Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

lizzie_j's avatar
    lizzie_j

Film Noir by Ava Luxe

I was quite prepared to love this, but alas it's the first from this wonderful house that I dislike. Opening blast of plasticky licorice, then it morphs into cheap leather. I like leather but this feels too much like a hodge-podge of weirdness. Still, points for creativity, so I can't give it a full thumbs down. I'd rather encourage something weird than boring...and this is definitely not boring!

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

a well made sample of liquid mediocrity. can't imagine what people thought of it in 1914....surely no man would have worn it then.

Scent Intense by Costume National

this is a really mediocre scent. and WAY too feminine for a guy to comfortably wear, in my opinion. I got the impression that this was gonna be dark and mysterious-----however all i see in this fragrance is PINK. A floral amber, which doesn't really carry any sort of guts within it---just sort of floats around with no real focus. FAIL.

Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella

This is not a real leather scent. I wanted to love this---i really did....however this is a very amber heavy spice driven affair, lacking in any real leather notes or suede. It is a huge dissappointment, as far as i am concerned. It's very well made, however that doesn't change the fact that the name of the fragrance (translates into Spanish Leather) is a complete deception. FAIL!

Cuoio by Odori

What a GREAT leather fragrance this is. Fresh wood, leather and petrol. One of the best scents of the year. This stuff is so fresh and light---unlike most of the other leather scents out there. There is a sophistication to this which is lacking in other 'new' Leather scents like Duro or Lonestar Memories. This stuff smells like polished wood floors being scrubbed with a leather rag----very very cool. I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the Odori range, if it's nearly as good as this---i'm sold. The downside to this is the massive $210 price tag, which is a bit intense in itself. I got my bottle for half off, so i have no complaints.....yet!

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Chocolat Frais by Il Profumo

Can't believe no-one has detected the orange in this -- it's a chocolate orange. I purchased this some years ago as I was in a gourmandy phase and I really liked it then -- it was sweet and sexy and lasted all day on me, but the novelty wore off eventually. You could do a lot worse if you are still the hungry type though. Won't ever return but will thumbs up.

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

I've gone right off rose fragrances -- I think they all smell better on women anyway. But I did hover over my wallet with this one as I think it's lovely -- very much like Paestum Rose by Eau D'Italie. What's all this nonsense regarding the words 'synthetic' and 'artificial' in perfumes-- just accept that as a fact with 99.9% of fragrances -- 0.1% is for the super rich -- don't let perfumers tell you otherwise.

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Chloé (new) by Chloé

an older lady had this on and it just amazed me so i asked. mature and oriental. not for the faint of heart. very creamy and thick. old school in a new school era.

stylerico's avatar
    stylerico

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Very unique. Nothing smells like it in my experience. Very unique and versatile. Can be used on most occasions. I wouldn't use it on very formal occasions, but just about every other format its a go. Especially nice after a day on the beach after a nice hot shower. Also works for all ages. When I first got hold of it I couldn't stop smelling it. Very addictive. Remember wear it light so theres no overkill. The dry down does not change a lot but it really doesn't have to as it smells great when it first goes on. Not much sillage, and above average staying power. I love it for its originality.

Basteri's avatar
    Basteri
    Spain Spain

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

aqua? what? this is very twisted interpretation of an aquatic fragrance. rubbish

AnnS's avatar
    AnnS

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

I've worn Chanel's Coco for many years, and also Prada edp. Badgley Mischka fits somewhere in the same ball-park as these two, although it's not as sophisticated or spicy as Coco and not as soft and rich as Prada. Both of these are leagues less sweet than Badgley Mischka. I can't see myself wearing Badgley Mischka every day, but it definitely has a place in my fragrance wardrobe. It borders on being almost too sweet for me, and makes me think of brandied fruits. But it is still a beautiful fragrance for those who want something with a lot of personality and not like the other canned fruit dreck that's being sold. The ambery base is very good, and by the time you get there, it's a lot less sweet. It is very very pretty and feminine, almost womanly. Sillage is impressive and lasting power good. This is my favorite of all the fruit fragrances floating around - a lot richer with more personality than Boucheron B, for instance. This is mostly for fall and winter weather, or special, exuberant occasions. I think it would be oppresive in summer, even though there is something lush and almost tropical about it.

sweetanthem's avatar
    sweetanthem

Amarige by Givenchy

Not a huge fan of the Incredible Hulkyness of this tuberose. On me, it does nothing but Bruce Banner its way down to a soapy green soliflore. Duration is nice, at least three (very long) episodes of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy. Which might be the only place to truly wear it.

Ignatius N*6's avatar
    Ignatius N*6

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I purchased a bottle of this unsniffed, which is a gamble that I find I am quite good at lately! I loved CdG2 from the moment I sprayed it, and know it will find a nice place in my wardrobe.

CdG2 opens with sharp and buzzing aldehydes, but quickly settles into a less buzzing warm inky note surrounded by fruits and flowers (magnolia? blackberries? violets?). The overall feel is that of a late spring morning described by the flowing ink pen of e.e. cummings, but carefully folded and resting in the brassiere of his lover. Its that kind of abstract notion that I really appreciate about the fragrance.

The amber and labdanum start to become recognizable in the basenotes, but the constant buzzing gives it a linear quality. Although listed as a unisex fragrance, I feel that more women will find it wearable than men. I myself am male and will have no problem, but know some male peers for whom this won't readily appeal.

telegramrome's avatar
    telegramrome

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Be prepared...BdP is forceful and makes no apologies. It's for a man who likes his power, class, and dropping top dollar on little indulgences to make his presence known. It screams Michael Douglas in 80's flick, Wall Street.

You might want to brace yourself for its initial lavender love smack. I describe it as mildly assualtive because it's forceful, dramatic, impactful, but, fortunately, not offensive.

Even though BdP opens strong and at first sniff resembles a more refined RL Chaps, its fine craft and unmistakable Creed nature come out in its middle and end: ashy, woodsy, cigar-lounge middle, sandalwood and ambergris for its finish.

Overall, to be appreciated if you like powerhouse scents or if you feel like something traditional, impressive, and high quality. Not a top choice for everyday wear (or for the American metrosexual guy without a special occasion), and is probably too overwhelming for hot and humid weather.

Try it if you feel like something different than what's being designed at the moment. You won't regret it; it's complex, compelling, and very "manly." Also, the "Grandpa smell" really does go away after a few moments. Fear not, young ones.

telegramrome's avatar
    telegramrome

Millésime Impérial by Creed

GORGEOUS.

Fresh, citrusy, melon top and that unmistakable Creed "something" in middle and drydown. On my skin, it didn't finish powdery (thank gosh, most Creeds do), but instead mellowed to a pleasant and compelling fragrance that recieved several "you smell great" comments throughout its day of wear. A crowd pleaser, friend of everyone, and an impressively fine-crafted unisex, albeit not as dashing or daring as other Creed fragrances.

A must-have for the modern, clean-cut, sophisticated professional (male or female, as it truly does smell beautiful on both). Add it to your repertoire and wear it for daytime, nightime, or if you're seeking a safe, non-offending, but high class cologne.

Blue Jeans by Versace

this is probably my favorite scent next to escada magnetism right now. not only is it inexpensive, but it tends to last a very long time. great silage (don't overdo it!). a very sweet scent (which tend to be my favorites). goes on rich and gets a smooth, almost vanilla scent upon dry down. a super versatile scent. can be worn by both young and old. highly recommended over curve in terms of great bargain fragrances.

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

i actually enjoy this version of hugo more so than the original. it's a dark & sweet scent. strong, yet isn't overbearing or cloying. really reminds me alot of gucci por homme II, but just a hint sweeter. i really love this stuff. i'd rank this one next to hugo bottled and selection as the best boss has to offer.

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

this is a very clean woody & floral scent. probably my favorite in the boss line along side dark blue and boss bottled. as many have stated, it does smell like a toned down del mar, but i actually prefer this one to that, as selection's dry down makes it versatile enough to be used in both formal and day to day affairs, whereas del mar is a little too formal. pretty decent silage. recommended if you've just started wearing colognes and want something safe.

abc1234's avatar
    abc1234

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I bought a big bottle based on all the rave review here. It is not bad but nothing extraordinary. Very clean smell, so much so it smells EXACTLY like a common bar of soap or laundry detergent! No complexity, no change what so ever. Very disappointed.

abc1234's avatar
    abc1234

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I am a little surprise to see so many praise from GUYS. This smells more feminine than most of female fragrance! It is extremely sweet, but not just that. It is the kind of sweetness that makes me doubt this is a male fragrance. It smells sooooo flowery, cloy sweet, feminine I can think of wearing it in public.

I bought a bottle blind. Two sprays. Thast's it! selling it now ...

02 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 January, 2009)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

There are clearly people here with more advanced noses than mine, but I would like to add that the cedar smell in this is definitely smokey and burnt (in a good way) - it's not cedar chips in a closet, it's cedar chips smoking in a barbeque.

I bought this at the same time as the Commes Des Garcons Series 8 Lime, because, contrary to common sense, they smell amazing layered together. Honestly, I can't imagine wearing this by itself, but it works really well adding a smoky, woodsy layer to an amazing array of sweeter scents that I have. Try it with rose scents (I like Le Labo's Rose 31). I also use it to tone down Jo Malone's Pomegranite Noir and make it more masculine.

It was totally worth buying the whole bottle, and I find this to be one of my go-to scents.

Quelques Fleurs Royale by Houbigant

I really love this one. Yes, it's officially a womens' fragrance, but the rose and flowers are tempered with woods and musks, and the lasting note is a sweet, buttery amber. It's extremely sweet, but in a masculine way, largely thanks to the bergamot.

From their description:

• Fresh, sparkling top notes of Sicilian bergamot and grapefruit.
    • Heart notes of Egyptian jasmine, Moroccan rose, and Indian tuberose warmed by hints of white acacia honey.
    • Intense base notes of precious amber, sandalwood, orris, and white musks.

To me, this is a really intricate, evolving scent, the type of which normally goes over really well with the people on this site. Honestly, if this were a L'Artisan Parfumeur or a Commes des Garcons, this would have over a dozen reviews, but it seems to be languishing in its own obscurity at the moment...

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

I have to say I agree with everyone else who said that this absolutly doesn't smell a thing like cannabis (and I live in hippie-heaven Berkeley, so I should know...). Early, it smells to me like white roses and chocolate. Funny, the first day I wore this, quite a few hours after putting it on, a co-worker commented that I smelled like cupcakes. Sure enough, the rose was gone and all that was left was a creamy amber mixed with vanilla, the combination of which basically smelled like buttery white frosting. Unlike some of the other reviews I've seen on this site, I like scents that smell like food, so I like it...

mrcologneguy's avatar
    mrcologneguy

Cologne by Roger & Gallet

A bright, atomic, synthetic-smelling orange topnote. It dries down in a somewhat linear manner, though green herbal notes come up, along with a bit of musk. Surprisingly complex in the end, given the comes-on-strong top notes; maybe a touch of ambergris? Approximately four hours from beginning to end of middle notes; basenotes hang around for up to six hours. Very attractive packaging. Beautiful bottle. Apply sparingly; one of the only colognes my wife told me I was wearing too much of, and I generally limit application to two squirts at most. Most likely formulated as a spring and early summer fragrance, I find it works OK on chilly winter days, too. Avoid on sultry summer nights. It's unisex, but I'm guessing it's a little on the sweet side for a lot of men. It's a good mood-lifting fragrance for occasional use only.

jal's avatar
    jal

Burberry for Women by Burberry

Thi perfume seems to be invisible on me. I am now using it to spray in the bedroom. It doesn't last very long at all. I have taken to Lolita Lempicka instead--a scent you can actually smell.

Cool Water by Davidoff

My favorite cologne, end of story. It is very refreshing as it starts with lavender and orange blossom notes, then fades to a manly smelling musk/cedar scent. Definitely an "aqua" fragrance, top notch quality ingredients I might add. Be prepared to get a lot of compliments while wearing this cologne. The only problem I have with this cologne is the fact that it is very popular (seems that a lot of guys have good taste) and you may end up smelling like 5 other people in the same room.

This is my casual fragrance, I typically use darker, spicier scents for formal evenings (Creed anyone?), and that's what cool water works best for. All in all, one of the best scents ever.

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Kenzo Jungle is classified as an "oriental" fragrance. It is, for me at least, very rich when you first smell it and put it on. It has a sweet scent, and doesn't really develop all that much. It smells about the same throughout the day. It is a very odd fragrance, but basically it is rich, sweet, and a bit flowery. I thought it was women's cologne for a short time.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

This is certainly a classic fragrance. And yes, everyone has worn this at some point of time in their life. It is cheap, (one can pick it up at walmart for 5 or 6 bucks), but it has a very nice scent, and definitely doesn't remind me of Old Spice's cheap, "red zone" body sprays.

I love the vanilla, sweet scent to this, it's my favorite aspect. Just rub it onto your cheeks and you're good to go. It doesn't last all day, but for 5 bucks, it lasts longer than you might think.

An excellent fragrance if I do say so myself.

mrcologneguy's avatar
    mrcologneguy

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

It's true - varies substantially by batch. The sampler I tried in a store had a big citrus blast, with a woody drydown. Raves from people who smelled it on me. The bottle I received online has very litte citrus, and it's heavy on a woody/grassy middle. Not entirely unpleasant, but not what I really wanted. I have a feeling that the bottle I received online is old. I'd recommend buying only in a store, and only if you can test the actual bottle you're buying.

Update January 2011: That stated, if you get a nice, fresh bottle of Neroli Sauvage, you're in for a huge treat. I own two bottles now, one for travel, one for liberal use at home, and oh my, this is mighty fine stuff. A fresh bottle of NS has a beautifully creamy lemon quality. Lemon custard to me. That, combined with the smooth, woody drydown, makes it an irresistable pleasure. I get lots of compliments while wearing it. True, it is fairly short-lived. But that's not really a problem. Use it when you don't want strong longevity, or just happlily reapply. Neroli Sauvage has become one of my all-time, go-to favorites.

02 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2011)

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The second I smelled Fou D'Absinthe at the store, I know I'd never smelled anything like it and bought a bottle immediately.

It kicks off with a bright green, almost alcoholic smell mixing mint, fennel, anise, and licorice (those are just the notes I can pick out - it's a very dense, unique, and intoxicating mix). On me, the heart basically smells like sweaty body odor, and is actually quite nasty. Then, the base is a subtle pine tar that smells like really sweaty, slightly piney leather, the way it mixes with the sweaty heart note.

This has led me into a bit of a difficult relationship with Fou D'Absinthe. Those topnotes are absolutely brilliant - some of the best in the business - but that heart of pure sweat (it's not just sweat, it's the especially horrible alcohol-soaked sweat of a really filthy drunk) is a serious challenge for me to wear comfortably. I'd never wear this to work or on a date or anything, but it has an avant garde charm that makes me still insist on giving it a thumbs up.

02 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2012)