Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

DawnLady's avatar

Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

Absolutely gorgeous - rich, spicy, sweet, comforting, long lasting. And such amazing value - this smells and wears like something way, way more expensive than it is. Fantastic!

archibald's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Men's Health reports that women prefer cucumbers...or at least cucumber notes in men's fragrances. Leaving that info to fragrance marketers and Freudian psychoanalysts to sort out, it would be hard to believe that very many people would ever use word "sexy" to modify "Wall Street by Bond #9." It's even harder to believe that Wall Street is made by the same house that gave us Riverside Drive and Chez Bond.

I get cucumber, and lots of it, along with a salty, gritty, and slightly synthetic attempt at a marine accord that lasts too long. The drydown is better--and more similar to Erolfa--but not worth the wait. Whatever body of water served as the inspiration for this frag, I ain't swimming in it.

teoman's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

I hate mint in fragrances. If I want to smell like mint i ll put some toothpaste on me. Like M7... But damn this stuff amazing. Strong but definatly not overwhelming. Cartier knows their way. Another awesome fragrance.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

A piece of fragrant minimalism from Creed. I detect that there is a lot going on here, but my nose is simply to unwieldy to pick them up. It has the obligatory Creed rich finish, but I can see little to commend parting with the vast quantity of pennies required to purchase this.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Neroli by Czech & Speake

At the beginning of my love for fragrances, I assumed that I would only appreciate something that I would enjoy wearing, but I now know that there is a category that can be evaluated objectively for the complex and aesthetically pleasing structures that they are. C&S Neroli is one of the fragrances that I can view this way. The citrus opening of neroli and orange reaches an impressive intensity without the sense that it has been achieved by chemical means,and it is worth trying this scent just for this brief experience alone. I found the subsequent introduction of Ylang Ylang more difficult to live with, but taking a wider view of this, it is a product that demands and ultimately gains your respect. I regard this as a niche item in almost every way, but on the occasions where I want to smell as interesting as my conversation, this is one to embrace.

neptune11's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Tried this perfume first time when I was in Paris. I'm, personally, like to be different then the other people. Prada Infusion d'Homme definitely can capture my "style". It's different then the other perfume that I have (I'm a perfume collector). And I never had this kind of perfume smell before. It smells very light and very "soapy" indeed. The other thing that I like from this perfume is that it last more than 24 hours! I sprayed this perfume in the afternoon, then in the next day, after I take a shower, it still smells there.
    Well, I give 4 out of 5 stars for this perfume is because in my opinion this perfume is suitable for a mature man. Meanwhile, I'm still a young man. However, I really recommend this perfume for men who has classic, smart and calm style.

ummmily's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I've been wearing this for the last couple of days. I caught a whiff when I opened up the decant, and OMG tar. I don't even know what compelled me to put some on my wrist, because I was completely revolted. On my body, it's actually fairly sweet- in a warm way. I like it, it's dark and sexy. Very unique as well. I'm going to test it out on my husband to be certain, but I just don't see how anyone could pull this off as unisex. It's way too sweet and feminine. Kind of a dark, sadistic vanilla.

yankeeh8er847's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

I've been trying to figure out what it smells like and i think i've got it. To me it smells like a gingery apple-cider with cinnamon. Oddly enough non of those are ingredients, though i'm pretty sure i read somewere that there is cinnamon so the ingredients above may be wrong. to me it is very different and very nice. the cinnamon makes it smell slightly like Calvin Klein's "Man", but that is a little more crisp. this is more aromatic. I love it. the only problem is that it may have a longevity and sillage problem. i've read mixed reviews from some who say it's longevity is amazing and some who say it's very poor. i sprayed some on my wrist at the store and from what i observed it seemed to disipate fairly quickly and after an hour i had to place my hand right on my wrist to smell it. However this may be because it was winter, my skin is dry, the cold inhibited my smell senses, or simply because i didn't put enough and only had it on my wrist rather than my chest and both sides of my neck as well. i picked up a sample but it will hard to draw any conclusions from that because it's a rub-on sample (which i hate) and doesn't have a spritzer. so i can't make any definitive claims about the dry down because either my nose wasn't working right or i didn't spray enough on proper places. However, the smell that you do notice is absolutely amazing. like i said,,, picture warm cider with ginger and cinnamon. i'm not sure how much the ladies would go for this since it's not citrusy or "in your face" but i find it very relaxing and soothing. If the longevity is infact better than i experienced then this is absolutely amazing. I tried John Varvatos (the original one) and i really liked that too, but i love the bite in this!

LEWheir's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Am I the only one this smells like latex on? I loved the top notes when I first sprayed this on, but in a matter of minutes all I could smell was latex. I can't discern any chocolate, vanilla or caramel, just a cloying mess that reminds me of hospitals and dentists' offices. After hearing so many great revews, I'm really disappointed. I wanted this to work so bad, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

911opr's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

OMG is all I can say for this juice! This is some seriously good stuff (imho). Im new to the perfume world but this is like heaven on earth. I get the smokey pipe ,vanilla,musk (i think) and if im not mistaken is that a hint of licorice in there? Its pricey but well worth the investment. I never thought I would like a vanilla fragrance..I was shocked.

mikey_p's avatar

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Icy and sinister, like the frozen earth on a winter morning. This is undoubtably the best iris fragrance I have encountered. Iris to the max without being overwhelming. A masterpiece.

mikey_p's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

Confused packaging that looks like a cross between a piece of dodgy 1960's sculpture and a door knocker, riduculous spaceman marketing and an equally puzzling watery mandarin makes this hard to fathom. A total waste of effort...........if there was any.

perfumefanatic's avatar

Primitif by Max Factor

Aldehyes and patchouli. Reminds me somewhat of Chanel #5, but with a touch of patchouli. Could also be compared to Arpege (vintage).

perfumefanatic's avatar

Khara by Max Factor

This was one of my first perfumes. Recently retried, and to me, its just too many bright, white flowers. Definetly jasmine, could be tuberose as well. Anyone who likes Fracas, Tatiana or Michael Kors would probably like Khara.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

Lilybelle's got Fleur Oriental pegged - Amber * Vanilla * Heliotrope - comforting, powdery sweetness. I don't get much spice either, and frankly I'm shocked to read anyone has found this to be strong or even slightly overpowering at all! These notes perform with restraint. From my perception, I would consider this to be an oriental/gourmand - if there is such a thing, and it comes across decidedly feminine. I'm lovin' this one!

ubuandibeme's avatar

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

Initially, I was very leary of a "new #5". I mean, how do you re-invent the wheel? Much to my suprise, this #5 Eau Premiere is a great fragrance. Retaining the basic genetics of it's mother, EP is born unto a new generation - sans aldehydes and tweaked on the fresh/citrus topnotes. Yet it remains, clearly and undoubtedly #5. Worthy of a full bottle, no question!

gupts's avatar

India India

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

This opens with an accord that reminds me of this 'hair oil' that I used to use as a kid. I just can't seem to shake off this 'hair oil' association from it. I think it as far too much 'jasmine' for my liking. I am not averse to floral fragrances but this is cloying. Ofcourse there is 'rose' lurking somewhere in the background but for me this is definitely a 'jasmine' dominated scent. It also has this powdery characteristic to it. I am shocked that its Hammam bouquet is not even a unisex fragrance because to my nose this should definitely be a woman's fragrance.

sucrose's avatar

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

I smell and citrus and lavender sweetened with vanilla and amber. Although the notes sound promising in theory, I did not like this at all, in fact the ambery sweetness almost made me feel physically sick. Oddly, it does fit with the idea of a Cassanova: the mix of stereotypical masculine notes with over-the-top sweetness. But the result is cloying and not something I'd want to smell on a man. For a better take on a sweet citrus cologne, I'd go for Dior's Cologne Blanche.

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

Probably one of the only perfumes women should wear. Very sensual, prestige smelling, and good for all age groups of girls! I reccomend this!

Cool Water by Davidoff

A very clean, yet artificial smell. I really do enjoy the longevity out of this fragrance(many, many new colognes smell for ten seconds). I just find it a little cheap(but this might be 'cause it's been on the market for 21 years)

Nautica Classic by Nautica

A great smelling cologne, with almost a soapy essence to it. It is cheap and mild, but cake on more! It could almost be a unisex fragrance.

itsthepens's avatar

Duel by Annick Goutal

tried this the other day and.... meh. i was informed of it's 'all natural' pedigree by the SA, which did nothing but prepare me for the shocking longevity - i big spray to the back of my hand was gone in no more than two hours, and severely diminished after one. at first it smelt like lemony wood, like lemon furniture polish on old, varnished wood. i was actually reminded of the shiny, cracked-varnish wood of the benches in the school gymnasium when i was very young. it's very inoffensive really, light, old-style freshness, but i couldnt possibly recommend it, on any grounds. as for tea - there is a mellowness to the scent which is similar to that of of tea, but to me it was just old timber and polish. blah.

itsthepens's avatar

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

this one is confusing to me. the incense was there from the get-go, and is a wonderfully true incense, mellow and soft and evocative, and there was a slightly peppery note which didnt last long. after that however it became 'elderly' on my skin, with an unimpressive flowery-piney-soapy character - i wouldnt mind owning soap smelling of this, and indeed maybe incense or a candle, but the incense/old soapy character was peculiar. i don't know who this would suit - it certainly is flamboyant, but in a way that aging drama teachers can be - like old velvet jackets and lavender soap. the sillage is very good for the first couple of hours, but it did fade to not-muchness after about three.

Public Enema's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

I love this scent even though I have only tried the samples from luckyscent. I hate when I start hearing comments from people saying the store bottle seemd to be not as strong or possibly misnamed. At this price I would love clarity.

DULLAH's avatar

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

Cartier have managed to make a prominent smoky woods accord smell young.
    Didn't think it was possible ?
    Try Declaration Essence.

DULLAH's avatar

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

I expected more mint as well. It has some mint, but really is just a lighter version of Varvatos Vintage/Michael Jordan Cologne (think i'm bullsh!zzing and go smell both, it's the Jordan in the black box.) Not quite what I expected from the pyramid, as so often is the case. Not at all a bad scent. On the good side of neutral.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

Hmmm...this is a dry one. It smells like a baby wearing a diaper with a load of Johnson's baby power in it who just shoved slobbery cherry smarties down that same diaper. Cherry baby powder for me. Now don't get me wrong, cherry is nice and so is baby powder. But here in the grown up world I like to smell like a big girl, not a toddler. Save this one for little ladies who like to smell "sweet and innocent". I like to smell like a smoldering temptress myself :)

jauraistoujoursfaimdetoi's avatar

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

When I read reviews of this perfume it made me feel SO much better. I knew I smelled this perfume before! I couldn't place it. I'll have to put on a pith helmet and get a native New Yorker guide to help me find a store that still sells Paloma Picasso so I can compare. I love loud perfumes, and I so want to like this one, but it smells like old lady. This is the perfume I'd wear on a date with a guy I didn't like.

jauraistoujoursfaimdetoi's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I bought this blind and was SO excited when my roommate brought it back from France. His aunt was shocked I knew about it, and said "she must REALLY be into perfumes." I carefully took it out of the box and sprayed it on. My face fell like a ton of bricks. I don't know perfume jargon well enough to describe why I don't like it, but I don't It doesn't smell like the circus to me. I don't smell cotton candy, leather or sawdust. However, I do detect a hint of elephant poo and it makes me smell like a clown. The closest fragrance I can explain it smells like is Luster's Pink Lotion. I want it out of my house...NOW!

Lorenzzo88's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

seems like an unusual white musk whom soapyness has been taken out to leave only with skin, hair and sebum, the whole thing without trace of any «dirtiness» or even warmth for instance. Like someone stepped out of the shower and did'nt use any soap or shampoo. Probably little more complicated than that actualy. A perfume designed not only to not smell of perfume but to smell of nothing at all but the person who is wearing it. So what's the point of doing something like this? Perhaps to see how far can you push the concept (or anti-concept ;) of abstraction or minimalism in contemporary perfume art? Perhaps to fool customers and perfume enthusiasts? Perhaps to make a big joke? I don't know but I had never smelled any thing like this before.

Ps: Am I crazy or do I smell l'Antimatière in Encens Flamboyant by Goutal?