Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

First it's a bold metallic and technological, I can even smell electronic components in flame for a second and it shift to airy and something untraceable. Just only in an hour, Odeur 71 hits its heart with warm light leather-spice notes. I think there's leather, a very light one. I was blown away!

15th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd January, 2009)

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Yatagan by Caron

Yatagan is a band apart. Nothing that I have smelled before comes closed. Yatagan is hard to understand, at least to me.
    Very dry, earthy, woody, leathery and spicy.It is an explosive cocktail than never burst. You imagine a great sillage but it does not have it, at least on my skin stays very close to the skin. When you think is not there just smell yourself and it will come at you like a ghost in the dark.

This fragrance is very masculine, sort of old school and yet intriguing. It is masculine in a classy way far from barbershop or 70´s bomb. I dont get any floral or sweet note and for that I am graceful to the designer, a masterpiece.

's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

Too powdery and overbearing at first but dries down to a nice, sweet yet masculine scent. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I think it smells a bit too like an 'old man's' cologne.

's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

Nice, clean masculine scent. This one gets compliments whenever I wear it. The original is a little too strong for me, so the light version is a nice compromise. Thumbs up.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Boring. It smells, suspiciously, like the original eau de colognes, such as 4711. Armani broke no new ground with this fragrance, and it has survived, I suspect, on the strength and cachet of the designer name. It does not assert itself with any distinction, and remains as generic smelling as a man's fragrance can get.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I tried to bond with this one, and I do appreciate its wonderful bouquet. But it was too overbearing for me to wear. This is a cologne with a huge, effusive, rambunctious character. Best worn by the most outgoing of personalities. It has a divine dry down.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

It sometimes seems futile to compare or rate fragrance. One's subjectivity many times depends on memories and emotions that a scent can inspire. Paco Rabanne is probably full of powerful nostalgia for many. It was ubiquitous in the 70's, and I never tired of its ethereal appeal. Its popularity has assured it the status as one of the all time classic fragrances. I can smell it in my mind, just thinking about it. I no longer wear it, but when I get the occasional whiff of it , it is like a joyfully beautiful cliche. Will there ever be a fragrance as iconically sophisticated as this was? There should be a shrine dedicated to this one.

Azygos by Azygos

I smelled this once and I will never forget my impression; screaming with the most fervent, pungent and cloying notes imaginable. Apply daintily with a pinkie tip.

irismissouriensis's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

This is a work of rare beauty. Anyone who knows even a few of the frangrances by Edmond Roundnitska will recognize his fingerprint.
    It is a classic leather composition. Without any doubt a brilliant play on an aldehyde. I guess it is also built around coumarin. It is dry, spicy and animalic. Many have smelled a cumin note but I think it could be something more like neroli and clove.
    I would be very interested to know if it has ever contained anything like natural civet musk or castoreum. I have the intuition that it could have been replaced by a synthetic material when the perfume was first mass produced. I could be completely wrong but it could explain its weak strength and short longevity. It may very well be simply the aesthetic of the eaux of the time.
    I wear it as a discreet, subtle and supremely elegant cologne. It is ideal in conservative contexts where a strong fragrance would be judged as distasteful.

charger's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

First spray is a huge sweet citrus blast, maybe a little spice but smells almost feminine. Luckily, after about 15 minutes it settles into a more generic mens citrus frag. It's a nice warm weather scent, but can get a bit cloying if over applied.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Being shackled to Cuba for the first few minutes was deeply unpleasant. It was industrial and terrible artificial. However, within the hour it had mutated into something a little more worthwhile. Having recently tried No. 88 from C & S I was familiar with acidity of the Rose, but I am not convinced that it really works as part of the constituent parts of a man's fragrance. It is now the end of the day and I can confirm it has a very acceptable longevity. I can live with this, but whether this would ever lead to more than friendship, I am not sure.

JAntoinette's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Dear Lord! I received this in the Etat Libre d'Orange sample pack from The Perfumed Court and unfortunately for me, I tried this one last. My first thought was "No, bad!" I then grabbed my Perfumes: The Guide and double checked the review. Yep, five stars. So I smelled again. I can't identify any notes because my brain keeps screaming "run away". I had to have a glass of wine to calm myself down. Thank God I didn’t actually apply this to my arm or else I may have had to amputate. (I just glanced at the vial and shuttered.) Seven thumbs down!

Brit by Burberry

I have tested the EdP of this fragrance and found it to be an intriguingly fruity but warm fragrance. The top notes are sharp and exciting, and lasted for at least 45 minutes on me, and I was surprised at how much I liked the citrus in it, as I am not generally into citrus perfumes. But the base notes are my favourite part. Brit is warm and amber on my skin, the vanilla delicious yet not foody. This perfume starts off young and perhaps ordinary, but ends with depth and warmth. I ended up buying a small bottle of the EdP, and plan to wear it often.

L by Lolita Lempicka

An rather heady fragrance that started off with vanilla, orange and cinnamon, and ended with vanilla and spice. Although I love vanilla, it was used to much.. I felt a bit ill after having this fragrance on for a couple hours and had to scrub it off. I wish I could have like this, it sounded so good on paper.

Amber Romance by Victoria's Secret

This is a very heavy fragrance with good staying power. I have to be in the right mood to wear this. I prefer the body spray as it is not quite as strong. Very ambery and deep.

marcia's avatar

Greece Greece

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I love the EdT version of this frargance (the original.) It is fresh and clean. The lemon is there, but it is not as harsh as in other perfumes. After it stays on the skin for a few minutes the harsness goes away, and a soft, sensual fragrance comes across. This perfume reminds me of summers in the Mediterranean when the breeze goes through the lemon orchards. It has that short of crispness. But, I have to say that it is not just a summer frargance. It can also be worn wondefully in the winter time. It is timeless, elegant, and extremely sofisticated. Its longevity is excellent. I also think the perfume transforms itself from a sporty day fragrance to an elegant night time perfume.

sakipp's avatar

You're the Fire for Women by Yardley

This was my favorite perfume back in high school and I've been searching for it a long time. Does anyone know where I can purchase some? Thanks.

redstar's avatar

Joop! Go by Joop!

i cant understand the general negativity concerning joop go: its a fun fragrance, luminous green appearance in bottle, is probably best for summer, non-offensive, sweet fruity, and a safe scent , if thats the sort you are looking for. I wear it for work and for outings though my girlfiend dislikes it but she doesnt like many scents either! Longevity is good lasting me a full day with just 1 spray down the neck, the sillage is close to the skin and does not overload your olfactory system- a good fun scent for feeling happy.

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

Quite possibly my favourite perfume of all time. I always make certain to have it in some form (body wash, lotion and/or perfume) in my personal collection at all times.

Every time I uncap the bottle, I'm taken back to the summer of seventh grade, laying in bed with a warm breeze wafting through the open window of my room, writing in my diary. Most everyone to whom I'm spoken about this scent has a similar story; it has a power of not only enveloping you in its delicious, aquatic notes, but also to transport you through time and space to the whimsical days of youth.

It's pure, unadulterated magic. There's no other way to explain it.

Wet Garden by Demeter Fragrance Library

I tested this one with a sense of uncertainty; I'd heard that Demeter scents, though wide in variety and amazingly spot on with most all of their scents, were lacking in the longevity department.

Found it in Sephora, while on the hunt for Thunderstorm (which they, unfortunately, did not have), and sprayed some on the left sleeve of my winter coat along with a bit of the Rain on my right. TWO DAYS later and I could still catch vague notes of Wet Garden on my jacket!

I was blown away, both by the lasting power of this cologne and also the amazing accuracy with which they depict a wet garden. At the risk of sounding cliche, I could have closed my eyes, inhaled and been taken back to my childhood days of visiting my aunt and watching water droplets cascade down, caressing her backyard garden.

This one's an A+!

GapBody Coconut Tuberose by Gap

Purchased this one on a whim and a gift card, with very pleasant results!

While meandering through Gap Body one day, without intending to purchase any fragrances that day, I saw that all of their 2007 scents were on sale -- 50% off. Went through and sniffed this, Coconut Tuberose, first because of the ''coconut'' listed in the name and because of the lovely pink packaging. Spritzed some on my jacket sleeve and thought little of it; paid for the items I'd picked out and left this poor gem on the shelf.

Half way back to my car, I was overwhelmed with the wondrous aroma that is this scent and had to rush back into the store to claim it for my own!

Wonderful purchase; very floral, but without any hint of artificial coconut, the likes of suntan lotion or dollar store / Bath and Body Works coconut-y scents. If that's what you're looking for, you'll most likely be disappointed. However, if you're looking for something soft, femme and vaguely fruity, you'll hit the jackpot with this!

Devin by Aramis

Definitely a little old school magic. A nice calm masculine scent with an air of greenery and a slightly musky overtone. Good for a daily spritz to make one feel a little more macho.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

One of my all time favorites that I have used a long time. Always get complements with it. Masculine and comfortable. When you want a little masculinity and something for everyday use to throw on while you are running out the door, it can't be beat. The price is right too for this old school mossy charmer.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I must confess to a fondness for Joop. It's a feel-good fragance that just never lets me down. One spray is all I ever need and it lasts forever. It may be a run of the mill fragance - but, if it makes you feel good you can't find fault with it. It always seems to be teasing you with notes and harmonies coming and going all over the place. Intriquing.

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

The fig comes on strong at first. It melts down to reveal some kind of weak almost feminine hygiene smell. Nothing special here. But, it is different from the usual suspects if that is what you are looking for.

Montana pour Homme by Montana

Not too fond of this one. Too much green. Comes across with too much of a camphor/menthol note that reminds me too much of a waterd down ben gay.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I really life this one except for some kind of slight lingering petroleum note that kind of bugs me. Its definitely a different unique fragrance that makes you feel warm and cozy.
    I can't really find too much fault with it and always recieve complements. I like masculine and unique scents and this fits the bill. I recently discovered F pour Homme by Salvadore Ferragamo and realized it is Terre's twin sister. It manages to smell almost identical to Terre without the stronger offending elements and has become one of my favorites.

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

The calmer Terre D'Hermes references are right on. Terre has a petroleum note that nags me and never seems to go away. F pour Homme is more of a class act being cleaner without the offending overtones. This has made it one of my current top 5 choices in fragances.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I really like this one. Think Farenheit done right. After an all night session at work with it and my sexy female co-worker coming in closer and closer all night, it won my respect. Its one of the scents where you want to smell your ownself all the time. Good feeling wearing this one. It kept reminding me of Dior's Farenheit without the petroleum note and just a little sweeter.

MerrittIsland's avatar

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

I so want to love this fragrance but I don't. On my skin it is not pleasant in the least. Spent the entire day thinking, "What's that smell?" Then realizing oh, it's me. My nose is untrained so I can't tell you why it was so awful. I just know the overall scent was quite unpleasant and have taken this off my "possible" list.