Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

TaraYvonne's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A few Serge Lutens scents have this one certain arrid, stinky note that ruins the whole thing for me. If it wasn't for this one thing that I'm too much of a novice to know what it is, the rest of it would be beautiful for me. Gris Clair had this in spades, a huge blast of that arrid, super ICK note. I find it in this one too, so sad. I wanted to love this one so badly. The description alone had me scrambling to get a sample. It was heartbreaking to detect that one gross scent in this otherwise haunting and unique perfume.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

I find this scent very light, cool, and clean. I didn't get the playdough accord that many mention. I call it (after the dry down) clean, late summer grasses, down wind from a grove of ripe cherry trees. I caught a whiff of far off cherries in a cool, dry early evening meadow. I have experienced this as a child on the farm I grew up on. Large expanses of grassy fields and in the distance there would be apple and cherry trees. I remember running my fingers through dried out grasses as I walked along, smelling hints of the large round hay bales and orchard fruits riping. The sun was settling and it was time to go inside and I would hear my Mother calling me. The air was crisper, cooler as it got darker and the scents around me got more distinct. That's what this reminds me of. The scent of cherries, dry grasses, and cool clean evening wind. For those who call that scent cheap, you may be right. The best things in life are free. I'd be happy to pay for this one though, they managed to bottle a wholesome memory.

Oldfactory's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

When Estee Lauder used to give this away as part of their "gifts with purchase" back when the fragrance was launched, I hated it. What did I know? I was 9. The perfume made no sense to me. Azuree was garish, made my throat swell, and smelled like Pine Sol. This is the El Greco of the Estee Lauder range--way ahead of its time, and for sillage and staying power, is nearly without equal. The olfactory half-life of this stuff is somewhere in the plutonium range. The fragrance begins sharp, green, medicinal and pungent and evolves to an odd, oxymoronic cold, clean leather. When I received my miniature a few days ago, it was loathing at first whiff. But Azuree, like most brilliant compositions, brainwashes you until you find yourself loving what you hate. This is a complex, demanding scent. Wear this to the gym, and you will never feel the claustrophobic crush of company in your vicinity. This one is a room-clearer, and I mean that in the best way. If this were simply an impolite fragrance masquerading as something wearable, I'd be appalled. But Azuree wants to be offensive, does so unapologetically, and for this reason is brilliant and addictive.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

One of those real stinkers. Sweet and powdery. There's a quality to Giorgio that's similar to Kouros and that's the honey note in the drydown but it's combined with a mossy note. I can see the appeal but it's a clunky perfume. CLunky and masculine.

l'eau de parfum #3 green, green, green and green by Miller et Bertaux

THere's no denying the fact that this is a GREEN fragrance. This is a very citrusy, sappy green. Very lively. Very similar to Guerlain's Vetiver that's out now minus a tobacco accord.

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

I really liked Instinct and plunked down a few bucks to pick up a sample of this. Well, it's a sweet and licorice based scent. It's nice and all but... lacks a punch and runs out of steam but decent enough.

Fireside by Sonoma Scent Studio

A more wearable version of Eau du Fier. Has that smoldering woods of a fireplace but while its going on. Slightly smokey and sweet. The Intense version is more animalic. A very interesting scent.

Jour Ensoleillé by Sonoma Scent Studio

Very rich. Very smooth. A lovely floral chypre. Sweet neroli (orange blossom) top notes with an ambergris and light oakmoss base. I'm indecisive about wearing it hence the neutral rating.

Tamboti Wood by Susanne Lang

A pleasing "white" soft wood with a touch of sweetness to it due to a rich vetiver and I think patchouli base. Very nice and airy. Fairly expensive but a good smell none the less.

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

Clean (florals) and sweet (tonka bean/vanilla) lavender. Like a sugar coated garden. Nose wrinkling harsh at first but does settle down a bit. I'll pass on it.

Rock Crystal by Olivier Durbano

Dry, cold, woody mineral. Has the same "menthol" accord I noted in Black Tourmaline. Here, the "menthol" is really nice and peppery but still cold. This is very elegant but unwearable for me, but really neat to sniff at.

Isotta Fraschini Profumo Uomo by Isotta Fraschini

Lemony sweet powdery mix of woods and vanilla. A fresh sweetness to it that I would describe as "fabric softener"... expensive fabric softener.

Cereus pour Homme No. 5 by Cereus

Nice spicy woody top with a unique middle accord that's like Terre d'Hermes' dominant bitter orange peel accord. All around light and a good spicy scent to wear for warm days.

eo01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Smells like any ol' sweet and floral womens perfume to me. A little resinous and slightly powdery. The styrax note is prominent. Meh.

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

I do not get much projection from this but what I do smell is a very nice woody oriental with solid sweetness and spices note. The alphabet soup list of accords is overwhelming and the fragrance itself becomes a complex obstacle course and it feels like you're wearing a jigsaw puzzle. Very interesting to say the least.

hb01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Too "perfumey". A fake floral gardenia and a little sweet. Just really, really banal and trite and a failed attempt and making a nice floral.

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

THick smokey pepper in the opening.... but it's so potent that it transcends a peppery accord into an odd menthol accord (much like Vicks Vaporub). This is very strong. Excellent sillage. Not for me.

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

I must say I'm disappointed. I expected a rich, lively vetiver. Instead it smells more like a dull, incense and dry cedarwood that ends up smelling like... well, an ordinary perfume.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

The way this cologne evolves while on your skin is absolutely amazing. I didn't like it when I first smelled it, but sprayed some on anyway. Several hours later, I caught the most wonderful scent and realized it was the Issey, which had dried down and exposed new layers. Very long lasting and makes your clothes smell wonderful.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I find that this one rapidly becomes tiresome. It's fresh and exciting when it first goes on, then develops into a cloying sweetness. It's nice on warmish days when you'll be spending lots of time outside in the open air, but doesn't go well indoors or when wearing heavier clothing.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This really smells no different than $5 sandalwood oil that street vendors sell along with incense and cheap romance novels. It's not a bad scent, but it's not really special in any way.

Asha's avatar

Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Royall Lyme of Bermuda Royall Lyme

True to its name, Royall Lyme starts with a strong lime blast. It is refreshing--fruity and juicy without being candy-like. It evokes all parts of a lime, the aromatic rind, the juice and the pulp. I would not say it is sweet necessarily, but a balance of sweet, tart and bitter. The juicy part of the opening fades rather quickly, but the bitter lime rind lingers, and is joined by subtle spices (clove, cinnamon), bay, and sweet resins (benzoin). Eventually, RL starts to take on a dry floral powder note which I would guess to be orris. From time to time, I catch whiffs of lime rind, which adds a pleasant, slightly sour edge. I have only tried one other Royall fragrance, and with RL, I am starting to see that this house tends to produce non-fussy, straightforward and classic cologne water. Royall seems to have a house base which consists of resins, bay and spices with faintly present floral notes. It is very pleasant, and is fresh and clean smelling without being soapy. The bay note does add a "barbershop" sense to the composition, but in RL, the bay is quite subdued. This is preferable since to my nose, bay can easily hijack a fragrance--as a single note it is strong and long-lasting, so I appreciate the deft use of it in RL. RL was originally intended for men, but its overall balance of fruit, floral and muted bay/resin base makes this very wearable for a woman. As with most cologne waters, the longevity is rather poor, but most of these types of scents were intended as an after bath or after shave freshener. Total development took 3-4 hours, and the deep drydown is soft bay, benzoin and a bit of sweet powder.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Cool Water by Davidoff

This marks the end of the 80's, the end of an era. (but I was only a few months old then so what do I know?)

It is undoubtedly a well-constructed fresh fougere, but given how I feel about it now, I can only give a neutral rating. Alas, I'm sure it had once been in a part of all our lives. A memory for countless people for sure.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire

A take on the classical "eau de cologne" with a twist. From the many different variations and derivatives of the cologne theme I've tried, this is one of the most characterful and appealing.

The typical cool sharp herbal-citrus opening with a touch of lavender fades very quickly, revealing the twist which here is a bucketload of anise/licorice that soon fades in volume leaving behind incense and tobacco. If you think that sounds masculine, yes, you're right, it is -- after all, it was meant to evoke Napoleon. Note that some may be turned off by the overwhelming amount of anise, but frankly, I am a fan of the note. Not the best scent in the world, but I have to give a well-deserved enthusiastic thumbs up for this one.

tanto's avatar

Un Parfum d'Aventure by Piver

I purchased this and Cuir de Russie in Bloomingdale's back in 1991 and have never sen them since then......anywhere. They are both such an easy fragances to wear. Very pleasant to the senses. If anyone comes across the Piver frags, please let me know.

SatinMaster's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This was the very first cologne I ever owned. My freshman year in high school was when I first tried it on and I loved every moment of it! All the females in class were blown away by this scent. The fellas on the other hand despised it, but had to concede that I stepped my game up excellently! A great all-around fragrance for home, office, school, and even the lounge. The key: wear it in small amounts on your pressure points(neck, wrists, etc.) and allow it to dry before you dress. You will get double-takes all day.

da_markos's avatar

Poland Poland

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

hmm on my skin it's very simillar to mugler's cologne - but in my opinion it's better. simple, fresh, soapy scent

Vincents1278's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Definitely not for everyone, but if it works with your chemistry then you're in for a treat. The Lapsang Souchang tea notes give a smoky and almost rubbery scent that sits in the background while warm amber and vanilla notes dry to a creamy scent on the skin. Hints of Jasmine, cedar, sandalwood and musk can be found but mostly these blend together to create one unique fragrance. Somewhat like Le Male but less sweet and no mint.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

This could easily have become some chaotic vetiver and wood fest, but the quality of the ingredients and the balance of their implementation ensures Encre Noire scales impressive heights. Many vetiver productions have allowed the rougher attributes to dominate and occupy the extremes, but Lalique have chosen a simpler path - highlighting the darkness in the ingredients, and polishing them into an inky masterpiece. Not even nibbling Prozac from the crests of a supermodel's buttocks would be as pleasurable.

17 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2010)

abc1234's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Absolutely fantastic! It is very difficult for me to describe the smell for lack of terminologies. It is clean, subdued, classy, no sweetness, pleasant, fresh, ... I didn't imagine such fragrance can exist!

Two thubms UP!