Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

lilinah's avatar

Violet Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

Violet "Empire" is described on the CB I Hate Perfume website as:
    "Blended from CB Violet Empress [Christopher Brosius's own accord], Elemi, Violet Leaf Absolute, Rosewood, Mahogany, and Russian Leather. Violet Empire is an unusual yet very elegant perfume. The violet scent perpetually peeps out from behind a shining green veil."

At first it disappointed me. It was darker and earthier than i had expected. I like dark and earthy scents, but i was hoping for a bit more Violet. As i wore it, however, it changed, as layer after layer of scent was revealed, and in the end i was captivated by it, dark, leather, wood, hiding a shy hint of sweet violet. I'm sure it will smell very different on everyone who wears it.

lilinah's avatar

Wild Hunt by CB I Hate Perfume

Wild Hunt is described on the CD I Hate Perfume website as:
    "the scent of an ancient forest in the heat of a summer afternoon. It is a blend of Torn Leaves, Crushed Twigs, Flowing Sap, Fallen Branches, Old Leaves, Green Moss, Fir, Pine and Tiny Mushrooms."

The opening fragrance is indeed earthy and woody. It is followed by the scent of fir and pine. Next i get hints of spices, although i can't identify which. After this come rich seductive flowers, not strong, but somewhat heady, while the spice and woods remain. I hoped for something earthier, but i like the blend of flowers and woods.

ivan2057's avatar

Austria Austria

René Lezard Masculin by René Lezard

2 sophisticated negative reviews from 2 such recognized members you'd say they must be right. Well, they are in theory !

This fragrance is fresh and light but still gets noticed by sophisticated spices and manages to stay very masculine at the same time without being agressive at any moment.

That's why women love it !!!
    I get so many compliments all the time it's incomparable to any other scent.

Sometimes it's hard to get but when it's usually decently priced.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I am an avid tea lover, have teas from the world over, this however dois not tickle my 'taste' buds. It definitely has an aura of nice quality Lapsang Souchong, but the smoky quality is sometimes so overpowering it is disreptive to the overall impression; as if I had enjoyed a cup of tea in a burning tea house, not my favorite way to enjoy a cup of tea;).

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Interesting rose scent. I feel it is far better as a masculine. As a feminine, it is far too medicinal, and astringent for my tastes.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

EEk!!! I have been dipped in a jar of jam, then went frolicking in the woods with a musk deer, then we both got ill from the overall impression.

For a better 'jam' or 'berry' note, try Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Reminds me of the scent in Notre Dame; which I will say is truly intoxicating.

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It starts off, for me, as an 'imitation vanilla' right out of the spice drawer. Not a wonderful "Williams-Sonoma' type of deluxe vanilla, but rather a generic 'super market' imitation one, in my opinion. I feel that this scent longs to be a vanilla sugar cookie embodiment, but it falls short in many ways; seems someone took the cookies out of the oven too soon, hence the lack of yummy food-like character.
    There seems to be a vision here, but it falls far short of the intended goal.

Riviera Palace by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The name is misleading; this hardly make me think of a palace, nor does it remind me of the Riviera. It makes me think of some quaint, and very prim, ladies dressing-room from another time; all white flowers, with a bit of heaviness, and the requisite powdery finish. For a much nicer white flower composition, without the dressing-room allusions, No. 22 Chanel is so much of a superior scent. It makes one feel happy that RP is now only a memory.

Coeur de Vahiné by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I always love this scent on a hot summer day. It is a wonderful floral fruit composition, but not the generic type so guilty of inundating the market, but a well crafted one.
    It's name always summed it up for me "Les enfants du soleil" (Children of the sun), it makes me feel carefree, youthful, and gives me a sunny disposition.
    Truly a masterpiece of the fruity/floral genre; what all the others could be if they were not envisioned for Lolita's, or 50 year-olds parading around as if they were coquettes.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

If only cheap air freshener smelled this divine! It would save me a ton of money, but unfortunately this is far too high quality to be compared to anything related to the word cheap. C'mon people! Yes there will be some scents that remind you of this, after all there are a million products out there that try to capture this type of scent because it appeals to the masses. But keep in mind that Fleurs d'Oranger IS a floral with a foody citrus-like edge and there are so many products out there that use this type of scent too. Any fragrance that tries to capture this will be condemned for the same reason. And men should not try this one, I hardly feel this qualifies as a "man" scent. Men please, only review this if you are smelling it on a woman, because that is the only standpoint which would allow you to be fair to this Fragrance. It's girly, of course YOU won't like wearing it! It's rich, it's dripping like so many Serge Lutens creations. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you like your frags tame then steer clear of this entire line. That way the world won't have to read your misleading thumbs down ratings-which only come from the ones that can't take a potent scent.

joxer96's avatar

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

I'm loving this one! No cheese or plastic here either, just a beautifully warm narcotic note with a hint of earthyness that became more prominent as the drydown progressed. Very indolic, that's for sure, but never overpowering. Seven hours into application, and it's still going strong.

Aysu's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Interesting name, appealing bottle and good marketing made me try this scent in the mall... I sniffed the bottle first then gave up trying it on my skin as I thought it was another sweet sugary smell out there.
    Found it ordinary... But two weeks ago, a lady who I met in a conference was wearing a perfume which was amazing, she said it was Flowerbomb. Couple of days later another lady in the office was wearing a very good perfume and she said it was Flowerbomb, again. So I tried it again on my skin and changed my mind about it. Because it develops on your skin in a very good way. I cannot detect bergamot, tea and flower notes much, except jasmine, it blends with patchouli very well and becomes milky. This is definitely not an Angellike overly sweet perfume, not offending, and quite good choice for night and special occasions... Oh by the way, drydown reminds me of Gloria of Cacharel (although the notes are not similar)

Asha's avatar

Nahéma by Guerlain

Guerlain Nahema parfum vs. Guerlain Nahema EDP

Nahema is supposedly a rose solifore fragrance that has no rose notes. It is with a combination of carefully selected ingredients that the olfactory image of a rose is reconstructed. Now that I think of it, that is probably the best way to do it--real rose absolute does not smell like a fresh rose blossom, nor do most of the synthetics I have smelled. I am sure this approach is used one way or another with any scent composition which attempts to mimic a natural scent that is difficult to capture directly from the source.

When I applied Nahema parfum (with a dabber sample), I smelled rose blossom immediately. The scent at first was somewhere between a tea rose and a damask rose--light and delicate, not terribly boozy, and only a bit spicy. As the fragrance rapidly developed, the interplay of notes seemed to change. I could still imagine rose when I smelled it, but the accord seemed much more fruity and tropical, with a touch of citrus. I do not know what the notes actually are, but I smelled cherry, almond, ylang and a lemony rosewood or citronella. The rosewood is the one ingredient which tended to destroy the rose imagery for me, but I only caught whiffs of it now and then. The most pervasive notes were the cherry and almond, and the two together gave a seemingly contradictory sweet, tart and bitter bite to the fragrance. The sharpness eventually softened in the drydown, although I still smelled cherry rather prominently. There appeared to be some sweet resins in the base, probably benzoin and perhaps a touch of vanilla, woods, some powder and very small amount of spice. There was also a waxyness in the parfum drydown, probably either from aldehydes or as part of the resinous base accord.

When I applied Nahema edp (also with a dabber sample), I did not smell rose right away. It was more of a warm, nutty scent, somewhat vegetal and a bit resinous. It was earthy without evoking dirt, smooth and rounded, and not floral at all. Once this top note started to fade, the rose emerged, and seemed to be exactly the same accord that is in the parfum. Whereas the rose accord in the parfum opened up, it stayed more compressed in the edp. I actually think this compressed effect is a better for preserving the overall rose impression. The use of the rose accord in the edp seemed softer, more homogeneous, and more minimalist. It is billowy and cushiony, more fleeting, and much less penetrating than the parfum. In this sense, it continued to give me an impression of a rose rather than reverting into its various component notes as it did in the parfum. There was a bit of the sharp cherry-almond edge in the edp, but it was much less prominent, keeping the fragrance from turning into a tropical fruit and flower melange. The soft and rounded theme continued into the drydown, and as the cherry and almond faded, resins, mellow wood and a very faint spice remained. The edp was not as powdery as the parfum, although neither was particularly strong in that note. Where the parfum was very waxy at this stage, the edp had less waxyness and seemed more woody--there was a wet cardboard effect that I caught once or twice.

Overall, I can see how Nahema is a fragrance worthy of acclaim. For any fragrance enthusiast who is hungry for a conceptual "fragrance experience", Nahema is a must-try. Like most conceptual works, however, I find myself wondering how wearable this fragrance is. There is certainly nothing offputting about it, and it is not really trying to push too many boundaries in terms of what women's fragrances have traditionally tended toward. I love the idea that the central rose accord was completely synthesized from other ingredients. But...would I love to own a full bottle, and would I wear it often? For me, the answer is probably not. Not at this moment, anyway. Of the two concentrations, I prefer the edp for is softness, and also because the rosewood and waxy notes are less prominent. Both developed very quickly, over the period of about one to two hours. Sillage seemed low to medium, with the perfume having a bit more projection. The cherry and almond in Nahema evoke other cherry-almond fragrances such as Dior Hypnotic Poison and Serge Lutens Datura Noir. However, Nahema captures a subtlety which is lacking in the Dior or Lutens. I noticed the same subtlety in Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver, another conceptual almond fragrance which must certainly pay homage to Nahema.

Unforgivable by Sean John

This one is a compliment-magnet from the chicks, but that doesn't mean this lower-cost copy of Millesime Imperial should be forgiven.

22 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 August, 2009)

Dragon by Parfums Raffy

This ain't no dragon -- a lizard perhaps? This is just a boring dismissible messed-up synthetic mish-mash. Smells cheap with no glimpse of hope to save it from complete utter mediocrity... and then it's gone. Hooray!

Mogul by Parfums Raffy

I tried to visit A List Fragrances' website, which apparently were the ones "responsible" for this.. little abomination. Well, it appears they didn't even bother creating a website, which clearly reflects their level of effort. Seriously though, this is just a more concentrated recreation of various 80's-themed frags. This one has no heart and soul.

tanto's avatar

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (new) by Bourjois

My grandmother used this for many years (old version). The new version is pleasant but the old version brings back many fond memories of her. Why do these perfumers change a "good thing"? Even though the fragrance has been updated a bit, the name still remains the same. Of course, people know it is something from days gone bye. Then, why bother to change the original fragrance at all?

Persian Leather by Caswell-Massey

Not leather.... unless Persian Leather is a variety that doesn't smell like any other leather on earth. I found this to be watery and a light smoky fragrance at best. It's somewhat bitter and totally linear. This isn't in the same league as Knize Ten - or any other well established leather - not even close. If you're a leather fan don't even bother because it's not worth it, which is unfortunate because usually C-M puts out good stuff.

Quelques Fleurs Royale by Houbigant

A lush and very full floral with rose leading the way. Sweet but not sweet, and not overtly feminine such that a guy couldn't wear it. This is reminiscent of how a full mixed bouquet of flowers smell. Add a touch of liqueur in the background for texture and you've got QFR. Very pretty, very nice. No offense intended to SirSlarty, but I don't get the L'Homme comparison at all.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

A good incense fragrance with thick layers twinged with spices and fruits. There's a nearly creamy texture to XXV. Unfortunately it's just too much and is an example of the phenomena where too many notes creates an overload that just isn't successful. I can recognize why people would like this but I don't like the aroma it creates when wearing it, and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it anywhere.

I'm glad I only had to spend $50 for a 30ml bottle because the normal price is $240+ for 50ml. At that price this fragrance fails compared to other fragrances in that price range. Now that the travel bottles are sold out, there's no reason to drop the cash for a retail priced bottle. I'd prefer to drop that money on Amouage's Lyric Men, which is as smooth as silk and very unique.

Speaking of unique, Duchoufor's own L'Artisan AdV is better and a touch cheaper, and Timbuktu even more so. It's pretty rare that I trade off a bottle like this instead of keeping it for posterity or to give away samples, but I already found a home for mine and don't think I'll miss it. This fragrance is a case study in what happens when a high-end fragrance becomes very affordable, because all of a sudden it's so many people's favorite fragrance. The truth of the matter is it's the only good niche fragrance they own.

drummerboy20's avatar

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Way better than Adg. In my opinion, everyones opinion

drummerboy20's avatar

Cordovan by Banana Republic

I have to agree with Sir Slarty, when he said it was really nice on clothes, too. An office scent that could be considered a little "sexy" but not overbearing to make your co-workers hold their noses in disgust.

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Black Diamond by Canali

smells great, lasts long ,sexy, masculine, nice bottle ....everything in it tell you to give it thumbs up .....

A-Train's avatar

Cologne 41 by Abercrombie & Fitch

Not a bad attempt at a rip off of Bulgari PH. However, I just can't justify buying this at $70.00.

dacerace's avatar

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

I cannot believe any negatives on this one.Up until 8 years ago,the most I splashed out...(forgive the pun!)..was on a bottle of Tabac Original..(theres nothing wrong with it though!!)...and then I got a bottle of Ultraviolet for sale cheap ,and I realised why people paid more for the likes of this,and have never looked back....so started my love of fragrances!(26 assorted bottles in my collection at present).Ultraviolet seems to sell well...but I never notice anyone wearing it,and when I wear it,I get lots of compliments...and most importantly I like it too!!..Don't over spray this one,it is strong...,and long lasting...it will last all day...and night.Don't read too much into the negatives...try a tester,or see if you can get a bargain buy if you are not sure...give it a go!!...,especially you single lads,the lasses will love you!

sketchwars's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This scent took me on a trip. I purchased a sample six months ago thinking it would be THE musk for me. I love musk and have tried soo many without finding exactly what I'm looking for. This was a dissapointment. First note I got was CUMMIN, lots of it. somehow it mellowed to a plain musk BUT with a dank smell of big dirty stripy hair. YUCK! I locked this in a jewelry box for a couple of months until five days ago when I found it again. Three months ago I quit smoking, i used to smoke half a pack a day so my nose may not have been the greatest of the bunch and my chemestry was obviously messed up! I put some of this on and went to make a cattle of tea. 15 minutes later the most amazing musk appeared. I Love this on me. it is animalic, sexy, romantic, comforting. If I smelled this on the right man he would probably not get rid of me, this is that amazing. Cant stop smelling myself :)

sketchwars's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

This drives me crazy. It's over the top sexy! One of the best ambers I've ever tried. 20 thumbs up!

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Versace l'Homme by Versace

This is some serious fragrance.
    Where Armani pour homme fails Versace comes right, very right.
    This fragrance is very sophisticated , every time I wear it I feel invigorated, it smells expensive and classy.
    Light, citric and somehow powdery. L´Homme is a blurred fragrance because, at least to me, identifying he different notes is not easy , must be because they are perfectly blended and well balanced. I love it.
    This is a mature juice and yet playful . A winner, in the morning, in the afternoon , in the evening , at night and after hours, it wont let you down.

's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Lovely stuff. Definately more masculine than Egoiste. This is strong stuff and I am definately happy just using the aftershave lotion which lasts 6-7 hours on me. The EDT can be a little overpowering, so use it sparingly.