Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

jagmartini's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

I'm not sure about this one:

I saw it on the counter in Macy's and on a whim sprayed some on my hand. My girl proceeded to make multiple attempts to gnaw my hand off for the next six hours.

All I smelled was an orange...maybe some ginger/cinnamon or whatever other spices are in this stuff; the combination gave me dry heaves.

I asked my girl what she smelled and all she said was "mmmmm," while practically drooling from first spray to dry down.

Not something I'd buy for myself, but I told her I'd wear it for her and only her, if she were to leave a bottle on my pillow.

In the meantime, I'll stick to my Chanel Allure Sport. Cant go wrong with it, and we both love it.

Noraed's avatar

Noa by Cacharel

Musky, fresh, light and soft scent.
    It is a Floral - Woody Musk type of perfume.
    The notes are:
    · Top notes: Peach, Plum, Freesia, Green note
    · Heart note: Lily of the valley, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang
    · Base note: Cedarwood, Sandal, Vanilla, Tonka
    Recommended for those who dislike strong perfumes.
    My mom and my ant bought it twice and it is their second favourite, that is how much charming it is.
    The pearl idea is so adorable.
    It is a very lovely perfume. To me this perfume is a symbol of purity.

Tony T's avatar

Danielle by Danielle Steel

floral and fantastic. 20 - 35 year old range. not fantasctic but definately sexy.

tanto's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

There is something about Egoiste that I like very much but, I can not put my finger on it. It is very different and like no other frag on the market. I live in NYC and this is almost impossible to find anywhere. Too bad, I would gladly purchase it again.

Prokroustis's avatar

Greece Greece

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

A magic sweet gourmand fragrance for all seasons, it just does the trick! Longevity is great, too, and if you are in big need of compliments, wearing it solves your problem! I personally will stick with this.

Prokroustis's avatar

Greece Greece

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Smells great with virtually any weather and season, a sweet, spicy aroma not offending to anyone. Longevity is ok too. Another thing in the pros, it doesn't get boring, ever! A fragrance that should be looked at.

jonnyt's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

A very rich and opulent fragrance as you'd expect for the price.
    The pachouli smells quite creamy with the rum and musk in the background and I find the balance very good. I like the Montale ouds but they're a bit strong for me and I like the Serge Luterns range but find them a bit soft so this is the perfect mix for me.
    It's definitely unisex as the flowery top-notes are balanced with the deep base.
    When my sample runs out I'll be hoping they've dropped the price somewhat.
    Definitely one of the niche fragrances that smells as expensive as it is.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

After many years since my first spritz, I tried this again. What a bright little floral! It is like putting your nose into a bouquet of wildflowers without any of the greenery and "do-dads" that go with those bouquets from the florist. It is an uncomplicated, light & airy affair for those who are young or who are young at heart. Don't pass on this one because of the inexpensive price or the overexposure! Only a genius knows that sometimes less really IS more. And this fragrance has remarkable staying power for such a quiet little thing. In a word...Beautiful. PS I tried this on a hot summer day and I love the lily-suede notes in the drydown.

23rd January, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2009)

Dune by Christian Dior

Dune is to orientals what Apes L'Ondee is to florals. It is a contradition within itself. Dune is a thin, dry, arid perfume (vetiver?) not unlike the desert that the name implies. Yet, at the same time, it is warm like the sun on that desert (amber!). I have been searching all winter to find an ambery scent that is not as heavy as Shalimar (a favorite), but one that radiates warmth. How could I have forgotten Dune? Turin and Sanchez call it "the bleakest beauty in all of perfumery". They are so right!

23rd January, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2009)

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I used this once in the 70's and now I know why I never went back for more. It is Giorgio's Red (which did come later) on steroids! After a jaw dropping, headache inducing open, this fragrance drydown is all hay (vetivier). After a horrible day, night and next day, I could not get rid of the smell in spite of several scrubbings. (Now I won't wear Red, either.) I purchased the lotion & shower gel which is usable, but I can't imagine who wears this stuff. So much for Turin and Sanchez...

Max1mu51's avatar

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

I must say I do like this stuff, however as Sir Slarty had mentioned something that really stuck out to me "rich amber base". I found that I really like amber. It's a very calming, very smooth scent that adds life. But the amber coupled with vanilla makes it a bit too sweet for me. Pardon me for a moment... Hey Zegna! strip that vanilla out of there and I would go buy a bottle right now. I digress! I will have to admit because of this fact I do prefer polo black over this. They both follow the same lines but where that sweet smoothness of intenso gets to become somewhat of a bother to me, the sharpness of polo black carries itself over. Now for the plus points. Intenso is very well executed, the light and dark theme they are going for has been mission accomplished. Great longevity, lasted on my skin for about 8-10 hours but the only thing I smell at that point is the vanilla and amber before mentioned.

archibald's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Although there's apparently plenty of research indicating that both men and women find food smells incredibly evocative, arousing even, most of the gourmand fragrances I've tried feel more like novelty items ("Hey, you smell just like my grandma's Chocolate Delight Bars!!") than important pieces of a stylish person's wardrobe. New Haarlem somehow works as the latter, largely because it avoids the big pitfall that ruins most of the gourmands I've tried: combos that work on a plate tend to smell cloyingly literal on skin. Flowery herbs with chocolate? Not on my desert tray either, thanks. But in New Harlem, the notes form a great counterpoint to the coffee with cream and raw sugar accord--interesting and almost un-foody. The coffee does smell like a triple venti 2% latte, but its roasted aspect also functions like cedar might in a non-gourmand. New Haarlem is completely wearable, and will probably be the only food frag I'll ever buy.

I'm fast becoming a big fan of Bond #9. When I bought Chez Bond and Riverside Drive the nice lady at Saks tossed a sample of everything else in the bag. With a couple of exceptions I find most of the line completely unique. A few are definitely clones, but (also with an exception or two) represent improvements on their models.

teoman's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Antaeus by Chanel

My all time evening top scent. (GIT for day wear)
    Masculine, elegant, stong are the best words to describe Antheus. Smell classy from top to bottom.
    Eventhough i am not a fan of 80s powerhouse fragrances, Antheus makes its own way.
    You definatly need to try this awesome fragrance. Probably the only scent that i own that doesnt remind me any other scent.
    Unique!!!
    My rating: 9.5/10

tale's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

A definite no go for me...
    At first I smell a lot of lavender which is ok but not exactly a scent I want to smell on me, later it starts to get very cloying and way too flowery. It's for sure a scent that you either love or hate or maybe it depends on the skin as well.

decillisjl's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

okay i might be going out on a very long, thin, fragile limb here... i just got this today after buying it blind, and after a half hour the first thing that comes to mind is... cerruti image... not that it's bad image was one of my mainstays in '99, but there is something to the "uniqueness" of the ingredients used that doesn't feel so "unique" to me... the initial blast is all spice and date, but i'm just entering the middle notes and i can't help feeling like I'm getting ready for the millenium new year's bash all decked out and doused with image... i'm not even getting the vanilla yet and it's incredibly hard to decipher the individual notes (probably because i have never had the opportunity to smell indian ajowan, but i'm pretty sure nobody on this site really has)... all in all a great fragrance so far but i'll wait another half hour and will be better able to make a judgement call

TimNRA757's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I think I echo most when I say it's a good scent but goes away quickly. I do like it quite well actually. I would much rather they bring back BY...

windfield's avatar

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

I find the opening not impressive maybe because of the pepper scent which makes it strong. The dry down was great. I could still smell the lavender notes all throughout and I could still sniff it on my wrist for six hours. The tonka and musk combination gives it a dark personality. This is the type of scent I could wear in my melancholic times. It is not loud but very intimate.

Maybe Baby by Benefit

Seductive, sexy, strong and very grown up, I agree with rtamara41 it makes you want to slip into 'something more comfortable' then shimmy right on out of it !

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

Sunflowers is a lovely fragrance, its inexpensive here in the U.K but shines so much brighter than other inexpensive frags. I find it very distinctive, I cant think of another that is like it. This is the frag that can take you back to summer holidays, school days and great days. Also I love the simplicity of the bottle and box design.I feel it is great for any age too, I wore it throughout high school and my mother wears it today...timeless.

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I used to adore this in my youth then as I grew up I went off it. I was given a bottle as a gift last year so thought I had better get it 'used up'. I kept it in my desk drawer at work and sprayed it after I had a cigarette so it had its use. The funny thing about this one is people have strong reactions to it, two ladies in my office practically drooled when I sprayed it and insisted of having a quick squirt themselves, they just loved it !! the rest of my office however found it too sweet, too girle and too cloying. Everyone should try it to judge for themselves.

Fig Leaf by Demeter Fragrance Library

Perfectly acceptable fragrance from demeter. This is a "pick me up cologne" as are most of demeters collection so dont expect it to last long on the skin. I purchased the cologne, shower gel and body lotion as a gift set and both my boyfriend and I use them and I must say the smell of the shower gel really radiates out if the shower room and floats all about the house , it smells of a dewy leaf and also holidays in the med, I would heartily recommed this but layer the fragrance with the body lotion and shower gel if you want it to really last and turn heads.

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

This is a brave fragrance for a brave man, I applaud men who wear this as to me it is 'unmanly' but that is what makes it so special , it is daring and deep and any man who wears this in the same room as me will most certainly turn my head.

Beautiful Sheer by Estée Lauder

I really like this one although I'm not sure I like it on me, I smell pear, rose and tobacco in this, it is fresh and long lasting and will always be a head turner. I just dont think the frag suits me personally, and I found this out after buying a 75ml bottle, such is life !

Treselle Silver by Avon

I am such a fool, I purchased this because I really like treselle, this one was on offer so I guessed I should have it , it arrived I could not find a single redeeming feature about it , this frag is just wrong , stick with treselle avoid silver at all costs.

L'Eau D'Issey Summer 2005 by Issey Miyake

Imagine putting a teaspoon of l'eau d'issey into a bath tub , then filling the bath tub with cold water and finally adding 2 slices of cucumber, right , hold that image, imagine the scent.... got it ? Well that is the scent of LEDI summer. And just to rub salt into the wound it doesnt last for more than a minute on skin and maybe two minutes on fabric. I really wanted to love this but i was bitterly disappointed.

Satsuma by Body Shop

Gosh this is nice ! and really smells juicy and it reminds me of stockings full of satsumas at christmas. I wore a sample of it all day and it was quite nice but I only commited to buying a timy bottle of the home fragrance oil. When I burned the oil at home it was so strong I could taste it ! , good but in wee small doses.

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

Better than white musk for ladies by a mile, fresh and intriguing this is one of my boyfriends favorites and thusly one of mine !

Dewberry Perfume Oil by Body Shop

The girls changing room in my middle school reeked of dewberry in all its forms (oil, body spray, perfume, deo and lotion) It is a lovely fruity little number that will be great on a teenage girl and fantastic in an oil burner or spritzed on curtains for non teenagers, that said though I'm sure non teenagers would smell great in the summer by the paddling pool wearing this.

Sheer Stella (2006 version) by Stella McCartney

I sprayed my left arm with this in an airport duty free shop i quite liked at, but my nose was being assaulted with all the perfumes. 6 hours later i arrives at my hotel in Rome and lay on the bed with my arm by my head and MY GOODNESS it smelt just glorious, as well as the rose there was the clean cotton base wafting up at me smelling heavenly. Another few hours later i was strolling up the via appia antica and I could still smell it, perhaps I am loking at this frag through rose tinted glasses due to the fragrance of SS and the stunning views ? who knows , who cares I just loved it and I have yet to buy a bottle, I'm just waiting for Rome again.

WhiteY's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Pi by Givenchy

I agree Pi is overwhelmingly sweet, but, if applied moderately, it could just come off right.