Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

Some English Benedictines gather round a campfire at night, they’ve been pruning for winter and have tidied the rockroses, cut back the bay and rosemary and other edgings of the path in the herb garden, and are rightly pleased with their work, but an enthusiastic younger brother keeps ruining everything by chucking on too much incense. Still they look upon him with love and kindliness, choking mildly, so goodwill is maintained.

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

the first of the Armani Privés I tried and by a long way the best. It’s a simple-minded little stud-muffin, amber cloved up a bit with also some very dry patchouli in it that smells of dusted chocolate. It layers brilliantly with less sweet ambers like Artisan Parfumeur Ambre Extrême and this is how I wear it when I want to resemble a caramel in a tuxedo. The nose is Christine Nagel, by the way.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Extravagantly delicious; lavender and burned sugar with a herbal dusting. It’s L’été en douce after weightlifting has given it a swimmer’s build and may therefore perhaps become one of my alltime faves. The smell of the ideal shoulder as EnDouce is idealized nape of the neck.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Lemon, juniper, a shed load of abandoned clams, refried rice pudding, calone, the glue from discarded hymnbooks, wet sheep, more calone, the sputtering pilot-lights of old bathroom geysers, an underage orifice eased with Pledge and sanctimony, a Galia melon passing its sell-by date at the speed of sound, white lilacs in formaldehyde; lighter fuel; baby koala sick; isinglass. Though not necessarily in that order. Luca Turin’s entry on this in his Guide, and his rating of 5 stars for it, is his all-time I'm-still-a-schoolboy-at-heart low. By the way, if your partner’s semen smells like this, you should get him to a specialist.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

How to steer between rising damp and smoky bacon crisps, that is the question for patchouli designers. This one veers rather than steers – now vegetating liquorice, now cocoa dust. I expect LUXE means : very expensive materials, and this does smell classy but also clueless, over-endowed and under-conceived. Cf. King’s College, Cambridge. There’s a real waft of dopey smoke, though. No jokes about King’s College, Cambridge, please. But it does not avoid the greatest patchouli pitfall : smelling like left-over curry still in the polysterene container (that’s the fenugreek in it). The dry-down eventually stabilizes to doughnut suavity.

hollyc's avatar
    hollyc

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Where's the beef? I tried this today intrigued by all the reviews here and wanting something edgey and in your face. I could barely smell it. I also had a sniff of Fahrenheit 32 in the store and thought it too weak, now I think it had more punch than Fahrenheit. Eventually, here is what emerged for me: Take one sweaty (not stale) man dressed in biker leathers. Walk him through a garage with engine oil on the floor, then take him into a field and roll him in sweet hay (what you do after this is not for me to say!!) I did not get gasoline here at all, rather a deep earthy crude oil smell that I liked. I don't know if I need a full bottle of this but maybe a decant for days I feel naughty. Final drydown a bit bland sort of generic musk, but not bad. Hope they keep making it and that there are always men who can relate to it. . . .

hollyc's avatar
    hollyc

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Boy, could they ever make them back in the day! When I received my tester, I smelled absolutely nothing, until I applied it to my wrist. Then Kapow! To me, this smelled like a chypre and the citrus blossomed powerfully on me for the first 30 minutes or so, then the other notes made their presence known. Very classy, refined understated and sadly shortlived. Two hours later, I can only smell it if I press my wrist forecefully to my nose. Still I think it is worth having in your fragrance wardrobe (man or woman) for the time when you want to know beyond a doubt that what you are wearing is the epitome of taste and understated elegance. Dreadfully hard to find, but still in production. I got my tester from the Perfumed Court and am debating a decant. I also love Jicky which is worth checking out.

13 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2010)

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

I love this fragrance. It is a grand bouquet of woody and fresh notes. What a shame that it is discontinued. I've got a quarter of a bottle left, and wear it maybe once a year. Gorgeous.

Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez

A pleasant woodsy and citrus fragrance. There is a hint of a medicinal aspect to its notes, but agreeable, nonetheless. It reminds me of herbs set out to dry. Unique and unusual. However, like all of Adolfo Dominguez' fragrances, the longevity is not very good.

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

I once wore this to a party at work and someone walked in and asked who had sprayed Black Flag in the room. I never wore it again. I liked the fragrance, but I did not want to suffer that kind of humiliation again. Perhaps too outre for its own good.

Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

This is a unique scent. Very appealing, warm and lovely. All of the notes blend beautifully and complement each other producing a genial bouquet. This is probably the finest citrus scent I've ever smelled. This fragrance deserves to be more popular. Two thumbs up!

Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

A beauty of a fragrance. The quintessential Spanish fragrance; sophisticated, yet alluring and piquant. The only thing it has in common with Guerlain Vetiver is the name. This Vetiver is not as strong, and unfortunately not as long lasting, as its French cousin, but it's just as classy. You can wear this refined and understated scent on any special occasion. Worth seeking out.

Casual for Men by Paul Sebastian

A thoroughly agreeable and pleasant fragrance. It dries down to a rich, clean-smelling bouquet. I have received many compliments wearing this, and it lasts all day.

Brit for Men by Burberry

It smells wonderful when first applied and the sillage is delightful. It is sweet but heady, with bright and creamy accords. However, after a while it becomes too cloying, and I have the urge to wash it off. I love it, but I don't like wearing it. It works well as an opulent car freshener, better than the selections at the car wash.

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

I purchased Ikon for a ridiculously low price. I like it a lot. It reminds me of the heady fragrances of the eighties, but perhaps not as bold. I love the intermingling of the ginger, incense, citrus and clove notes; they harmonize beautifully. It is a dark fragrance, but I enjoy it for everyday use. Longevity is very good.

brianroy's avatar
    brianroy
    Colombia Colombia

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

Nehhhh...I like Le Male, and has bigger expectations for this one. It's very similar to Le Male indeed, but more like a cheap version. It just smells like lower quality and it's a little different in a bad way

Dinsypedia's avatar
    Dinsypedia

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

What else can be said about a simply amazing fragrance. I started using this pretty much as soon as it came onto the Australian market, and was immediately impressed by the quality of the composition. At the time, I do remember thinking "iris hmmmmm" but was keen on the powdery aspect to the fragrance. The supposed lipstick/makeup bag issue doesn't worry me as I find that settles out after some time. I have had so many compliments over the last 3 years from both sexes which seems to suggest that doesn't bother them.

From memory, one of the reasons why I initially investigated this fragrance was that I wanted something that had a similar texture (Joel_Cairo described it very well) to Chanel No. 5 without the same floral tones to it. In my mind this was the perfect equivalent that is masculine, refined and elegant all at the same time.

It is my number one scent, my pick me up, my feel good scent for when I'm not. I sometimes wear it to bed or sometimes just spray some on because I can. I believe that a good fragrance should become a signature to its wearer, and although I have about another 15 in my wardrobe, this is the one I go to most of the time (and mostly Mondays to Fridays).

I'm not 100% sure of the longevity or sillage on me, however, and feel that it only lasts about 4-5 hours, but I've always been very conservative in the sprays so maybe just need another sray or two over the couple I normally do.

kinghamhouse's avatar
    kinghamhouse

Ivana by Ivana Trump

Annmarie, I cannot find it either, however she sometimes is at lunch, next time will try to remember to ask if this eponymous fragrance is available anywhere.

kinghamhouse's avatar
    kinghamhouse

Elixir by Penhaligon's

It seems that Elixir is now on back order. The moment it was introduced it sold out and fresh stock is not expected until end February in the UK. I did manage to get a small sample, it started off great and before I could decide what it was it turned into a rather run of the mill 'nothing special here'. Shame really, you would think that they could do a little better. Having written this I do realise that it will probably sell and sell to the middle market, if only on the packaging.

Misiek's avatar
    Misiek
    Poland Poland

The Dreamer by Versace

Great fragrance, dry down is beautiful

dyLO's avatar
    dyLO

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

This is wonderful. I love A*Men, but to me this is even better. You don't get the caramel smell out of this as you do it A*Men, and it isnt overy sweet. Chocolate is very noticeable, but it isn't as overpowering as A*Men. And best of all its fairly cheap. Would deffinetely reccomend this to fans of gourmand frags.

Cumarin's avatar
    Cumarin
    Finland Finland

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Below, lizzie_ j described The One almost the way I'd describe it: creamy, spicy, sensual, very sexy. It's also rich, thick and very wearable. I'm a woman and love this on DH, and also use it myself. Not sure I get coconut but it might be there since I tend to fall for that sort.

It might not be complex or extraordinary, but it does smell very good.
    Beats most of the mainstream male fragrances easily.

charger's avatar
    charger

Illicit by Billy Jealousy

The clean, fresh laundry but not soapy scent really got me. It's refreshing, mood elevating goodness. Sampled at Nordstrom, and I can't get it out of my head. I need to sample again to make sure, but this seems like a for sure thing I need to get.

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I have never been assailed by Geraniums before, but the ones in the opening gave me quite a kicking. This starts off as a fearsome fragrance. Once you have lived with it for a while it settles into something very cultured and masculine. This is not for the nervy or timid as the sillage is prodigous. I have entered this into my weekly rotation, for the days when I am feeling bold and confident. One could consider this one of those scents that requires more than one try before you get it. It is well worth the effort.

's avatar

Maybe Baby by Benefit

I find this a fairly inoffensive musky peach. Perhaps best as a summer scent; it seems to fall a bit flat in winter. Nice, but doesn't really fit with what I'm looking for in a perfume these days (rather than 'that perfume smells good', I want 'What is that intriguing smell?').

Vanilla Vanille by Body Shop

When paired with the right body chemistry, this scent is comment worthy. It is warm, very gourmand with a hint of jasmine to give it some depth. The first half hour or so is overly sweet, but the dry down is well worth the wait. Men and woman alike seem to find this a pleasing fragrance, as it is very "yummy". My only gripe with this scent is its very short longevity. It would be a good scent for a date (a rather short one).

Black XS for Her by Paco Rabanne

Black XS for Woman starts off very sweet and fruity, fresh not cloying. The fruitiness wears off leaving the skin surrounded in sweet rose and vanilla. For someone who likes rose and sweet smelling scents, this would be an ideal perfume. Although I am not a rose fan, I still enjoyed this fragrance. Thumbs up!

13 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2009)

Harajuku Lovers - G by Gwen Stefani

This fragrance began with a one note vaguely fruity scent, and disintegrated into what smelled like sickly coconut baby powder. It was childish and overtly sweet, and I couldn't wait to wash it off.

13 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2009)

yankeeh8er847's avatar
    yankeeh8er847

Pi by Givenchy

Across from the people who call it excessively sweet, I actually find it very nice. But keep in mind that because the sweet scent is strong you must use it sparingly. 2-3 sprays max! Ofcourse when i tried it on at The Bay i only sprayed one wrist and it didn't seem that strong, it was very nice. SO when i bought it and put it on for the first time i made the mistake of overdoing it. It was embarassing because someone sitting beside me in a uni lecture was sniffing (not in a great way) and i had the overbearing feeling that it was because i wore too much, and i'm a person who likes to keep his colonge somewhat subtle. I went to the washroom and tried to get most of it out with soap but 6 hours later it was still quite present. But with that out of the picture it is an amazing scent if you use it sparingly. I love the way the sweetness works with my skin. very relaxing, calming, soothing

yankeeh8er847's avatar
    yankeeh8er847

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Tried it on in the store. The best way i can describe the barrage of smell that hit me.... is DIRT. It smelled like dirt. not even a earthy dirt, just repulsive stenchy dirt. I think the salesgirl across the room even saw my face cringe at the impact of the smell. Didn't like it at all. Maybe it smells better once the top notes fade, but i didn't let it get that far so i really can't say. But what i can say is that i didn't like it at all.