Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

bbBD's avatar

Film Noir by Ava Luxe

This was a blind buy and my first time ever trying an Ava Luxe, so I had no idea what to expect. The top is a serious WHOA! The opening is very animalistic and has the 'jet fuel leather' type of accord you find in Carion en Avion. On paper this gassy note lasts a while, but on the skin it settles quickly into a subtle and light leather accord. This leather may be one of those conglomerations of notes that create the effect of leather, but to my nose these notes are so well blended that it smells just like light leather.

It remains like this for quite a few hours, and I figured it would just fade away as a light leather. However, the base really opens up and even sweetens.... I get hints of rose, tonka, and coumarin - I'd even swear I get hints of fruit/berry, though this may be the rose.

To smell the top notes and then the base, you'd never ever think that it's the same fragrance, such is the massive difference between them. There is some real artistry here, and I'm glad this blind buy was successful. I'm now really looking forward to checking out more from Ava Luxe.

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

The opening is a singing, fresh olfactory image of a flower stem, goes a little grassy and then transforms to a bitter citrus (like the skin of an unripe white grapefruit). Absolutely refreshing, very, very nice - though not really a lot like actual honeysuckle (at least not like the ones I'm growing). I find that the real honeysuckle tends to have a honeyed, milky element in there. There is a slight downer about this scent; the longevity is poor.

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

Loukhoum = Johnson's Baby Oil + vanilla pipe tobacco + honey.

Really bizarre, interesting, overpowering; I can see how this could be a total love affair for some, but I couldn't wear it; it's too sickly for me.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a bit insane. I'm bizarrely drawn to it (it feels like being drawn to something you shouldn't be drawn to, in itself an experience that sets your pulse racing!). I'm also thrown because I don't normally like the smell of whisky - and this smells a lot like whisky (single malt, clear, dry, woody). It also smells like celeriac root and red rubber bands.

W.T.F.

And yet it's really quite beautiful! And I do want to smell of it. I have fallen in love with a very improbable beast.

Umè by Keiko Mecheri

The notes and the fragrance (to me) seem not to match; this made me feel as if someone had cut out a segment of Coco Chanel and transplanted it over a different base. Extremely pretty and wearable.

vintage*red's avatar

Citron by Slatkin

What I have been using, liking & buying all that I can find is the citron & orange blossom (yes, combined into ONE fragrance) shower cream & body lotion. I have been using this with Mitsouko EDP & parfum, and I love them together. The scent is uncomplicated, sweet (but not too sweet) citrus with an earthy neroli blossom finish.

soirdelune's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

Today, I am having a life-affirming experience, one so happy and complete that I feel I have been re-acquainted with a lost part of my soul. I am wearing Tabac Blond for the very first time. It is so perfect for me that I am emotional, could truly cry. I've always known just from the reviews that this would be my kind of perfume: on the dark side, unconventional, idiosyncratic, gender-bending. It's also beautiful in the extreme: golden tobacco warmth, liquory leather, clovey carnation, balsamic, the prettiest, most ladylike, of patchouli bases. So denigrated in its current fomulation by Luca Turin, I can only wonder with reverent awe how its antecedent must have smelled.

kinghamhouse's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

As a guy I really do not have a problem with this one, my only slight criticism is that there is not enough longevity as compared to the Amouage Gold for women. After ten hours of wearing both, what is left of men's certainly has the hint of baby powder as noted above by Scent Surge.
    The women's version however has turned into a truly great masculine, sort of pure bred Arab horse wearing a brand new Hermes saddle returns to the Orient. Great stuff!

kinghamhouse's avatar

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I think that Une Rose is probably one of greatest fragrance creations of the C21st. It is the current favourite in my collection.
    As a guy I have no problem with it but because of its unbelievable strength and long lasting aromatic properties I do tend to put it on my lower torso so that the aroma 'seeps out' in a manageable way, on the face would perhaps be too much.
    One does have to be careful though since if it gets directly onto clothing it is quite detectable even after more than eight weeks, this can be a little boring since the only way to get rid of it is by dry cleaning, washing does not quite do it.
    Pookerella, a self confessed rose lover, says that it smells like rose and chemicals.
    I am pretty certain that the rose used here must come from the Turkish town of Isparta which is located in Anatolia.
    Isparta roses do not smell like your average garden rose, they have for centuries been grown for the perfume trade and having an unique fragrance, they are a surprise.
    Congratulations then to Edouard Flechier who is an unboubted genius and condolences to Nukapai (above) who gets 'a hint of unwashed underwear'.

Skin Bracer by Mennen

Its amazing how many expensive colognes smell like this Dollar-Store aftershave. I can remember when I was a child, my dad wearing this right after a shave. Most people would be nostalgic. As for me, I absolutely abhor this smell of synthetic, minty, overstrong green goop.

But if you truly love this stuff, check out Opium by YSL, Carven Homme, and even Burberry London.

The Dreamer by Versace

This has been said before about the beginning. Top notes are very harsh. You can actually smell the chemicals.

After a few hours is when Dreamer begins to reveal itself. This is when its Tobacco note blends with a sweet note. The final part of this cologne is completely worth the first few mintues of pain. Definite thumbs up from me.

Tommy 10 by Tommy Hilfiger

This was the very first cologne I ever owned. My friend's dad recommended this to me. For 2 years, I wore this religiously and did not even own another cologne. After I ran out of Tommy 10, I began to buy other colognes. NONE of them could compare to this scent (Bvlgari, Versace, even Creeds). Tommy 10 will always remain my signature scent.

Mirceaflorin put it perfectly when he said that Tommy 10 "has a metallic note". A side by side comparison with the Original Tommy tells me that the T 10 is a much more revamped formula that beats its former soapy yet citrusy smell. Also, this has a less sweeter than Original Tommy.

A similar scent to this would be Varvatos Vintage except that Varvatos is sweeter and cherrier. If you don't believe me, compare them side by side and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

archibald's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Pimento please in my Paella
    Powdered in my Paprikashes
    With Piccoline, in Puttanesca.

In Gucci, Habit Rouge, Escada
    It's scent is sharp and stale and clashes

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

In the beginning all I smell is pepper!!!! Pepper, pepper, pepper !!! The pepper smell lasts about ten minutes and then the green floral opens with the spiciness of wood and pepper. The green notes really pull through leaving a nice fresh scent (the green notes make this a very mild fragrance). I just love the way the notes change on my skin starting from the middle notes of pepper and florals, to the base notes of a woodsy/ spicy floral, to the top notes of a lovely green floral. The peony really stands out after 20-30 minutes and plays lovely with the Iris and the Rose (I personally do not like strong or harsh rose scents, the rose is very mild in this one). The florals finally pull through with the green leaves and a hint of musk leaving a beautiful clean floral scent. I cannot detect any almond notes in this even though it is listed above. I have had many compliments with this one. To me this is a sophisticated/ classy but very sexy fragrance....it's a keeper in my collection.

DolceBanana's avatar

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

Yes, it's good. Just like Perry Ellis' 360 degrees red in the first hour, then it dries down to nothing. Don't know which one came first, but Perry Ellis lasts longer and everyone always asks what you're wearing.

If you can't find 360degrees red anywhere, just go for the Escada.

charger's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Like others here, after reading the "rubber, burnt tires, tar" etc. I had to try it. And it doesn't disapoint. Who would have thought that a scent of tires would make a great cologne. There are other things in there too though, smoky wood, vanilla and spice. I don't get the unisex title, this is a straight up many scent for sure.

charger's avatar

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Black No. 1581 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

This scent smells almost exactly like Vaevatos Vintage. The vanilla is dominant in the dry down which I don't love as much, but overall this is nice scent. I also picked it up on clearance which makes it even better.

shimmerling's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

an attempt at duplicating green irish tweed gone wrong... if Coty went into this scent trying to make it original i think it would have turned out better... why must everyone try and make these crap spin-offs of creed fragrances? don't get me wrong i love scent that it offers, just not as good as green irish tweed

shimmerling's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

chemically speaking, this is NOTHING like green irish tweed... there is not a single ingredient that is used in this cologne that is in green irish tweed, so why must people insist they are somewhat identical... now the scent that green irish tweed has to offer is staged. you can definately know the difference between the heart notes and the base notes... with cool water, its just one mess it smells the same throughout and it seriously could not smell any les like green irish tweed... not impressed with this fragrance at all.

fountaingirl's avatar

Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920

This works just right with my chemistry to become heaven. It is sweet and honeyed, a little musky, spicy, round. The opening is almost sickly sweet and I think "why do I love this again??" but if I hang in for five minutes, it becomes warm and rich and glowing sweetness and then, "oh yes I remember, how could I ever forget?" and I'm in love again.

Bottle worthy!

Bartlebooth's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is a fine example of a Creed "Fresh" fragrance. For two or three hours this is a glorious experience as you allow your body heat to pulse warm gusts of citrus and bergamot. Sadly the joy is ephemeral, and after this brief period it settles down into something vague and bland. Still, the brightest star often burns the briefest.

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Oh my, this perfume reminds me of being 15 or 16 years old in high school! Back then, after receiving this as a gift, I did not like it. I thought the scent was too drab and cheaply. But after running across this scent in a local grocery store/mall a few days ago, I spritzed it on and immediately loved it! Pre-dry down it smells a little strong and floral, but the dry down smells clean and musky, my favorite scent! So, to not waste money, I brought a little bottle to see if this will turn out to be one of my new "staples"....so far, so good!

Apple Fantasy by Body Fantasies

Oh! The nostalgia! I wore this faithfully in the 12th grade! Back then, "fruity tooty" scents were all the rage. I remember the guy who sat in back of me in math class used to always say I smelled like something good enough to eat..LOL. Now, my love for this scent has faded away. I believe it's because they have merged the formula with other notes so now it smells completely different and more stronger. I think it would fare more better with the younger crowd than a woman in her late 20's.

Fresh White Musk Fantasy by Body Fantasies

Oh, this is another scent I'll always come back to if my cash gets a little too tight! I always receive the nicest compliments when I wear this. I've been a fan since high school and I'm still one in my late 20's!

abc1234's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I generally not a big fan of sweet/sour/floral scent which are too feminine to my liking. But Azzaro PH has a WONDERFUL green apple smell which is not sharp, not over-the-top. I makes me feel happy instantaneously! It has some kind of magical power. So elegant and fresh. Highly recommended (even you don't like fruity smell)

abc1234's avatar

Équipage by Hermès

Just got a bottle. Smells great: subtle, clean, smooth, elegant, classy. A perfect cologne for all occasions.

One of the best in my collection.

Two thumbs UP!!!

Curious's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Very nice fragrance. Not too heavy, lasts about 6 hours on my skin(which eats cologne like the cookie monster gorging himself at the chips ahoy factory) Smells kind of feminine, but hey, thats what the chicks are after. Buy it!

old chap's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

This is definitely a high class fragrance. When you first smell it, it comes off as harsh, but after a while it mellows down to a very classy, almost "old man" scent. It is a strange mix of sweet and bitter at the same time. Considering I'm nowhere near old enough to pull a scent like this off, I give it a neutral. That being said, this is a true gentleman's cologne, and should at least be sampled by anyone who likes fragrance.

old chap's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a decent scent, thoug it's a little on the sweet/citrusy side. If you spray too much, be prepared to knock others out. Plus, my dentist uses this cologne, and honestly I don't like the dentist very much, so this scent brings back not so great memories.

It would be a thumbs up, but I have to give it a neutral because it reminds me too much of my dentist.

Stephan's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

The sillage is very very subtle, lasting power is decent, but this fragrance is just sooo sensual.
    I wouldn't like to smell a woman wearing this, but I love it on men, especially on me. :)
    The price is just a shame... but I couldn't resist.