Bois du Portugal. I would suggest that you live with this for a while before you pass complete judgement. It actually acts on me as a pick-me-up. I feel better just by using it on a regular basis. This is a rich varied scent, weaving a heady tapestry into the opening accord, before settling into the eponymous woody tones. These evolve through the entire day, becoming somewhat sweeter towards the evening. This is perfect for 3 seasons of the year, summer wear would not be suggested for this fragrant behemoth.

Mapletop's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I admit when I first smelled this cologne years ago I hated it. You have to let this one dry a few minutes before you smell it. It does open on a gasoline note. This time I tried many different ones and carried the spray cards with me to smell them after they had dried down. This one dries down so good. The opening note of the gas like smell was gone. I instantly bought this one, very unique and definining. Very nice masculine scent. My partner loves it.

abc1234's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

This is a very powerful and complex fragrance. I am a newbie and bought this solely based on reviews here on Basenotes. Man what a wonderful product! The first day I got it, I was kinda shocked by the 'weird' smell as I was used to sweet/refresh generic fragrances from Macy's. After a few weeks, now I am totally hooked by it. It touches the emotions like no other. In late night when I working on computer and surfing the net, I kept sniffing it on my wrist and couldn't get enough of it. I really is a classic.

I don't have all the terminologies -- it has a uplifted tobacco hint, a very pleasant and intoxicate one. After a while it fads into a clean Guerlain Vetiver smell but with much more texture and layers. Very warm hearted feeling.

Two thumbs WAY UP!!!

01st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2009)

Royal's avatar

Axe Lab by Axe / Lynx

A very good casual scent, especially for the eight (!) dollars I spent for my 1.7. It dies out pretty fast, but works well for refreshing after a workout or going out with the guys.

stefanos.f's avatar

Greece Greece

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

I would like to say that IF there was a parfume that could make me go nuts when ever a woman was whearing it... IT DEFINITELY was this one. Driving me crazy... So it was the parfume I also got for my wife. After 11 years there is no other parfume that makes me want to smell it until my nose hurts. I will pay what ever it costs to have it allways available for her.

Dr. Pat's avatar

Happy by Clinique

Bought on impulse, now seems thin and bland floral to me, but I get many compliments about this. Twice I've been stopped by men and asked the name so they could buy it for girlfriends.

rogalal's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

I got a sample of this at the Deisel store when it first came out. It's very Italian - extremely sweet and strong, not really my thing. Honestly, to me, it smells like Twizzlers or Red Vines, but stronger and sweeter. There's pretty much no subtlety to it. It makes the most sense as a nightclub fragrance, because it's strong enough that people will be able to smell it over all the other smells.

Kismet's avatar

Amarige Harvest Mimosa 2007 by Givenchy

This is an UNBELIEVABLY Gorgeous fragrance.

It bears a strong resemblance to the original Amarige (of course) but is *cleaner* less artificial and more obviously focused on delectable mimosa.

It smells like it has very high quality ingredients, even more so than most niche perfumes. All the Givenchy Harvest Editions are sublime and so smooooth.

I suppose you must like Amarige to begin with, because if you abhor regular Amarige I doubt you'd like the Harvest edition; but these Harvest Editions are absolutely amazing. The boxes and bottles are gorgeous, too.

Striking. Stunning. Beautiful.

01st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st May, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

A spicy aromatic fougère scent from the early 70s. Fresh and spicy top notes lead to a heart of woods and florals, with a base of amber, resins, musk, coumarin, and vanilla. Great sillage right off and then gets quieter; longevity varies depending on temperature. An appealing scent: fresh, energizing, suave, not overwhelming.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Touaregh by Il Profumo

Yellow rose and some wood, this is a soft somewhat sweet mellow floral that is absolutely lovely. Lovely, I think, for a special lady, like Katherine Hepburn, who wears trousers, drinks Famous Grouse, and smokes. For a guy? A close thing, but in the final analysis, I think not. I wear my samples in the evening when it is soothing and rich and works with a dressing gownt, but only then. Thumbs up for ladies and a neutral for the fellows. Try it if yellow rose fragrance intrigues.

manicboy's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

Rather simple and quite linear scent. All vanilla and not much else. Bored me to tears. Think they blew their wad on the bottle (one the best out there) and forgot to put some creativity in the juice. Smells very synthetic too. One of the few good qualities of Pi is that it has good sillage & longevity. However, there's much better orientals out there like Heritage, Must PH Essence and Egoiste. Spend your money on these and forget about Pi. Except if you're into Trigonometry!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Powder Flowers by Montale

Keiko Mecheri's LOUKHOUM meets Chanel's NO.5! Aldehydic almond powder with a sheer floral backround, that's about the best description I can give! I have also tried Sweet Oriental Dream from Montale and find Powder Flowers more wearable, not overly sweet.

tvlampboy's avatar

Cefiro by Floris

A fusion of CKOne and L'Eau d'Issey, with more similarity to the former than the latter. Very strong, very crisp and clean. Still, there's nothing new or exciting here -- just typical of what dominated the market ten to fifteen years ago.

A stinker? By no means. I'll even give it a thumbs up for good construction and strength. All that said, i wouldn't buy it simply because the price tag isn't warranted given what you get for your buck. Get CKOne instead and save yourself the moolah.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Aigner Man ² by Etienne Aigner

Somewhere between Paco Rabanne Black XS and the like. not as sweet as Black XS, not as leathery as Polo Explorer, not as synthetic/fresh as Versace Man eau Fraiche. As it dries it gives off Armani Code vibes...interesting but not amust have in my book.

scentsitivity's avatar

Vanille Absolu by Montale

A high quality vanilla and that seems to be just about it. Nothing wrong with it – in fact, I love it. Decent longevity. I think this would smell especially nice on a lady. I recommend it, but if you need complexity, consider something else.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Nicolaï pour Homme by Nicolaï

Indeed, a damned fine fragrance.
    Starts out with a beautifully bright lemon/ citrus... but quickly morphs into a citrus/ lavender warmth.
    As the esteemed tvlampboy calls this a more friendly Gris Clair, I rather find this to be Caron's le 3Man perfected. While there is a certain discordance to the Caron (which may be its charm), PdN does this scent with such grace and suave handling of materials, it's as though Michelangelo came upon a da Vinci, altered it ever so slightly, and made a genius reflection upon a work of genius.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Yeah, I get the clove cigarette vibe.
    For too long, though, this just smells like cheap cinnamon incense.
    I had high hopes for you, SN!

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Let me be the first one to give this one a thumbs down.

It smells fresher than the original alright, but I would hardly call this a fresh oriental. It's more of a light oriental. The aoud is pushed into the background, and a very medicinal accord dominates the fragrance. It reminds me of south east asian medicine.

Now, if you're not of asian descent, I can imagine you smell exotic wearing this frag. However, if you are, then you just smell like you did when you had the flu when you were younger, and your mom just put on some medicine on you.

Yikes.

jathanas's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

Cypress scents are usually found wanting due to their linear development; the pine dominates, leading to associations with disinfectants, toilet cleaners etc.
    Tuscan Cypress is an exception. While the cypress accord is there it is masterfully balanced by the herbal/citrus opening and the aromatic lavender heart. This is the best of the blu mediterraneo line to my eyes. Versatile and beautiful it is a keeper to be enjoyed on a any casual occasion, the office, a warm day... the possibilities are endless.
    Mediterranean minimalism at its best!

reveillee's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Just a great scent. A must try. Longevity could be a little better.

02nd January, 2009 (Last Edited: 27th November, 2009)

reveillee's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Very sharp scent. Fresh at first but this goes away quickly. May not be well liked for those used to the new boring generic colognes. Develops nicely with good sillage and longevity. I think I will have to buy a full bottle.

Gblue's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

Suitably different for me. Banana/ink opening is fun.
    After a while all I get is ink, which is great. I really like the idea of ink as a fragrance, but I'm glad I don't have to apply big blobs to my wrist and chest to get the effect.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My favorite lavender scent. I prefer this over SL's own Encens et Lavande. This is very charismatic and unique.

Ashy and dry lavender. Lasts long and leaves a very pleasant trail. Perfect for the well-dressed sophisticated.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Vanille Extreme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Smells just like Jergens' Shea Butter Cream Lotion with a touch of vanilla pods.

It sure does smell synthetic, but what did you expect?

lizzie_j's avatar

Annayaké Pour Elle by Annayaké

A lively green floral! Like everything I have tried from this house, I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of the fragrance. Did this really come out in the era of too sweet fruity florals? It's simply delightful. Bergamot, a hint of cumin, green tea, watery notes, maybe a hint of pepper..lots of zest and personality. Though green florals are not my usual modus operendi, this is a keeper, and challenges me to try more from this line, as well as this olfactive group.