Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Kenzo pour Homme Fresh by Kenzo

A combination of citrus and a sea breeze makes it clean and fresh, not too intense or pushy but still with a depth ...
    therefore the ladys love it !

Definitely a perfect summer time fragrance.

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

The first splash doesn't really say much about it, besides that it's something fresh.
    After while it becomes a classy sweet but discreet and warm fragrance
    you might not mind wearing if you get it as a gift.
    I don't get which is the INTENSO part of this fragrance so I'td rather recommend Essenza di Zegna!

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

It's a very interesting combination of warm and fresh. At first it seems very well balanced but soon it settels down to SMELL exclusively like one of the spices out of my kitchen. Now why would you want to smell like a certain part of a spice shelf at your local supermarket? JUST TERRIBLE

beltz's avatar
    beltz

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

This is basically Hypnotic Poison but a bit less milky, and with woody notes in it. Basenotes lists Jacara Wood, but to me, it's just similar to other woody fragrances, but I don't remember if this is sandal or cedar wood that I remember.

This is also very similar to Hanae Mori for women. To me, Hanae Mori is Hypnotic poison, but less milky. So Organza would be close to that too, only with wood.

It is pleasant, and this is a deep, creamy vanilla. I think this is something I would love to smell up-close on a woman.

Morgaine's avatar
    Morgaine

Blush by Marc Jacobs

For my sweet tooth. What I love most about this perfume is that it managed to make me fall for it even if it belongs to all the categories I usually avoid: "delicate", "floral", "sweet". It's just likable like that.
    Blush is a gentle, delicate jasmine/white floral bouquet tinged with some green - mint, to my nose. The tiniest hint of indole adds depth to the flowers, and that green keeps it from being overpoweringly sweet and instead makes it pleasant to all involved. A very spring-like, bright, carefree gem.
    Of course, I can only take so much prettiness, and after two days in a row of wearing this I'd be begging for something raw or unpretty. But while the mood lasts, it's perfect.

Brielle87's avatar
    Brielle87
    France France

Zibeline by Weil

A true marvel of the parfumeur's art. This is a wonderful aldehydic floral in the classic sense, but it has a surprising animal quality one would expect from a floriental dry-down. This scent is all furs and champagne; romantic evenings dancing under crystal chandeliers at a glorious ball. It truly is the essence of a bygone era, yet it has a thoroughly modern quality to it. It has a truly seamless transition from head, to heart, to basenotes. A masterpiece which, much like many others, has gone to the great fragrance Valhalla in the sky.

Brielle87's avatar
    Brielle87
    France France

Weil de Weil by Weil

This is the scent of the first days of summer. It is all green with touches of bright flowers peaking through, and a lovely depth lacking in most 'green' scents on the market. Truly a timeless scent. Such a great tragedy it is out of production, a true loss to the fragrance world.

Bluebell by Penhaligon's

I liked it, but perhaps that's because I have an appreciation of more simple, natural fragrances. It you need a complicated, heavy-breathing scent, this won't be for you. It is crisp, cool. Like someone said before it reminds one of springtime, of fresh little buds poking up through thawing earth. The smell of flower bulbs and damp dirt. My only concern with the three penhaligon's I tried was that they do not have good longevity. They absolutely did not stay on my skin, they were gone in an instant. I have to apply to my clothing and run a little through my hair in order to make it stay with me for a few hours.

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

I'm thinking this is a very dark, earthy lavender. I like it actually. It smells like lavender yanked out of the ground, the stems lightly crushed so you get a green, vegetal hint and they barely shook the dirt from the roots before they pressed all the essentials out of it and bottled it. I disagree that it doesn't smell fresh, or that it smells like an old English lady, lol. I've been there and none of their old ladies smell this lovely. I hate, and I mean hate to wear lavender on my body. I have never found one that I can wear. This is can and will. It was less putrid floral and more damp earth and it was a good combination. My only complaint is that is didn't last long on me. I had to apply to my clothing and smooth a little down my hair for it to stay with me for a few hours.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Hello, lover! The instant I opened the sample I was in drool heaven. Buttery yummy tuberose-a flower yes but something nearly edible as well. Even my father who is such a pill about perfumes and shakes his head over nearly everything I wear couldn't deny this one. Every man I've asked couldn't keep their nose off it, they had to sniff my wrist again. I said absolutely no, that I wouldn't pay this much for a fragrance...but something tells me I lied. I hear ebay calling...

llnewcomb's avatar
    llnewcomb

Unspoken by Roja Dove

Outstanding Chypre!! Starts off with a blast of bergamot,,,as in most chypres. Then a candied sweetness of rose and ginger. It's stunning,,,and my idea of a good chypre. FBW!!! This for the Eau de Parfum,,,moderate lasting power,,,would love to be able to afford the parfum.

highdudgeon's avatar
    highdudgeon

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

Nice. A bit of a departure from more traditional fragrances and very nice and refreshing at first. I think it is hands-down nicer than Man, which gets lost in smokiness. It's fresh and I enjoyed the early pepper -- something I don't usually enjoy -- and it made me smile. Having said that, Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel Pour Monsieur destroy both of these. They're so much better, it's not even funny. I think the price point for the 50ml bottles is just absurd for what you get. Granted, the packaging is pretty enough to make you want to keep it around but, for the money, I'd stick to the "traditionals."

Not a thumbs down. Not a thumbs up, either, because I think it is far too expensive for what it is. I guess that leaves me neutral tending toward negative. Should be a new category!

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

Fresh, clean, soapy and spicy with a beautiful musky finish. This is the best fragrance in the range imo. The sillage is good and the longevity excellent. I can't really imagine anyone not liking it. I love it -- it just makes you feel good.

Intrigant Patchouli 08 by Parfumerie Generale

An astonishing patchouli fragrance that lasts a long while on me. Nothing like the old 'patchouli oil' from the seventies. It's very 'eastern' though with a melange of spices drifting on its coat tail. A lovely sweetened drydown completes what is imo a major fragrance. It reminds me slightly of Creeds Royal Delight, but I will take IP anytime. In fact, I hope to never be without this wonderful fragrance.
    A beacon of light amongst a sea of dross.

Iris Oriental / Iris Taïzo 14 by Parfumerie Generale

A wonderful and completely different rendition of the Iris note. Even though there are some spices and sweetness poking through it's the Iris that always leads the way here. However, it does turn distinctly powdery on me and therein lies the problem. I can't wear, with any confidence, powdery florals -- so I put this in the feminine camp. I don't think it is strictly unisex, but good luck if you can pull it off and I envy all you women with this one.

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

The first half hour or so of this fragrance is really nice -- like an iced coffee. But then, oh dear, it's all downhill. It begins to resemble one of those sharp 70's men's fragrances and becomes truly horrible. How they managed to do that with vanilla and patchouli at the bottom end beats me. Be warned -- what you smell on the blotter isn't what you get left with.

Sun by Jil Sander

i wore this by mistake thinking it was the male version. very light citric/floral great for weather above 80 degrees. unisex as i can't find the male version without paying a heavy price tag.

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

great looking bottle as well as the juice in it.a subtle scent with a bit of longevity. a bit sweet and abit smoky. not a head turner but more for the wearer to admire. classy and sophisticated.

Jacomo for Men by Jacomo

as stated previously,if you love the sharper in your face scent (le male,desire) this ain't for you.a skin scent indeed as it stays close and does not project. similiar to silver shadow but cheaper.great notes of pineapple,plum and veviter, but all i get is the pepper, amber and tonka. an extreme version is needed.

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

This is an inexpensive, but in no way cheap, fragrance. After an initial, almost startling, burst of aldehydes and bergamot, the roses take the stage. Then the oakmoss and the lilies chime in. ( Yes, oakmoss in the upper notes!) Just when you think that this is just another floral-chypre, a strange & almost unpleasant metal note appears. The metal quickly morphs into shimmery lily rose with sandalwood and oakmoss humming softly in the background. I find that those who wear Calandre always discover the notes that THEY like the best in this symphony. Well done, and at a reasonable price!

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Allure Homme by Chanel

very sexy. warm and inviting, good for cold weather or a date. this was one of the first fragrances I purchased. almost oriental, in a sense--peppery, spicy sandalwood with just a hint of sweetness to balance it out. the name is accurate; this is alluring. this will grab people's attention. you don't need a lot of it, and it lasts a while. it lasted 8 hours on me! no matter what age you are, this will smell good on you.

another reason why Chanel is one of my favorite houses.

urgetopurge's avatar
    urgetopurge

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

I will give the view point of a 20 some year old kid who has typically sided with younger colognes like Tommy Hilfiger and such.
    This came as a shock to me as I have never experienced what a formal scent smells like let alone a "vetiver" scent (apart from Guerlain Vetiver). But this epitomizes something you would wear to an evening hosted by Donald Trump or the Intellectuals of the World. I can't really distinguish between all the ingredients and notes but I can say that from an overall perspective, it smells similar to an Asian herbal store (but a good smelling one).

semisweet411's avatar
    semisweet411

Gardénia by Chanel

My first impression was the scent of the calyx of an unopened gardenia bud. Green and sweet. I spent too much of my childhood mauling my mother's gardenia bushes...peeling the buds were irresistible to me. The dry down is more of a general floral smell. Nice.

Misiek's avatar
    Misiek
    Poland Poland

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Great fragrance, just tried this recently and it immediately caught my attention. One of better orientals i tried. I love everything about it from top notes to the dry down. I will most definitely purchase a bottle soon.

's avatar

Infini by Caron

I have recently gotten to know the Carons, and Infini is my favorite one.

I suspect the bottle I picked up is from the eighties, so it isn't the current formulation.

It starts out in true Caron form, with a lot of delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, heaviness, and dries down very quickly to an incredible and perfectly-balanced, faintly metallic, tangy wonder. With outstanding sillage.

It's one of the more "familiar" vintage fragrances I have recently added to my repertoire, and the associations from my past are of very chic French women with that air of immaculate taste.

It delivers.

's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

When I was a little girl living in Switzerland, there were four nationalities of trains usually available:

German trains -slick, modern, metallic
    Swiss trains - clean, wholesome, clean
    Italian trains - rattletrap, uncomfortable, musty
    French trains - luxurious, fragrant, velvety

I would pray for the French trains every time. They smelled of glorious French perfume. It was my childhood notion of sophisticated adulthood.

The smell of those trains was: Strong coffee, Gauloises cigarettes, and L'Heure Bleue.

26 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2010)

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

Even if you were to use an Electron Microscope, you still would not be able to locate my interest in this bland concoction. The top notes are bearable, fresh and full of promise of future treasures. Sadly, it was a quick descent into what one can only describe as Deep Heat meets vanilla. In fairness, the drydown is a muted version of this, but it is a trite piece of chemistry that is on offer here.

LouLou by Cacharel

To me Loulou is a kind of "Holly Golightly" kind of fragrance, ill-mannered somehow, almost rude, but also spontaneous and VERY good-looking. That was also the image created for the fragrance when it was launched in France I remember, and contrary to what I read in various reviews about the ugliness of the bottle, the flacon was (and I think still could be) considered as having a very new, challenging beauty, with its art-déco lines, and the pattern on the box evoked poisonous, dark and appealing flowers painted in contrasted colours. To me then the odour fits the flower pattern on the bottle.
    The scent is strong, raspy, strange, like a bright teenage smile.
    Beautiful.

Chamade by Guerlain

The extrait de parfum is heavier than the eau de toilette as the top notes are almost non existent. The green notes are hidden behind a smell of pollen, and the impression is mellow, comfortable but definitely grown-up. It smells womanly, as if you had approached just a little too much.
    And what is gorgeous about the extrait is that it radiates in the depths, in a humble and absolutely self-confident way, as if it knew it smelled exactly right.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Fracassant!
    A fragrance for the perfume-soldier, one to brace oneself for. It was my first 'perfumista' buy last year, when I thought that'd be THE plunge. Never really wore it even though (or because) I'm in awe of it. I wear it at home, possibly when no one is around!
    The orange blossom blast of the top note assails me in a very unconciliatory manner, yet I worship the drydown that is extremely skin-friendly, rosy without the rose, tuberose.
    Best wafts the next day.