Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

As mediocre and insipid as a major fragrance can get. Its imitations smell better, sad to say. Dolce and Gabbana create the blandest fragrances of any prestigious house. I expect so much more from the Italians. It has no distinction when applied, a completely amorphous scent. The sillage and dry down are a joke. Non mi piace nulla.

msleslie's avatar

Citrus Verbena Intensa by L'Occitane

I was on my way to the Guerlain counter when I smelled something so wonderful I had to follow my nose to the source: a display of citrus verbena candles, soaps, gels, etc.

On this humid, hot, sticky day this enchanting smell seemed to be the perfect antidote - when I found the eau de toilette I sampled it lavishly, and was instantly uplifted, intoxicated and delighted. I left then - but found I had to return and buy every product on offer with that amazing scent! I was not even in the market for a citrus with essential oils in it, but this was a wonderful serendipity that I gave myself to.

Today I am slathered in the citrus verbena intensa body lotion, and am having frequent refreshing spritzes of the chilled eau de toilette - the intensity is indeed brief but the delicate scent remaining is still exquisite. It is my favorite scent for summer, ever! (And it is amazingly cheap for such vivid loveliness.)

dyLO's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

A flowerly/lemony/vanilla-y (?) smell. Very pleaent. This is nowhere near A*Men, its not as carmely or as strong. Just use it sparingly.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

This was very fresh and intoxicating when first applied, but the dry down really is pretty tame. It could possibly be useful for a pick-me-up, or for a casual gathering where you want that "out of the shower" smell. Minimal sillage and longevity. Hard to imagine purchasing this

Kittycat63's avatar

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

A woman's viewpoint on this cologne! I read rave reviews of this on a website and some mentioned that it smelled quite feminine so could be a unisex scent so, based on the good reviews, reasonable price and thinking it would smell a bit feminine, I bought a bottle of it blind over the internet for myself! However, when I got it I was quite let-down. Although it's okay smelling, I wouldn't say it's a stand-out cologne and is far less fresh and light smelling than I had anticipated from the reviews I had read of it. The reviews on this site too are a bit contradictory .. some say it's light and fresh, others say it's heavy. To me it smells extremely peppery at first, although it becomes softer and mellower after awhile. I couldn't detect the slightest hint of lemon in it, which is a shame because I quite like lemony scents! I also couldn't detect any mint, which is a note which cropped up in lots of reviews. To me it's just peppery. I would say it's an average smelling scent but, for the price and staying power I could recommend it and, on the right man, it might smell delicious!

lisawhip's avatar

Promesse de l'Aube / FK1 by MDCI

I call this Eau de Spiteful Grandmother. At the topnote, it tells an eight-year-old that she looks fat in her dance recital costume. Then the heartnote opens up, and you get a very strong complaint of having had to ride on an elevator with a (whisper) *black*. The basenote lets its horrid little dog bite you and tells you that it couldn't possibly have hurt. At the drydown, right before it fades, it gives all the jewelry to its friends's daughter because you never admired it even once.

I hate myself in this scent and would take great pleasure in not giving myself a seat on the bus.

atabey's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Nature Millénaire by Yves Rocher

I wore this for many year and I was alway ask what perfume I was wearing. A couple of times I was follow when in the mall until the person had the courage to ask about my perfume.

Bigsly's avatar

Tristano by Tristano Onofri

With neroli and lavender in the top notes (see the note pyramid below), you would be correct to guess that this starts off sharp. I'm not a fan of this kind of opening, but it's not unbearable, and after a couple hours or so it settles down nicely. It's a little sharp all the way through, but at this point it's quite pleasant. Think of this as a better blended version of a Rochas Man fragrance, more connected to traditional perfumery (with oakmoss and an animalic note, "dirty" jasmine or but possibly the ambergris). This keeps it from being like a combination of candy and lavender. It's also not as "loud" or crude as those kinds of fragrances, and more natural smelling. Yes, if you are not used to a strong neroli note you might think this is really sour and sharp, but give it some time, unless you don't have the patience to wait for the drydown. Longevity is excellent and the projection/"sillage" for the drydown is quite good, though not so strong that it gets irritating.

Neroli, Lavender.
    Cedar, Sandalwood, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Heliotrope.
    Ambergris, Oakmoss, Vanilla.

My old review of January, 2009: Other than the top notes, which I usually try to avoid (as I did when I applied Tristano), I detect a strong green note, along with civet and what I think is juniper berry. It's strong for the first hour and a half or so, then settles nicely and lasts a while. Sillage is at least moderate. It's not really my kind of fragrance, so it's hard for me to assess it, which is why I'm giving it the neutral rating. If asked to compare it to Ungaro II, I'd say that U II is more blended and has a richer feel whereas Tristano is more articulated and straightforward.

14 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2011)

Theasylph's avatar

Chocolate Greedy by Montale

this is amazing. Smells to me exactly like an ice cream sandwich with chocolate on top and bottom, vanilla in the middle. After a while it began to smell like a burnt chocolate cookie and then turned back into a tame dark chocolate bourbon vanilla concoction with a hint of booziness.

14 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2012)

RuffDawg's avatar

Versace Essence Ethereal by Versace

I really like this one. its not so great when first sprayed, but it quickly mellows out into a really nice soft scent that is very unique. I dont know why but it gives me a warm feeling of nostalgia & comfort. I get a hint of sweet powdery plastic, or vinyl in it, but in a very good way, it reminds me of the scent of certain toys that I had as a child, thats probably where the nostalgic feeling comes from. They really shouldnt have discontinued this, its one of Versace's best in my opinion.

tvlampboy's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

Very, very similar to Joop! pour Homme -- make no mistake about it. The difference, though, lies in the quality of the ingredients used. Whereas Joop! relies upon a great many synthetics, Creed obviously uses top quality (and probably mostly natural ones).

As a result, OS goes on and stays on without the chemical nightmares so often induced by Joop! I myself have a love/hate affair with Joop! I wear it because a) I get so many compliments on it and b) I like it. That said, it wears best when it's been applied VERY LIGHTLY.

As much as I love OS and praise its high quality ingredients, I can certainly see why anyone on a budget would eschew OS in favor of Joop! (LIGHTLY APPLIED, that is.)

Still, a big thumbs up for this cinnamon and sandalwood beauty.

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

Starts as a spicy, dry almond; woody and floral. There is a touch of powder. After a while the heliotrope (cherry vanilla) emerges more strongly and spicy/sweet. This is similar to the cherry cough syrup note in Louve, but it interestingly appears in the drydown rather than at the beginning like Louve. I prefer this to Louve.

John Varvatos Woman by John Varvatos

Very sweet fruit-- mandarin, apricot, mango. Florals come from jasmine and rose. Described as a chypre, which I don't get at all (I think "new-chypres" are more about marketing than true perfumery). No oakmoss; instead the tonka bean comes thru in the base with its creamy, nutty vibe, and the result leaves me feeling like I'm wearing a fruit-blend pina colada.

Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris

I'm very surprised this is considered a women's fragrance. I would've thought unisex at the very least. It leans too far masculine for my taste. The pungent herbal notes are bitter on my skin and I don't care for the strong powdery freshness.

Ambre Oliban by Parfums Berdoues

Amber and incense with a prominent, intriguing cola (anise?) note. The incense is not at all sharp, grey, or cold. It is very nicely warmed and softened by the noticable amber. I find this beautiful and long lasting.

15 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

scentaddiction's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

If you do not like bold masculine fragrances, you will likely hate antaeus. If you like Gentleman, Kouros, M7, or possibly even Quorum, you need to buy Antaeus. It is very sweet out of the bottle, bordering on feminine...but that only lasts about 10 minutes. The dominant notes I get throughout the day is a thick leathery sandalwood. The patchouli is there...and I think that I even detect a bit of lavender in the topnotes....at any rate it is a classic. I would hesitate to wear more than one spray to work though....

scentaddiction's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

I have to agree with coolnose about the barely evident vanilla...certainly no feeling of vanilla tarts on my chest....
    I get a huge dose of lavender in the top notes, and then it seems to settle to sandalwood and amber. It has great sillage and longevity. In fact, it has the best longevity of any of the lalique line. I prefer Equus to this (more cedar) , but Lalique lasts longer..

mattp420's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop! Homme in moderation is wonderful. Joop Homme! overapplied is borderline criminal. My wife absolutely loves this on me and she jokes that she doesn't want me wearing it out of the house. Great sillage...great longevity. I don't know why so many have the tendency to overdo it with this one...seems to defy common sense...1-2 sprays is all it takes.

mattp420's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

One of two blind buys that I instantly regretted. I've given it a fair shake but I just can't get past the nauseating top notes. I feel instantly sick every I spray. When the scent finally settles down its drydown is a tobacco note very similiar to D&G PH (the other blind buy that I regret). This particular tobacco note just annoys me for some reason and even though this is a well respected fragrance, its a definite scrubber on my skin.

SirSlarty's avatar

Dévotion for Men by Gabriela Sabatini

Sweet, musky, vanilla, woody. Devotion is a plethora of typical notes found elsewhere but strangely it's incredibly smooth, wonderfully delicious and just a darned good sweet fragrance. Don't expect much else from this, however. Fairly linear but to make up for it it does last a long time at least for me. What else is good about it? It's cheap!

SirSlarty's avatar

Borsalino Panama by Borsalino

Undeniably sweet, floral and musky. Has a light spiciness to it in the middle. Base is musky and ambery. Not too bad.

everso's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

this is NOT a leather scent....it's just an amber scent...and it's crap! Shame on you C***d....again.

Kaern's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

This is a lovely sweet tobacco fragrance with a rich drydown, intensified by the amber. I think the sillage is outstanding and the longevity good. I would never wear this in the summer months though -- it just wouldn't work as it is a very 'warm' scent. The new Tom Ford's Tobacco and Vanilla rendition is more gorgeous to wear imo, but comes with a hefty price tag.

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Vintage by John Varvatos

Very fine designer perfume! Composition / notes are quite distinctive and not easy to match with any other blend, few ingredients are used in perfumery for the first time by Varvatos. ""Vintage"" as name suggests that is of High Quality, Classic and Modern.

Top notes are decorated with Tamarind, Herbs and Date Fruit; Heart contains Coriander, Clary Sage Flowers (to give a pleasant tobacco affect) and Indian Ajwain; Base is composed of Auramber (rich wooden ambery material), Sandalwood, Balsams, Leather and Vanilla.

Most suitable for evening wear in cooler days and has elegance to match any special occasion with nice silage and longevity.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I just bought this and I love it. The fizzy vanilla coke comment is so True! All the girls I know love it too! If you like fun sweet playful frags pick it up

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

How could anyone actually like this stuff! The guy below got it all WRONG this stuff does absolutely not smell anything like navel oranges! This crap just Flat Out Stinks!!! I had one girl tell me if I ever wore it around her she would PUKE!!! The actual smell of this poison is Pickles and Wet Naps! I bought this blindly due to the good reviews but I wore it once and it still gives me nightmares.

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

I love OP juice and I love this frag BUT it only lasts on me for about 20mins and then nothing! so if you like fruity tropical scents pick it up and hope it lasts longer on you than I.

Sybarite's avatar

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

To my nose, this scent is most aptly named. The immediate forefront leather accord certainly invokes to my mind a plush/sleeze boudoir with a Marquis de Sade type in a sweaty leather harness. Although however. the leather note here is not exactly a dirty one, as it's strapped to a very heady and intoxicating Davana bloom. Creating this very unusual, exotic accord. Anyone wanting their very own personal leather fragrance though, should definitely give this one a try. As the Davana when applied on the skin is said to smell differently on different persons. This peculiar property is highly valued in high class perfumery to create fragrances with truly individual notes.(Even though,as we know, all fragrances are already dependent on individual skin chemistry to a certain extent. This peculiar note will even further enhance this individual difference). Resulting in this scent truely becoming your own.
    These loud top notes will then totally depend on you for their character. These remain for a few hours slowly mellowing. Then a lightly spiced middle (coriander/patchouli), leads to the immortelle flowers rearing their heads a few hours later in the drydown. These further add to the quirkyness of this unusual leather accord. Finally a very lightly leathered labdanum/ birch-ey vanilla leaves the skin warmed with a spanked glow.
    If you are looking for a whipped sweltering red, SM powerhouse leather frag' then this is probably not the one for you. I'd say this is a slightly more romantic (poetic?) interpretation. Although, mind you, still manages a strong whipping the moment it's out the bottle. I suspect, as is befitting SM literature, it's going to be either a love it or hate it (or love it AND hate it ?) type experience. Therefor I recommend sample first rather than blind buy.
    But this fragrance is certainly the most interesting, unusual and also the most tenacious out of the Histoires liabrary .

bbBD's avatar

Eliotropio by Santa Maria Novella

This was a blind buy because (a) it's discontinued , (b) I got a great deal on eBay, (c) I like Heliotrope; and, (d) I like SMN. I guess I was sort of expecting something along the lines of Etro Heliotrope, which is very sweet and gourmand. SMN's version, like most of its single-note fragrances, is much more muted and realistic. CF SMN's Violette, Rose, and Vetiver.

Heliotrope smells like musky almond vanilla, and this version is presented exactly that way. The fragrance is just a touch sweet, but there is also a very realistic floral element to it that balances the sweetness and is just a touch green and almost - almost - bitter. Still, heliotrope retains its gourmand quality, and this would be a wonderful element in layering by creating a fuzzy, edible base. The composition on the whole is musky and fuzzy as heliotrope fragrances tend to be. CF Apres L'ondee.

If you thought Etro's Heliotrope was light, be warned that it's a sillage monster compared to this. SMN's version is essentially a skin scent, a very pretty one, but there is no amount of application that will result in sillage. Perhaps it's because the few ingredients are natural but the longevity is fairly short, about 4-5. Of course your skin may still smell nice after this time, but you can't really detect any heliotrope. All in all I'm glad with my blind buy, though I'm not sure this will play a big role in my rotation except for those days that call for little or not fragrance. Again, the best place for this may be in layering, which I rarely do but may just experiment with now that I have a good base to work with.

Nukapai's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

An achingly sophisticated apricot wrapped in powdery new suede opens this scent and lasts almost unchanged for hours with fair, but not offensive sillage. The scent keeps softening towards the dry-down and the very warm and creamy skin-scent that's left afterwards contains a fun surprise: the unmistakable hint of Cremosa Chupa Chups.