Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Dazzling Silver by Estée Lauder

Behold, the wonder of an age: a perfume which does exactly what the name on the package promises. It really is dazzling, and it really does smell "silver." If you like the combination of metallic and floral, as I do, then you will love this. Others may find it too synthetic. Smelling it is a bit like seeing everyday events in a dream. Everything is familiar, but suffused with a subtle wierdness. Perfect for those times when you want something pleasant, but not pedestrian.

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A rare example of perfect balance in a perfume. Throughout its developement, the woody, oriental and floral elements are in such close harmony that I found it difficult to pick out discreet notes. Instead, they formed a whole new creature, and quite a beautiful one. In The Guide, I read about BDV's relationship to Dolce Vita, and I see the connection, haveing worn Dolce Vita years ago. I remember that fragrance as smelling like Root Beer, which BDV, thank God, does not. My only disapoinment is that it's not quite as long-lasting as I would like. Marvelous nonetheless.

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Back when I was young and naive (about four years ago) the Fragrance Finder at the Sephora website lead me to this, and I bought it because I liked the name. Oops. Le Baiser du Dragon presents a baffleing cacophany of scent notes, the perfume equivalent of the hideous drink kids make by mixing together the different sodas at the 7-11 soda fountain.

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Le Maroc Pour Elle opens with a sharp floral blast that reminded me of the dandelions I loved to play with as a little girl. It also evoked the memory of sticking my nose into jars of vitamins, to smell that odd but pleasant armoma they give off. (Does anyone know the word for that smell?) The slightly surreal begining yields to a luscious, ambery middle that smells like vanilla pudding. A whiff of incense keeps it from being too sweet or foody. Very good altogether, but it suffers when compared to L'Air du Desert Marocain.

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

The name should start with an H.

DarkRain22's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

My First Post!
    *Awkwardly waves at fragrance kings and queens*

Aside from the weak silage- I have no problem in stating that this is a GREAT scent. If you only need to smell nice for a few hours (like a brief visit with somebody) then happy can really shine for you in those few hours. You'll notice that it IS a very pleasant scent to be around and that it has its own planet of unique going on. It has a nice looking bottle, but cheap cap. Get yourself the larger bottle because you will need to apply this generously. Summertime scent recommended but probably wont be worn much by all these basenote members. All in all- an inchoate scent of oranges that is just dying to be ameliorated.

Monsieur Alex's avatar

Lavande Royale by Roger & Gallet

A very nice fragrance from Roger et Gallet. Be sure and use the EDC (spectacular!) and not the EDT (too heavy!) which is what I suspect some of the folks with negative comments here may have tried. Unlike the sweet compound lavender of L'Occitane that adds marigold and peach making it impossible for a man to wear this is essential lavender at its best. Raw, light and bracing. No, it doesn't last forever but R&G eau de colognes aren't supposed to send people running from the room. If you like a basic lavender cologne, this one is hot!

25 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2009)

Monsieur Alex's avatar

Open by Roger & Gallet

Way too strong, heavy and unpleasant. Prepared for the days of smoky bars in the Sixties in Europe when full ashtrays were everywhere. It even lists 'tobacco' as an ingredient. I wouldn't recommend it. I gave my bottle away.

Soleil by Fragonard

Soleil is a pleasant light floral that, I suppose, is meant as a summer scent. The dominant floral I find is orange blossom, followed in strength by jasmine, and these two, with maybe some help from the rose, form a soft and interesting tense / relaxed accord. I find the white floral accord quite subtly and intriguingly presented: The accord seems so delicate. It would have been an enjoyable scent if they had left the fragrance with just that with its pleasant amber and sandalwood base. But they added an aquatic note (I think it’s there on purpose, but, who knows?) and that note just doesn’t sit well with me because it adds a synthetic tone to an otherwise natural feeling floral. I find the aquatic note annoying and disconcerting, but the fragrance is otherwise quite good.

25 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2010)

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Allure Homme by Chanel

One of the best fragrances i have tried "Crisp and clean, warm and sexy. Difficult to define. Impossible to resist" this is how chanel describes and this is how i actually see it ...

25 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2011)

mikey_p's avatar

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

Thick, cloying and stupid, this is one of the most unintelligent and shapeless vanilla florals I have encountered. The almost non existent narcissus is lost in a dense fog of suffocating caramel and candy floss. This would make an ideal Paris Hilton release.

mikey_p's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

The queen of turerose fragrances, Fracas is unapologetically heady and somewhat vulgar but gratifyingly so. Big bold and buttery, Fracas dispenses with the need to balance the tuberose with lighter, greener or camphorous notes altogether whilst avoiding being shapeless and opaque. This if tuberose for divas, simply delicious from every angle and unlike many florals today, the formula doesn't smell skimpy.

pescobarjl's avatar

Bourbon Homme by Marina de Bourbon

A very linear scent

Smells like burnt cigars and fig newtons ( you know the nabisco cookie)

there is no sweetness in this juice...i give it a ho hum....

ubuandibeme's avatar

Nani by Saffron James Parfums

Tovah speaks the truth! Nani is a vibrant, magical jasmine fragrance. Pushing the indoles to the max, it is one of those scents that compels you to keep on sneaking a whiff. Truth be told, I still hold A La Nuit as the top jasmine for me, mostly because it doesn't possess a wooded or musky drydown, but this Nani is a tropical wonder all it's own, wooded musk and all! If you are a lover of white florals, tropical flowers, or jasmine, you MUST experience this one for yourself. I would also describe it as elegant and sophisticated, which for a tropical bloom is amazing! It lasts an eternity. Thumbs up.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

A clear, refreshing, green scent that I enjoy wearing when I need a lift. It smells clean without being soapy or using that dreadful "marine" note. Quite calming, too - I wear it when I practice yoga. Not a seductive scent; rather, it's great for the office and/or hot weather.

Heartwood's avatar

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Leans more toward sweet lily of the valley than true, heady lily on my skin. A very nice, clear, ringing muguet floral dappled with honey that for me suits cool, sunny days. Lovely, but not quite me (I like but don't love lily) and just a little too sweet (I'm twitchy about sweet). Since I realize sweetness is mostly a personal preference and find it otherwise quite pretty, I'm going thumbs up.

Heartwood's avatar

Gold by Donna Karan

Very true lily scent; like wearing a big bouquet of stargazers. I get the watery cucumber that some have mentioned mid-way thru the drydown, but later it snaps back to being a fully bloomed lily scent. In the end, these lush lilies aren't my thing, even in cool weather, but for those who do dig lily, it's a very good one.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

If you like pepper, buy it. Sure the notes include bergamot, orange blossom, blah blah blah...they are but fleeting moment for the pepper drydown. It only seems to last about an hour on my skin. Not much in terms of evolution. It is nice but lacks any true grit or character...

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I want to love this, I really do. It is fantastic out of the bottle. I recently bought pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage, Caron PuH, and le 3eme Homme. I have been collecting old school frags of late...
    The lemon is great out of the bottle, sharper than pour Monsieur, and more fresh. But.......then comes the indole....
    Seriously. Am I the only one who smells the poop in this? I have tried 3-4 times, and every time the 30 minute mark comes, the lemony citrus goodness is still there, but on top of some dried turds. Like lemon pledge in an outhouse.
    I want to love this fragrance, but the poop is bringing me down!

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Lavender, jasmine and cinnamon out of the bottle, 1 hour later the musk remains. It is a very complex fragrance that reminds me of egoiste, then antaeus, then paco rabanne.
    This is more masculine than Pour un Homme, less masculine than Yatagan, and more complex and intriguing than the others combined. I have not tried Anarchiste, but le 3eme homme seems to be Caron's best.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I am on the fence on this cologne. I love the lavender, but after 30 minutes it starts to smell like mildewy lavender that has been peed on....
    sometimes the pee is less pronounced, but it is usually there, lurking in the background, like piccadilly station. My wife hates it.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

GIT and violet leaves. It is really beautiful, it just has poor longevity. It seems to give me 45 minutes and I can only smell my arm and hammer antiperspirant. Pity, my wife bought me one in NYC for 30 bucks (she had no idea it was a fake), and I think that it outlasts the original by about 20 minutes. Thumbs up for the scent, neutral for the longevity.

Himalaya by Creed

Sharp synthetic smell that stings your nose out of the bottle. It doesn't evolve at all, and leaves you wondering if you should spray it on your skin or use it to clean your bathroom mirror. Windex + pepper does not make a great scent.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Smells like orange rinds on an incense stick. Very clean. Possibly the most potent of any new mens scents since Fleur du Male. It will clear your nostrils as fast as it will clear a room if you are overly liberal in the application. The drydown surprised me. The scent is VERY feminine out of the bottle, sharp and cloying. After an hour it settles into a decent masculine vetiver. I do not get much amber out of it, but it is a complex frag. It is easily one of the most unique and instantly recognizable scents in my collection.
    If you appreciate unique and complex fragrances, you must purchase this scent. If you prefer the Acqua di Gio's, Euphoria's and Polo Black's, you will most definitely hate Amber pour Homme.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I agree with BlackAmberMoon, it is the best aquatic out there, save maybe Issey Miyake. More complex than Acqua di Gio, and definitely more thick. Turin loved Beyond Paradise, but I think that this is a much more complex aquatic. It has excellent longevity. One note, the bottle sucks. If you have more than a few bottles, it lays flat like a coaster..difficult to place in any real collection. Worth the buy, though!

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Linear vanilla garbage. Has absolutely NO connection to the original. Some people might enjoy the dissimilarity to the namesake, but I like the diesel manliness of Fahrenheit. This stuff is sickly sweet, linear and extremely cloying. DO NOT buy it blindly if you are searching for a modern take on the original. Go buy that vanilla fields junk from your local drugstore.

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Feminine like Amber PH, but SLIGHTLY more masculine. It seems very linear to me. Iris and frankincense and not much else. Iris like Dior Pour Homme, but not as masculine in the drydown.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Fresh and discreet ... I thought I'd love it but then when it settles down
    it becomes so soapy you might want your girlfriend to wear it.
    There is also something about this fragrance that reminds me of teabags ... not my kind of thing !

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

The name of this one really tells you everything about it.
    It's between herbal and citrus and very spicey not really knowing what it is and therefore hard to stand!

I like Contradiction ( for Ladys ) on Ladys but Contradiction for Men is just a bad concept.

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

I really love fresh and ligtht fragances but I don't know what this one is and why!
    Luckly it was a discreet one but not only that it doesn't last I'm afraid it acctually doesn't exist it's so weak.
    Wearing this one you just smell like nothing so you could as well use a simple (cheaper ) department store deodorant.