Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

AnonymousNose's avatar
    AnonymousNose

Alien by Thierry Mugler

This is chic weirdness at its best. While I'm very particular about what I regularly wear, I will smell and even try anything just once, especially if it captures my imagination. Alien does just that.
    The opening is an almost metallic green sort of smell, but not overpowering. It's enough to peak curiosity. As it develops, it becomes a lovely yet kooky sort of floral, dominated by a jasmine that is by no means indollic or cloying but still very recognizable. I then notice it becoming an envelope of warm, soft ambers and woods, all the while maintaing a glow of that metallic green note. The scent hugs the skin but still has some considerable sillage. This is at once inviting and familiar and yet remarkable.
    A must try for jasmine fans as well as cashmere-type fragrance fans.
    I am reminded of Led Zepplin's "Kashmir" (Or is it "Cashmere?") When I smell this. A definate must-buy, weird bottle or not, but be warned: it may not be for everyone.

AnonymousNose's avatar
    AnonymousNose

Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella by Guerlain

My favorite of the Aqua Allegoria's. I usually prefer parfums and pure perfume to colognes, but this is great when I want something to freshen up with. Anisia Bella is liqourice note as a skin scent, slightly herbal, with a tinge of delicate florals like little violets.Feminine but earthy and sporty, with good lasting power considering that it's a cologne and such a light scent at that.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

WOW, I definitely hopped on this boat late. I didnt even know what A*men was until last year..... I first smelled it, and was floored. I IS definitely different, in its own ballpark. Its sharp and metallic, but not too bad. I WOULD NOT wear this for evening wear, or any other 'white-collar', dinner, or 'dressing- nice' event. Its very young, and hip. To me, I think of it as the best 21-27 year old summer party fragrance. But most women, of all ages seem to like it. I wear it occasionally to work, and to parties. Those are about the only places t seems to 'work'.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I hated this a few years back, then someone gave it as a gift to me, now ill use it once every two weeks or so. Its smells like lemony aluminum. I get a Pledge scent from this. If you like Pledge, then you'll love this. But I do like it somehow. I dont know how.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Yeah, I always thought this was too old school. And yes, theres nothing really AMAZING and REVOLUTIONARY about it now, but I can see how it was in the 80's or whenever.
    So then I decided to buy a bottle.
    I had buyers remorse. I wore it a few times, and then It grew on me. I never thought that i would be in my regular rotation of cologne. My mother and grandmother absolutely love this, so whenever Im around them, I usually wear it. It seems to make them feel better. I think older women like this scent alot.
    I didnt really get alot of sandalwoods and musks in there, just mostly the lighter scents. But it works just fine. I was first skeptical, but I may be buying a second when I run out..Its long lasting, not exactly strong I would say. Very very fresh. Ill be 'rocking' this in the summer quite a bit.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

This actually is my top favorite fragrance I believe. The Lime and Apple really set it off for me. Very classy, and defined. this is not a normal cologne. Very very distinct smell.its dark, but the apples kinda brighten it up. Not linear at all, but the longevity is not really there. That makes me upset.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Creamy, smooth, and metallic. Not to be mean, but it seems like something a gay male would wear. Ive had it for a while. the longevity really isnt there that much, as far the the base notes are concerned. i keep on smelling the top and mids most of the time. its decent. Not a must buy, but if youre young < 24, you may in fact really like it

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Very delicious.
    I love smelling MYSELF when I wear this. I cant believe that its not considered a womens fragrance after the first smell. It is soo sweet. it is a definite classy evening wear fragrance. Very bright, But it is so delicious. Wear sparingly. This is one of those things wear too much is incredibly bad. it is a must buy tho. very very different. the general population wont know what this is whwn they smell you. Very refined.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Well. I dont know what to say. On the card, it smelled awesome. Reminded me of a traveling Cuban-decent businessman. I dont know why, but that was the first thing I thought of. But on my skin, it just didnt work for some reason as well. It seems all I got was the musk and mandrake root. It was not a bad scent. I cant really think of anything that it smells like, which is always good. To me, it seems unfinished, like somethings missing. I feel that the circle is unclosed on this one.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Actuall the only Armani scent I like right now. Smells linear, but not to connotate it with smelling bad. Definately not a high-school kids cologne. Scent-wise, for 'my' liking, its not my favorite. It is leathery subtly-sharps-spicy scent. Works very well with night-time attire, or go figure...... black (dark) clothing. Very much an evening wear.
    But some how, women around here LOVE it. So I guess I cant complain about it too much.
    Its a definite buy.

Unforgivable by Sean John

I love it. It smells somewhat like something a black male would wear. I really like it, and think its the best celebrity fragrance. Alot of females like this. I do find it to be too expensive though. i dont really get too much Iris with it, but overall, its a good, different fragrance.

Voyage by Nautica

Very Very clean, very Summery. No complains. Not too revolutionary. Not a 'must have' either. If you can find it for cheap. then get it.

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

This is one of my favorites. It does somewhat smell like Armani Code/Black to me. I wouldnt go out and buy one if you already had the other. I love the mango and pepper notes. Very sweet and spicy. It works pretty good as a normal everyday cologne. One thing..... it doens not last long at all on me.

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Very Very warm. very warm. Smells 'nice'. Thats what youll get. Great with a linen suit, khaki colors or summertime dress attire. Lasts a decent, pretty good amount of time. There is one sharp note though that i always smell. I cant quite put my nose on it. But still one of my favorites. Very classy.

Perry Ellis 18 Man by Perry Ellis

Take the best drugstore fragrance youve smelled, and you may be able to get this. Minus the rubbing alcohol. its okay. I wear it to the grocery store. not a must buy. It actually smells good on the card, but as far as on the skin and longevity, nope.

212 by Carolina Herrera

The EdT is not bad,my interpretation of it is very different to other reviewers, but maybe it's my body chemistry.I find it quite citrussy,(lemon and grapefruit) and cool to start with, the middle note is a not-too-sweet floral, and there is definately something steely and metallic in there, without the cold, steely notes I don't think it would be as interesting.I would agree that it finishes dry, but I can't find much warmth there. I quite like it as an everyday kind of fragrance, it is very light and wont scare the horses. I'm afraid I can't agree with other reviewers about the staying power.

Dazzling Gold by Estée Lauder

This was awful on me. Just another cheap smelling, totally indistinct floral. It's very very flat and dull.

Giò by Giorgio Armani

I absolutely adore this, unfortunately it's increasingly hard to find. No other perfume makes me feel as Goddess-like as this one !

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

This is easy to describe: Jolie Madame is a smoother Bandit with violets. It’s a beautifully assembled fragrance – elegant and sensual at the same time. Exquisite if you like leather and violets, which I don’t… but the sensuousness, the passion, and the creativity is very real…

Vinaigre de Toilette by Diptyque

I do appreciate the concept of this vinegar “fragrance” as a skin tonic: It is possibly an aromatic precursor to a skin toner. My skin needs a ph adjusting toner and something like this would serve that purpose. As far as a description of the movements in this fragrance, the_good_life describes it perfectly, and I fully agree with his assessment of it. Vinegar aside, Vinaigre de Toilette does not present a winning olfactory formula. In addition to that comment, I would say that it would be relatively easy to create something similar to this scent in the kitchen. This is much too expensive for what it delivers.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Pleasures is a clean, fresh floral with a little spice (pepper). It’s an in-between fragrance: not too sweet or too dry, not too strong or too weak, not too edgy or too dull… Okay, the last one is wrong: it’s not a very interesting scent. I don’t enjoy the green notes in the opening (violet leaves), but I enjoy the clean feeling of the florals (lilies and peony). The woody (sandalwood and patchouli) base is very discreet. Amiable and feminine in a pretty rather than in a sensual way; the fragrance seems light but it does have some disguised heft to it. It’s a comfortable wear but it doesn’t last long unless some major spraying is employed, but it becomes opaque and clumsy if too much is applied.

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

I’m struck not only by the polar oppositeness of the two different presentations of jasmine, but also by the alliterative similarity of the names: Fracas => Fragile. Fragile is a softer, more modern Fracas. Personally, I’m such a fan of Fracas that I find this a a bit of a bore, but it is very good interpretation and it is nicely put together. Its modernness has a definite appeal and is creatively impressive. If you want TUBEROSE, get Fracas… if you want tuberose petite with a more modern bite, Fragile is certainly more than good enough to merit investigation.

Brownie by Demeter Fragrance Library

The Demeter litany applies: Yes, it smells exactly like… (whatever its name...in this case, brownies), and, no, it doesn’t last very long. Demeter Brownie is a pleasant, maybe even enticing chocolate smell. It’s not the best chocolate fragrance I smelled, and it’s certainly not the worst. It certainly isn’t the most expensive chocolate scent and it comes pretty close to being the least expensive. It’s a nice comfort smell and it’s a fun thing.

Brut 33 by Fabergé

This was either the replacement of or a flanker of the original Brut, and a sad replacement / flanker it was: 67% watered down, 67% sucked out, 67% sissified, and then they plastic wrapped it! Such a pathetic, ungrateful way to treat a heroic old warhorse like Brut. Brut 33 smelled a little like the original but lacked Brut's projection and longevity, its pride and in-your-faceness. It was (is) an entirely inferior product.

Condensed Milk by Demeter Fragrance Library

Carnation or Eagle – those were the condensed milk brands in the grocery store. Now, in fragrances, we have the choice between Demeter and Comptoir Sud Pacifique. This Demeter version does smell like the old standby sweetened condensed milk – it is creamy and milky and dairy gourmand. It is sweet and warm. This follows the usual course of Demeter fragrances: It smells uncannily like whatever it is imitating and it lasts an hour if you’re lucky. Condensed Milk smells somewhat like Comptoir Sud Pacifique’s Matin Calin, which lasts about three times as long as the Demeter version. I enjoy this one.

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi

It’s strange to me that Villoresi, who typically draws his olfactory paintings in surrealisticly, neonly olfactory strokes, has created an incense fragrance that is so forgettable because of the subtly of its incense. The first time I tested it, I immediately experienced the typical Villoresi explosion, but this disappeared in subsequent testings to be replaced by a balanced green / citrus accord overshadowed by the mild resinousness of incense and myrrh. With even further testing, the opening I get is a balanced green / citrus accord with a stronger overlay of the cinnamon / benzoin. The reluctant resinousness of labdanum, myrrh, and incense has faded almost completely and the spicy cinnamon note has moved into prominence. Ten or fifteen minutes after the opening, Incensi has become a mild cinnamon fragrance. I can understand the attempt to minimize the incense because I believe that it often is a difficult note to wear, but to replace it with cinnamon is not the best direction to go IMHO. If I try hard, I can smell the incense under the cinnamon, but cinnamon is the only note I get by sillage for most of the life of the fragrance. Even the base’s opoponax and sandalwood don’t come through very strongly on my skin. I pick up a bit of a powdery resinousness in the base that never achieves more than a pleasant skin scent. Incensi has weak sillage after the first half hour.

The first few times I tested this I loved it and thought it would become one of my favorite incenses because I thought it was a beautifully subtle incense that would be a close and comfortable wear. With further testing I gradually lost the incense and gained the cinnamon and I have become correspondingly disinterested. It’s unusual that I am not impressed by a Villoresi fragrance, but this one just doesn’t do it for me. I hope that I remember this as a lesson in the importance of giving a fragrance a lot of testing before purchasing. I originally believed that this would be a for sure purchase, but it turned out to not be for me.

Can't Wait Demeter by The Goth Rosary

Can’t Wait Demeter opens with a refreshing fruity accord – clean and a bit ozonic and smelling suspiciously like pumpkin. Mostly what I get is a fruity / semi-vegetal neutrality, an aroma that seems more background than front and center. There’s a little bit of anonymous mild spice, and the whole tenor is one of semi-sweet fresh, cleanliness. It’s interesting to use these scents that are not based in alcohol or oil: they come across as cleaner… possibly even a bit absent of substance because I am so used to that alcohol or oil aura that is more common in the more typical fragrances. Anyway, Can’t Wait Demeter is an amiable light fruity / clean fragrance that has a moderate sillage and rather limited longevity.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Pure Poison is a jasmine floral, much lighter than the original Poison (what wouldn’t be?), but still retaining a firm personality – it projects quite actively off my skin. It is a true white floral which include jasmine and orange blossom with a supporting gardenia: The jasmine is dominant, and I see it as the identifying characteristic of the fragrance. It is a crisp, green jasmine rather than the creamy type – this is the type I like. On my skin, the middle florals throw a rather strong sillage and holds up for an admirable period of time. The drydown is softer than the top two floral levels: a very clean white musk, a bit of sandalwood, and a bit of powder…beautifully done and even with some intriguing resinousness in the background. Pure Poison plays with being sensual and sultry, but that’s just a minor aspect of its character… in the end its essential characteristic is sophistication. I find Pure Poison maintains a rather strong presence and has excellent longevity.

Jewel by Alfred Sung

Jewel is a subtle fruity white floral that I appreciated the first time I smelled it. I was impressed with its freshness, its clean presentation of white florals (jasmine and orange blossom), its initial fruitiness (pear and blackcurrent), and its tropical touches (frangipani and coconut). The second and third time I smelled it, I still smelled the tropics and the florals, but the freshness had gone synthetic – the rather annoying kind of synthetics. Except for the artificial ambiance, the fragrance performs well and is more transparent than not. It has decent longevity.

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

A sample of Armani Privé Cuir Amethyste was included in a long ago shipment and I avoided even smelling it for months because there are three notes in here that I regularly dislike in fragrances: violet, birch, and leather. I thought it was fated that I should hate this. Well, the birch I don’t even notice. I do dislike the violet… it annoys me. The leather, on the other hand, is quite tolerable – one of the few leathers that I can say that about: I think it is more suede than leather and it has a creamy rather than a sharp, rustic, rawhide feel, causing me to agree with its similarity to Daim Blond. Underneath that uncompelling violet note there resides a very pretty fragrance: It’s leather / violet combination might be close to irresistible to someone who loves violet. Armani Privé Cuir Amethyste is well made and, unlike many other Armani fragrances I’ve tried, it actually has no longevity problems. I think that it is a tiny bit uninspired and quite a bit overpriced as are many things Armani, but it’s a well-made enjoyable fragrance – a good one.