Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

RubenC's avatar
    RubenC

Rocabar by Hermès

This fragrance is very pleasant to wear, not overpowering and very suitable for daily wear. The cinnamon and cedar top and mid notes rest smoothly over the vanilla base, giving a nice dry down with decent longevity.

Max1mu51's avatar
    Max1mu51

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

Irish Springs!!! This is a good thing, the only thing I think could be added is a shot of rich dark leather. The cologne in itself is very linear, however I tend to like it for something like this. Very clean, shower clean in fact. Lasts a good 4 hours and doesn't break away much at all. I like it.

archibald's avatar
    archibald

Rochas Lui by Rochas

When I read the notes and reviews I was ready to buy: My skin and my nose sure do love them some cedar, and there it was....twice. A fragrance with cedar on cedar! And who among us wouldn't hope that something called "bison grass" smells great? "Everything GpH wanted to be"? Perfect--over the years GpH has been my most consistently complimented fragrance. Picked Lui out of the perfumedcourt box the second it arrived and...man what a letdown: There is certainly a huge blast of dry cedar throughout, a nice cedar even, but it obliterates almost all of the other notes except maybe the sycamore which my nose is probably not sophisticated enough to pick out from the cedar. I get precious little neroli after 30 seconds, and worse, I still have no idea whether or not bison grass smells good or not. The vanilla and patchouli are present mainly in the form of an old lady's powder, sadly. I did get a nice compliment from a female colleague the day I wore it, but I suspect the rest of my sample will remain unused.

archibald's avatar
    archibald

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I completely agree with the negative reviews of Bond #9's decision to copy two of the most ubiquitous fragrances ever blended--as their house juice, lo less. But after separating Chez Bond, the dopey business decision from Chez Bond, the fragrance, I believe that it's clearly the best attempt of the three. The primary difference between CB, GIT and CW (as well as the main reason Chez bond works the best) is that Bond largely dispensed with the synthetic-smelling blue note that dominates Cool Water and lurks in the top and heart of GIT. True, Chez Bond's development is not as noticeable as GIT's but it's not as linear as CW either. CB's drydown is generally woodier than GIT's, another plus in my book, and the sandalwood itself is much, much better. To be sure, CB is not going to convert anyone who dislikes GIT and CW, but fans of those two frags could do worse than to give Chez Bond a shot when replacement time comes around.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I sprayed some of this on my arm and I smelled it all the way home. Potent in your face smell. I don't like the sweetness in this, theres too much. My sister used to have something that smelled like this. It also made me sneeze.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

I see alot of reviews comparing this to AdG. I think this smells exactly like Polo Black but with more of a floral note instead of the citrus. In all this just smells like a mixture of other colognes. I like aquatic scents so ill give this one a neutral.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Wow. Way too strong for me, it makes me sick. I can't get past the plastic/synthetic smell in this.

Estefana's avatar
    Estefana

Ralph Wild by Ralph Lauren

This is a non-impressive, sweet smelling fragrance that is fruity from start to finish. For someone who didn't want to have an overbearing scent, but still wished to smell good, this is a good choice.

ironmike's avatar
    ironmike

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Stunning fragrance, beauitful smell when it heats up, and everybody around you smells it and loves it!

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I first tried 212 this last summer. Trust me, Arizona is very hot and you have to be careful how/which frag you wear. Gourmand will make people flat out ill, spicy can give you head splitting headaches, and woody is better for winter. But the fresh/green/grassy/watery frags hold their ground in the heat.

This was incredible for the time I tried it. Not only was I having some of the best experiences of my life during that summer, this scent always reminds me of the good memories. Being out by the pool, listening to awesome music, and enjoying the vibrance of the summer sun.

About the fragrance; It's very open and "there". It say's its presence with freshness and sweetness. It has a strong green note that makes it a real marine scent. It's very casual, but enticing. I would probably wear this with jeans and a t-shirt, or just out to the beach in a swimsuit. It compliments nicely with the oils of your skin and last a VERY long time.

I tested it by just spraying one spray on the top of my hand. I by the end of the day I had washed my hands at least 10 times and could still smell 212 radiating towards my face. If that wasn't enough for you, I woke up the next morning and could smell it on my hand while in the shower!

If I had to compare this fragrance in similarity to another, I would say it smells very close to Jill Sander men. They are slightly different, but closely similar scents.

This is a must have. Don't be alarmed if you don't care for this stuff the first time you wear it. It grows on you over time and soon you'll love it and wonder how you ever went without it.

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

My father use to own Armani mania and I've gotta say, these 2 smell so alike, I almost don't know the difference.

I bought Ferrari black for cheap and wear it from time to time. It's not a favorite, but its gotten positive feedback from others around me. I use to know a girl that went crazy over it. She called it "spicy" and "daring".

I suppose I can agree. If you find this for a good deal, its another alternative to mania.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I wanted so badly to like this fragrance. It got such incredible feedback that I couldn't wait to try it. I went to the store and sprayed it on my wrist and my girlfriends to compare the chemistry and the ending result was the same. It was a complete disaster! I couldn't wear it for any longer than 2 hours. It made me sick.

To me this smells extremely similar to Burberry Touch and 212SexyMen. Both fragrances which I despise with a un-describable passion. They smell like fecal matter to me (honestly). When I smell this fragrance, it grosses me out and I just wanna dive in a pool of soapy water, pronto and begin scrubbing.

If you like the smell of burnt chocolate with a hint of baby diaper, I recommend this. If you like gourmand overload, this is for you.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

This fragrance might as well be a glass full of water. It's so light that it comes and goes like a player. It's like dripping a drop of water on a blazing hot skillet.

An old friend of mine raved about this scent, but none of us could ever smell it on him. It's a shame CK released this one without fixing it's lifespan. It lacks serious horsepower.

I don't recommend this one for people who spray frags on a card and then buys. You need to spray this on your skin and see if its for you. Don't be surprised if its gone in like an hour...

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I bought this fragrance without wearing it on my own skin. Bad bad idea. It smelled great on someone else I knew, but on me I had a unbearable headache with in minutes.

The dry down is so sharp it cuts through your skull like a knife. I think theirs to much alcohol in this scent to notice the other ingredients. Unfortunately, its another fragrance smothered by alcohol.

I wanted to like this one, but it didn't work out for me.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

The first time I smelt this cologne, it reminded me of something an older man would wear. Had that old school, spicy gasoline smell to it. I put the scent strip down and went on my way.

It wasn't until I was in Las Vegas at the Hermes store, that I changed my mind. I decided to test it on my skin and was extremely impressed. My girlfriend kept commenting on how much she loved it and that I should get it.

So I decided to get a sample to wear a few times to see how much I liked it over time. Sure enough, the more I wore it, the more I fell in love with this masterpiece.

I finally bought TDH for a great deal off the net and wear it on special occassions. This is my favorite scent that I own. It is also my gf's favorite. She goes nuts when I wear it. It's a very powerful masculine scent that goes a long way on my skin. It all depends on your skin type. If you have moisturized skin, you only need one of two sprays of this. If you have dry skin, you'll need more. I have never needed to reapply this scent.

This isn't a very personal scent IMO. I would say its quite out there as an expression when you wear it. People will know you are wearing something and hopefully they'll like it.

The best part of this fragrance is peoples initial reaction when they smell it in a store. They think, "old man" and move onto something else. The thing they don't know is how amazing it smells when its applied to skin.

I can't say enough about this fragrance. Truly a legend, and will always be in my collection.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is the one fragrance I could wear at any time and not wonder if it was a bad idea. It always smells good to me and my girlfriend loves it.

It's very sweet and clean. It almost smells like some sort of alcohol (not sure which one), but it does. Like a Pinot or something...

Anyways, the only downside to this frag, is the power. It definitely lacks power to project and last. It needs re-application through out the day/night. It's not something everyone around you will notice. Only the ones who are real close.

Aside from this, its on my top 5. If YSL creates a perfume based version of this, I would say its the best smell in the world, but to my disappointment, they haven't.

If you can get over it's lack of staying power, this is truly a work of art IMO. I absolutely love it!

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

I have got to say this is the most offensive fragrance I have ever smelt or worn. A guy I know did a big review on this stuff saying it was incredible, bla bla bla, and so I got pumped to try it.

Ashamed to say, it was absolutely revolting. I don't think its even worth the risk of trying and hoping others like it. I put it on and immediately felt disgusted, but kept it on for the dry down.

Two hours later and I was flat out SICK. This smelt like Armani code and Burberry Touch, only with more of a "crap" note. It honestly smells like fecal matter to me. Like a hot baby diaper simmering in the back seat of a car on a hot summer day. My girlfriend also didn't like this frag. She concurred the "crap" note as well.

I think Herrera took a major risk by releasing this infection. I can't say enough negatives about it. It shouldn't be called 212. It is nothing like the original 212 that is actually pleasant and inviting.

Don't let me stop you from trying this, just be sure to try it first before buying. You could end up real sorry.

Canali Men by Canali

Ooooo, this a real keeper I tell yuh!

I bought this fragrance a little over two years ago and still have the same bottle today. It's amazing!

When worn correctly, Canali is extremely enticing and pleasant. People always compliment me when I wear this frag. It's very sweet and bright. It can be worn year round with just about any occasion.

Just to explain its impact. I was with a group of my buddies, about 10 of them and finally one of them said, what are you wearing? After that they all looked over and said, yeah what is that? It's amazing!

To protect its value in my position, I lied and told them it was Cool Water so all them wouldn't go out and bought it. Ha ha!

Another occasion, I wore this to a wedding in a tux and all the ladies were smelling me all night long, wanting to dance and be close. Yes, it has that effect on women.

Guys, you can't go wrong with this one. It's on my top 5 and it can be on your too. It's wonderful and worthy of a trip to the store just to try it.

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I am always shocked when people give this one bad reviews. I suppose individual taste is all preference.

Originally I had a friend that received this fragrance as a gift and I didn't really know what to think about it. Over time I knew what he was wearing when he was around me because it had that "character" to it. It's smoky, but transitions wildly as you progress into the day/night. It's really a experience when you wear this on the skin.

I eventually laid down the money and gotta bottle of it. My girlfriend loves this one and says it's one of my top 5 fav's that I own. I concur 100%

This fragrance is splendid on certain days, occasions, or experiences. I fondly remember being in my old friends neighborhood in the spring. The cool air mixed with the grapefruit trees surrounding the neighborhood and Antidote. The two mixed together were euphoric.

This fragrance is a very bold statement. It's not a fresh watery scent. It's not gourmand, but more smoky and dark with hints of color and light. It's hard to explain this fragrance. It can be all over the place, giving contemplative suggestions to what it is.

Over all, I recommend this fragrance to the man who loves to smell masculine and bold. Someone who has strong intention and holds the courage to be one of character. It's a risk, but well worth the try if you live life on the edge.

I give this fragrance a major thumbs up.

Kiton Black by Kiton

I really studied this fragrance before buying it. I went through review after review on the quest to gain my own impression. I also went through many samples before I purchased this fragrance.

Here's my take.

I would say this fragrance is very smooth. It's soft and comforting. It melds with your skin chemistry very subtly, but noticeably when walking through a slight wind or heat. It's really nice during the night time. The "comfort" hint makes it very inviting and relaxed.

I don't smell anything in this scent remotely close to Bvlgari black. My friend owned that and I don't see any similarities at all. Maybe on certain people the two could smell similar, but don't let that stop you from letting this frag be unique by itself.

I see Kiton black being a master in disguise. Truly one of the best kept secrets. When you wear this, people will not relate to this scent, because they don't know it everyday by the people surrounding them wearing Aqua Di Gio.

To end this review, I will say try it on your skin and give it an honest chance. I love the stuff and would recommend it to anyone who wants something new, warm and soft.

This is a nice guy fragrance. Give it a try!

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

I picked this one up for real cheap and was shocked at its greatness! I love this scent! It's very lemony accompanied with rum. It's extremely similar to Dior Homme Sport. Its so close that I actually returned sport to just keep this one. My girlfriend and I got to the point where we couldn't tell a significant difference.

It's gotta real sharp spike to it that's zesty and fresh. It goes very well throughout the day long into a thick dry down that's pungent and sweet. You only need a few sprays of this stuff, because its strong. I don't how people get the impression that its weak. I've never had to reapply.

Even though I bought this for a such a great deal, I would spend full price on this fragrance just to have it again once I run out.

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

I originally bought this fragrance because my girlfriend liked it so much. It's intense freshness is like walking into a clean room recently wiped down with Pine Sol. No joke.

I like this fragrance, but is smells extremely similar to Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas, that I recently took Sport back to just keep the TB. It got to the point that the difference between the two weren't noticeable enough to keep both. I kept the TB because it smells slightly sweeter and has better lasting power.

If you're looking for a fresh clean scent that's energizing and bright, this is your best bet. It's something to wear to a party with loud music and people all around.

The citron is the biggest thing that stood out to me. Everything else kinda just sat underneath it quietly and burnt out before a nice dry down could blend and project. It didn't last long enough on my skin to say its lasting power is great. It's just okay to me.

Try this out before you buy it. It's nothing like orig Dior Homme.

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Great scent. Very warm, lasts long. It goes well during autumn and winter, maybe on early spring, would not use it during summer. I think it should be worn only on dark clothes, preferably black. You can smell grape and as if there's a hint of chocolate. Not overly masculine but it leaves a certain dose of mystery that women fall for. Both thumbs up.

Earl Grey Tea by Demeter Fragrance Library

I love tea, I quite like earl grey tea so I presumed that I would quite like this. I was wrong the smell reminded me of the 25 year old pot pourri my granny insists on keeping in a ceramic ball in her wardrobe. It really doesnt have that lovely aroma you get from brewing a pot af earl grey.

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

I was a little harsh on this one at first. I was expecting it to smell something like a clean fresh air dryed white cotton jumper, it didn't so i cursed it and put it back in the box, then something magical happened....I engaged my brain and realised that it did smell exactly like a laundromat ! the hot steam iron, the aroma of warm rubber from a busy dryer, hot water, detergent and drying fabric, i finally got it and i really enjoyed it, the scent lasts longer when sprayed on fabric as i do on my bed linen.

Fuzzy Navel by Demeter Fragrance Library

not fuzzy navel, just PEACH !! if you like peach then you should adore this PEACH (it's still screaming at me ). If you would like to try this and dont live in the U.S (demeter can be hard to come by out side of the states) you can try the body shops fuzzy peach its similar but slightly better and not as sweet.

Tribe by Coty

ah the smell of my youth ! back in my day you were'nt a grown up until you owned a bottle of tribe. I bought my first bottle when i was 11 and i stayed true to it till i was 15. sadly it was discontinued. would i wear it today ? probably, unless fond memory has made it seem more delicious than it actually was. I can remember it smelled appley but deep and velvety, sweet but grown up and so so yummy and the bottle ah that twisted deep purple glass with turquiose lid ahhhhhhhh. It's love in retrospect.

SuzeQ's avatar
    SuzeQ

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

I bought this for myself in high school. (972). It smelled like the woman I wanted to embody. My mother tried to forbid me from wearing it. Ha! I wore it anyways.

SuzeQ's avatar
    SuzeQ

Je Reviens by Worth

This is the only perfume that I opened it and used the entire bottle without a break. Perfectly balanced for me. Wore it everywhere, without hesitation.

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

I was fairly mistaken. This scent is not bad. First time I tried it, I thought I tried it, but it was a fake atrocious smell. After quite a while I tried the real Dark Blue and I find it to be a solid oriental spicy fragrance worthy of my attention. Really is kind of dark and naughty. Evening scent for outgoing people.

What I need to update about this scent is that from some reason it became one of my favourite scents. I am aware of the size of my collection, and I also learned a lot about scents here, but Hugo Dark Blue always reminds me of this different times, times when I was younger when things were simpler and is also one of frags that reminds me of some missed opportunities in life. Things I should have done then and not now. It reminds me of the time that I didn't use to enjoy my life back then, and I had all the conditions - but I simply didn't see it, grasped it. This scent has a strong emotional impact on me as this review itself shows it. I agree that Hugo Dark Blue as a fragrance per se is nothing near a masterpiece, but it is a fragrance that I'll always own and that'll always have this certain emotional effect on me. Every time I put it on, I'm not 28. but I'm 21 and careless, free and going out and have fun not caring or worrying about tomorrow.

20th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2012)