Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I enjoy wearing this a lot more than the women's version; it's got a greener kick, especially in the opening, that I find a good counterpoint to the sweet, musky milkiness of the progression. The drydown is comforting and warm without being heavy or cloying. Something in its character reminds me of pearls -- something subtly lustrous -- yet it's definitely modern.

25 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2009)

Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones

The violet leaf + meteorite description is bang on, especially the meteorite part. This smells incredibly metallic and... technological, like a perfume for computers.

It's interesting, but I don't know if I want to personally smell like this, or smell anything else like this, for that matter. But it's definitely worth a try.

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The head and middle are brilliant -- delightfully peppery, neither cold nor hot, and slightly bracing (for something that's non-watery). I like this sort of fragrance, more straightforward than coy. But the drydown is pure church incense that's dry as dust. I suppose that's part of the appeal of this fragrance, but I couldn't quite stand smelling like old church.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

i cant describe how freah and cheer i feel when i smell this fragrance ..... but unfortunately you cant use it as a signature due to its incredible popularity ..... wear it in the summer and feel happy :)

Burberry for Men by Burberry

If you want to smell like a baker then use this fragrance ..... not bad...but not my cup of tea .....

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Very popular in my country so that every body know it and weard it someday ..... i find it very good smelling scent but i wont wear it as it became "Old Fashion"!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

It should be in the top10 fragrances in the world ..... im not exagerating ... we are talking about a perfume made in 1991... but whenever you smell it you feel it is modern and you cant tell it is an old scent unless you know that fact ..... it is one of the best pefumes ever made .....

25 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2009)

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

i find nothing bad in this fragrance .... it smells good and i think it is best used in the office or casually.... not complex nor cheap smelling at the same time ....

Brit for Men by Burberry

i cant really describe what i smell out of this ..... is it sharp? is it powdery? i think it lacks something so i cant give it a thumbs up !!!!!

Forever and Ever Dior by Christian Dior

When my fiance came to visit me from overseas, he brought this home as a gift. I love that he gifted me with a parfum, and I thanked him vehemently...but now that he's gone back home for a time I am glad to not have to wear it anymore. He did a great job to an extent as this parfum has a lot of my favorite notes, however I would switch most of the flowers to fruit or woods or SOMETHING! hahaha I don't love it. It does feel very immature to me as well, but I think will be a nice thing to keep in the bedroom to spray on right out of the shower before bed to entice him as he obviously likes it very much and it really *does* have that fresh-from-a-bath scent doesn't it? I rarely wear EDTs and so this will strictly be used as a body spray for me and, in the morning when only the base notes remain, (all of which I love) it will make a nice partner to many parfums I already own.

Inspiration by Lacoste

I love this as an everyday parfum to wear to the office because it's very affordable and tends to last. It's nothing that would get me compliments in line at the store, but it's friendly and sweet and that comforts me.

Sexy Little Things by Victoria's Secret

I have this parfum in the body spray version and get a lot of compliments on it. While it isn't my favorite, my fiance loves it and I give it a high rating because of it's appeal to others and it's affordability even though the scent itself is just okay to me.

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Vetiver by Guerlain

At first this classic not seduces me too much...but the drydown...magic combination of vetiver, cedar and peppery notes where the tobacco one is simple sublime. A weareable and fascinating masculine fragance, traditional french school, A must have.

AnimaSola's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

I want to like this one because I like Rochas' scents. There is a note in this that smells musty to me. Otherwise, it is an interesting melange. It probably smells better on others.

AnnS's avatar

Chamade by Guerlain

Chamade is a beautiful, classic style, green floral. I've recently discovered this one, and happy I have! The edt is thinner than the rich parfum, but it still has an enjoyable feminine quality. Each version is beautiful in its own right. I think the edt presents more aldehydes than the parfum. For me it "works" in the same manner as I enjoy other green, classic style aldehydes, such as Givenchy III, Chanel No. 19, or Annick Goutal Heure Exquise. The parfum has more of a compact structure than the edt and more lasting power in the vanillic-balsamic drydown. Both versions are very good - even though reformulation has apparently diminished the composition. Since I've never smelled the original, I can only wonder about it. I still like the current Chamade very much, and I think as with all Guerlain's that sampling is a must for anyone interested -- the edt is just as enjoyable as the rich parfum (and slightly different). I am also an aldehyde lover, so for me there is no problem with that classic blast - those who are wary of aldehydes would be best to sample this one, and note that they don't stick around very long.

When I apply the edt, I feel a tiny bit of abandon, but the parfum requires more of a light hand otherwise it would be overwhelming. This fragrance smells of abundant springtime - mostly due to it's green-ness and the rich floral hyacinth and galbanum notes. Although it is very classic and elegant, it can still be worn for day, just as Givenchy III or Chanel No. 19, etc. It has excellent staying power in general, medium to strong sillage, and the scent will remain on clothes well after it is worn. I will also suggest that the right man could wear the parfum version for the prolonged spicy vanilla-balsamic drydown, esp. if he had some time to kill waiting for the top notes to burn off.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

This falls very distinctly into the category of a modern fragrance, it has the typical vanilla drydown, but it is one of the few that I can comfortably stomach. The one thing that makes it stand out for me is that it is very well balanced, almost the best I have encountered. The sillage is prodigious, and it lasts an eternity. The previous reviewer alluded to the fact that this would be a good office staple, and I have to resoundly concur. This has little complexity, minimal evolution, but judging this on quality,longevity and value, this gains a thumbs up from me.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

This was one of those "Oh, let's just get this over with" tests. I've got a growing wish list over at TPC that I pulled this from, having initially learned about it here. It looked intriguing at first, but then the prospect of a really cumin-y fragrance that I probably wouldn't like began to pale in light of all these Carons, SL's, Guerlains, etc. that apparently must be experienced. I began to grow afraid of it, feeling I am just not brave enough for this sort of fragrance. So as I ordered, I was like, "FINE. Let's just do this." No perfume is going to tell me what to do! : )
    I did NOT risk wearing this one to work, despite how utterly pretty it smells in the vial. I thought about wearing it to church. (What's an hour, even if I did smell like... umm.....cumin?) Rather, here I sit, husband watching tv, cat on my lap, clad in my most comfy clothes. The cumin came out as soon as the fragrance hit my skin. It 's blended really nicely with its flowers and the whole thing really is beautiful, if you ask me. I think it is just lovely on my skin, and one of the most intensely feminine scents I have experienced. The cumin makes it a little too risque for me to be wearing it out anywhere (especially houses of worship... : } ) but I think it is more at home in the boudoir, anyway.

Marcelle's avatar

Ysatis by Givenchy

I wore this briefly, while I was living in Russia as an exchange student during a long, long winter. It's a long-lasting oriental that smells very grown up, and even, on the wrong person, a little old. It was perfect for Moscow in the still-Soviet 80s, where most of the women were wearing furs, high-heeled boots, and full makeup, day and night, but it feels out of place to me now. For someone with vintage taste in fragrance, though, it would be just the thing

karisuma's avatar

Viva Samba Man by Perfumer's Workshop

This is a very nice fragrance. To me it's tangy sweet, warm and a little spicy. Not a bold or extraordinary scent, but quite wearable and versatile.

Promethea's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

Horrible, HORRIBLE soapy smell broadcasting out to the planet at gigawatt levels. I made the mistake of spraying this onto my wrist and I thought I'd never be able to remove it. This smell made me feel nauseous and headachey too so it's a real keeper. Why can't scents I love possess this extraordinary potency?

Promethea's avatar

Le Feu D'Issey Light by Issey Miyake

I guess those folks who love a 'clean, fresh' smell may like this a lot but on me this smells like an upscale toilet freshener. Hard to hate but hard to go nuts over either.

marcopolo's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

Givenchy Very Irrésistible Fresh Attitude starts with a very aromatic and minty accord that stays some time. In its heart I find the mint, and a sweet note that I cannot identify well, I think it's the mocha. Then the mint goes away and the mouth-watering mocha stays and lingers to the end. I realized that the sweet side, the mocha note is more noticeable in the heat. It's dense for a summer scent, but it's light as it doesn't stays much time. I don't know the original version but I think it's a lighter Very Irrésistible for men with more mint. A good option for summer days and nights! Thumbs up!

Bo Darville's avatar

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

For about the first hour or more, this is very similar to Rochas Man (admittedly a strange comparison - maybe it's the lavender/bergamot combo?), the main differences being the absence of RM's prominent mocha note and the inclusion of some note or collection of notes that registers to me only as "waxiness" (others have described it as lipsticky - the iris I suppose). This strange waxiness disappears on my skin during dry-down, leaving behind a smooth veneer of florals set against musk, vanilla, and tonka bean. At this point, I could compare Ferre to Dunhill and even Armani Code, both of which have similar bases.

All told, this is a fairly average scent, and it should be OK for use in all but the heat of summer. Sillage and longevity are medium, and you will certainly not offend anyone - you may even get a few compliments. However, the fragrance is just a tad too familiar to me; I've smelled this type of scent too many times before, and it's played out. Having said that, I have to rate it as "neutral."

25 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

911opr's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I had the chance to try this at the store on a test strip. I was a bit perplexed that it somewhat smelled like a sunny day at the beach to me. Suntan lotion,sweat,hot dry air and all I could think of was BEACH. Then...the very next day I went back to the same store and put it on my skin...OOOO AHHH Vanilla! Bam! what a beautiful scent. It was insanely yummy. Lasting power is great also but I can say this is one you'll have to be careful with as to not overdo it. I think a little goes a long way. My 11yo is asking me to buy it for HER! lol
    I would recommend this as a FB purchase.

Anisa's avatar

Guess by Marciano by Guess

As soon as I saw Raw Wood, Vanilla, Musk, and Honeysuckle, i knew I had to have this one. Its definetly a warm, rich, delicious fragrance which can be worn from day to night however not so sure if it would suite me for the summer. I would prefer it to be a bit more woody and a tad less sweet but then again I guess i should have expected that with ( dulce de leche) listed among the base notes. Its quite nice and the price is great... I bought a 50 ml bottle instead of a 100 ml... again,, wish it was a bit less sweet.

Anisa's avatar

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

My current favorite.. Ohhh wow, not sure if anything i say will serve it justice. It's the best fragrance I've tried in a while. I knew i would like it when i first saw the bottle; it sort of explains the fragrance without words. Its feminine, yet strong, sexy yet classy, powerful but not overbearring. Oh, its simply a masterpiece! I love the warm, woody notes of Amber, Sandalwood, and Cashere Woods, mixed in with Vanillan. Its woody, earthy, oriental, sweet, but by no means " Sweat" or too sweat. I love the plum and rose notes.. They give it just the right kick to make it different. Plum is my favorite in combination with woody notes but can be a bit too strong, too sweet. In this fragrance, its just right. I can't get enough of it.. Bought a 100 ml bottle two weeks ago; i think it won't last me for more than few more weeks. Its addictive! Coco Chanel used to be my favorite about ten years ago; this one reminds me a bit of Coco but its very unique in its own right. Its a modern, revamped version of Coco... Wonderful, Best ever!! Warm, rich, woody, oriental...

janineali's avatar

Define by Next

the most gorgeoust perfume ever, i need to get my hands on some, ive been wearin it wen i can get it for over 10yrs

CsgKaren's avatar

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Haven't tried the new version but definitely will, now I've been reminded of it. Another I used to wear many years ago when I was a student and loved but 'grew out' of. I could never isolate individual flower smells in it - unlike Paris - but loved it's unusual vibrant freshness and - for its time - edgy sophisticated distinctiveness when it was up against all the Charlies and Tabus.

CsgKaren's avatar

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I used to wear back in my misspent youth and loved it although, to be honest, back then the bigger and more flowery a scent the better as far as I was concerned. I still like it - on others - but despite getting a nostalgic kick when I smell it have learned since then that it really didn't suit me.

Cutecthulu's avatar

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

You all must have had this experience: You try on a new scent, and it makes you gag, wretch and cry out "Ugh, horrible." Then, for the rest of the day, people say, "Oh, you smell so nice. What is that perfume you're wearing?" Anais Anais did that for me. I find it far too sharp and flowery, like haveing rose-scented baby powder shoved up my nose, but there are many people who love it. (By "people" I mean women. No man complimented me on it.)