Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

Great scent, long lasting, fresh. Reminds me of spring and early summer. Good for evening and daily wear.

One thing I need to add about this scent. Incredible as it may seem or sound, this scent introduced me to the world of fragrances, thus this hobby. It was a gift from my neighbour next door due to my college graduation.

20th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2012)

christophe's avatar

Sir Irisch Moos by Sir

For me it's a true insider tip, I'm always coming back to that one.
    I use to buy a lot of expensive fragrance such Knize Ten, Amouage (well, sorry but I like civette...), Creed (Orange spice, Tabarome, Bois du portugual, GIT...) believing that the price always equal quality (OK It's sometimes true) but somehow I'm always come back to that scent again. SIR Irisch (and not Irish because it's a german one remember ?) Moos is very animalic, long lasting, just well balanced, macho with just a little sweetness in it but really not too much, and has a very smooth chemistry reaction on my skin.
    It's really a "need-to-try" one.
    Great thumb up !!!

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2010)

Deci Delà by Nina Ricci

A fun and lively fruity and nutty delight. Not particularly cerebral but who cares? This is cute perfumery at its best without any trite cliches.

Catalyst for Men by Halston

As dull as dishwater................totally devoid of any interest at all. Avoid!

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Boring and totally unremarkable. Hard to think why this was such a bestseller in the '90's. Smells as cheap as chips. Dull dull dull ............

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Tiresome and far too high pitched. It has been said that this fragrance is "light". It is nothing of the sort. This is loud, screechy and abrasive like nails down a chalkboard.

Donna Karan Essence: Jasmine by Donna Karan

It has been said the a great fragrance should be have complexity and/or abstraction. If you are a strong believer of these principles, you will probably be disappointed with this fragrance as it has neither. If however, like me, you like jasmine with no trimmings, no pretence and no silly names, you will likely enjoy this. One complaint is that the lasting power is somewhat lacking.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Smells like a cross between pina colada and suntan lotion, but at the price hard to see the point. It would be much cheaper to cover yourself in Piz Buin and spill your pina colada all over your bermudas.

J'Adore L'Absolu by Christian Dior

To put it simply, this is J'Adore with more prominent florals. More jasmine, more rose and a touch of tuberose. Absolutely an improvement on the original. This is what J'Adore should have been.

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Two minutes of heaven followed by two hours of boredom. Avoid it if you don't plan to walk around with an atomizer in your pocket.

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Vetiver by Guerlain

Guerlain Vetiver. Easily one of the top five male scents of all time, even after it's infamous reformulations. But I swear that the day Guerlain decides to relaunch it in its former glory, I will throw away all my other colognes and wear only this till the end of my days.

E by Princess Jelisaveta Karadjordjevic

Oh to be a princess! Not of the Disney variety, a real life princess, as in HRH. She has the opportunity to create fragrance, and obtain the guidance and advice of Sophia Grojsman - now THAT's royalty! Upon first whiff, "E" is bright and fresh, slightly flowery. As the day wears on, this perfume remains fresh as a daisy! Clean, soapy florals here folks, not a drop of sweat, spice, or any off color accords. E holds it's regal form throughout it's lifespan, which is long and beautifully lived! Iris in this bouquet lends a powdery softness, to round any sharper edges that might be lurking. This is the kind of scent I had in mind when I sampled Vera Wang's Princess - which BTW was a disappointment. E smells like a princess should smell;
    like the freshest, cleanest, prettiest flower in the kindgom!

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

I'm with lookinglass on this one. A single puff of delicate sweet incense, delectable vanilla, powdery almond, and even a whisper of pipe tobacco. The edt is what I'm sampling, I find it to be a comforting gourmand. My nose is enjoying the banquet! Dries down to a soft powder which is mild and pleasing. For some reason, in the drydown it brings to mind L'Artisans' Ambre Extreme. Interesting and creative! Nope, no play-doh here.

L'Homme Sage by Divine

Moltening, Asha & Jenson have said everything I could want to say about this one. It's really a fabulous scent, well crafted IMO.

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

WHAT? Olivia Giacobetti? No way. If I had to guess, I would have pinned this one on Serge Lutens/Christopher Sheldrake! There are plenty of apt reviews of Idole. For my nose, it comes across as a love child of Feminite du Bois and Serge Noire. Idole also bends the gender, it's completely unisex IMO. It also smells hot. The spices give it that kick. I love it on myself, and can't wait to drizzle some onto my husband! Thumbs up.

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

As with real apples, I prefer the green! This 'red' version lives on my skin like any run of the mill cheap fruity floral.

L'Inspiratrice by Divine

I'm already a fan of the 'rose - vanilla - patchouli' trio, and it is very nicely presented here. It has the same feel as some Rosine's I've sampled. Well blended, the rose is not cloying at all. Almost comes across a little fruity/boozy ~ very rich. Thumbs up.

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

The combination of ylang-ylang, orange, coconut, jasmine, lime, cedar, pepper, & mint literally turn my stomach. I'd much prefer JM's French Lime Blossom - the one that smells like the 70's Bain de Soleil orange tanning gelee.

Jitterbug by Opus Oils

Jasmine and honeysuckle introduce Jitterbug. They are of the green grassy variety, like the jasmine found in Keiko Mecheri's brand. No detection of lemon essence whatsoever. Orange blossom distinctively enters after the 5 minute intro is complete. It is fresh, light, a bit unremarkable. The listed basenotes have my mind wandering as I wait for their appearance...which ends up a bit 'un-finished'. My overall opinion of Jitterbug is un-finished as well. Neutral. Just can't be budged one way or the other.

Heartwood's avatar

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Anise, vanilla, and musk dominate this sweet oriental. It reminds me of Lolita Lempicka, which is also a 'meh' for me, but a little more interesting. Classique has even more sweet vanilla going on. Pass.

Agent Provocateur's avatar

Vanille Pineapple by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Funny, the reviews below find this too pineappley and synthetic. I LOVE IT! And that is possibly because this is exactly what I was hoping for: a real pineapple juice scent - sweet and yet further sweetened by vanilla. I just can't get enough of this scent!

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Fête by Molyneux

In the most simlple of terms; this is coming together of Femme and Mitsouko, with a touch of Parure. It is such a lush and elegant fragrance mere words could not do it justice. Only one word comes to mind while wearing this "sublime".
    It is such a shame it has been discontinued for so many years, it should really be the standard of an elegant classic scent.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

There is something very satisfying about being a woman near a man who smells like this. Fie on you, countless haters who maintain this frag is cheap, even boring. I bought this for my husband and I feel "so protected, so like a woman" when I am with him and he smells like "a real man" should. That's what this smells like to me. A manly man's scent.

And other women are quick to agree when we go out, because I have to beat their noses off him with a stick! Everyone inquires, even if they have to turn around and come after us to do so. Hate it if you want, but don't blame anyone but yourself when no women chase you down to smell you! Who needs to think of a pick-up line when your fragrance can do the work for you?

TaraYvonne's avatar

Lalique Le Parfum by Lalique

I think it's a lovely scent, very womanly and mellow. So it's a little average and run of the mill. It still got a few compliments from people around me when I tested a vial out at work. And I did enjoy it. So did others, and what else can you ask for really? Not ground-breaking, maybe, but still a lovely and traditional oriental/flower scent for the masses that doesn't freak anyone's olfactories out.

JackTwist's avatar

Elisabethan Rose by Penhaligon's

This is an excellent and powerful tea rose scent. Despite the 8 ingredients listed, my nose can only distinguish this one ingredient. Very feminine and a little goes a very long way. Odd that it is named Elisabethan Rose, in that the tea rose did not arrive in the UK until the late 18th century and didn't flourish there until the mid-late 19th century. The name connotes that it was a scent in existence during the reign of Elizabeth I, but could not have been. Perhaps it's named after another "Elisabeth." Wonderful in any case as soap, lotion, powder, as well as cologne.

Top Notes: Aldehydes; Geranium
    Middle Notes: Camomile; Violet; Rose
    Base Notes: Musk; Amber; Sandalwood

Jasper's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Before I try it I thought it would be a light, fresh a little spicy woody-aromatic scent, judged by its notes. I'm fooled! This one is so thick and heavy and dull you almost can cut it with a knife! Where is the orange, where is my favorite bergamot? all I can smell was incense and some burnt spices. Oh and a hint of vetiver too but in this case it did not help freshen up this fragrance. I have never found CSP's scent I don't like but this is the one! I don't think I will try it again at least not in the near future. Disappointed!

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

Jasper's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Vanille Mokha / Vanille Café by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

To me, Vanille Mokha is my favorite among CSP's vanilla line. It smells very yummy. The creamy-sweetness of vanilla together with devine aroma of coffee, I'm in heaven! I'd always on the fence with vanilla note, never a big fan for gourmand scent but this one sound too good to pass so I bought it. Just adore this gem! Such a mood lifter for me. And I found the staying power is good too.(comparing to Amour de Cacao.)

AnnaSa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

I absolutely love Cuir Pleine Fleur - this is the smell of luxury to me. The leather is a top quality, super soft leather - and the floral and green notes are fresh and in perfect balance with the leather. I never smelled mimosa this good, it's absolutely wonderful. I don't think I will ever get tired of this fragrance.

Galleddrim's avatar

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium EDP is hands-down the most complex frag I have ever owned. There is a lot going on here. This stuff smells amazing . . . on paper. On me, not so much.

Make sure to sample this one (as with ANY of the others in the YSL Opium line) before diving in. I so wanted to like this. But on me, it's too incensy, too spicy, and too hot. It also has crazy monster sillage and the longevity of a Taoist monk, so I can't wear it just for my own enjoyment. At age 28, I think I am too young for this one. Maybe in about 30 years.

Galleddrim's avatar

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

I don't really "get" 360 Red. It's alright for a spring or summer day. The cinnamon is fresh, but drowns out the other notes to me. Makes me feel like I'm smelling like fresh Big Red. I'll wear what I've got unless I sell or trade it, but won't buy again.