Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

aussiepiper's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

If I didn't wash for a week, I would smell better than this!

aussiepiper's avatar

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

Decidedley average after the Baldessarini.

ravetastic's avatar

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

If I were sent away and told that I could bring only one fragrance, I would bring Lauren. It is timeless, both clean and fresh enough for day wear, and sensual enough for evening. It has excellent staying power and implores your nose to sniff deeper, taking in all the complexities and details not found in its peers.

Lauren was my signature fragrance my senior year in high school, and I have gone back to it time and time again. I am still very fond of it. I have a very difficult time with most a lot of fragrances. They either turn sour, too powdery, too sweet, fade quickly or just end up as a dirty mess. In contrast, Lauren becomes richer and more clear, developing more voluptuously over time each hour it is on my skin.

The newer formulation does seem to be weaker than the original, but still reminiscent of classic Lauren. Younger women have asked what the fragrance is; apparently it has fallen out of circulation in the current fruit vs. vetiver market. Here's hoping to a Lauren renaissance.

Estefana's avatar

Guess by Marciano by Guess

My classmate had this on, and I had to try it. The top notes are entrancing, exotic fruits playing off the cardamom in a unique manner. As the top notes fade, the jasmine and honeysuckle are sweet and intriguing. The powdery basenotes are a bit dissappointing in their normality, but vanilla seems to be a solid finish for this fragrance, if unoriginal. All in all like this scent and would purchase.

12th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th January, 2009)

Fifi99's avatar

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

This bottle has been sitting on my perfume shelf for over a year gathering duct. I can't remember what I was thinking was special about it when I bought it, but every time I pick it up and sniff the bottle to consider wearing it, I put it back down and move on. Probably time to cut my losses and just pitch it out.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Legno di Nave / Seawood by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

This is a review of the pure perfume oil.

A deep, complex woody fragrance with vetiver, spices and sandalwood all infused with the fascinating and slightly bizzare sweet/savoury multi faceted scent of ambergris. It captures the idea of aged wood from a ship perfectly, spices from the cargo absorbed in small quantity but deeply inside the timbers and the distinct smell of the sea in the amber. This is the smell of the sea as life-soup not the platonic ideal of oceanic scents provided by modern synthetics.

It is dark and mid-base note dominated and somewhat serious in its outlook.

The quality of the ingredients and strength of the composition shines through. There is a focus and coherence in this which is very compelling; it has deep roots and is born of conviction.

ubuandibeme's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

Hello, CLOVES! The clove note is so dominant in this fragrance, I really don't sense the rose and jasmine floral that foetidus writes of smelling. A bit sharp and slightly thin, reminds me of a (cheap) scent I smelled about 25 years ago called White Witch - from Jamaica. After about an hour or so, the cloves calm and become less assertive. I would say Comme des Garcons version of carnation is a realistic representation of the flower. I personally prefer a blend, with creamier depth, such as Caron's Bellodgia. Personal taste aside, I must give this flower a thumbs up ~ it's quite good.

ubuandibeme's avatar

If by Apothia

A light citrus/musk with a flowery overtone. That's how I can describe IF. It completely reminds me of Keiko Mecheri's Sanguine. In choosing between the two, I'd most likely go with the Mecheri ~ sans flowers ~ a bit more wearable. If you are in the mood for a light and refreshing change of pace, IF would do nicely.

tvlampboy's avatar

Cereus pour Homme No. 11 by Cereus

I detect a strong note of vetiver here, but perhaps it's just the wood notes I'm picking up on, or even something a hair grassier/greener than those. Like SirSlarty, I too pick up a distinctive anise-like accord in the opening, although I must admit that this dries down within a few minutes.

Rich, woody, almost creamy center in this bad boy, with just hints of pepper and citrus.

A definite thumbs up, yes, but I won't likely seek a bottle. (Not at Cereus' prices.)

tvlampboy's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

I have come, over time, to despise mint in fragrances, and this is why I gave up both Jazz and Pasha years ago. Still, the mint here is tempered by vanilla and woods, and doesn't come across with that vile "toothpaste" note that normally makes my stomach churn.

I was intrigued upon hearing that there was patchouli in this one, but -- to be honest -- I had to wait forever to encounter the patchouli it. (It finally came after the loud and slightly obnoxious labdanum blast.)

Thumbs up for a fragrance that a) is in a family I don't usually care for and b) uses mint without making me want to retch. (That's high praise coming from me.)

Aaron01's avatar

Andron for Men by Jovan

No idea why this was discontinued, this one is great and better than most of the stuff that's still out. It reminds me of the best parts of Boss One and Givenchy Gentleman mixed, yet alltogether a different scent. Lots of patchouli, musk and castoreum in the drydown.

Aaron01's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Simple but great! It has a reminiscence of a milder, softer Kouros but it's short lasted. A great musk that's mixed with some orange and silght floral notes. A great fragrance that lasts a long time

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Black Jeans by Versace

Unrefined, macho version of YSL Rive Gauche PH. The dominant barbasol note of Rive Gauche turns up as a cooked cabbage note in Black Jeans.

Did not like it.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

Sandalwood oriental, to me reminiscent of the discontinued Cacharel Nemo, or Diptique's Tam Dao. It's very nice, but the theme can be had for much less than what you're paying for Ormonde Jayne Man.

bugsyiii's avatar

Sandalo by Etro

This is a wonderful fragrance. Just received my bottle and I was quite impressed. I was not at all looking to buy, however, after taking a sniff of this stuff I had to buy. The drydown is that of powdery and sandlewood; (very similar to Sandlewood by The Art of Shaving) very soft, yet, masculine. You have got to try this for youself. This is a very long lasting fragrance....all day. My wife loved this! This fragrance is very mild, not at all aggressive , however, it does give its 75 cents though.

Alliage by Estée Lauder

Just a very odd observation: my mom loves this, but it cannot be found in our country. Once when she tried, of all things, Obsession in a shop, she kept being reminded of Alliage! There has to be some similarities in the mixes. My suggestion for an Alliage dupe, therefore? Sheer Obsession, if you can still find it. Weird but true!
    And yes, Alliage is quite green, but not as green as many, many other such scents. Actually quite a complicated scent, to my nose, and very unique.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Aaaah, wonderful! I absolutely cannot fathom how this smells in any way like Angel to so many people - I get none of that heaviness, no cloyingness, no objectionable anything at all! This is pure fairy magic on me: sweet violet with some ivy, and then longlived, fabulously earthy vetiver... mmmmm!! It stays pretty close to my skin, although people do notice it - compliments, always! It doesn't seem too complex - I can smell most of the notes, without much else confusing matters to my nose. I absolutely love the final earthy, gritty phase (which I guess is the basement smell mentioned!) - if only it could be stronger by far! I'd LOVE to smell just like these base notes all the time. AND it comes in the prettiest bottle ever, even if it is quite hard to use (I keep fearing I'll break off the little stem).

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

So is no-one else getting pure Charlie Sunshine (yellow packaging) from this? Perfectly pleasant, quite generic, a little fresh, quite happy and outgoing. Really not for mature, dress-up, complicated, earthy or dark days - wear this to the office when you just want to smell 'nice'. Not a big favourite here.

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

Ok, no. NO. This stuff smells just like Peaceful Sleep, an insect repellent stick, to me. But then, so does a large part of Shalimar. Can somebody tell me what that ingredient is?! I would have guessed bergamot/vanilla, but this doesn't claim to have those notes. BAD SMELL.

Marrons Glacés by Laura Mercier

According to Laura Mercier, Marrons Glaces notes include: mirabelle & hazelnut leaves, cyclamine, jasmine, chesnut flower, heliotrope, vanilla and amber.
    Goodness--this should be right up my alley! Candied chestnuts, hazelnut (love hazelnut!) and a base of amber and vanilla! What's not to love? Alas, this fragrance turns plasticky and synthetic and unpleasant on my skin very quickly. A little rancid, even, like a fatty note that has broken down to its component fatty acids in the bottle..even before application. I love the IDEA of this fragrance, but the formula just doesn't work on my skin.

Vanille West Indies by Ligne St Barth

A rich, thick, sweet vanilla with a rounded marshmallowy structure. Yes, it's sweet, but not synthetic. The vanilla is true, and persists beautifully throughout the admittedly minimal development. It dries down to a slightly caramelized version of itself. Gorgeous alone and perfect for layering. It's one of my favorite vanillas because it's sweet AND natural, unlike, for instance, some of the CSP vanillas which often go a little chemical-y on me. If you love vanilla I highly recommend this.

Lierre Rose by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

This is a lovely floral-rose scent. Transparent and lilting. Very pretty and feminine and yet...there is a persistent tea note and a bit of spice, both of which I LOVE, that actually make Lierre Rose quite unisex. The only problem with this fragrance is that it fades rather quickly on my skin. Because of the poor longevity I must go neutral on this one...

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

wow. this stuff is AWFUL. ranks in my top 5 worst scents i've ever smelled...artificial, nauseating cotton candy. all the bottles in the world should be collected and destroyed!

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

utterly mediocre fruit and woods fragrance...forgettable in nearly every way.

Rêve en Cuir by Indult

a dissappointing affair. so much hype behind this, so much price ($250) behind this.....and it just doesn't have the uniqueness, boldness, or structure to pull off any of it. this is a bakery-sweet light leather fragrance....far more feminine than masculine..the sweetness is pretty cloying, and the hint of leather just sort of lingers around like a refugee. This is a knockoff (a very expensive knockoff) version of Hermes Kelly Caleche, which is basically a better scent than this in every way.....FAIL!

Kaern's avatar

Vétiver by Piver

A wonderful rendition of vetiver. The top notes are beautifully fresh and it moves majestically to a woody drydown. This scent just oozes class. You will have to spary liberally though for it to last all day. The value for money is tremendous, but Piver products are probably a little hard to find --- if you see a bottle, buy it.

Kaern's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

It must be some feat to include 25 different notes in a fragrance and produce something so boring -- it actually smells quite generic, which is obviously not what they were looking for. It is also becoming rather jarring. What a scrubber.

bbBD's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A wonderfully smooth and sensual leather, with just enough smoke and spice to keep it real interesting. When I applied to my arm, I noticed something of a floral note at first that I didn't find too appealing (I find this note in other SLs as well, such as Bois en Violette), this note fading out by the heart. When actually wearing CM, I didn't notice this floral note, instead I was just surrounded by a wonderful leather aroma. The leather starts out fairly intense but becomes more smooth over time. You can really feel the balance and twinge of fruit via orange blossom in the heart and base. The longevity is good, 7-8 hours.

As far as leather fragrances go, this one deserves a place on the top shelf with the other true greats such as Chanel Cuir de Russie and PG's Cuir d'Iris. In fact, this may the absolute smoothest among them, like the inside of a new Bentley.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Sinister vanilla, a perfect combination : when you get really frightened, it turns into a Krispy Kreme and lets you tickle its tummy; when you relax, it shouts cruel remarks about your figure. It also has its airy-supercilious side, which comes from the whiffs of lapsang and rosewood, as if from a duchess’s antique tea-caddy. Delicious and weird.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

Some English Benedictines gather round a campfire at night, they’ve been pruning for winter and have tidied the rockroses, cut back the bay and rosemary and other edgings of the path in the herb garden, and are rightly pleased with their work, but an enthusiastic younger brother keeps ruining everything by chucking on too much incense. Still they look upon him with love and kindliness, choking mildly, so goodwill is maintained.