Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Bois de Santal by Creed

A wonderful sandalwood creation, somewhat akin to Chanel's Bois Des Iles in its warm sandalwoody creaminess, it is a simple construction of quality notes.

It opens with an old fashioned sour lemon and green petitgrain and drops into a aldehyde and sandalwood accord which lasts the remainder of its journey. I agree with my esteemed colleague zztop that this does contain a little indian sandalwood oil, but in my opinion only a touch of the real deal while the rest of the accord is a superb construction from other elements, maybe some other real sandalwood from other parts of the world, some other woods and some synthetics. The ghost of the lemon note with aldehydes adds some of the milky sourness which is an integral part of natural mysore oil, the smoothness is all there and the dry woody drydown too.

Still a very good perfume, and the best composed sandalwood perfume I know after Bois Des Iles (though I haven't smelled a recent version of that, maybe it has suffered a similar fate?), this must have been outstanding when availability meant it could contain a big quantity of real mysore oil.

Highly recommended, one of the few sandalwoods out there which is still worth the name, it is made from excellent materials which are used in a straightforward way.

13 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2014)

Indie_Guy's avatar

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

This is a really good one. The black pepper is awesome in the opening. Then I get lavender, nutmeg and musk. Almost a touch of something like cherries/almonds. I think I smell Virginia cedar.

What I like about it is that it's got a sort of washed out watercolor feel to it. To me, this has an overall similarity to Burberry Touch for Men, but I prefer this one-- it's somewhat more rustic and natural. Also, at times I get some common notes with Creed's Himalaya. The total effect of this one is having both sharp and smooth textures. Also it's versatile and easy to wear.

If you like peppery scents, try this.

omniray's avatar

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

smell cheap or expensive not depends about the popular fashion houses...

this one share a comfortable green-floral base without be complex, simply a nice aromatic freshness with a sexy spicy touch..

tvlampboy's avatar

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

The almost tobacco-y leather base here is really pleasant, yes, but that's about all I can say for this one.

After the original Baldessarini, I really had my hopes up for something special. Instead, I got a watered down version of Escada pour Homme, with perhaps a little more amber and spice thrown in.

Mediocre longevity and sillage.

tvlampboy's avatar

Spirit of the Tiger by Heeley

Tiger Balm it is, if only for the first five minutes of development. After that initial time has passed, the camphor-laden top notes warm and grow into a lovely, clove-y woodsy fragrance that stays very close to the skin. Still, this one doesn't develop much more beyond the "clove-y woodsiness" already mentioned.

A noble effort, but hardly worth a hundred bucks a bottle.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

New York by Nicolaï

Orange-Amber- very intense,sweet and dominating.As it has been said it´s very guerlain and it remains you of all these old, dated perfumes like muchoir de monsieur , heritage etc-warm, too warm and sensual, full of vanilla and too powdery.And what I disliked most is the the remaining huge and intense cloud of perfume that stays and comes again and again.............it remains me too of these old ladies perfumes or for an old boring , grey haired man!- heavy oriental und too much flavour !INothing special, unique, timeless or outstanding- simply an EdT-not luxurious, not special.Very disappointing!And I swear you-this is definitely not New York-you all know wht´s New York about!

Aaron01's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Like Dior Homme's Eau Noire or AG's Sables, but with a sweeter base (and lacking the chocolate from EN), thanks to the amber and a much softer herbal accord. There would appear to be some ceder in the middle which mellows it out a bit as the spicy notes start to fade. The drydown smells of amber, vanilla and still the memory of the herbal blast upon the opening.

Far more unisex than the aforementioned scents. If you liked those, but thought they were too spicy or masculine, this is the one for you.

itsthepens's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

the initial waft of mint seems to ride the subtle waxiness of the grapefruit peel note straight into the hazlenutty mocha. whilst this manages to not smell entirely cacophonous and clashing, it is really rather synthetic in feel, and can be just a little 'vomitty' to me. i also don't really enjoy gourmands, and whilst this isnt viciously sweet, the chocolate note is too much like a chocolate bar left in the warm sun. yuck.

as has been previously mentioned, the head and heart notes of this do indeed seem to arrive all at once, but then within ten minutes all that is left on my skin, and indeed it remains almost exactly the same for hours after, is a very pleasant generic accord, masculine and synthetic and lightly woody, with a very faithful light pine, like your fingers after you carry a christmas tree, and perhaps the faintest (very very faint) of anise/herbal notes, like cold dill.
    the nutty mocha element is still vaguely present too at times, but ultimately i have to ask myself: do I want to smell like somebody spilt a Starbucks on the wooden top of the fragrance counter?

i'll be honest, i've smelt FAR worse. at first interesting but sickly and dischordant, afterwards a fairly superlative generic.
    very irresistible? i can manage...

licotto's avatar

Hilfiger Est. 1985 by Tommy Hilfiger

I disagree with SirSlarty. I really enjoy this frag! I get a lot of compliments on it no matter which note is present!

Booster by Lacoste

I tried so desperately to like this. I know a few who swear by this and it smells good on them but on me, the mix of mint and nutmeg makes for a bitter anise and allspice scent. Spices of this nature are naturally uplifting and invigorating but this scent personally gives me a headache.

Nazareno pour Homme by Nazareno Gabrielli

Nice and light sweet, citrusy green fragrance with a fresh woody base. Much like a combination of Gramercy Park and Paul Smith Story. Good and subtle.

Stile by Sergio Tacchini

After the initial, harsh chemical blast, I find a pleasing, bright citrus, mint and patchouli fragrance. The patchouli plays an important role with the mint: the mint wants to be herbal and cold but the patchouli wants to be earthy and warm. There's a cedarwood note in this that makes the interplay come alive (cedar here being both cooling and the wood being warming) and this fragrance seems to thrive with this conflict. Interesting and refreshing.

Parah Man by Parah

An amazingly fresh and peppery, aquatic woody and clean vetiver drydown. Great for a brisk and clear day.

Cerruti pour Homme by Cerruti

Bingo. A less potent Joop! Homme. Where Creed's Original Santal is still a little heavy and cloying (and smells "better" than Joop! Homme), Cerruti pour Homme tones it down even further and makes it bearable and wearable. If you like the smell of Joop! but are worried about the potency, Cerruti pour Homme might be right up your alley. A top of sweet citrus, a musky floral heart and a drydown of musky, sweet sandalwood.

Maximiliani's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

This is a weird fragrance.

I tried both the edt and edp out of historical curiosity and when applied too much with the applicator from the vial or spritz it on too much you get bombarded by oakmossy, bookish POWDER. Lots and lots of cloying powder. The edt turns straight to powder. Headache inducing. I've washed it off twice it got too cloying. However despite this it is also intriguing. On the skin it does melt into the old Guerlinade with perhaps some spices and that's rather nice, no one can say that's a bad smell, it smells somewhat like baby powder and dried peaches I guess.

I guess the trick must be extremely light handling, otherwise you turn into your grandmother or great grandmother complete with blue hair, painted on eyebrows aquamarine eye shadow real quick. Not to say that it's feminine per se, it's just got that old lady je ne se quoi......cultural association more than actual scent. Heed this warning specially for those fellow straight men wanting to steal supposed great scents from the ladies and use them as unisex. This is sweet in a different way than many modern male colones, you just got to like a little bit of powder when used in moderation, otherwise it's pretty much incense, dried fruit and Guerlinade. Too much and you're feel self conscious. It is weird. I did not get the famed peach note that everyone was talking about at first. All I got was a bit spicier version of Vol de Nuit minus perhaps iris. Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit are all somewhat related somewhere in their composition, perhaps in the base. Mitsouko is perhaps the best one though, with Vol de Nuit being behind.....

However the more I smell the edp version, the more I pick up on the warmth. Actually smelling the small decant vial I got I pick up on perhaps the middle notes, there's a note there that reminds me ever so slightly of dried apricots, so I suppose that is the peach note. It is a lurking fruit that's for sure. I need to actually wear it out and see if people react to it or I can get over the slight sinus headache I get from wearing it. Certainly a mystery, it really does skim the line between love and hate....

So guys if interested in this, I would be really hesitant in application, perhaps only small dabs on wrists and neck, or spray on just on your jacket. Being said I got my eyes on Sous le Vent.

Kaern's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

I quite like the futurist type shaped bottle. The fragrance itself is ok, but pretty safe. The mint in this is tolerable, but that note in IO Capri is much nicer. It settles down to a warm woodyand spicy base. Most Cartier fragrances leave me cold and I'm not sure why, but Roadster (terrible name) is not half bad. I won't be investing though.

Sybarite's avatar

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

This wonderful scent is so named because apparently 114 different compounds go into the mixing of this amazing concoction. The first impression as it first hits your nostrils is that of sweetness, but that somehow dissipates within minutes and settles into a much less sweeter fragrance than it first appears. I agree with "surreality's" post as to the fact that the scent is so well blended that it's hard to identify different notes, however not unless you are sensitive to geranium. Fifteen minutes in and the geranium note takes over and to my nose stays, mixed with the lovely ambery goodness, right till the drydown where the vanilla then takes over. It is definitely quite a different amber to the many amber fragrances out there and this I put down to that (unusual) addition of the strong geranium. So if you don't like geranium, steer clear! Otherwise, this is definitely one of my favourite ambers for its uniqueness.

lilirose's avatar

Little Black Dress by Avon

Avon's reintroduced this here in America as Chic in Black.

lilirose's avatar

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

At first I was not impressed. I have grown to appreciate it. Seems to me be a bit of a watery floral? If that makes any sense. It also reminds me of Avon's new Jet Femme, but I think I like Jet Femme even more, as it has base notes of teakwood.

soirdelune's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

For an unrepentantly woody scent, Tam Dao is charmingly translucent, in a manner that is identifiably 'Diptyque': graceful, tasteful and measured. For me, it is the cedar note that peeks out most noticeably from behind the dusty sandalwood, with a sprinkling of black pepper and, at base, the vaguest incensey whiff. I find this a comforting scent with strong evocations of childhood; in fact, what Tam Dao reminds me of most forcibly is the mingled scent of rosin, wood and varnish that used to emerge from my tiny, child-sized violin case.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I really cannot work this out...how I fell for this...It has grown on me.I got a bottle a few years ago...and thought it smelt a bit like damp...cut grass...and vowed to never get it again.I got another bottle somehow...and so it became my favourite smell.If you get over the initial spray...it starts to grow on you,and if you are looking to draw in female attention...I have NEVER known another fragrance to have this effect on females....EVERYTIME I wear it.I have tried lots of different fragrances...and still have a few to try,but no others have come close in pulling in compliments.I have told a couple of people...including a mate who was trying to get a girls attention where he worked....and the first words she said to him ever was..."Oh,you smell nice..."...If I was not married...I would be trying to reap the rewards...I just settle for the nice compliments I get wearing this.Can you give more than one thumbs up?????

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I have read the positives and negatives about this fragrance,and with lot's of discounts available on the scent here in the UK..I thought that I would give it a go.Quite simply...it is sweet,almost like toffee/caramel....it is strong,not one to be over sprayed,so I used it with caution...and I never got ONE positive comment at all....it was long lasting...but the smell started to get on my nerves a bit,and people around me (who know I like trying out 'smellies') said it was the worst thing I had ever worn...and I have worn some pretty horrid fragrances.I gave it away to one of my mates...he didn't thank me either...he passed it on...and who he passed it on to thought it was horrid.Sickly,cloying,and now I know why it is getting cheaper....they are trying to get rid of it!

Story by Paul Smith

Got this for christmas off my wife...I hinted on that I wanted Paul Smith London,but ended up with Story...What a great smell....starts as a grapefruity smell to me...then as it dries down,turns into some sort of flowery garden smell...without being feminine.I loved the smell .The only slight negative is that it is not easy to pick out once it dries down,it requires closer contact..so maybe not one to turn heads.It does last longer on clothes..(shirt in my case),so a light spray combats any longetivity issues,and makes the smell keep the grapefruity beginning longer...which draws the compliments of smelling nice.So,hats off to my wife...she has come up trumps with this.

RubenC's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

I get a strong vetiver scent on first application, and although I love certain vetivers this can be surprising if your not prepared for it. The dry down is much more pleasing for me although the patchouli tends to be stronger at first. Much preferred for evening wear, but can be used during winter months as well.

I find Givenchy Gentleman to be complex and distinctively unique. This fragrance takes some getting used to but definitely rewarding.

Max1mu51's avatar

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Many people here have commented on how this cologne doesn't project and doens't have any longevity. I personally do not understand where they get this from I sprayed this stuff one time on my arm then rolled my sleeve back down and walked into the house my wife immediately asked me what I was wearing and that she really liked it. It's not a longevity issue because I can smell this on myself clear throughout the entire day with 4 sprays. Subtil is a surprisingly smooth. It's spicy and almost woody yet there are no woods found in the pyramid. Clean, energetic and sophisticated, yet not afraid of proverbialy getting down and dirty. I get a huge cardamom note, and at the end of the day cardamom and patchouli still run that race strong. Good stuff, not great! but I'll probably be keeping this in my arsenal for some time to come.

Adolfo Dominguez by Adolfo Dominguez

While I enjoy Adolfo Dominguez's other fragrances for men, this smells like pencil shavings on my skin. The dry down is harsh and the longevity is terrible. Unfortunately, there are no redeeming qualities here.

Coriolan by Guerlain

I bought this on sale and I was a little disappointed when I tried it the first time, it was a blind purchase. It smelled generic. I wore it to a formal function once and received many compliments from someone who usually detests strong fragrance. I've worn it many times since then and now appreciate its complexity and fine champagne-like dry down. A wonderfully integrated composition where the notes blend harmoniously producing a fine and elegant linear accord. Attractive bottle.

Présence by Montblanc

There is something disturbingly incongruent and pungent in the mixture of this perfume's notes. Immediately cloying, I had to wash it off the first time I sprayed it on. I can't figure out why I dislike this fragrance so intensely. Loud and dissonant, it is inappropriate for formal occasions. Mont Blanc should stick to writing instruments.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

It smells like grape juice or some kind of soft drink when you first get a whiff. After a while its character evolves into something more exotic and sophisticated, something woody tempered by muted fruit notes. This is one of the most difficult fragrances to characterize because it is so unlike any other scent. There is a certain brooding yet genial aspect to it, along with a familiar allure. I prefer to wear this in the winter because of a melancholy feeling it inspires. However, others would probably wear it anytime. I would not recommend a blind purchase.

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Classy and refined, as are all Dunhill products. It reminds me of one of the Lacoste fragrances. It has a rich bouquet and a wonderful sillage.