Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

LEWheir's avatar

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

This is a beautiful, unique scent and my absolute favorite of the Bond No. 9 line. The opening is a fruity floral that dries down to hints of pink pepper. However, I'm giving it a nuetral because the lasting power is so poor! As much as I love it, I've held off buying a bottle because the fragrance only lasts an hour at most on me.

expat98's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

LOL, I can't believe this won the Best Fragrance for Men in the 2008 Basenotes awards! I recently found this site, and yesterday I made a list of fragrances to try based on the award winners. So I went to the Hermes shop this morning and decided to check this one out. It smelled good on the test paper, and also had an interesting citrus smell on my skin at first. Maybe 20 minutes after I sprayed it on I was sitting at a dining table waiting for my lunch to arrive with my chin propped up on one hand. I soon found myself thinking, "I smell insect repellant." I had to laugh when I remembered that I had sprayed on the Terre d'Hermes and realized that's what I was smelling! In my view, "expensive insect repellant" really is the best way to describe this fragrance. The color even matches!

817flowers's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I loved it. Bought it for my husband and love when he wears it. You can smell the (angel) in it. If he didn't like it I was going to wear it. A very unique scent.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Diorella by Christian Dior

This is a great fragrance for a women who doesn't want strong florals, but wants citrus and sweetness. It is as John Fletcher said in the wonderful movie "Double Harness" it is, "cooly virginal yet alluring." I love it and think that a woman who wears this with style and panache has got to be noticed, and more than that take seriously, if not taken to dinner. Atmospheric, brilliant and subtle, Diorella is one of the best woman's fragrances available. Speaking as one who admires this from the boy's side of the fence, ladies, if you don't want roses or lilacs, go try this. And rent the movie, "Double Harness"- - it is one of the greats from the early thirties. Diorella makes me think of the brilliant and wonderful Ann Harding. No one in Hollywood today, except maybe Diane Lane, comes close.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia

This commentary is written based upon a side by side wearing of Teatro Alla Scala and Coco edp - to which it has been compared.

Before spritzing, I took a preliminary whiff of each perfume's sprayer. The similarities are immediate, although not identical.
    One squirt of each, and we're off! TAS instantly comes across with a bold rose note. A much stronger rose than is in the Coco. It also seems to possess a considerably less spicy character overall. I would say the floral blend of TAS is resonating at a slightly lower pitch. As I switch back to smell the Coco, I'm struck by a clearer, crisp floral blend, and there is orange blossom quite evident. Lactonic and 'bright'. The Coco is also noteably spicier. TAS loses it's assortment of flowers, except the rose. It is predominant, and lovely. The major difference between the two is TAS's inclusion of civet. I own, and adore, the civet rich vintage formulation of Shocking. There is plenty of civet in TAS, and I would say it is even more comparable to vintage Shocking than the Coco - overall!

In conclusion, I would classify Teatro Alla Scala as a civet rich floral built upon a chypre base. The Coco is clearly an oriental. Funny though that I love Coco & vintage Shocking. Now I'll add Krizia's TAS to my list of wonderful & wearable fragrances! Thumbs up.

19 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

zztopp's avatar

Blue Jeans by Versace

An odd one in the "young and hip" Versace Jeans line, apart from the "railway-track worker sweat in a juniper forest" cool of Black Jeans. Blue Jeans (BJ - an aromatic fougere) is a strange combination of a standard crowd pleasing "sweet" note with a surprisingly decent construction operating underneath.

Make no mistake, the first thing that hits you when you spray BJ is a massive blast of sweet....sweet violets, and something floral. The "citrus cocktail" which contains a nice lime note, isn't perceptible unless you try to seek it out within seconds of spraying because the violet+jasmine heart that powers BJ is out in full force from the get go. This potent core is made is slightly unusual by a balsamic & sweet juniper note. This accord persists for atleast 30 mins before the latent complexity comes through...unfortunately many will give up on BJ after experiencing this shrieking, Regis Philbin-like persistent drill. Those who persevere will notice a smooth spicy woods sub-accord bubbling under this violet-juniper forest. The salty-spicy nutmeg links with cedar to conjure a woodsy note, and the lavender, previously so overwhelmed by the ionone-attack of violets, makes its quiet presence felt. Hours later the woody-floral accord blends into a base of musk with faint remnants of Willy Wonkas' bespoke scent ..

BJs sweet, woodsy accord is probably the result of a very successful focus-group study because many women dig it .. that fragrance enthusiasts can unearth a fairly competent structure underneath indicates that BJ succeeds on another level as well. However, I feel that there may be too many caveats to "enjoy" BJ.. the sweetish willy wonka accord is especially loud in warm weather, and a deft hand is required to let BJs subtle construction unravel. For a fragrance named "Jeans", its not exactly something you can slip into..

Rating: 6.75/10.0

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I was given Black XS as a gift so I went out to try it to see if I would keep it or change it. My candid reaction? "WTF!!!!!"
    Is this a joke? What praline? Pure bubblegum. This is liquefied bad taste. Rushed home to wash it off. DO NOT BLIND BYE!

rodent's avatar

France France

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

A really remarkable scent which -- like Acqua di Gio, another of Monsieur Cavallier's creations -- thoroughly deserves its success based purely on its own merits (OK, you can shoot me now). Consider the following:

- It is a citrus, yet it lasts forever (much like Boucheron PH). And this isn't a case of being able to last by standing on a non-citrusy drydown -- the drydown holds down its lemony anchor until its last dying breath. In warm / moderate weather it lasts upwards of 8 hours on me with a few very abbreviated sprays, and in cold weather, well north of 12 hours.

- It's a citrus that's different from all other citrii due to very distinct floral elements that make themselves known fairly quickly. So don't pay any attention to people that say that this is a citrus like any other -- it isn't. You will not confuse l'eau d'Issey for anything else. It's quirky, distinctive and imaginative. As a result, 15 years after its launch, it still smells thoroughly contemporary and sophisticated.

- The citrus smells rich and intensely natural... again, like Boucheron PH's. This is not the liquid carbon dioxide mojito that far too many modern aquatics smell like.

Smells great, smells fundamentally unlike anything else, and lasts forever. What more could one possibly want of a great scent? And why would one deprive oneself of the opportunity to wear it because "it's too popular"? Life's too short, my friends. An enduring classic -- and a classic for a reason.

Oldfactory's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Apres L'Ondee is indeed melancholy for this simple reason: it is a heartbreaking truth that things of great beauty last only a moment. I would say it's ephemeral, but that would suggest Apres L'Ondee lasts a day, which it does not. On my skin, the EDT lasts no more than an hour, on fabric a bit longer. Too bad the parfum is impossible to find. Not sure if it's even in production anymore. If you want your Guerlain to last, try L'Heure Bleu parfum. There's some heliotropin too, and it wears like iron.

Galleddrim's avatar

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

At first this hits me with a peppery-sweet accord that immediately reminds me of the best of the Axe body sprays. Better than that, of course, but that's what it brought to mind.

But then just a few seconds later it settles down on my skin and . . . YUM! Amber, cedar, spice, and leather. Those aren't the listed notes here, but that's what I smell. Has just the right amount of bitter to balance the sweetness. This stuff is amazing. Love it.

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

Very (very) similar to L'eau D' Issey Pour Homme.
    Not identical, but could quite easily be mistaken. Dry down is not so spectacular, but remains similar.
    A little less intense, and lightly less sweet/musky, and therefore a tad less potential to overapply - but overall a very similar effect.
    Maybe .. all in all - not a bad thing.
    Issey 'light'.?!

I really liked it.

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

Truly repulsive opening.
    overpowering Cardamom spice. Smells too much like a savory cooking spice
    Drydown is a little more floral, and less foul, but unspectacular.
    Few things make me fee sickky - this did.

West Indian Limes by Truefitt & Hill

Lovely fragrange

Razor sharp Lime - a Citrus explosion - which does last on my skin, melding into a dry Petitgrain, an then a warmer Neroli and slighly spicy finish.

Its 'old-school, but oddly still modern smelling.
    You would need to like limes. Its not a 'hint' of lime .. it is veeery Lime
    I'll be keeping this one for the Summer - for sure

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill

Coolwater done right. GIT done slightly differently. There is no doubt these three have some common ground, or inspiration. I'm aware that Freshman has been reformulated, so which came first i wonder.

Others have said it all - its a less synthetic Coolwater
    I recieved a T&H sample pack, and the Freshman notes are:

Bergamot, Lemon, Orange Blossom, Mint, Coriander, Rosemary
    Clary Sage, Gerainium, Lilly of the Valley
    Precious Woods, Amber, Moss, Musk

Well .. guess what that's gonna smell like .. ;)

Fine stuff.
    Folks will probably think you are wearing Coolwater though . .but ..;)

Tony T's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

I BOUGHT IT MONTHS AGO AND SELDOMLY USE IT. IT SEEMS MORE APPROPIATE FOR ROMANTIC ENCOUNTERS AND COOLER WEATHER. THE COCOA NOTE DOES WONDERS BUT NOT THATGREAT OF A SCENT FOR REGULAR ROTATION. still i enjoy it sparingly!!

19 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st June, 2010)

tanto's avatar

Ma Griffe by Carven

To me, this scent reminds me of my mom's friend who back in the late 50's was a model for Dior. She was a lovely woman and every time she came from France to visit, she would bring my mom a bottle of Diorling and Ma Griffe. My mom wore Me Griffe all of the time. I remember it to be a very pleasing, clean kind of a scent and never "over bearing". Things were different back then and I am sure that Ma Griffe has been changed from its original formulation.

Magie Noire by Lancôme

Smells old and frumpy and soapy. No.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Opens with vinyl/rubber, swiftly settles into vanilla, and finally a vanilla-tinged musk that is slightly baby powder-ish. I don't find this 'edgy' or as complex at all, save for that fleeting bike tire opening. I think some people are being swayed by the name and presentation -- otherwise it's a unisex vanilla with a bit of a twist. That said, it is very wearable, and I wouldn't mind a small bottle.

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I don't get leather or honey or any distinct florals out of Kelly Caleche, but I did get a remarkable bright, vegetal heart -- almost green, but rounded. Unsurprisingly, I also smell this -- whatever it is, accord or not -- in the Jardin series, especially Méditerranée and Mousson (which, looking back, now smells like a concoction made of Kelly Caleche + Sur le Nil's earth notes + melon).

To me, Kelly Caleche also smells remarkably like a non-powdery Chanel no. 19. Not the same notes, but a similar quality of brightness and unsweetened florals.

Paco Sweet's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Incredible fragance !!

Simply great !!

operabuff's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Well, I was quite eager to sample this latest scent from my favorite house. Upon arriving at the counter in Saks, I immediately asked for the tester bottle. My eagerness soon turned to disappointment. An exceptional disappointment over a quite ordinary scent. I debated with myself and almost bought a bottle anyway to add to my Guerlain collection, but in the end I did not. Life goes on.

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I read so much about it, so many good things that I went out of my way to buy a bottle.
    I got the phone call that it arrived, I went to the store and pick it up. Once I got home I smell it and .. what? I barely smell anything. I sprayed on me and same, weak and weir, like a fragrance gone bad. I panic and returned back to the store. The SA called her manager.He smelled the fragrance and said it was in perfect condition but if I wanted I could returned. I did not.
    I was upset for the mistake and put it back on his box following some senior basenoters.The same day I reached to my beloved GIT bottle and got drunk on it to erase the sorrow of a very expensive blind purchase gone sour.
    A month later I reached again for that BdP bottle. I sprayed myself all over, I was in cloud of BdP. It was then when I hit me, when all the sudden everything made sense. I was wrapped in a aura of magic. Sublime.
    Woody, boozy , elegant, mature, luxurious, different , simply amazing.
    This one will be for ever in my wardrobe. I only use it for special occasions and every time I wear it I feel, just that, special. A gift from Creed. This is the ultimate gentlemen fragrance.

Adama's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

Easily the most comforting frag in my collection.

I was cautioned by other members on this forum that the Violet in Touch dominates, and it's true. I was worried when I first bought this that the Violet would be too feminine, however it is very warm and surprisingly masculine.

There's a certain amount of sweetness alongside the Violet, but it isn't prominent.

Unfortunately, Touch doesn't last too long nor does it project... however this isn't a problem if you don't mind reapplicating every few hours.

This smell is exactly what I want my sheets and clothes to smell like- it smells warm and inviting. Though not the most acknowledged scent in my collection by my girlfriend or her friends, this is one that I really enjoy on my own, and I recommend it.

EDIT: Since my review, I seem to have developed an adverse reaction towards Touch. There is something in it that causes me to gag when I use it... I've actually come quite close to throwing up at one point. I don't know what it is, however I find that I can no longer wear this stuff.

19 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2009)

azhdar's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

it smells actually like mixing of wet dog and cat pee!!!!!!1

DawnLady's avatar

Aimez-Moi by Caron

This reminds me so much of Guerlain's Apres L'Ondee - both are gentle and melancholic and haunting and beautiful. I usually don't like violet, but in these it is so well blended, and fits so well with the anise, that it works perfectly to create an aura of calm and tranquility. I can't say which I like best - the Guerlain is perhaps more refined and more melancholic, while Aimez Moi is slightly brighter and more optimistic and more floral - but both are masterpieces. Lovely.

semisweet411's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I purchased a decent sized decant of this based on all the overall reviews. I just had to try it out. I have given it several of chances, but I am getting the same thing each time...a decidedly menthol blast, followed by...nothing. It does not last on me for longer than an hour or two. I am starting to think I must have some kind of bizarre body chemistry. This could give me a complex!

Sterling Maiden's avatar

Omniscent 0.96 by Yosh

Intoxicating....in a good way. Love the way this smells on me.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

This had a rather unpleasant genesis on my parchmentesque skin,There was an obnoxious blend of Fruit Gums and body odour, but in fairness,this only lasted a brief time. When it dries down, it settles into a very languid stride, which is reminiscent of one the stages of Terre D'Hermes.It has longevity, decent sillage, and it is as smooth as a freshly buttered banister. Beautiful

pinkmimosa's avatar

Calypso Mimosa by Calypso Christiane Celle

Fizzy blossoms of mimosa. You'll want to bury your nose in it and daydream. No spice, no fruit, just a mimosa tree, and no responsibilities. One of my all time favorites. Very unusual and individualistic. Not like any other floral.

pinkmimosa's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

I got this because of these reviews, and I am so glad I did. I'll never give it up. Even the bad reviews make it seems sooo interesting, don't they? Well it's true, there is some weird stuff going on in it, but to me it's a perfect work of art. It's some kind of bright spice and a little bitterness. Surprized it's meant to be unisex, seems like really exotic females only would wear this. I'd never want my guy to wear this. It's pure tea party.