Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Zwikman's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I really do not know how people can say anything bad about this cologne.
    Perhaps its just the way it mixes with my natural scent, however i don't think Ive ever worn this cologne without a compliment from a lady.

It's Subtle but yet sexy and magnetic

only bad thing i can say about it is it does not last that long.. perfect for dates when anything can happen.

if you want ladies to notice you id pick this, however if you yourself are not masculine you could come off as feminine.

23rd January, 2009

poetess's avatar

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

I was in high school when Pleasures came out, and every parent in the school must have put a gift set under the tree. I will forever associate the scent with those days, which is a nice memory. I think it smells lovely on many women - clean and classic, not overwhelmingly floral. Unfortunately, it gives me a headache if I wear it myself. It isn't the most exciting scent, but I think it's an excellent choice to give to a young woman just starting out in fragrance. Like most Lauders, silage and lasting power are excellent.

23rd January, 2009

JaimeB's avatar

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

Something round and woody, fruity and oriental under this green floral. Some people think this is death by tuberose, but I find it deep and anything but screechy. After a few minutes, this is not so much about white florals as it is about oriental base notes and fruit wood. A very fine EdP by Guerlain. Can this be worn by men? Be patient, men, and see how this dries down on your skin. If you are lucky, it might just work for you!

jrd4t's avatar

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

It's pretty good, but nothing I got that excited about. It's a bit non-descript and boring aquatic/citrus/floral. There's a gummy character to it that has some interest but overall it just never did much for me. The same thing from my girlfriend: "it's not bad I guess... but nothing special."

jrd4t's avatar

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

Nothing good about this. It's about as boring and generic as any other aquatic ho hum designer scent. I sprayed it on my arm at Bloomies earlier based on some good reviews and I've regretted it since. It reminds me of Aqua di Gio, which is not a good thing at all. I tried to wash this off when I got home but it won't come off. At least it's tenacious. :)
    Thumbs way down.

AnthonyDG's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

When I first tried BdP on my actual skin it was a few days before Christmas - an unusually cold and snowy season this year on the west coast. I'd tried BdP on spray cards in stores over the years but never had I decided to actually apply it to my skin.

So I did.. and I was blown away - Bois du Portugal is pure elegance. Not only does it whisk me away into a world of luxury and true, classic style - I feel comfortable wearing it. I don't see myself wearing this one for casual occasions, but it has to be THE #1 formal fragrance. I will never get tired of this one, as it reinvents itself every time I wear it.

The longevity? Superb. Sillage? Superb. Price? You get what you pay for, bottom line.

I think people who label a fragrance as "old man" or "outdated" need to broaden their horizons. Be skeptical of the folks who write these things - I would challenge those peoples' sense of appreciation for the finer things in life after writing something like that.. but everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Now I can't imagine being without a bottle of this masterpiece and I think every positive review here is justified. Wear this classic fragrance in good health and enjoy the vivid journey from glorious start to finish!

24th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2009)

AnnaBanana's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

This smells bitter to me, too, rather like tobacco! Could that be the incense? And the sweetness smells almost too sweet--dare I say synthetic? Not at all the natural aura of the other AA's I've had. Rats!

Excelsior's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

A nice, straightforward gourmand. Not particularly dynamic on me, but good at what it does. The chocolate note really dominates, and it's braced by some very fresh notes that keep it from being overpowering. It's too bad the bergamot doesn't stick around longer, because I think the opening is probably the best part. As good or better than Angel, I think, but more cost-effective. The one thing I dislike about this is the bottle design, which looks like the bathroom of a very cheesy casino from the 1980s.

Asha's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Allure Homme Edition Blanche starts with refreshing citrus--mostly grapefruit with a touch of lemon and lime. I love grapefruit, but what has kept me from enjoying it in most fragrances is either the tendency for the grapefruit to get a little sweaty and urinous, or, in the case of highly synthetic grapefruit notes, the unchanging linearity which becomes boring and a little too overwhelming. I am pretty sure AHEB contains at least some natural citrus, because the scent is changing, deepening, becoming less of a zesty, fresh squeezed citrus and more like a glass of fresh grapefruit juice. I am also beginning to smell mandarine orange, which is pleasantly sweet--it softens the bitter edge of the grapefruit, and slightly covers the fact that the grapefruit is decomposing into its usual sulfuric compounds. Underneath the citrus I smell herbal notes--rosemary and perhaps an evergreen such as spruce. The development has been slow and steady, and an hour in, still has a pleasing citrus herbal tone, even though there is a bit of sharpness from the grapefruit.

Further into the development, the grapefruit is undoubtedly urinous and sufuric. I never find the ending stage of grapefruit pleasant, but there are some other notes in AHEB which mask it a bit. The fragrance has turned a bit more powdery, and the sweet base notes are starting to come forward more. I smell some faint florals, but nothing that is particularly recognizable. The sweetness could be vanilla or tonka, which might account for the powdery note. Unfortunately, the degraded grapefruit is really ruining this fragrance for me. The effect in the drydown is stale, oxidized grapefruit with weak perfumy powder. Sadly, it has really fallen apart and does not seem to be taking a desperately needed turn for the better. In the deep drydown, the grapefruit is more tolerable, but still recalls its earlier ugly sulfuric stage. The soft powder and vanilla does help, but there are times that the vanilla and grapefruit combine to give an orange flavored baby-aspirin effect. This is definitely not a dreamy drydown that I can sink into.

Asha's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Guerlain Homme EDT

Notes: Lime, Pelargonium, Bergamot, Green Tea, Mint, Rhubarb, Cedarwood, Sugarcane, Rum, Vetiver (from Sephora.com)

Guerlain Homme starts with the much advertised "mojito" accord of mint and buttery sugar with refreshing lime. This phase fun but mercilessly short as a traditional lavender and geranium accord take over to eclipse the top notes. The middle development consists of this same herb blend, only slightly attenuated and mentholated with vestiges of the mint. Then an accord of tobacco and leather, or perhaps tea, become more apparent as the herbs continue to fade. This stage is very pleasant--there is a nice balance between sweet and sharp, and the green freshness continues with faint traces of the lavender and geranium along with vetiver. The base is very warm, and is comprised of vanilla (or tonka), a soapy, leathery musk and Iso E Super.

There is nothing particularly outstanding about Guerlain Homme, especially when compared to other men's designer fragrances. In fact, GH is pretty much a standard-fare fougere. However, there is a sort of "X" factor here, and perhaps Guerlain has found the sweet spot where they can have a potentially popular scent which is also well crafted. I was expecting to dislike the fragrance, and even though I don't find it particularly masterful or ground-breaking, I am enjoying it a great deal. The drydown is sweet, but is not the old "guerlinade" of resins, musk and powdery vanilla. I am impressed with this composition as a lithe, modern and youthful fragrance which reaches from the roots of a classic fragrance form.

Guerlain Homme Intense

I am not sure I have much more to add regarding Guerlain Homme Intense, which I had the pleasure of testing side-by-side with the original Guerlain Homme. I have read comments to the effect that GHI "fixes" everything that was "wrong" with GH. Well, I like the original, so in my opinion, there was nothing really lacking. GHI is unmistakably a close relation to the original, with a stronger, slightly sweaty herbal accord in the opening that masks the mint note even more than in GH. The lime note is nearly nonexistent in GHI. In the drydown, Intense has stronger leather or tea-like notes, and considerably more Iso E Super in the base. The longevity and sillage are much better than GH, so that will be a big plus for many wearers. Personally, I still prefer the original Guerlain Homme because it seems more balanced, slightly softer and clean. I can understand why men would prefer the Intense variation, though--overall it smells more strikingly masculine. Unfortunately, to my nose, the parts of GHI that were "amped up" to make it stronger and longer lasting also destroy some of the delicacy I sensed in the original composition. In comparison, GHI seems more heavy and blunt--good, but not as deft. Having said that, deciding between the two will ultimately be a matter of personal taste. Both renditions are equally easy to wear.

24th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 13th December, 2009)

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

I love both ginger and nutmeg, but as others have mentioned this fragrance not have enough of the former. The wonderfuly spicy opening, that promises forthcoming delights, quickly disappoints and settles down to a rather tepid nutmeg 'solispice.' I wouldn't mind the nutmeg-only part, because I suspect it would layer beautifully with some of my simpler vanilla scents, but even this part doesn't last more than an hour on my skin, and then the entire fragrance disappears completely. Definitely not worth the price for my particular skin chemistry, but if yours holds on to fragrance and you like nutmeg, it's worth a try.

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

This is delightful. A warm and spicy red fruit scent, opening with a terrific waft of clove and citrus. It reminds me of those homemade orange pomander balls studded with cloves, the ones that you place in your closet to make it smell good. After the opening of clove and spice, the fruit emerges, including a fermented, wine-y note that hovers over a base that's woody, sharp and dry. Very nice, very grown-up, NOIR most definitely! Love this.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

An animalic citrus! I get loads of gorgeous bitter orange and bergamot, and then Bigarade Concentree becomes very ripe and sexy in a 'sweaty man' sort of way. That must be the cumin. Very interesting. Unlike other reviewers, I find this quite masculine and cannot imagine wearing it myself, even though there are many masculine fragrances I DO love and wear. This must remain on my 'smells great on others' list, and I have purchased this for several male friends. MOST attractive on them!

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

I loved this in the store, and the bottle just added to my delight. Once home it went unused because I made the mistake of reading Luca and Tania's review, where they refer to the Delices EdT as 'vile fruity.' As a newbie to the world of fragrance, I decided I must be wrong, and couldn't possibly like this 'fruity vile' (as they called the perfume). I took one sniff and was subsequently and irrationally biased against my purchase! Okay, now back to the fragrance which I decided to re-try, and I DO like it. Yes it's sweet--I like sweet! Yes it's a bit heavy handed, but the excess is great for this time of year. And there is a hint of booze (kirsch others have mentioned) which I'm quite partial to. After the initial blast of candied FRUIT the subsequent development is quite nice. Warmly sweet, slightly vanillic, a hint of liqueur, and VERY pretty I've re-found the love. Now WHY did I sell my bottle?! :)

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Beautiful deep green Ivy. Ivy ivy ivy. Eau de Lierre is very nice if a realistic ivy note is what you crave, otherwise it may not be your cup of tea!

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Oh my gosh, this fragrance brings back such great memories. Memories of spring camping in the high desert of Joshua Tree National Monument. The scent of the campfires, the scrub and brush, even the smooth jumbo rocks the area is famous for. L'Air du Desert Marocain really evokes a 'scentscape' for me and I love it! I may not want to wear it often, but I definitely need to have it around for the sniffing.

Patchouli Arawak by Ligne St Barth

A sweet take on the earthiness of patchouli. Over time the sweetness becomes less pronounced, and a metallic note of clean dirt emerges. Then the fragrance stays fairly linear. It has moderate longevity (4-6 hours) and sillage. Not my favorite patchouli based scent (and definitely not my favorite from this line), but if you love patchouli it's worth trying. :)

Volo AZ 686 by Profumum

A weirdly wonderful fragrance. Not for me, but its got charm to spare. The notes are coconut, vanilla and gardenia but the opening suggests camphor and aromatic rings! It's a very loud opening salvo, almost too loud, but just wait a little while and a beautiful, warm, slightly woody and dry gardenia emerges. I've never smelled anything like it--a must try for anyone who loves them some niche!

everso's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Didn't like this at all. Lotsa cloves and cinnamon.....not much interesting in here at all...just a bit boring and middle-of-the-road...sorta smells like a spicy candle.......next!

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

The fragrance with a dominance of floral: neroli & rose but surely a very masculine composition (not as one of Fleur d’ male). Dunhill Desire-Red is a very balanced mix of floral with citruses, apple, woods and musk. It has a fair lasting and silage but for me it is none of such fragrances that can be used for daily wear. A romantic wear to stimulate the senses of the loved one!! Has its own class due to the distinction it carries.

Ananya by Body Shop

Unique, feminine, rosy, mature, and daring scent.
    The perfume smells like a rose bomb and is quite strong.

Top notes: bergamot, peach, melon, coconut, violet.
    Middle notes: jasmine, rose, freesia, tuberose, ylang ylang.
    Base notes: sandalwood, cedar, vanilla, musk.

Used to be available in ETD, but unfortunately it is no longer in production.

Amarige by Givenchy

It is one of those scents that are difficult to describe.
    But I can say that it is a mature, feminine, and extraordinary scent.
    It is a Floral - Orange Tuberose type of perfume.

Top notes: Plum, Peach, Orange Blossom, Violet.
    Heart note: Ynag-Ylang, Jasmine, Tuberose, Black Currant.
    Base note: Casmerande, Musk, Sandal, Vanilla.

I find it daring, flirty, and sexy. It is suitable for special occasions.
    But I must say it is more wearable on ladies than girls.
    It is a very popular perfume and I too think it will stand the test of time.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Very sweet and clean scent with a strong caramel scent.
    It is an Oriental - Vanilla type of perfume.

Top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin.
    Heart note: Passion Fruit, Peach, Apricot.
    Base note: Patchouli, Vanilla, Chocolate, Caramel.

I find it glamorous, luxurious, and posh. Other might find it overly sweet.
    But if you like it, try Wish by Chopard, which is also an Oriental - Vanilla type of perfume.
    I would not recommend Angel for those who dislike sugary smelling perfumes.

Chrome by Azzaro

Watery, musky, citrusy, and woody scent.
    It is a chic, luxurious, aromatic and an outstanding perfume.
    It is a Citrus - Aromatic type of perfume.
    My husband bought 3 bottles of this one.

V by Valentino

Very mature, rosy, sophisticated and warm scent.
    It is a Floral - Woody Musk type of perfume.

Top notes: Tangerine, Pink Grapefruit, Green Fig, Freesia.
    Heart note: Rose, Orange Blossom, Heliotrope.
    Base note: Mysore Sandalwood, Atlas Cedar, Amber, Musk.

The perfume is very romantic and its strong rosy scent makes it extremely feminine, which should make you stand out from the crowd.
    Suitable for special occasions.

L by Lolita Lempicka

Very strong vanilla scent with a little cinnamon and orange scent.
    It is a heavy and very sweet perfume.
    It is a Oriental - Vanilla type of perfume.

When I tried it in the shop it was sweet and a little spicy. Unfortunately after I bought it I started feeling nauseous and sick by its overwhelmingly sweet scent. I could not stand it no matter how much I tried.

Not recommended for those who dislike sugary smelling perfumes.
    The bottle design might indicate that is a light and cool watery scent, where it is not. However, it is a brilliant bottle design.

Leesee's avatar

Murasaki by Shiseido

A lovely, soft, impeccably balanced floral with a wonderful tinge of galbanum and a velvety, talc-y drydown, this scent has been in my wardrobe since 1981. It works in any weather, for any occasion, and it is never too much -- it is just exquisite and restrained perfection. Too bad it is not easier to obtain, as others have pointed out. But then, that only makes it that much more special.

Leesee's avatar

Le Temps d'Une Fête by Nicolaï

Clean, green, and modern, yet classical at the same time, with a lovely surge of narcissus at the forefront, and a honeyed, warm, and lush drydown, this scent is as circumspect as it is charming. Thoroughly engaging!

bbBD's avatar

To See A Flower by CB I Hate Perfume

This was included, at my wife's request, in my second order of samples from CB. I'm starting to get it. My first order included Gingerbread, which doesn't just smell of gingerbread but rather its components, butter, cream, sugar, ginger, etc. and then by the base the composition smells of its name.

Likewise with To See a Flower. One experiences walking into a greenhouse or flower case at a florist. One smells the soil, stems, leaves and earthy aspects of a flower before the base develops into a sweeter, more traditional floral accord with hints of the green aspects of flowers. It's really quite brilliant. I sampled the absolute/extrait, so I'm not sure how the water-based EdP would differ, if at all.

While I appreciate the artistry, this isn't something I'd wear. My wife loves it, however, and a bottle will probably forthcoming as a gift to her.

newgabe's avatar

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

Yech. I am thinking that the positive reviews of this stuff are written by member/publicists! LIke Elf, I yawned at the immediate fake vanilla intro. Half an hour later couldn't wait to wash off the stomach dropping mid note that reminded me of another horrible modern 'buy it for the name' job, Prada. Was that supposed to be jasmine? I don't like jasmine but at least I can usually recognise it. Orange and ginger I like but I couldn't detect them either. You couldn't pay me to wear this. btw The bottle I tried had the black squeezer I thought came with the 'Elixir' but was not labelled that.