Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Galleddrim's avatar
    Galleddrim

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Old dried fruit. That's all I get from this. Maybe a bit of leather too, but that just makes it smell dirty. Polo Black is kind of a disappointment, to put it mildly. With the designation "black" I was hoping for a decent evening frag. But I find this totally unwearable.

Galleddrim's avatar
    Galleddrim

Black Diamond by Canali

A smooth, rich, musky-sweet fragrance with a leathery edge. I don't get the spice so much. The citrus makes itself known with the initial blast, but settles quickly. The combination of florals and fruits work well as heart notes to ensure a silky smooth transition from each stage to the next, while the leather and musk make sure you don't forget that this frag is for a man.

I've been looking for a good evening fragrance that lived up to it's "black" presentation for a while now. I have found two now. This one, and Emporio Armani Night. Black Diamond is more formal, inviting you in with refined taste and good proper etiquette. Emporio Night appeals to the more primal instincts.

I appreciate both.

lizzie_j's avatar
    lizzie_j

Vanilla Almond by Dragonfly Blue

I love gourmand scents, but when I wear this, I feel like a giant almond and coconut macaroon. Vanilla Almond is a rather uninspired vanilla-centric perfume oil without any depth or complexity. That would be okay if the scent was a nice linear nutty vanilla that I could use for layering, but it's got an artificial slightly 'off' note that gets on my nerves (something like a cheap coconut oil). I recommend as an alternative their Vanilla, which is a nice, inexpensive vanilla skin scent.

Noraed's avatar
    Noraed

Unforgivable Woman by Sean John

It is a sweet, gentle, relaxing, romantic and unique scent.
    It smells like vanilla and jasmine.
    It is an Oriental - Floral type of perfume.
    It has a delightful smell that you don’t find in most perfumes.
    I don’t understand why I’m the first one to complement this perfume. I know two other people who like this perfume too.
    I say give this perfume another chance, especially if you like soft, sweet, vanilla or jasmine smelling perfumes.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

This is a review of habit Rouge EDT.

As a woman I had been curious about how Habit Rouge, but wasn't sent over the edge to actually purchase it until I was in Bergdorf's Guerlain section (NYC) a couple of weeks ago and took a sniff at the tester for it. I didn't bother to spray any on a paper strip or my arm, but the little whiff that I did get sent me away thinking that I should investigate further. The next day after I got back home, I ordered a full bottle, basically untested. The weird thing is that, like foetidus, MonkeyManMatt and slinky (sounds like I've been hanging around with 3 hoods from a film noir), the first time I applied it I began to feel nauseated after several minutes. But I ignored the feeling and stuck with it. I was glad I did. After the initial strong and tart lemon marangue (spelling?) pie blast, it started to settle into something more like woody citrus with the peppery pimento note peeking through. Further into the drydown I get a little sandalwood, but the floral notes never show themselves to my nose. The scent eventually evokes one of those sweet and tart hard lemon ball candies with a soft leather in the background. A strange, hard to define scent, but I liked it. The sillage was medium on me. This is definitely a unisex scent and in my opinion, this can be worn in any season.

When I first smelled Habit Rouge, it brought to mind a vintage Caron scent I had acquired a few weeks before called "Eau de Caron". There wasn't much about Eau de Caron on the internet, but the Perfume Intelligence site does have an entry for it and lists the notes. Eau de Caron reminded me of Jicky, although it was not as rich, much lighter and the sillage and longevity only lasts about 15 minutes, then it completely disappears. The similarities between the 3 scents gave me the idea to layer Habit Rouge with Jicky. The results were GORGEOUS. In the end I prefer Jicky over all three and love it on its own, unlayered. Habit Rouge is very nice on its own, but it sends me over the top when I layer it with Jicky, so I'll continue to wear it that way.

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

1826 by Histoires de Parfums

The notes I have for 1826 are somewhat different than those posted in the review, below. These are the notes on the new bottle (pardon my bad French):

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin
    Mid: White Flowers, Violette, 'Gingerbre', 'Cannelle'
    Base: Patchouli, Amber, Incense, 'Bois Blondes', White Musk, Vanilla

As I've worked my way through the Histoires line, I've come to realize that the published notes are only indicative of what you'll actually experience, and they do not represent the actual order in which you will smell them. The Noir Patchouli should really be called 'Noir Rose' because the patchouli topnotes are fleeting and it's all about the rose. People should not think these are historical recreations - rather, this line has chosen historical figures as catchy associations with their fragrances (the way Etat Libre has done with sexual innuendos).

1826 would have been more appropriate to have patchouli in the name, because although it's a published basenote, it's a primary note to the fragrance structure and is apparent from top to base. The top is a pretty - but not delicate - citrus tempered with rose and other florals. Patchouli makes an entrance fairly quickly after the opening and becomes more prominent as the fragrance progresses. Patchouli is joined by what I believe to be violet (or other slightly pungent florals) in the heart. I like the composition's balance - it is never too sweet, too floral, or too citrusy, yet there is a brightness that highlights all of these aspects.

Unfortunately, by the time the base establishes itself (3 hours), the fragrance has run out of steam. There is a musky patchouli, rose, and some mild woody notes poking through, but it fades quickly from this point. I get none of the amber, incense, or vanilla per the published notes, though perhaps they are simply part of the composition and not distinct. The longevity is surprisingly short compared to 1969 Parfum de Revolte and 1740 Marquis de Sade, which both lasted 12 hours or more on my skin.

Even with the average longevity 1826 is a fun fragrance - if I had to categorize I'd say it's a 'patchouli/citrus/floral'. Good stuff.

Adama's avatar
    Adama

Brit for Men by Burberry

My mother has a makeup bag that she's owned since I was a kid. This bag has held more then 20 years worth of makeup, perfumes, etc. The fabric holds the scent of everyone of these products- it's a a very deep, warm scent.

And that bag is exactly what Brit smells like. It's uncanny, and I couldn't believe it when I first got a whiff of this stuff. Though the Rose is listed as a Middle Note, I think that it sticks around for the Heart as well. I think this Rose is what really adds to the makeup smell.

It isn't a bad cologne, however it isn't one that I want to smell like.

the_tourist's avatar
    the_tourist

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

When I was four or five years old, I raided my grandmother's spice rack and poured the contents of various bottles into a saucepan. This is what it smelled like.

msleslie's avatar
    msleslie

Bellodgia by Caron

This is a lovely carnation scent, though I believe the clove or peppery note I used to love years ago has been removed in the current version and I miss that aspect. It is still wonderfully fresh and pretty, in some ways like Bulgari Pour Femme in its elegance. Bellodgia is my favorite Caron.

msleslie's avatar
    msleslie

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

I have not seen Lauren for many years, but lived in a wondrous cloud of it in the late 70's. What an enchanting, intoxicating, brilliant scent this was! I don't think I would wear it now, as I like more subdued fragrances, but I would dearly love to smell it again. There should be 'scent museums' so that these lovely creations are not lost for all time once their day has gone!

archibald's avatar
    archibald

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

Bought this half blind based on Lalique's Basenotes rep and the very Alluresque smell on the test strip, both of which made me conclude that 55 bucks for 3 oz of EDP had very limited downside. Two full wears later, I still think it was a pretty good buy with a couple reservations. As others have noted Allure's citrus, at once fresher and richer, is superior to Lalique PH's but I think everything else about the Lalique--silage, longevity, dark florals, a good cedar, and restrained sweetness make it a superior fragrance. I do get an almost-but-not-quite staleness--dustiness may be a better word--that appears when the citrus dissipates (well into the development, BTW) and unless I press my wrist to my nose, the drydown dominated by vanilla, which is usually unkind to my skin. One man's dust is another man's powder, I guess, so I give it a thumbs up.

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Nice initial cirtrus burst. Nice sandalwood drywood. Overall- nice. But in today's world where there are hundreds of frags waiting for your attention, being nice just doesn't cut it anymore. This one bores me to tears. Give me Insense anytime.

Sterling Maiden's avatar
    Sterling Maiden

Guess by Marciano by Guess

Have been reaching for this one since I bought it a month ago. It's a very comforting scent for cold weather. The first whiff is to die for...delicious and rich. with a somewhat unusual blend of ingredients, and well-blended to my nose. Sweet, but not cloying, and better than most mass market floral-fruity scents.

I get all vanilla in the dry-down too, like the previous review mentioned. Some trace of raw wood and Dulce de Leche (as listed) would make it much more interesting

I also have the shower gel and body lotion (purchased as a gift set). Love the scent of all three. Great for the price - glad I bought it...

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Original Vetiver by Creed

Oh mama! This encounter was more than a compensation for the legions of saccharin mediocrity that I have had to endure recently. Whereas Guerlain Veitiver takes the scenic route from application to dry down, Original Vetiver takes the express route, and it is utterly delightful. There is a eucalyptus type hollowness on application, but it is muted and a little sweet. There is no sucker punch from the vetiver, it merely remains when other components have faded away. For such a rich composition, this achieves it's goals without fuss or fanfare. Every phase of this fragrance is an utter joy.

Sunnyfunny's avatar
    Sunnyfunny

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I wasn't ever going to try this one. I heard Lolita Lempicka (which I love and wear) compared to it, and not in a very attractive way. Mildly outraged, I thought, But Angel is just so unfashionably...popular! And teenagers wear it! A lot! Say it isn't so. I sprayed it on a test strip at Macy's just to ease my mind. I got pungent and peppery, mostly bergamot, none of the sweet, and none of the softness of my lovely Lolita. Yet I perceived a similarity.
    My hairstylist was wearing Angel when I went in last Saturday, and on her it was spice and caramel. This isn't my idea of what I want to smell like, but she wore it very well, and I was curious to find out what my skin would do to it. So off to Nordstrom I went, trolling for samples. After much deliberation, I decided to test it on a work day. My husband's first reaction: "AUGHHH!!! WASH IT OFF!!" Then my cat started licking my wrist. I didn't take that as a good sign. It started out chocolate cake and spice, then turned into berries and spice. But not really the natural scents-- more like chocolate and berry esters, the ones you make in high school chem lab and turn into lollipops. I concluded before we left the house that I in fact smelled like the high schooler whose parents could afford to buy her a Coach bag, while the rest of the girls languished in Fantasy and Old Navy fare (not that there's anything wrong with Old Navy.) I sort of relished the idea of someone commenting on the smell, to which I would gleefully respond, "I know, isn't it horrible?" I actually apologized to my coworkers for wearing such an offensive fragrance to work and promised not to do it again. I smelled Angel throughout the day, with nary a hint of caramel, or even vanilla. Just berries and bergamot, which apparently turns peppery on me. For the better part of the day, I would catch a whiff and think ,Yep, Angel.. Is this peppery-berry thing ever going to go away? Then it happened. Hours later, during one of the busiest parts of the day, I caught a whiff and thought, That smells like Lolita.
    WTF!!!
    So I pondered to myself, WHY??!? The components aren't even remotely similar! I don't even like this one (in theory)! Why do they smell so similar now???
    I came home and applied Lolita to one wrist and Angel to the other (one big difference-- Angel lasts about three hours less on me.) So let's get down to business. Somehow, the structures of each play out very similarly on my skin. But Angel's chocolate and caramel are perceivable next to Lolita's anise seed and licorice. The flower and greenery in Lolita make this one softer, warmer, more inviting. Angel is sharper, colder, and darn it if it isn't because of those esters! All that being said, Angel isn't....really.......uhhh.........that bad. There. I said it.
    How strange individual chemistry is....

naomi13angel's avatar
    naomi13angel

Forever Elizabeth by Elizabeth Taylor

Got a 50ml bottle of this in a factory seconds shop for £5 so it was well worth the money I thought. I carried it round in my hand bag and squirted it like there was no tomorrow.If you do have to fork out more than the price I paid, then give it a miss, there are so many others like it around. The only thing I liked about it was the sweet banana note which was a nice for the price !

oscarortiz.com's avatar
    oscarortiz.com
    Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Avatar by Coty

My wife got me this cologne, pretty cheap by the way. I love the light scent yet masculine mid tones of it. I always get compliments when wearing it. I may have to contact Coty for a promo fee. Usually I apply it right after taking a bath when the porous are still open and also as an after shave. I may also reapply it after put it on a very light coat of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly first on dry spots (especially now during winter which I do all over my face... is the perfect moisturizer for me at least.) I say give it a try. Like all other scents, not all fragrances go well with everybody.

azi27's avatar
    azi27

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

awful.Very synthetic,very noseeating.I can stand it

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 February, 2010)

scotch7's avatar
    scotch7

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

It was perfect for me. A mellow blend of spice and musk with a hint of floral. I was devastated when I learned they'd stopped making it. After significant shopping I went with Aramis Tuscany Forte, which was very nice and quite close. Now that's been shelved, and Aramis is a part of Este Lauder. Grr. Wish I could find one or the other in the aftermarkets.

scotch7's avatar
    scotch7

Tuscany per Uomo Forte by Aramis

I wore this for years after Lauder dropped "Metropolis" for Men. If I had known it was to be dropped, I would have purchased a case. You only needed a little and it lasted all day. It got lots of compliments and since it was on me at the time, I happily basked in the praise. Wish I had a nose that would help me find something similar.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

About as subtle as an air-horn. Goes on strong and gnaws at you like nails on a chalkboard. A lot of people like this - I don't. It seems as though I can't tolerate this or the women's version. Sorry, Opium.

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2010)

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Allure Homme with lemons?

A powdery oriental with an annoying lemon note that just doesn't fit. Sorry Chanel, you just couldn't sell me on this one....

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2010)

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

Davidoff Adventure kinda had potential with the tea and pimento notes, both of which are notes that I love in fragrances, unfortunately the longevity is abysmal. It also smells sort of like chicken noodle soup on my skin.....oh well.

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2011)

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Elixir by Penhaligon's

Fifteen ingredients go into this "oriental," but I can only detect six. Immediately the three spices are most evident (Cardamom, Cinnamon, Mace). These are supported by Rose. Affter a half hour the spices begin to fade and we are left with a lovely, warm mixture of White Cedar and Rosewood. A very nice oriental which my nose is surprised to find is actually quite light, although I am used to this mix as "heavy." Very much recommended, but I would think it more suitable for a woman than a man.

Top Notes: Eucalyptus Steam; Cardamom; Orange Blossom; White Cedar
    Middle Notes: Red Turkish Rose; Egyptian Jasmine; Cinnamon Leaves; Mac; Rosewood
    Base Notes: Benzoin; Tonka Beans; Vanilla; Incense; Red Sandalwood; Guaicum Wood

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2011)

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

This is one of my favorite Penhaligon's scents. Although it contains 11 listed ingredients, the result is a very pleasant dry reedy scent underlined with vanilla and a hint of amber. It is wonderful as a summer scent and its soap, talc and lotion embodiments have a permanent home for summer use. Highly recommended.

Top Notes: Nectarine; Green Foliage
    Middle Notes: Green Apple; Lily of the Valley; Jasmine Tea; Violet; Vanilla
    Base Notes: Oakmoss; Sandalwood; Musk; Amber; Vanilla

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2011)

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

It is easy to lump this new sparkling Armani in with the faceless, characterless and endless parade of fresh flavors of the month that roll out of the designer fragrance labs. But NO, that would be a mistake. Diamonds for Men is a very good new fragrance! It is a refreshingly different combination of bergamot, woods, ambroxen, vetiver and chocolate. The opening is juicy and sparkling bergamot and iso e super, then it softens with a touch of chocolate over cedar, vetiver and ambroxen that gives it a nutty wood middle and base. If you could pick and chose the best parts of Acqua di Parma Inensa + a bit of chocolate from A Men, + woods of HeWood over the familiar Armani Code drydown . . . you might end up with Diamonds for men.

Created by Jacques Cavallier of Firmenich, the effect of Diamonds is fresh and sparkling over warm, slightly powdery woods. The combination works very well.

Joe_Frances's avatar
    Joe_Frances

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I love the leather in this. It is fairly up front and dominant in a way that is difficult to describe except to say that if Tom Ford hadn't done this perhaps Santa Maria Novella might have. It is wonderfully unusual and can be modern, classic, generically masculine and unisex at the same time. I love dominant leather fragrances, and this is right up there. Compare and contrast with Spanish Leather by Santa Maria Novella first. I can't tell the Spanish from the Italian, but both are muy bien, multo bene.

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

Bogart Citytower by Jacques Bogart

IT'S A VERY NICE WARM SCENT. IT'S ALSO GOT STAYING POWER. BUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE INCENSE...THEN THIS MAY NOT BE THE SCENT FOR YOU.

scentimus's avatar
    scentimus

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

There is two version of this fragrance a Eau de Toilette and a Eau de Cologne. The EDT is harder to find and mostly you see the EDC which is much brighter then the EDT and it not long lasting at all.

I recently was able to sample the EDT and it is very sweet sticky and powdery at the same time it actually smells like how the color of the jus is in the bottle a funky florescent green....

lilinah's avatar
    lilinah

Just Breathe by CB I Hate Perfume

On me "Just Breathe" opens green and leafy, as i hoped. But within seconds it shifted to rich floral; i get hits of gardenia and jasmine. Now i love gardenia, and jasmine is good too, but i had hoped for something green and woody with just a hint of floral sweetness.

One-half hour after applying, it is still richly floral - it reminds me of "Fracas", which i wear, but not quite as heavy or complex. I'm sure it will change again...

An hour later it dried down to a gentle green plus floral incense.

Two hours later, it is still green and floral, but now i can smell the woods, which are subtle but grounding.

This is an intimate fragrance, and, on me, quite feminine.

I'll certainly wear this, it is quite lovely. But not as i had expected, something green and woody with a hint of floral. Rather it was seductively floral with only a hint of green and woody.