Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

MerrittIsland's avatar

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

I so want to love this fragrance but I don't. On my skin it is not pleasant in the least. Spent the entire day thinking, "What's that smell?" Then realizing oh, it's me. My nose is untrained so I can't tell you why it was so awful. I just know the overall scent was quite unpleasant and have taken this off my "possible" list.

15 January, 2009

MerrittIsland's avatar

Songes by Annick Goutal

Songes was the first AG fragrance I felt compelled to purchase. From the moment it hits my skin, I love every nuance. Starts out so heavenly and gets better as time goes on. Recently, I worked with several other women on a project in close quarters. We had to learn over and past each other. Each woman commented on great I smelled and asked what I was wearing. One kept coming over asking for "a hit". A delightful combination!

15 January, 2009

kewart's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Wonderful, wonderful scent. Like an impressionist painting of a country landscape after a shower.
    It is luminous and poignant, soft and memorable. I normally like rich, ambery perfumes but this is
    like a breath of fresh air and surprisingly modern, despite it's age. Can't believe anyone wouldn't fall
    in love with this!

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Fougères Marines by Montale

Very good aromatic fougère with a decent amount of sillage and moderate longevity. Nice boddle concept with that cute splint to prevent the can from leaking. Quite affordable for a niche too. All in all a clear thumps ub. But where's the sea?

gupts's avatar

India India

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

If I were a lunatic, I would have surely loved this.

This is gross. It smells like your unwiped back side just after you've unloaded. Yeah this also has this animal accord in it. Like a poster above has said, there is a 'zoo' smell in it....Like a herd of filthy animals defecating in a small area and then Serge Lutens employees went there, filled up the bell jars and then with their patented (secret) process condensed this foul smell into liquid.

You must try it once and see it for yourself, how spot on I was with this.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Earthy, heady complex green, old fashioned yet sexy . . . so many adjectives apply to this now timeless Clinque chypre.

AE does an amazingly good job as a unisex frag, too, although (that said) one could just as easily say that Aramis 900 is so close to AE as to be its male counterpart. (Just amp up the herbal notes and tone down some of the roses in AE and, for all intents and purposes, you'll have Aramis 900.)

Amazing edp longevity and sillage with this frag.

A must-have for any fan of the truly "green" frags. BIG thumbs up.

Wrappings by Clinique

An odd beastie, indeed! Crisp, coniferous and almost shocking at first -- you'll think the Christmas tree was wrapped in garlands of roses and jasmine but tipped over and fell into your gin.

Soon, though, you can expect a warm and musky surprise in the dry-down. Sexy? No, but cozy and inviting nonetheless.

To be perfectly candid, I'm really surprised that Clinique hasn't discontinued Wrappings, as it's just unusual enough to be outside the mainstream of today's often confining market. (Beyond Paradise it ISN'T.) I'm damn glad Clinique HAS kept it out there on the market, but -- again -- I am surprised all the same.

A must-try, especially if you like cold weather frags which are different from all others. Easily unisex, btw.

Happy by Clinique

First off, let me say on an "off note" just how much I loved the original ad campaign with Judy Garland singing "C'mon Get Happy" in the background.

That said, on to the fragrance itself. :)

Delicious white florals and grapefruit here -- almost effervescent. This is the kind of thing I could imagine on a young Audrey Hepburn: sparkling, fun, crisp and never cloying.

Many hate this one because it was among the first in a long line of "fresh" women's frags in the Nineties. But don't shoot Happy down simply because inferior clones came behind it. Revere it instead for the lovely scent that it is.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

This one's taken a lot of flak, and I've no doubt that much of the flak in question comes as much from derision for the aggressive marketing campaign and youthful demographic as anything.

Really it's just an updated cousin to Clinique's Happy, with anise notes (a tad off-putting at first, granted) thrown in for good measure.

All in all, a very likable citrus frag with decent longevity and modest sillage.

Thumbs up, yes, but I don't think I'll be clamoring for a bottle any time soon. It's just good stuff for what it is.

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

I had expected to be "underwhelmed" by this Kenzo release -- I won't fib to you. But WOW was I pleasantly surprised! CoL has it spot on -- this stuff is (for want of a better term) downright "fizzy" in the nose. (Think of a grown-up version of lemon-lime soda, only with lots of coriander and soft florals and pleasant wood notes mixed in.) Very, very pleasing juice with a long and surprisingly powdery dry-down.

Terrific longevity and astounding sillage. Many compliments for me, too -- and that's always a nice bonus. :)

Try it.

tnamey's avatar

Omnia by Bulgari

An unusual combiniation of bright, light, but alluring and sensuous. I usually go on and on about basenotes, drydown, etc. Let's say that this is one of finest sexually come-hither scent for females. I'm glad that most women have missed this one. I might be in trouble. Clearly one of Bulgari's best scents for females, including the' Blance, the' Rouge, Blu Notte, and the most mysterious, Black! All hands up for the house of Bulgari!

paulmcc's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Tried it a couple of times & used a reasonable amount. Problem? Couldn't get it to last more than a very few minutes.

Scent is OK (for an incense-based frag) but nothing great and at the price is going for...sorry, thumbs down.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

People get very heated about this cologne...I used to HATE this stuff. It came out when I was in high school, and I think people used to spray it on their shirts, coats, hair etc etc...it is nauseatingly sweet on the top end...if you spray it on paper or clothing, the top is all you will ever get. The magic in this is the drydown. If you spray it twice on your chest, and then get dressed, the drydown is cinnamon and vetiver. It will last all day, and I have received many complement. The key is in the application and patience. Make sure you give yourself 20 minutes before getting into an elevator, and please, do not apply it to your clothing.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Cedar on the top, pencil shavings for 2 hours, then residual smoke from a campfire until you bathe the next day. If you like thick scents that proclaim your masculinity for you, this is it. Just take it easy on the application, lest you will smell like a cave man.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Not as smoky as its predecessor, but the more mild mannered topnotes make it more suitable for daily wear. The tea notes out of the bottle dominate for the first hour, and then it settles into a soft soapy musk.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Wow, this seems to a be a take it or hate it cologne. It is very strong in the opening, and softens only a little. More than 2 sprays in one spot will bring the feces out of this cologne. It hits with a combination of lavender, sandalwood and plastic. Settles into a synthetic musk. If you like previous offers from Kurkdjian (Fleur du Male, Le Male, Gaultier2, etc.) you will probably appreciate the synthetic similarities. Try it first, and take it easy on the application.

Aaron01's avatar

Orange Spice by Creed

My first thoughts were "Kouros, is that you? Why were you rolling around in an orange field?" But once you spray them on each arm for a careful juxtaposition it's very easy to tell where these scents are different.

Kouros opens dirtier due to the heavier civet and the oakmoss, the clove adds some spice to it.

Orange Spice lacks the harsh opening and has a far more subdued clove note, it can smell a bit like Kouros, but there's a very noticeable mandarin and orange note that stick with you the whole time and compliment the must and civet (?) quite nicely. The orange note is not as raw as say, FM's Bigarrade Concentree, which smells like orange peels, it's almost like that smell of fresh orange juice, it's quite noticable and it flirts with you and adds a nice balance to the scent. Upon the drydown it becomes much warmer and starts to blossom, bringing out the "dirty" notes, but the oranges never leave you.

I don't particuarly like citrus scents, but this is one like none other.....and I love it

itsthepens's avatar

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

The topnotes present bergamot, but light, fresh and soft, spiced by cardamom – piquant, dry and aromatic, this accord is almost salty.
    Watermelon underscores this with rounded, lightly sweet, melon-freshness with the faintest spice (other than the cardamom) detectable after a couple of minutes, faint notes of black pepper warm the cardamom further. It's not listed, but I get a pear note, perhaps its the citrus/melon/cardamom combo fooling me.
    Pleasant combination between the soft bergamot, clean, wistful watermelon and warming, cardamom-dominated spice. The effect is gently bracing, if that makes sense – masculine but soothing, delicately invigorating. It gives a somewhat creamy impression and as it softens into the heart there is a very faithful pipe tobacco which announces iself briefly then dissapears into the very light suede of the heart. The base is where I start to dislike this fragrance, it has the sweetened metallic-vanillic-sandalwood, synthetic and soft, that 212 has – but unlike 212, here it doesn't quite 'relax' on my skin for a few hours, until after about 6 hours all that is left is the musk and sandalwood, whereupon I love it. Like-Like-Not sure-Love. Hence the neutral rating.

itsthepens's avatar

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

the opening is sweet, tangy mandarin, quite synthetic – think the flavour of canned mandarin segments. There's also a light, vaguely soapy herbal note – fresh corriander (cilantro) to me, and a hint of what could be pepper – but it's not a rounded pepper with any true depth, more of a soft, unnatural, light pepper. The pyramid lists pink pepper, which I believe isnt actually a pepper in the same sense as black/white pepper, but a similar hardy berry.
    The overall impression is an exotic-fruity-herbal synthetic accord, with a hint of sucked-penny metallic-ness. The heart has a faint touch of florals, but it's very 'cheap smelling', and then it dissapears altogether. No discernible base, let alone anything resembling a cocoa bean.
    The sillage is pretty good, but the fragrance itself is very unimaginative and 'generic'. And the longevity is feeble.

Jeannemarie's avatar

Écume de Thé / Thé by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I have the edt version of "Ecume de The," received mid-winter, and I can tell you that this is one tea scent I would be happy to wear come spring and into the summer. It is refined, not too sweet, and I don't detect any smokiness at all--did the edp have a smokiness to it? Regardless, I am happy to have this REAL tea in my collection. : )

TaraYvonne's avatar

Fleur de Rocaille by Caron

Ok..is no one getting a faint boozey note here? I have a scent association that goes along with this perfume. It reminds me of my Mother the morning after she had a few drinks with friends. Sparkling florals made more sparkling by the faint alcohol scent given off by her skin. It wasn't a bad mix like it sounds. She actually smelled nice that way. I liked this when I tested it and couldn't figure out why it smelled familiar to me. After awhile of owning it I figured it out. It reminded me of those times and it smelled like her. Classy, ladylike with just a hint of bad girl peeking out to thrown people off. To me this smells like (faint) alcohol and florals.

SirSlarty's avatar

Angel Schlesser Essential for Men by Angel Schlesser

Fruity and musk in the opening and dries down into a spiced coffee and leather fragrance. Very interesting and quite similar to John Varvatos minus a vanilla accord. Smooth and refined. Nice!

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This should be called Tubereuse, not Cedre.

16 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 July, 2009)

Bigsly's avatar

Jacomo for Men by Jacomo

This is another case of sweetness relativity. I'm used to sweet fragrances, and this is not especially sweet at all if you are like me. In fact, the lack of overtsweetness is one thing I like about it. It seems to take a few minutes to warm up, but then the wafts you get are really nice. This is the kind of thing I was hoping Mugler's Pure Coffee would be like, and thinking about it, I would be willing to pay a lot more than the $12 I paid for a 100 ml bottle of this if this was a Mugler creation (though I would've sampled it first, rather than buying it unsampled, as I did with this one). I've tried several coffee fragrances and this is my favorite of the bunch. I can understand how some could say it lacks character, if you are used to fragrances with some sort of powerful kick to them (which this doesn't have). It's just a great accord that I've never come across before, so I have no complaints with it, because it fills a key niche in my large rotation.

Maximiliani's avatar

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I think this is what my grandmother wears as I recognize the bottle. I've always liked her perfume though, it's a warm scent for sure, a comfort scent so I can totally see the old lady implications, but I think on the right person it would do just fine. Give it a sniff and go LIGHT on application.

Sybarite's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Firstly, I feel this fragrance to be totally miss-named. The name Dzing! bings to mind images that are either fresh, airy and/or zesty. Dzing! however is nothing like that. In fact, almost the opposite I find (more Dzang! or Dzong! really, no?) .... It's a leather fragrance.
    Then with all this talk of circus and horsey notes, it's enough to scare most people away from it. However, I really urge you not to be put off and definitely give it a try on your skin rather. On mine, I don't get any overtly dirty/animalic notes at all. (well, apart from the leather). I'm not generally a leather scent lover, however this one I'm very fond of. Probably, because rather than a heavy strong leather, the immediate impression is rather of being enveloped in a comfy, brand new large ladies suede glove. (body glove?). On my skin, I do not find it overtly vanilla or sweet. The sugar is more 'burnt', than 'bright'.
    The opening notes are reminiscent of that very first whiff after lifting the lid off a box of brand new suede stilletos. But being well mellowed by the light powdery vanilla and the hay, those saddle notes become almost amber-y, comforting and very luxuriuos.
    There is very little developent, once the scent has setteled down, there it stays for the long run. Just subtle nuances drifting in and out.
    I think it's a very wearable, unisex fragrance and would classify it as: soft leather-light. Perfect as an enrty level leather fragrance. Though quirkey,
    I don't agree with it being all that avant-garde as it's been made out to be and totally disagree with "Bigsley"( posted above). Yes it is a linear scent but so expertly blended that the resulting leather accord, and indeed scent, is so smooth that no individual note ever dominates another. Creating a different, unusual but interesting fragrance that's captivating and dare I say, sophisticated?!

soirdelune's avatar

Parure by Guerlain

I'm a bit nonplussed, really. This is a Guerlain? It just doesn't seem to pack a 'typical' Guerlain punch. It starts out promisingly, with a pungent spurt of citrus, but this falls flat within seconds, then recedes into floral gentility. It is the middle that registers most positively with me: an impeccably orchestrated rose, lilac and jasmine blend, though this again subsides rapidly, to a nigh-on indiscernible base. No [I]guerlinade[/I], as far as I can register. This scent is not without charm and is, naturally, high on taste, but it races towards the finish line, silent, unmoved and without deigning to break into a sweat -- like a beautiful woman who doesn't much like having sex.

Max1mu51's avatar

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

Recieved as a christmas present, it's ok. There is absolutely nothing in this that would make me want to buy it again. its very boring. The grey is most suitable as it is very grey in the way it smells. Only two things really come to mind when wearing this cologne, U from ungaro, and Pencil shavings. A slightly fruitesque opening with the mandarin and grapefruit, other than that. I can only say I'm not impressed.

AnimaSola's avatar

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Cashmere Mist is the olfactory apotheosis of a pure femininity. Its rich creamy, soapy smell makes me almost want to wear it, but this is definitely not a unisex fragrance. I have identified it on others, it stands out so gorgeously. Lofty and luscious, this is a ravishingly innocent scent.

AnimaSola's avatar

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

I absolutely love this brew. Oddly, I agree with some of the negative comments I've read; there is a chemical undertone to it. However, there is one note in this that stands out (ivy leaf?), and imbues the fragrance with an exotic air that I've never found in any other scent. I cannot figure out what it is. I realize this is a completely subjective appeal, so I would never recommend a blind purchase of DKNY. The bottle is tall and elegant, but impractical.