Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

abc1234's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It has a hint of Vetiver Guerlain but ligher, rounder, a tad of sweeter, more complex. Equally all time classic. No wonder so many people love it. One of my best blind buys..... wait, all my "buys" were blind! ;)

saffrongold's avatar

The Party in Manhattan by The Party

When I grow up and become an eloquent perfumista able to give lyrical descriptions of intertwining notes I will return to give this perfume the review that it deserves. But as a newbie all I can say is how this great perfume makes me feel. ECSTATIC!
    It is a perfect blend: no screeching notes pull it off balance, no part of its development from first spray to drydown is anything other than a pleasure and there is no need to keep reapplying as this juice lasts and lasts and lasts and......
    I love smelling like this! It is that simple.
    Please try it
    (Phew that is my first ever review done)

bedaulta's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

At first whiff, this cologne hit me like the original Polo (which would be fine if it were the 1980's), so I was quite turned off. But as it settled, I began to find myself relentlessly sniffing my wrist. I tried this at the same time as Le Male, which is too powdery for my taste. This is an excellent oriental, blends great with my chemistry, has a fantastic longevity, and has a pretty good sillage from what I'm told. This has become the all-star of my rotation.

JAntoinette's avatar

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

This opens with a clean, fresh jasmine note before turning a corner to reveal a sweet, leafy tobacco presence, not a smoked cigarette in an ashtray, but a freshly rolled one manipulated through the fingers of a woman waiting for a light. It is at once both illumination and shadow. And like a cigarette, this is satisfying yet fleeting.

mahir's avatar

Azerbaijan Azerbaijan

Chrome by Azzaro

For me it's one of the best. Girls love it, believe me!
    Very fresh and nice smell.

Loro's avatar

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Definitely a summer fragrance for me, and yes, I get the soap too, but love the freshness of this and the way it dries down woody, with no sweetness. Pretty good longevity on me - stays tangy for a couple of hours or so. I admit that after a couple of sniffs I get generic citrus, rather than pure grapefruit, but still find it pleasantly zingy. A great fallback light summer fragrance, for those occasions when you don't necessarily want to make too much effort or impression!

clauditza_kissez's avatar

Burberry London by Burberry

i like sweet parfumes like that.it smells a litle like blackberries.i tried that parfume at the shop and i've heard people saying:wow it smells so good this perfume

kenyon's avatar

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

A bright blast of lemon starts things off, sharp and clean. A powdery lemon follows twenty minutes later. Lasts about an hour. High quality, as you would expect from Chanel, but a purely gourmand fragrance. Not masculine, not feminine, not even unisex, just lemons. Bath and Body Works just discontinued their 'Kitchen Lemon' hand soap and the Allure Homme Sport Cologne dry down is identical...nice powdery lemon.
    Do you want to be Lemon Boy?....me either ;)

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

Oh no! Why did you spill your grape slush on my Bentley's seats?! You could've just sprayed some Cuir Venenum!

2011 Revisit:
    A plastic cup of grape-scented beer in the cupholder of an all-new Continental GT.

17 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2011)

Mandella's avatar

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

Love it. Don't know why.Assuming I do have some integrity in this matter,I believe the reviews are a little too cursory. Definately a winter fragrance. Would be too overbearing in the summer or springtime.

17 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2011)

JoeJoe81's avatar

Séxual Fresh pour Homme by Michel Germain

i never really try the fresh version of any fragrances, but im surprised noone ever reviewed this fragrance so here it goes......I actually enjoy it a lot and get a lot of compliments on it...it smells citrusy with a bit of wood in it, nothing like it's brother though....two complete oposites

Quarry's avatar

Indu Kush / Hindu Kush by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

My notion of new-sawn wood is vastly different from yours, I'm sure. I expect your experiences harken from freshly cut trees or home-improvement-center lumber or year-old firewood. Whereas the most impressionable wood from my life is much older, as are the buildings and furnishings that make up our home. Even as my dear husband renovates our house, he's using lumber harvested generations ago and stored through most of the 1900s by my frugal father. The green vapors have dissipated from this stuff; it is tightly grained, resin-sweet, and musty-dusty in a good way. To my mind, this kind of wood is the primary ingredient in Hindu Kush. Its creator talks of "taking a walk in an Indian market, where clouds of incense smoke escape through the open doors of temples to be mixed with the perfumes of the east, ginger, cumin, nutmeg and pepper." Not having any experiences like that, I associate HK's secondary accord to be like walking past the open door of a Penzeys Spices store--there's just that general melange of comforting scents--not firey, not sharp. And this, my friends, is the totality of Hindu Kush: simplicity, beauty, timelessness, and without gender. Unlike any other of the hundreds of bottled fragrances I've smelled, I want to draw in HK's scent deeply, like you would steam from a pungent soup or narcotic smoke. It feels like you should breath Hindu Kush, and I suppose at least part of that is due to its being composed of natural ingredients.

When I first sampled HK from a bottle with a reducer opening, I thought the scent faded away too quickly, but once I applied it from an atomizer and allowed the overspray to hit my cuffs, I was rewarded with hours and hours of aroma. Now, having gotten to know the scent over many days, I can find only one drawback to wearing it: I am too contented. Where other fragrances may make me kick up my heals or swoon or smile, Hindu Kush will let me settle and feel lazy, wistful. So it isn't a workday fragrance--at least not a workday where you actually want to get anything accomplished.

An interesting phenomenon arrived with this bottle: My husband asked to wear this fragrance, and asked again. So I've split the scent between us, and it's the only one we share in this way. Of course he forgets the name and calls it The Sawdust One. He's also fascinated by the hay scent sold by Profumo.it, while I think my favorite sample yet may be the Scents of the Soul Oak Moss.

To further sell you on sampling from this perfume house, know that it was the only natural perfume source Luca Turin included in The Guide, giving Hindu Kush four stars and labeling it "resinous oakmoss," the floor-wax-and-church-incense start of Mitsouko.

schumi's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Starts off quite promising but then it develops into a rather mainstream scent. Since this is a summer fragrance, one should not expect a whole lot of depth or complexity, but still, it's quite a disappointment.

schumi's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Not bad, but way too synthetic for my taste. Although I do appreciate the clean, distinct quality of this fragrance, it is, just like many of the modern scents, too artificial for me to enjoy it.

Escada Collection by Escada

Fruity sweet oriental. Smells like it should be Egoiste pour Femme.

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

The citrus is a teensy bit sour in this and reminds me of the flavoring added to most fish meals.

Devin by Aramis

I'm on the fence. I think this is a animalic leather green chypre. I do not like the floral notes in this. They are too airy and white, drowning out the fresh, good greenness of the basenotes.

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

Not a lie, a lighter version of Kouros. A lighter and more wearable version of Kouros that might be too light for the true fans of the "dirty" Kouros. Still has that infamous urinious note but it's much more subtle. I think there's an added citrus note as well.

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

I find this odd. Smells like a cross between a chypre and a fougere. The opening seems like a fougere with green fern and the drydown feels like a chypre with light mossy notes. I don't know what so oriental about this and what's with all the effusive praise is all about.

Pi Fraiche by Givenchy

Pi with a sweet tangerine note added on top with the same base notes just lighter. That's all I have to say about that.

Persian Leather by Caswell-Massey

Linear leather with a touch of bittersweet citrus to it. I find this leather scent bearable. This smells like a good leather to me.

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

Overly sweet and green. Smells like a feminine fourgere. It's not bad but totally lacks a punch other than too perfumey smelling.

Fahrenheit Summer by Christian Dior

A citrusy violet that's sharp and boisterous. If Fahrenheit is too potent but you still like it, the summer version would be a good alternative.

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

A nifty little citrus green and spicy woods. Very smooth. Not very long lasting but very good.

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

Sweet cedar and musky patchouli. Slightly powdery and peppery. Pretty good but I don't find it "amazing".

Spark Seduction for Men by Liz Claiborne

I received this in a swap. I had tried the original Spark and thought no more of it until I saw a flanker. I see flankers as either an attempt to rectify a flop release or to milk more money out of the line (I'm looking at YOU Curve). Sedectution makes the original Spark look like a heavy, unbearable and overly sweet alcoholic fragrance and turns it into a lighter and more "fresh" feeling fragrance. Unfortunately the seductions doesn't last very long but it is quite pleasing. Woods and boozy notes on top and a fresh zingy pepperiness throughout with a sweet musky base. NMice but still has that "I'm a Liz Claiborne fragrance and I'm very chemical and synthetic" balance to it.

Boss in Motion Edition Green by Hugo Boss

A less fruity version of the original. More muskier with a touch of spiced cedar.

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Salty and smokey leather patchouli buring in a fireplace alongside some vanilla and animalic qualities. Too bizarre though.

Tokyo by Kenzo

A nice mix of sweet, spicy and woody notes. The orange gives this a pleasant turn from plain old citrus and spices to the sweet and herbal woods. Unique but very light as most Japanese designer scents are.

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

Gag! Thick and syrupy chocolate and woods. While I like gourmand scents, does something need to be this intense? And as far as I know, it's an EdT! While I find the scent absolutely delicious, it is not bearable to wear.