Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Zizan by Ormonde Jayne

I think this is a poor showing from Ormonde Jayne. Nothing outstanding which I expect. This has a similar quality to Rochas Lui with a peppery citrus and cedarwoods. Sometimes it goes into a fruity cedarwoods. Ormonde Man and Isfarkand were very good fragrances but Zizan just doesn't cut it.

terry81's avatar

Singapore Singapore

212 Men Splash (2008) by Carolina Herrera

the moment i see the word 'splash' i know this will be a clear, fresh, marine scent. yes it is. i like it but the fragrance doesnt stay long.

Asha's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum

On first application from a dabber sample, I smell what seems to be strongly chemical leather tanning compounds. This type of leather scent is very refined, and has a sort of "new car" edge to it. Mingling quietly with the leather are light florals, some powder, and hints of manure, hay and antiseptic (castoreum) which gives a horse stable quality to the leather. Also lurking below the surface is some smoke which smells like tarry, plastic resin. It is not unpleasant like some fragrances that smell like burning plastic, but this is probably the birch tar note which gives a slight petrochemical slant to the leather. I am pretty sure there are some aldehydes also, as I smell some very faint soapyness. By far, though, the smoky tar note is the most prominent, and separates CdR from the more castoreum-heavy leather scents which are evocative of leather horse tack and saddles. Despite the barnyard quality of the castoreum, the birch tar makes the fragrance seem more industrialized, such as the smell of a freshly made pair of gentleman's boots or fine ladies' gloves.

The florals take on more of a supporting role in this fragrance in the beginning and middle stages. I am almost sure there is some iris in CdR, as there is a faint powder note which increases through the development. There is also a urinous note that becomes more intense. It seems to be very much a part of the leather, but could also be a sharp, indolic floral such as jasmine. As the parfum unfolds slowly during the middle stage, I also notice a creamy and spicy wood accord that reminds me of a similar accord in Bois des Iles or Egoiste. It is not a particularly recognizable wood, but is soft and warm, somewhat like sandalwood mixed with subtle amounts of cinnamon.

In the drydown, the floral and powder become much stronger, and the leather is mostly faded. The soft and spicy wood persists also, but the powder is the main note. Although there is really no overt leather note at this point, the floral and powder continue to evoke the memory of leather. The sharp white floral note seems most instrumental in maintaining the leather sensibility--it has been present throughout the whole development of the fragrance, and has morphed in character depending on the varying contexts of the other notes. In the drydown, the floral note is considerably softer, having lost much of its urinous edge. In the late drydown, CdR is mostly sweet vanilla, powder and perhaps a sweet musk, with a whisper of the floral and creamy wood notes still remaining. The leather is completely gone at this stage, about 4 hours after application.

With a fragrance like this, I fail to understand why Chanel tries to limit distribution. There is nothing particularly dated nor any age/gender limitations. CdR is a beautiful, classic, well-composed scent that seems appropriate for any age, man or woman, and probably any occasion, too. I am not a leather fragrance collector, but I think if I could only have one leather fragrance in my collection, CdR would be it.

Jasper's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Burberry for Women by Burberry

Another headache inducing fragrance for me. It seem to be a popular choice around here in Asia, so I give it a try. Bad pick for a Sunday night testing as I gotta work tomorrow and right now I feel so dizzy. The opening of heady, sickly sweet notes hit me like a ton of bricks. Then comes something green and bitter, so bitter I still can feel it in my mouth. I don't recall if I have smelled this on a person. It's just not for me.

journeyman's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Good Lord! ..
    I have recently become interested in formulating a collection / rotation based on almost entirely 'classic' frags.
    'Classic' in this case meaning, relatively long-established fragrnaces, but which i can still purchase today - i.e. have stood the test of time, and continue to do so.
    OK, scene set.
    I got myself a 30ml bottle of GF. (why cannot more juices come in 30ml sizes? - perfect for a collection!).

At first sample (wrist / forearm) I was disappointed.
    The legendary 'strength' was not there, nor was I overwhelmed by what I could smell.
    OK, violets - yes, cut grass, yes - something almond-like too, and a 'carnation' vibe that is not noted in the pyramid.

I got distracted by a phone call, which went on for longer than expected, and while this was going on, I became aware of a strong, and beautiful perfume 'in the room'. The crazy thing was, I genuinely didnt get what it was.
    I soon realised it was the Grey Flannel. What a transformation :)
    Floral, green, 'almondy' , soapy and enveloping.
    I can entirely detect the suggestion that there is a Fahrenheit similarity. i dont know why, I cannot explain either.
    This similarity , however is *not* on the skin - its in the sillage. GF leaves different sillage to what can be detected upon the skin to my nose. Both 'skin' and sillage notes are beautiful (after 30 + mins or more) but they differ. Now, thats a nice - and relatively rare- surprise...

And, it certainly has sooome sillage!

It occurs to me that , in looking at this classic frag, I see a 'cultural parallel' at play - in so much as that it takes a bit of patience, and a decent attention span, and (sadly) thats not of the age that this fragrance came from.

For the reviewers (and community posts) where folks have said that they wanted to wash it off 'straight away' - well OK, fair enough, but I wonder if it is their their loss - for having a Nintendo generation attention span maybe ? :)
    I would compare the 'ride' to that of Eau Sauvage. - nothing especially in common, especially sillage-wise, but 'similarity' in so much as: some will tell you that ES is a Citrussy frag, and after a short time goes nowhere. ES is Citrussy, for 45 mins. Then the herbal/mossy magic begins (and citrus still)

GF does the same - with violets & citrus > herbal / mossy magic.
    Give this a try, and give it at least 45 mins.

It is still evolving as I write this.
    Beautifully.

tanto's avatar

Pheromone by Marilyn Miglin

This is a fragrance for women like no other. My wife has worn Pheromone for approx 30 years and YES, people still ask her what it is. This is in a category of its own. It is pleasant and sexy at the same time. Once it has settled on the skin, it turns out to be a fragrance that is indescribable......like no other. There are "green" notes to it with some mild spice that is not "cloying" by any means. It's clean smelling but not "soapy". It would actually require many pages in order to fully describe Pheromone correctly. I will say this, like Chanel No5, Pheromone for women is also in a class by itself. Timeless !!!

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Santos by Cartier

very strong that is awful .... i sprayed a little on my hand and i could not wait for long to wash it off ....

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

This is not bad bad scent,it is pleasent,with a nice clean just out of the bath smell.But it just doesn't impress me a great deal..I like the vanilla...and flowery notes,but it just doesn't make me want to buy another bottle,quite simply,I like stronger scents...maybe like Cerruti Si.I'll give this a neutral...because it isn't horrible....just a bit plain.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

A nice smelling fragrance,with a major flaw in longetivity...It is really nice to smell...but I want to smell it longer.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Nice...when I smell this I think it smells brilliant,but I never get any other feedback when I wear this,as opposed to other scents I have worn...so it is a bit of a let down in that respect.It is fresh,clean,and very long lasting,and quite distinctive,and I like it...so....thumbs up.

18th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2009)

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

There is lots of comments along the lines of it being feminine...I have to disagree...if a lass was wearing this..I wouldn't be impressed at all.But on a lad..well...me...it smells almost like cinder toffee,but not over sweet,that would make it a perfume.It is quite unusual,and distinctive,which I like.If you wear this you are wearing a scent that can be recognised,rather like the Joop's and Issy Miyakes of this world.It's quite strong...so don't over do it,and it lasts a long time.It's not my favourite smelly,but I'll wear this to stand out.I haven't had much in the way of compliments wearing this...but no negatives either...borrow a friends,or get a sample spray...and make up your own minds...but I will get another bottle.

charger's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Clean, fresh, citrusy, this will always be a favorite. I love the soapy (in a good way) fresh out of a shower feeling.

Bartlebooth's avatar

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

This tries very hard not to stand out, and in that it succeeds wonderfully. The opening is fresh and lively with a strong citrus accord, but barely evolves at all when it dries down. I could easily achieve similar levels of complexity using a high street shower gel. Pretty bland and uninspiring

AMB13's avatar

Tuberose by Jo Malone

I love this scent the best of all the Jo Malone fragrances I wear. It layers well with French Lime Blossom for those more casual times. By itself It's elegant and feminine without being too girly and I can wear it to work without fearing I'll frighten the men (I work with a lot of engineers and scientists). I know some feel tuberose smells old ladyish. I feel that way about Chanel No. 5. Old Lady is in the nose of the beholder I guess.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

No. 22 by Chanel

I've now tried No. 22 in pure parfum and edt. The parfum was beautiful, more subtle incence, softer, and a little powdery on me. But the edt....It had me at the aldehydes. Then, 10 hours of incense. 10 hours!!! I was giddy, like I couldn't wait to get home and write about it. I tried to fight the emotion, tried to tell myself that I've only worn it once, that I need time to let the relationship develop, time to see if it is a passing fancy or if 22 really is right for me. But I've given in. I'm not going to fight it anymore. I...I've never felt this way about a fragrance before.... : )

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

Addict. I keep hearing that this one bears more than a passing resemblance to Hypnotic Poison, which I LOVE. But it doesn't, not to my nose, or my husband's. He is not okay with this scent at all. This would be my first scrubber, but I'm wearing it through for educational purposes. It started out questionably musky and kind of medicinal. No orange blossom here! I started to get this back of the head head-ache, which graciously has subsided now. Two hours in, that notoriously heavy vanilla rears its head, with a little sandalwood in the background. Wait a sec, I usually like both of these scents! What's up with this? So I pondered it some, and have come to the conclusion that I like vanilla and sandalwood tempered, in an ensemble rather than the leading roles. They're too sharp, sweet, and in my nez when left to their own devices.
    There are, as I'm learning, different kinds of sweet; gourmand and gourmand/oriental are pretty broad terms. Addict isn't sweet like Angel. Definitely not Pink Sugar sweet. I link Addict's sweetness closest to Lolita Lempicka, not because of the notes, but because of the kind of sweetness I perceive(no offense to LL, which is one of my very favorites and wears much better on me.)
    Hypnotic Poison it is NOT.

Aredore's avatar

Forever by Alfred Sung

Found a sample vial of "Forever" in my Jewelry box. Amazing what you find when you look.

The opening smells crisp. tart and very green - so the color of the juice is appropriate - with an earthy spicyness in it. I can a lot of florals, a faint bit of plum and don't know what "tayberry" is, but I'm going to assume it's the tarty thing I'm smelling - unless that the mixture of sandalwood and muget. I'm going to also assume that "damask" rose means "rose-scented linens" or something like that, because it's not a pure rose - the scent is a lot "fresher" and reminds of a clean house. The Freesia scent is very very strong, and I've never been much of a freesia fan - so unless it fades into the other scents, that could kill it for me.

About 20 minutes in I can smell the perfume mellowing - the freesia isn't as strong but I've decided that the bitterness must be coming in part from the muget - and I don't like it much.

I'm giving this a "neutral" because the scent is pretty but it's too bitter/tart/sour for me but I'm going to attribute that to chemistry and taste. Fans of Freesia and Narcissus should definitely give it a whirl.

Aredore's avatar

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

I got a whole pack of mini "love" perfumes from my aunt, who had been a teenage girl during the height of it's popularity, when I was about 12. From the way she fawned over it, I could tell she had been a fan. I wasn't quite so enthused. I think my upbringing ruined me for these - my mother patronized Chanel and Geurlain and I grew up in a fog of No. 5 and Champs-Elysses. "Baby soft" is certainly pleasant enough but even in the seventh grade thought It smelled basically of the baby powder my Dad put in his socks.

I still have some of these samples, but I don't often wear them. I use them mostly to freshen up my bathroom - which smells great. :)

abc1234's avatar

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

I am not a sweet/citrus sour type a guy. But Carven Homme does something right that makes feel really happy when I smell it. It is sweet, but not at all cloy and overwhelming. The type of sweetness is neutral, uplifting, subdued, formal, classy. I can't imagine how they can make such good fragrance.

It's a keeper!

abc1234's avatar

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

bother of the King ( VCA PH ). It is equally marvelous.

I think the two are in the same type of smell, while Tsar has a tad more fruity and freshness hint while less soapy. It lasts a little shorter than VCA PH.

Royal !!!

Two Thumbs Up!

Scentaur's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I never had a cologne that got so many compliments this fast, until I bought Armani Code. Honestly, I can't figure how they came up with a scent that just pleases girls... I mean, that's pure science.

Absolute thumbs up!

MissKelleyT's avatar

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

I purchased this scent back in my tween days, at the insistence of an eager, helpful young female clerk. She gushed about how much she enjoyed it and made it a part of her personal collection. This was around Christmas time and my mother offered to foot the bill for this one, so I bit... and regretted it as soon as I got home and dabbed some on.

It may have very well just been my body chemistry, or the fact that at the time I was a whippersnapper who had little to no actual appreciation to perfume, let alone the adage, ''less is more.''

This is a very musky scent whenever I wear it; just a touch too masculine in my opinion. It's been a while since I last tested it, but if memory serves, Ms. Taylor's ''Passion'' and I just don't get along.

MissKelleyT's avatar

At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume

I really wanted to enjoy and appreciate this scent! Honest and for true!

The top notes are wonderful, very much like hanging out in a marina or on the shore. The only hitch I found was that after a while, somewhere between the middle and base notes, at least on yours truly, it switches from the smell of crashing surf and sunshine on the sand to that of pure human perspiration. To be totally truthful and blunt, it just smelled like body odor. I made the mistake of wearing this to work the first day I had it in my possession and had had to keep reapplying throughout my shift in order to keep the "BO" at bay.

Sorry, CB!

Loro's avatar

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

First up I should confess that with the odd exception (Lys Mediterranee comes to mind) I am not a fan of full-blown florals, so clearly this was never going to be the scent for me.... but I find this almost unbearably strident, especially in the first half-hour - tropically bright with potent melon overtones. An hour later and the jasmine and honeysuckle start to come through (although still with a hint of melon) but there onwards I find it strangely linear and flat - nothing draws me to keep smelling at my wrist. It reminds me of one of those huge cocktails, complete with paper umbrella and plastic flower, that a girl in the Eighties would have sipped by the pool - sweeter than she'd bargained for and probably destined to bring on a headache. Having read the other reviews, I'd be interested to smell this on someone else - maybe I'm one of the unlucky ones this simply doesn't suit!

Loro's avatar

Tocade by Rochas

I am not usually a fan of rose as a dominant note in perfume so was not expecting to fall for this in a big way, but fall I have. It opens with a citrus (bergamot?) sparkle that gives a lightness of touch and ensure there is none of the head-achey heaviness I can frequently perceive in rose fragrances. When the rose does start to come through it is tempered by a lovely, milky warmth from the vanilla, which adds softness without any hint of sweetness. A perfect winter comfort perfume, which for some reason I 'see' as the palest, marshmallow pink.

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

when someone puts a comment about perfume a begin smelling that,and i put miself into your word,yeapo i like that parfume also,especialy for night.i love the orange blosom-in our country it says flori de portocal-and in spring time it smells like u are in heaven!!i love spring time and i love orange blossom smell.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

personally it doesn't suit me.but in the shop it smells good.on my skin unfortunately it smells awful

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

i like sweet parfumes and i think this is one of my favourites because it is sweet but also is good for day .i am much of an oriental tipe,but this is the only one with the fresh - sweet notes of apples that i like.

LEWheir's avatar

Enjoy by Jean Patou

I consider this my signature scent. The first 1-2 minutes the fragrance is almost cloyingly sweet, but the base notes are gorgeous, subtle and lasts all day. It's a great everyday perfume for me, and I get tons of compliments from both men and women when I wear it. However, I've heard it reacts very different on different people (my friend tried it when she was visiting and had to scrub it off after a few minutes. It smelled like mildewed cedar on her), so I would definitely sample it on yourself before purchasing a bottle.

LEWheir's avatar

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

This reminds me of the Victoria Secret's Sexy Dare body spray I got for Christmas. It was VERY fruity on my skin. I thought it was okay when I smelled it at the fragrance counter, but once I sprayed it on, all I could smell was orange juice.