Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Refreshing and different. It smells better in the dry down because its first impact is a little harsh and chemical smelling. Very long lasting. A rich, herbal and sweet bouquet. Don't buy it blind, but buy it cheap.

Nobile by Gucci

Gucci discontinued this beauty in order to make way for a parade of mediocre fragrances. I don't get it. I regret not buying this the last time I saw it in a store, at a discount price. One of the most distinctive scents ever created.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Sexy and civilized. This always elicits positive comments when I wear it. It dries down wonderfully. How do the Spanish manage to create such original fragrances?

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Yuk! Pencil shavings and suffocating church-like incense. What were they thinking? Suitable for a gothic funeral.

Guess Man by Guess

There are notes in this that are cloying and ruin the character of the essence. An annoying melange.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

you love it or hate it. i'm the 2nd one... for me, and what's more importand on me, it's just smell like mix of many different sweets, - candys, chocolate, cocoa etc

Pi by Givenchy

1st - great bottle! one of the best ever.
    2nd - i like sweet fragrance but it's too sweet even for me ;/. i dont' like anymore fragrance with sweet vanilla drydown...

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

you are making a statement during using this. it's one of "in your face" fragrance but in good way... it's like incense before burning...

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

i've got a sample (in a plastic package) and when i open it i just felt very nice scent. it must have been that great drydown...
    after putting it on my skin it was much more worse... ;/. on my i just smell like avarage drug from drugstore

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

it's soo nice, peaceful and deep scents. it's my favourtie from all jardin. unfortunatly on my dry skin it has poor longevity. anyway i like to spray mist in my room and enjoy it!!

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

right - this one is quite sintetic, don't move but it's also quite nice.
    bottle is a masterpiece! it's like pi or echo

Dinsypedia's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I made a special trip into town to try and most likely buy this based on the community threads and various reviews, and was really looking forward to sampling a good vanilla & tobacco scent.

Unfortunately, I was bitterly disappointed. What I sprayed on the test strip was so sickly sweet and cloying that after 10 minutes of walking around the store and waiting it to settle, I couldn't bring myself to wait for any longer for a sign of the tobacco to appear. It was sickly sweet and yes almost alcoholic to the point of causing an upset stomach.

archibald's avatar

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

Riverside Drive occupies the penthouse in the same building where Cartier Santos Concetree and Rochas Lui also live, managing to be at once more ostentatious and more refined than it's neighbors. The rose and lily make Riverside Drive's silage every bit as powerful as the Cartier and Rochas, but while the latter two frags seem to be all about wood on my skin, Riverside drive's sweet fruit and flowers keep it squarely on the pretty side of masculine. My go-to for dressy social occasions.

16 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2009)

Noelle-a-Belle's avatar

Michael Kors Very Pretty by Michael Kors

With the first spray, this fragrance seems to be very strong and very floral; in fact it smells very close to Marc Jacobs signature perfume. But after the dry down the jasmine becomes pretty faint and the sandalwood blends in pretty nicely. It's not a strong scent by any means. But i'ts very pleasant, not overpoweringly floral OR musky, and I swear I detect citrus, maybe grapefruit? I think that anyone who likes the clean genre of fragrances will like this one.

Bartlebooth's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a well made piece of confectionary from YSL. It immersed me in a buttered popcorn cloud that took some hours to become even vaguely muted, This sort of sweetness sits uncomfortably with me, as I am neither young enough nor effeminate enough to wear this with confidence. It should however be lauded for it's beautiful balance of ingredients. It has an obtrusive sillage, and never felt as though it would overpower either myself or the company I was in. Small pulses of fragrance orbited my body consistently for the whole day. It is for this impressive chemical architecture that I believe it is a thumbs up. I don't like it's face, but it has a body to die for.

ibarney5's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

What more can I add. Linear tobacco and vanilla. On me, it is blended quite well so that you really can't tell where the tobacco ends and the vanilla begins. As it begins to fade, a light smell of hot chocolate and marshmallows is all that remains. A pleasing end to a pleasing experience. Extremely comfortable. Longevity is good on me bordering on 8-10 hours.

abc1234's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I am not into sweet/sour(citrus) type of smell in general. A* Man struck me with a smell of pure sugar, a little burnt. It's so intense, thick, and "food" type of smell just not my cup of tea. I can't think of an occasion people wear this fragrance: certainly not at work, you don't want to offend people; not dine out since it may interfere with the smell of the food there. .....

Just say no.

Promethea's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This is just lovely! a gorgeous mix of coffee, caramel and lavender. I have seen some reviews which mentioned that the coffee note disappears for them pretty quickly or begins to turn sour. This wasn't the case for me (or possibly I am easily pleased by bad, cheap coffee ;) Lasts all day too. Wonderful! I just wish it wasn't so expensive - if I hadn't found it half price in the Fortnum & Mason January sale, I could never have afforded it.

old chap's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

tested this in a Kohls and I must say it's terrible. Honestly it wouldn't be quite so bad if it wasn't for that pungent "gasoline" smell I get when I put it on. And I don't mean a synthetic smell, no, almost all colognes have that to some degree, I mean a real gasoline-like smell. Maybe it mellows out later on, but I didn't care to try it.

Give it a neutral because it could be decent if that gasoline scent wasn't so strong on first application.

juliane's avatar

Germany Germany

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

it's about roses but even more...dunno what it is, maybe a mix of spices an roses. for it's more sexy than romantic.
    a scent for young women in their twenties, romantic and rocky at the same time. it's very intense and long lasting on my skin, i use it rather careful. it has been my fav scent for a long time, although i really dislike the bottle design....!
    but had to experience, that i must be into rose scents...i always thought i don't like flowery scents.

DouglasToms's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

New to the world of fragrance, this was only the second scent I bought. A blind buy based on the ratings the scent received, I was not disappointed. The opening is very strong and almost to 'old' for me, however the scent becomes much more appealing and modern as it progresses.

tinoss97's avatar

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

It's a nice, refreshing and somewhat aquatic fragrance. But my god, it lasts no longer than a butterfly's fart.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

Love Angel and love this version! It wears similar to the original and dries down to a distinct patchouli scent that lasts and lasts.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Very sweet! Definitely smells like a cupcake. My husband smelled this in the store and begged me to get it for myself. I liked how it smelled out of the bottle and even more on my skin. It lasted about 7 hours on my wrist before it faded away.

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

I feel in love with the scent the moment I smelled it in a magazine ad. I love sweet scents (and spicier, go figure) and this is as sweet as it gets. Almost has a cotton candy-vanilla scent to it and it lasts all day. It's a very creamy scent and the bottle is gorgeous.

zztopp's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Notes:
    Top: Lime, Key lime, Peppermint, Rum
    Middle: Pelargonium, Green tea, Rhubarb
    Base: Vetiver, Cedar, Sugar cane

Ah, Guerlain Homme (GH)...Guerlains new flagship fragrance for men. Trebor and Vibert below have accurately described what a huge disappointment this is from Guerlain, but like a curious bystander watching an eastside cornerboy get gangbanged by westside cornerboys and aching to land a few kicks on the intruder, I will similarly land a few blows on GH here..

Like a top loaded fragrance designed for mass appeal, the "mojito" opening initially suffices. The tart, bitter lime brushed by a tinge of herbaceous and uplifting mint is joined by a good quality (light woody sweet/earthy) rum absolute note = good mojito accord. And thats about it for GHs positive qualities really and its all by-the-numbers and a generic boring mess from there. The mojito accord disappears as soon as you have swiped that credit card to pay for your bottle and by the time you step out the store you might as well be carrying a raggedy "random formula" drugstore juice in that PininFarina bottle. The heart is a light floral note thingy with a supposed "genius" addition of a rhubarb note by JP Guerlain .. ironically I suspect its this somewhat plasticky sour-floral rendition of the rhubarb note together with cedar that is resposible for the much maligned "synthetic woody amber" note that so infects many a generic compositions. The base has a mini-me vetiver note and something which smells sweetish .. is it the sugar cane? This monumentally boring backend could have been more successful if any semblance of the famous guerlinade accord could have (lazily) been copy and pasted in the formula.

Compared to the current mens flagship releases from close competitors (Terre d'Hermes, Dior Homme, etc.), GH comes off as terribly uninspired and lacking in quality of ingredients (most the simpler Aqua Allegoria series sport better ingredients). GHs promotion bears all the hallmarks of the latest designer release from the likes of Ck et al...big money launch party promotion, embarrassingly "cool" adverts ("For the animal in you"), and ofcourse a juice for the masses. Buy this if Guerlain is all you worship, or if you want to see how far this once mighty house has fallen..

Rating: 4.75/10.0

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Smells a lot like Aramis Life, (sweet, sligfhtly powdery citrus) but far more refined. It ended up like Tom Ford for men on my skin. i do like this better than Tom Ford becuase it is a bit more bold and audacious rather than cautious like TF.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

Definately positive, thumbs up. Very nice fragrance. If you are familiar with the original Polo, then subtract the feces shrouded in cigar smoke blast that hits you in the beginning. I also get a hint of Purple Label/Romance Silver. This is a very manly. elegant wearable instant classic. Worth a test, and to me much much better than the original.

scentaddiction's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Unlike mrclmind, I bought this before I read Luca Turin's review....once I read his opinion, I thought that I needed to give it another chance....I completely agree with mrclmind. I would prefer to wear that blue Derek Jeter concoction to this. It is a generic citrus mess with less longevity than a lush hand lotion. I only paid 20 bucks for a 3.4, and it was about 19.50 too much. Please try this before adding it to a collection based on Turin's review, mine only gathers dust....

TaraYvonne's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

This one is a gentle beauty, a little shy for me and the lasting power on me isn't great (sadly only about four hours). It is lovely and mysterious, though. I find it best for bedtime as a comforting whole body mist. My husband likes it, and it doesn't overpower him when we snuggle up together. I think it's very sensual. I get peppery, musky flowers that have started to wilt but are at their perfume prime. Dusky roses with heads drooping, one petal drops to the table...you get the idea. I get the slightest hint of aged cedar. I find it very womanly, though, don't quite know how a man could pull this one off although some say on here they can. To each his own I guess. For me, this has scent of a woman written all over it.