Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Live Luxe by Jennifer Lopez

I love Jlo, really, so I feel terrible leaving this review. The bottle is gorgeous - but whenever I try to wear this, because it was a gift from my sweetie and I feel obligated, I feel like I spilled apple juice on my clothes, and boy does it last. I actually feel ashamed of how I smell. It's not even my guy's style either, I can only guess it was on sale and that's why he got it for me. JLo I love you, I am so sorry.

Hypnôse by Lancôme

To me, it's like licorice and aftershave. Very sexy, different. Very bold on me, very lasting. Gorgeous bottle. Better than most perfumes but still not amongst my top ten faves.

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

I could guzzle this stuff, it's fantastic. It's sweet and tart, but almost chocolatey, too! I'm going to try Flowerbomb if this is a rip-off, thanks for the tip. I bought about five bottles of this and just spritz it on all the time.

raphael's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Slightly soapy, dry, floral without being sweet or feminine, bright but without the tang of citrus. A fine scent, very in-offensive with average sillage and below-average longevity. A staple in my wardrobe. The ladies love it. Highly recommend.

TheCOB's avatar

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

I absolutely love this fragrance. You can really smell the blend of orange and lemon mixed with the other leathery notes. It smells good from application right through the drydown, but the only problem - alas, the only reason this gets a 3/5 - is because of its abysmal longevity. The other reviews are true; this stuff lasts for about a half an hour to an hour.

expat98's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Hate it. This fragrance absolutely does not belong on a human.

I bought another perfume for a lady friend last week and was given a sample of this one with the purchase. I sniffed the bottle, and it seemed like it might be an interesting ladies perfume. I forgot about it until today when I noticed the vial lying on the table, and just for the heck of it, I sprayed it on my wrist.

Words that have been used to describe this frangrance in previous reviews include: cucumber....honeydew melon....marine...floral. That sounds nice, and I would agree with all those, but I would primarily describe it as sickly sweet almost to the point of being nauseating.

I was absolutely shocked to discover when I logged on here to give my review that this is considered to be a unisex fragrance. What kind of man would wear this?!? I don't think I'd want to be around a woman wearing this either - the sweetness is just too overpowering, and that's from a single spray.

After about 3 hours I had to go and scrub this off my wrist. Just couldn't stand the smell any more.

emmapeeldallas's avatar

Rosewood by Banana Republic

I like the scent, but what about the badly designed bottle? I bought the spray, and was unable to use at least a fourth of the bottle, because the bottom is domed and the tube doesn't reach into the corners! I liked the scent but B-R needs to redesign this bottle!

GourmandHomme's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I did think of it as smelling like "Very Expensive Soap", but since I smiled when I smelled this - I bought it. Wore it all day yesterday - lovely all the way from top to base.

There's the Homme version but I much prefer this one. My beef with the Homme version is that the Homme is a half-hearted effort at masculinizing it even though this one is perfectly lovely in itself as a unisex.

Seraphima's avatar

Latvia Latvia

Just Me by Paris Hilton

This perfume is just so good! I love it! It has a spicy note with some fresh ones.

Rococo by Joop!

This is such a nice scent. It's not too strong, and the heliotrope notes are definitely present on me. I agree with Ken's statement about the perfume being like a pale, vintage pink. That was the first color to spring to mind when I put this perfume on.

The name "Rococo" definitely fits this fragrance perfectly.

Molinard de Molinard by Molinard

Ever have one of those acquaintances who, in the first hour or so you're around them, are kind of moody and antisocial, but then they warm up and everything's fine? But, even though it all turns out fine in the end, you're still not sure how you should feel about them?

That's this perfume. When I first put it on, it's pretty strongly floral on me, like the kind of overpowering floral perfume your first grade teacher wore.

But, I find that an hour or two later, the woody/spicy notes show up, and I start really liking how I smell. However, I can't help but wish that they'd scaled back on the florals a little, because the first hour or so of this perfume is nigh-unbearable for me.

Paperback by Demeter Fragrance Library

I used to have this perfume, but unfortunately, it was lost. It does have a pulpy, dusty smell, but also a sweet smell. Something like vanilla.

It wasn't a strong scent at all, it was very faint on me. The vanilla would fade out relatively quickly on my skin, and you'd just smell a hint of paper and ink.

The scent didn't last nearly as long on me as the other Pick Me Up spray I owned (Blue Hawaiian).

Paperback was a fun, interesting scent to wear, but I don't think I'll buy another.

L by Lolita Lempicka

I was pretty excited to try this one, so I procured a sample. The first thing I noticed was that it smelled a lot like Pink Sugar, which is a fragrance I already own. I would smell my skin periodically throughout the day, to see how the scent would change on me. In the end, though, I found it to be basically Pink Sugar, with a hint of orange. My husband liked it, and when I remarked on how similar it is to Pink Sugar, he said "that must be why, then. I do love Pink Sugar on you."

I'm giving it a thumbs up because it's a really good scent. In fact, if I didn't already own Pink Sugar, I'd probably buy it, because I like that extra hint of orange. But, as it is, it's way too similar to Pink Sugar for me to bother. I'm sure I'll use up that sample, though!

Belle en Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

I decided to get a sample of this one, after seeing that one of the notes was heliotrope. As far as scent goes, that is my favorite flower. I also rather like patchouli, when it's done right.

When I first sprayed it, I mostly smelled the vanilla and the mandarin, but it was (fortunately) not very sweet. The fragrance started out being pretty strong, but mellowed out within about half an hour. This allowed the heliotrope to come through more, which really made the perfume sing.

A couple of hours later, it has mellowed even more, and become fainter (but just as lovely). The heliotrope is still there, and is joined by the patchouli, which warms the scent up nicely.

I like this perfume a lot. It's not an everyday scent, but it's certainly lovely for going out on a chilly evening.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

I've never really liked Burberry before, but this one's a hit. It's sort of a "perky" scent. On my skin, the tea and pink pepper seemed to come through the most, which is what I was hoping for. It's not a particularly strong perfume, but that makes it good for "jeans and t-shirt" days, when I still want to wear a fragrance without feeling like a walking contradiction!

I can't really afford to buy full-sized bottles of the scents I like, so I pretty much live on samples. If I could afford just one full-sized perfume, though, it would definitely be this one. It's bright, and it's subtle enough that it would make a great "everyday" perfume.

riqueros's avatar

Le Muguet by Annick Goutal

Unlike any of the other Lily of the Valley fragrances that I have smelled, Le Muguet is by far one of the truest more natural smelling Lily of the Valley fragrance. True, the first notes of the fragrance have that intoxicating note of aldehydes that gives an almost weird first impression, but as soon as it dries down on your skin the notes of pure lily of the valley overcomes this. In fact, unlike synthetic fragrances that end up smelling like manufactured candy Le Muguet has the beautiful, classic and authentic scent as the little white bell-shaped flowers themselves. This fragrance is only for true lovers of Lily of the Valley.

crystal lover's avatar

AV by Adrienne Vittadini

Better as air freshener than perfume. Skip this one.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed is a wonderful scent for a man who is not particularly focused on fragrances. It is strong (at first), cool, and has a bit of carefree, charming nonchalance. It is iconic? Well, it's connection with Cary Grant might put it into that category, but then one never knows does one? What matters is that this is a green fragrance, for those who love green fragrances. A man who favors the manliness of vetiver, but wants a little more, should try this. Iconic? What a bore, who cares? It's only a fragrance, after all. Chill out with GIT.

19 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2011)

kewart's avatar

Omnia by Bulgari

I wear this scent a lot. It is incredibly versatile and easy to love.
    I consider it my "go to" fragrance of choice. The notes combine in
    the most delicious way and I get lots of compliments when I wear it.

stuigi's avatar

Winter Star by Michael Storer

A new, fresh, and quite potent masculine fragrance. I stated on the site that this could be the next "Le Male" if properly promoted and I stand by that statement. A perfect cool weather frag for men.

Firefly by Demeter Fragrance Library

A gentle breeze in the fresh night air, sweet green grass, moist earth, aaahhh one of the best smelling memories I have!

Scent by Theo Fennell

Rose and cumin. These are the only two detectable notes, as they overpower the others. Especially the rose. Ends up smelling like "sweaty rose". Sorry.

Indu Kush / Hindu Kush by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Quarry has written an absolutely fabulous commentary on Hindu Kush! For me, I get the initial blast of green - almost camphorous - which disappears almost as mysteriously as it came...yet somehow, it leaves a residual green that combines with dry woods and incense. Maybe because I'm sampling it during a 18 degree blustery winters' snow, it feels like the dry & cozy warmth of a small cabin whose only source of heat is a woodburner! I find this association quite charming. It's character reminds me somewhat of Juozas Statkevicius' fragrance, sans flowers. My personal preferences don't usually run in the direction of incense based fragrances, but I find myself intrigued and impressed!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

UR for Men by Usher

Wow, this is good...much like the original, but with a bright citrus vibe that stays throughout the scent life. I like the businessy, clean dress shirt and tie character of the original, this adds a lemon-lime twist, making it perhaps more summer or hotter weather variant. If you are a fan of citrus and you like the original, you sould really like this. Recommended for at least a try...in hot weather and for longer than a few minutes.

olfactorysatiation's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

I found this fragrance at the department store today while I was picking up some other things. Decided to purchase it on a whim and not employing the usual sprits sniff, let dry and sniff again. The frag seems kinda linear, as in it doesn't develop too much between the initial spritz and the dry down to the mid range notes. Still I like it, it reminds be a little bit of the the things that I love about their fragrances for men combined with White Pepper, which as a whole offers a really nice "dry" and "winter" feeling. I imagine it to be a great pick me up fragrance that a man could wear on a dreary winter day to lift his spirits. It has some lovely initial floral notes that linger in the background while the green and citrus notes wake up for a moment and then give way to a green, cedar, white pepper, and citrus that combines to form a lovely scent that makes me think of the first day when the snow starts to recede. Here in New York State that is a celebrated time. And such feelings are exactly what I think a fragrance should do, take you to a specific time and place in memory.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Very dry spicy oriental. As if you're sticking your nose in a bag of maroccan spices, cedar shavings, a stick of incense and fresh sand of the Mahgreb desert.

The funny thing is, I think the closest designer scent is Gucci PH (the one with the pencil shavings). L'Air has less pencil shavings, more spices, and better longevity. But the dryness and the theme of both scents are remarkebly similar.

I don't get the connection with Terre d'Hermes, which is waaay more citrussy than L'Air.

ahmedshawky's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

It is really, really quite puzzling how our tastes change/develop over time. Five years ago I hated M7 or at least I thought it is too feminine, medicinal, etc. Today, after testing hundreds of scents, M7 is easily amongst my top five. I thought nothing can outperform my beloved Antaeus in the colder weathers, but M7 recently did. Both are heavy quality orientals, but Antaeus is mainly great in the first 2 hours, whereas M7 improves the more it dries down. Also while Antaeus is a very refined/classy scent, it is not as sexy as M7. It is not easy to creat a scent sexier than M7. Although definitely a winter/fall scent, I wore it to crowded nightclubs where usually the temperatures get warm and surprisingly it was not cloying (attesting to this was the response from the girls in the club). One girl almost buried her head into my chest while dancing with me in order to take a deep whiff. It is potent, so do not exceed two sprays or it could really annoy you and annoy the others.

Noraed's avatar

Secret Wish by Anna Sui

It is a fresh, fuity, light, and citrusy scent.
    It also smells like peach.
    It is a Floral - Fruity type of perfume.
    It is interesting but not sophisticated.
    This perfume’s longevity might be disappointing.
    It smells similar to Chance Eau Fraîche by Chanel.
    Its nice smell and charming bottle makes it a good idea for a gift.

vintage*red's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I have waited with anticipation for my sample of this fragrance which has received rave reviews. I tore open my prized package, dabbed the precious liquid on my hand and...OLD SPICE...with amber. Sorry, folks, but I remember the Old Spice of yore and this is it! The drydown is prettier and more floral, but nowhere is the brightness of No 5 or the steely resolve of Cristalle. What a disappointment!

MADDSNIPER's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I had really high hopes for this but was sadly disappointed. It isnt a bad scent.... if you are over 60. To me it smells like something from an old persons home, def. not for someone in their 20s. I could never imagine being in a club and a girl telling me i smell good with this on.