Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

reveillee's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

This one grows on you. After multiple wears you really start to see the quality of the scent. As with most Creeds longevity is moderate at best.

02 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2013)

reveillee's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

Hey at least it's a long lasting Creed. That's a plus.
    Sweet. Less crude Joop. Smells synthetic and wish I could differentiate the sandalwood more.

02 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2013)

rogalal's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Lime by Comme des Garçons

Seeing, and buying, a little bottle of CDG Lime at a boutique was the first time I realized that there were scents available that they didn't sell at Macys. I had unwittingly purchased my first niche perfume...

At first, I loved Lime because it was fruity and fun. Then I decided that it smelled too artificial, like lime-flavored starburst candies, and avoided it for quite a while. Now that I can understand the notes and subtleties better, I appreciate it more, but still find it too sweet.

So what does it smell like? Lime, of course, but made sparkly on top with some aldehydes and very sugary sweet. That weird CDG plasticky house note hums along quietly in the background like a hot copy machine, while the rest of the perfume is set up like a traditional lime cologne with lime blossom and soapy petitgrain supporting, with judicious neroli extending the citrus smell into the basenotes and adding sweetness to the whole thing.

I still find it too sweet for my tastes, though I now understand that it's the combination of neroli and lime blossom that's doing that. And I still find the quiet plactic smell combined with the sweetness to give off a cheap "flavorant" vibe. I'll give it a neutral rating. It's not terrible, but if I ever manage to finish this tiny bottle, there's no way I'd replace it...

02 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2014)

gmm150's avatar

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Surprising good for a department store fragrance. One of the few samples I tried that I actually bought. Light with citrus top notes. Dry down reminds me of Baldessarini (which I think is nice) but a bit more woody with a slight tobacco/leather note. Like Baldessarini, Vera Wang suffers from lack of longevity. I guess I will just spray 2 more sprays than I usually due which should solve the problem :)

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Supposedly to contain the highest concentration of Vetiver on the market, VE has the sharpest and bitterest opening on the planet dominated by an ozonic, raw vetiver, pepper and a hint of bergamot followed by a dry woody drydown devoid of any sweetness. Unfortunately longevity and sillage on human skin are very poor and frequent reapplications costly. To get the most of it, spray it on your clothes as well, where it wonderfully stays for several days.

03 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 June, 2009)

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Mazzolari Lui by Mazzolari

This is one elegant werewolf of a scent. I can only add my praise to what vibert, foetidus, and joe_frances have described in such vivid detail - and even the ad copy gets it right on this one, when it speaks of savagery robed in refinement. There is that rich purple brocade of mature patchouli on the verge of decaying decadence, the smell of polished leather saddle with sweet stable aromas in the back and there is a musky sledgehammer which I find could have been toned down just a bit, as its syntheticness can overwhelm the bountiful naturals here, which have been so ably amplified, and which rudely pushes aside the spicy and floral complements that round this composition off so well. Thankfully this effect is more noticeable on paper than on skin, where the musk blends in better and Lui works true wonders. Slip into your bespoke tuxedo, lead the pack, howl at the moon and fascinate the ladies.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Punono by Saffron James Parfums

If you enjoy the pikake flower, this frag is sure to please. I agree with SirSlarty about the over ripe banana in the top notes, kind of pungent and fermented. Punono is strong, and somewhat exotic. I personally don't care for pikake, as it reminds me of a bad public restroom freshener. Difficult to wear. As for the Saffron James offerings, Nani and L'ea are much more to my liking and equally unique.

03 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Oaksbluff's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

If you give this scent only 2 minutes before moving on to the next tester, you will be given the intense redolence of Slim Jims.

However, LM is a payoff of patience. What unfolds from this opening is a combination of woods, smoke, tar... all highly wearable. Andy Tauer is one of the best creators of scents that unfold in a circular way; they begin, they evolve, but throughout the development of the frangrances (often a very long time) there is a constant self-referencing to notes along the way. An olfactory equivalent of wandering in a labyrinth.

Personally, I find this far more wearable than many of the other uber-man scents out there. No, LM is not balanced in its yin and yang, but that is not the point. This is an exquisite evocation of the American West from an outsider who trained his eye and distilled the essence of his ideas into perfume. Not for everyone, but then again, that's often the case with great works of art.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I work with the public and I have tried many perfumes and pay attention to what people say or don't say about them. Hands down, this perfume is the biggest attention getter in my fragrance wardrobe. I've been chased down by men and women alike that ask me what on earth I'm wearing that smells SO good. They have even gone so far as to ask me to write it down for them on several occasions. People don't just love this one, they adore it. It's so rich and powerful, and that may be why there are so many people who dislike it. It's strange, exotic and heavy. Potent, narcotic even. If you are a kitten who likes pretty little scents, run away. But if you're a Panther strutting your urban jungle, slinking along self-assured and slaying 'em along the way-grab this one as fast as you can and be prepared to fascinate and bewitch people's senses!

03 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 January, 2009)

No. 5 by Chanel

After many wearings it finally happened. I bought a mini of the parfum and the angels trumpeted from the heavens! Okay, a bit of an overstatement, but like a number of others have pointed out, the concentrations are different and the parfum is the charm for me. It's not the aldehydes that made me shy away from other concentrations. I adore them in so many other perfumes, particularly in Chanels. The parfum simply has a richness that smooths everything out. The aldehydes are a bit muted, the floral heart notes seem to blend more thoroughly and the ambery, slightly animalic base is perfectly warm and sensual.

Gianfranco Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

Gianfranco Ferre possesses a versatility lacking in so many florals. This is light enough for daywear, but with a buttery tuberose note that is substantial enough to induce an eyelash-fluttering sigh. On my skin, tuberose predominates, once the initial opening of orange blossom settles down. Hints of honeysuckle are also apparent, but they are just that...hints. The other heart notes are very well blended and they simply support the whole. The base is a subtle, soft, dry musk which serves as a perfect platform for the floral notes. This is the perfect floral for me, slightly tuberose-phobic person that I am. It works.

03 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2009)

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

Though not groundbreaking, Ferre for Him is a subtle scent based on iris (supposedly "black iris"). Granted, I would wear iris scents almost daily and spritz them on the dogs if my family would let me, but there is a difference between poorly and well-executed iris and this one is nicely done. The top notes open with a fresh and slightly green note and give way to a fairly classical heart of iris flower, rose, jasmine, geranium, orange blossom etc. The base is what gives it a powdery feel and perhaps what some are describing as lipstick. There are a lot of heavy notes in there: vanilla, tonka beans, woods, musk and amber. Despite this, the scent remains soft and very light.

I wear it frequently and I love it on my teenage son. I don't think that it is the right fragrance for my husband, who demands more of a powerhouse scent. Nevertheless, if he wore it, I think I would still like it.

AnnaBanana's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

Oh, I SO prefer Mentafolia to the more-lauded Herba Fresca. Herba is harder (and more expensive) to come by, but the discontinued-yet-less-inexpensive Mentafolia, in my opinion, is prettier, fresher, cooler, more floral, and a balm on hot days.

yasarzongur's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

a long lasting fruity and sweet aquatic, but quite different from the original Chrome

03 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2009)

Gblue's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium is a real powerhouse. I’ve only applied one spray and it certainly projects very well, and this is only the Eau de Toilette … I’d love to experience the parfum!
    Opium opens with a powdery, sweet Cinnamon note. Slightly spicy and exactly as I remember it from years ago when Mum would wear either this or Coco whenever she left the house.
    20 minutes in, the powder is still present on top of what smells to me of rotting petals. Pungent, and I’ve been told “overpowering”. I disagree!
    The powder gives way to a warm, almost leathery but not quite, Vanilla/Jasmine combination. It’s a clean Jasmine, if you’re wondering.
    Then, I get what can only be described as burned vegetation on top of kola kubes (much like Youth Dew), which moves on to a balsamic, oily, ‘thick’ note and the powderyness returns, and it reminds me of the strong Sandalwood note that was found in Samsara all those years ago - these days, Samsara is a watered down charicature of it’s old self. Sad times.
    Long into the drydown is one of the most beautiful Incense notes you are likely to find outside of Comme des Garcons fragrances, the Incense is very soft and it draws people in. It’s worth the ride. Opium is delicious and incredibly addictive. I think it could work for me, if I apply it sparingly.

Gblue's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I like Opium pour Homme. I like it a lot, but I don’t know if I’m ‘mature’ enough yet for this one. It smells beyond my years. I’ve never liked to thing that fragrances have an age bracket, but perhaps 23 is too young to wear some scents.
    First spray reminds me of bay rum, or maybe Gaultier2. It’s boozy and very Vannilic.
    The booze note evaporates quickly, and leaves me with a herbal, aromatic scent that reminds me of Jicky, but nowhere near as animalic.opiumph
    There is a slightly Peppered, soft Ginger note. It’s not an abrasive, OTT Ginger, like the one used in Dior Homme Sport.
    Driesdown into a soft, sweet Cedar and aromatic scent and the Lavender is what strikes me most at this stage. This is what smells too grown up about Opium for me. I’ll have to keep Opium for years, just to see if I ever feel like I’m mature enough for it.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

L'Homme Sage by Divine

From my old post last year:

IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated. How often do we see threads on Divine? I have recently finished my sample of L'homme Sage and have been considering whether it is bottle-worthy or not. Here's what I thought of it:

L'homme Sage begins with a spicy blast of aromatic saffron and cardamom that recalls an Indian spice market that I have often passed through in my youth, which melds in beautifully with the bitter-sweet citrus that is hidden together with some subtle notes of fruit. (lychee I say) We are then lead by the trail of smoky incense through the woods with little flowers along the way into a base of very lovely patchouli and amber that is complimented by some very pleasant wood notes. By that time, we have already reached a wooden log cabin -- filled with the serene scent of "being at home, with peace of mind, and away from the chaos" surrounded by the enveloping earthiness of the woods that surround the cabin. Like the sage, this scent quietly seduces with words of wisdom, not with sheer power or brute force. Simply divine!

Okay, enough flowery language. This spicy-woody-sweet scent to me smells really smooth, sophisticated, and complex. However, I sometimes feel that a little something is missing when I wear it despite it being very rich and "3-dimensional." (a little more oomph would be great) Maybe because it is too solemnly made without any sort of quirks or playfulness? Nevertheless, it is a very attractive and compelling blend indeed, but it could've been something more as well. Sillage is somewhere between okay to good --- and it stays surprisingly quite close to the skin for such a rich scent.

So -- what do you think? Is it worth the price for you? The sleek 50ml spray is 75euro ... while the 150ml flacon is 150euro. Personally, I think the 150ml is definitely worth the price. Despite some shortcomings, I find it impossible to not give this a thumbs up.

everso's avatar

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

This is very very very VERY sweet...with NO hint of leather at all......a big dissappointment as far as i see. Doesn't really deserve the name "Cuir" on it. Also very feminine.

everso's avatar

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

This is the smell of an elderly old woman who is drunk on rose oil and red wine. terrible scent-----i've tried it multiple times now, and multiple times i have felt nauseated. very feminine, very one dimensional, and very cheap smelling.

Ebbob's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

My very favorite of all. Elegant, warm, and dignified, Vol de Nuit is just a little bit intimidating in an aspirational (rather than discouraging) way. The sort of perfume that says, "I am."

Ebbob's avatar

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

A hot, dry summer afternoon in Greece. Lovely and sere.

bbBD's avatar

Esprit de Cuir by Auguste

Quite simply the most incredibly rich, smooth and downright gorgeous leather fragrance I've ever tried. You will pay through the nose for this ($6/ml), but it is a parfum, and the slightest dab lasted for 8+ hours on my skin. On initial application, the fragrance definitely has some citrus undertones, and as it slowly develops the undertones become slightly more spicy, and eventually slightly vanillic. It's these undertones that provide so much depth to the leather itself.

This bottle may have just leapfrogged over so many on my 'I want to buy' list.

Notes (per LuckyScent): Citron, Geranium, Galbanium, Jasmin, Clove, Birch, Opoponax, Tonka Bean absolute, Oak Moss absolute

Ronin's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

This one amazed me with its quality and I didn't expect it to be this good. I just find it to be a sexy fragrance that is versatile. Some may not find it to be an everyday kind of fragrance, but I disagree. As long as you don't overapply it can be worn at all times. The longevity is also excellent and I really enjoyed the sweetness and smoothness of Michael. Let this one drydown to fully judge it.

fragranceluvr's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chergui starts off with a burnt fire embers and burnt incense opening but fades quickly into a rough medicinal, moldy-cinnamon and leather accord. There is a heavy sweetness to this fragrance [perhaps the honey and the hay sugar (as
    described by the Luckyscent website); a sweetness that comes from spices such as cinnamon, not sickly-cloying like candy. The medicinal fades quickly as well and the sweetness stays around through the lifespan of the cologne. There is a lavender-like facet to this scent, however, lavender is not listed so I would assume it is the combination of the iris mixed with the sandalwood and rose which gives Chergui a slight indelicate floral undertone. The dry-down is very peaceful, meaning that it is a soft vanillic wood that reminds one of an exstinguished fire from the fireplace and the scent is lingering in the air still.

The sillage is somewhat moderate, meaning those close to you can smell it and yet, it does not announce itself; this cologne wears close to the skin. Chergui is a strong fragrance but with a sophisticated, urbane demeanor. The longevity is excellent...let's just say that you get what you pay for; well worth the money!

I feel this Eau de Parfum is more of a Winter fragrance. One can wear this for an evening out, under a tuxedo, or to a board meeting. Chergui is a very classy and elegant albeit different cologne, yet wearable.

If and/or when you are ready to splurge on an Eau de Parfum that is different and elegant, then I would highly recommend Chergui by Serge Lutens!

Theasylph's avatar

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

This version of the original makes me open up my eyes as to why people liked the first one so much to begin with. It's fresher more almost like citrus soda at first and then it turns into a mellow version of the classic no.5 that is less overwhelming. Smells like a mellow and lovely satiny powder vanilla hidden under some blooming flowers... Oh man... I want to wear THIS version to bed.

Theasylph's avatar

Love and Luck for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

smells very sharp. Fruity and dry, arid. I don't know what in this fragrance me to the point of headache like I'd been breathing in very strong cleaning products but it took an almost immediate effect and I was in full blown headache in less than 5 minutes. Looking at the top and middle notes, this sounds like an awesome cocktail but a bad fragrance idea or result... enough to give me a hangover.

charlie222's avatar

mb03 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

bm03 reminds me of Armani Prive Bois d'encens, although it's more muted and hasn't the latter's root-piercing radiance. I like it, even if it only lasts a couple of hours on my skin.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Cool Water Wave Woman by Davidoff

Very nice fragrance. On me when I first spray this, I smell a woodsy tobacco scent that lasts for about 15 minutes and has almost an earthy smell to it. With the initial sprays, I would say this fragrance could be unisex but then it settles into your skin becoming more feminine with nice floral notes. It is a clean, fresh, aquatic smell which is light and not overpowering. It does not smell fruity although I smell some watermellon in it (the florals stand out more). The notes I smell are freesia, peony, sandalwood, watermellon, and musk. There may even be a hint of amber in it? I think it is best suited for the day because it is not a sensual fragrance. The only down fall is the staying power doesn't last long, and it sits very close to the skin, but overall it's a nice scent.

Persona's avatar

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

Isn't it amazing how different personal scent perceptions are?
    I never cared for Nina R perfumes: 3-4 different kinds, that I tested, smelled as the same formula to me with slightly different ingredient ratios.
    First few minutes of Love in Paris gave ordinary but nice feminine impression. I was ready to consider having something like this for occasional inoffensive fragrance. And then...Arrrgh... I was a Baklava...with fruity sweet sweet sweeeeeet cloud around me... All this sweeeeetnes irritated my throat for hours!
    Never again!

Jaunty Monty's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

A striking warm, smokey scent. Perfect for winter. The spice notes are well balanced and not too dominant. Decent longevity. Recommended!