Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

esquirol's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel is a ravishing scent, that I like to wear like a pair of pyjamas, to reinvent the comfy, uplifting effect it has on me. I wouldn't dream of wearing it outdoors, because of possible encounters with it.

26th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th February, 2009)

esquirol's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I really am in for this, and have been wearing it every time I hesitate as to what I should wear at work. It is very "très bien comme il faut", and smells subdued to me.
    Peaches in a leather bag that has remained a little in the sun!

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

An old man is going through his things one day and discovers this scent tucked away. He remembers it and puts it on, not because it smells good, but because it reminds hum of another time. He sees himself prominently in the past, looking at his reflection in the mirror, he sees himself younger and clean shaven. The scent is almost a sad smell, though he looks at what was, he still remains happy in the present. He walks away from the mirror.

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

First review, and here is the story. It is a cool summer day in a park. There is a crisp stream nearby, and some type of sport being played, if I am not mistaken it is volleyball. The person wearing this is in their late 20's, probably just graduated college. He is also in a relationship, and this girl actually bought him this scent. They are happy and it seems that a good man would wear this, it is a smell that brings content, but not a smell that brings content... but it was there and this lies on top of it. Overall a good smell.

Ok. There it was haha.

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

A man comes from outside, he was just gathering wood to put on the fire. It was not hard work, and did not fatigue him, but he decides to sit down. His body is very powerful, but not weightlifter strong, it is a natural build. It is winter time, and he sits at the bar in his log cabin to have a cup of something. He drinks a concoction of almonds, whiskey, and coffee, which is warm and frothy. The man is at peace drinking his cup with his dog by his side. He thinks about something, maybe the past, maybe a woman. But nothing that discontents him, he is at ease.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

It is Saturday, early morning, definitely cold inside the house, and a man walks around. He is single, but he has had a female companion whom he is close with stay the night. Nothing happened the night before but they did hold each other most of the night. He thinks that she is still asleep, but she is not, she lays in bed and thinks about him. While he prepares his breakfast he thinks about her. Neither of them is uncomfortable around the other.

This scent makes me think of an actual human smell. Like it is the combination of those people aboves skin touching all night. That is the smell it would make the next morning.

Beautiful Love by Estée Lauder

Two scents I absolutely dislike combined in one fragrance! rotten tuberose and soap... great!
    At first the tuberose in the top notes smell okay but the fade within seconds, then the soapyness is even more dominating and headache-causing... after a while you additionally get the tuberose in the base that smell very cloying, uhh... (just thinking about it)
    But even if I try to ignore my personal taste I don't think any tuberose-lover would appreciate it since it is actually quite flat and synthetic like a cheap, heavy floral fragrance. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Bahiana, Virgin Island Water and Bronze Goddess ....in my opinion: No! they are NOT alike! (Note: I have all three of them right here)
    There are a few similarities between VIW and BG but I prefer VIW, it is more interesting and unique. BG seems kind of coarse to me in a certain way. BG has more of the sand and salty ocean while VIW smells more like a summer cocktail (not a sweet one though) with the rum and coconut. I find that the coconut is far better blended and situated int VIW than BG.
    But now about Bahiana... To me this is the most exotic/tropical and vacation-like of those three. A light cocktail of exotic citric fruit, creamy coconut with a detaining herbal base that reminds me a little of a rainforest.
    A real masterpiece as far as the tropical fragrances for women go. I never really understood how it could be unisex?!? I haven't smelled it on a guy, when I wanted my brother to splash it on he very clearly refused to wear a "girl fragrance" (he actually thought I was playing a joke on him) ...I cannot blame him. I think it is way too sweet and fruity for it to be masculine.

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

I could imagine the combination of some of the notes that are in there would make a beautiful fragrance. But in this one is way overcharged. The worst thing is that it is sugar coated with an unbelievably thick "coat" of fruity sugarneass... it makes it hard trying to detect any of the other notes. And the caramel really throws it over the top for me so that my stomach starts complaining as well.
    to make it short: sweet, powdery and sweet ....and sweet!

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Once you have experienced the distinctive "Guerlinade", the in-house olfactive signmark of Guerlain, you really want to feel it again and again. A lost world come into mind, the myth-of-the-man in the XX century at its very sunrise. We have to precise that Guerlain perfumes apart of more recent ones, are very conservative, well suited for the cultural French Emperor of last decades. They are out of the fragrances you usually find in a boutique, so at the beginning you are literally astonished, then you can love it. Guerlain Vetiver gives the subtle impression to leave you alone: it's vey, very cold, adn it responds to nordic, clean tastes, so fdifferent from the italian ones, more fashion orientedand in general, warmer. I wouldn't be surprised discovering Vetiver of Guerlain is mostly sold in continental, north Europe. It's uppermostly clean. The idea of perfume behind is terrible or marvellous. Coming now to the vetiver vibrations, since I like more dirty, mouldy and resonant vetivers, I prefer the vetiver from Guccy Envy. Probably at Guerlain were aimed to purify vetiver from earthy sentors, leaving only the smoky-ones. If the Guerlinade base has something of burlesque, excessive, between caricatural or extremely classy (not an easy, first sight love perfume), the vetiver stands -for me- too much delayed over other scents.

26th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 27th January, 2009)

shinhito's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

This is the Axe of men's fragrances. It's everywhere, and it's affordable. You father probably has it, your brother, your friend, your enemy. It's a fine fragrance but don't expect to feel unique while wearing it.

shinhito's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

This is the scent that got me excited about fragrances. It's multifaceted, and highly nuanced. This is one that definitely changes depending on your personal chemistry. On me, I never smell the gourmand properties as strongly as others have complained about. I smell the lemon and black currant, which is extremely warm and luxurious. My absolute favorite part is the base notes, especially the moss and amber. The base notes are dirty and musky, but in the most fantastic kind of way. This scent is extremely hard to explain, it's a complex enigma that I keeps me coming back to try and solve.

I've noticed that the EDT has stronger base notes, so it's my favorite choice. Bonus: It lasts as long as the EDP and is cheaper per oz. Who knew?

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Warm and wearable and lasts for ages superb lasting power on my skin, Its more of a winter scent and the 30ml bottle is perfect for travels.

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Its rather soapy but a nice fresh soap works well for pre work out as its not too overpowering or when u have a hangover and want to feel fresh and light, its deffo worth buying when u want a low key scent!

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This scent i love and so does everyone i meet when wearing it i have had countless comments i really hope Chanel make it a line its nice and uplifting without being overpowering .

testorz's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Love this scent ! Smells like a barbershop soap !

trueblue's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I didn't find anything ordinary about this fragrance. It is one of my favorite men's colognes, though it doesn't suit everyone.
    I find the obacco and leather notes are unbelievably pleasing, which is very odd because they are notes I usually dislike. Perhaps it's the way they are softened with the contrast of sweet powdery violet. I like my husband to wear this, but not on a daily basis. I like it when he wears it less often. I find this way I am "surprised" by it, because it is so different than anything else I've smelled. I occasionally want to smell this so much, that I will wear it myself. However, I do believe if it was worn every day I would grow tired of it. It's a masculne sent that is very sexy on a woman too.

bluefx's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Today i finally tested A*Men. I was so eager to smell it due to the amount of reviews that this perfume has gotten about being fresh, sweet and unique. Well this is what i have to say: In my opinion i do think this is an unique fragrance, however it didn't smell like candy to me not even chocolate nor coffee. To me it smelled like a strong manly scent along with a mixture of flowerish mature lady perfume and energetic mint. I just didn't liked it but i didn't hate the smell, it was ok. I think it smells great to go to a small hangout/party, college or work since it is very potent and trust me the paper sample still has the scent on it. If there is actually something i like about this fragrance is the fact that it is very strong and it conquers every other smell around it, still i wouldn't recommend it for a casual/formal activity due to the strong smell which might become irritating to some. My car still has the smell of A*Men on it, it is unbelievable. I also tried Rochas Man and although it was softer than this one it didn't had quite the uniqueness and it's scent was very subtle, it faded away very early. If you're truly searching for a garmound perfume with sweet candy, fruity, masculine smell i say try Lolita Lempicka, i think it is by far the best perfume i'ved ever smelled, but the smell tends to fade away from your skin quite fast (3-4h). Also you can try Diesel Fuel for Life but it's scent isn't very adequate for mature people since it is very fruity smelling making it more adequate for youngsters.

bluefx's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I like Lolita a lot! Sweet candy smell, along with anise and licorice while adding a touch of rum to create a sweet masculine scent. It is a very fictitious/fantacious dreamy scent. The only thing i dislike about it is that it doesn't lasts a considerable amount of time. Typically i can smell it on me for some (3-4h) then it disappears completely. It is a very original sweet scent that brings pleasure and delight to your nostrils. It is ideal for a casual/formal event as well as for a hangout/party, but not very ideal for college/work since it is a very fine sweet smell. I recommend A*Men better for college/work since it is stronger, lasts way longer (10h+) and has a more mature less candy-like smell. I think Lolita is the best garmound scent on the market right now, although if you compare it with A*Men, Rochas, Diesel and Hanae you will notice that this one truly has a unique smell of it's own and it doesn't feel like a mixture of energetic mint along with manly scent and strong floral fragances like the ones mentioned above do. The bottle is quite attractive also.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Like many people, I originally disliked Arabie.

Yes, it's sweet AND cloying.

Yes, it will overwhelm you with a medicinal stew of dried fruits.

But guess what -- Arabie is perfectly wearable and works wonderfully on me. Give this one a few chances. Fruitcake in a bottle. Just perfect!

26th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2011)

ComDiva's avatar

Index Tobacco Caramel by Fresh

Bought blind on EvilBay, and am pleased, though not overwhelmed with joy. The caramel does have a bit of a synthetic twang to it, but overall I feel like I've fallen into the inner pocket of some university professor's tweed jacket, with the pipe tobacco pouch and a butterscotch candy. Soft, comfortable and quite nice.

Tobacco Caramel notes:
    Top notes: Tobacco flowers, mandarine, and French tarragon
    Middle notes: Honey, Damascus rose, and Chinese osmanthus
    Base notes: Caramel, rich amber, and musc.

No. 5 by Chanel

A perfect example of sleek, coherent Art Deco aesthetics in every way. So seemless, polished and smooth that it feels altogether from another world. You really can't add or subtract anything from this. Hype doesn't survive this long.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Excellent quality formula that doesn't smell like the usual cash starved high street crap. Nothing particularly novel here but it still smells great. This is a fresh floral that is anthing but trite. Excellent.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

The formula feels like it cost less than a couple of pennies but seems none the worse for it. You could spend alot more and get alot less. This is a competently put together fragrance that is nothing remarkable but quite presentable.

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Too cold and remote for my liking. Far too melancholic. Would make a better room spray than a fine fragrance.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder

Elegant, comforting, and sensual at the same time. Doesn't smell like Gaultier2 per se, but has the same effect: warm, sweet, skin scent. Loving it this winter!

odysseusm's avatar

Molinard de Molinard by Molinard

This has a powerful, sweetly floral opening. It is not very green, in my opinion. It is a pleasant and classy scent, though a little too sweet and floral to suit me. The dry-down has substantial patchouli, which gives a soapy/sharp tang that is abetted by a hint of incense resin. There is also a little grassy vetiver in the dry-down. The amber is not problematically sweet, buttery or heavy.

odysseusm's avatar

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Fragrance notes: black pepper, yuzu, rose, narcissus, ambergris, myrtlewood, russian leather, amber, labdanum
    This one surprises me. Normally I don’t care for amber, yet I find this to be an intriguing scent. I attribute my interest to the fact that there is both ambergris and (vegetable) amber here – I suspect that the ambergris adds an interesting, animalic complexity. There is peppery spice here, evident rose notes, and a cool, almost minty-green note (probably the myrtle). The amber is rich and buttery, and yet it is compelling in a brooding sort of way. Hints of leather add to the depth. Ultimately, this is not the sort of scent I enjoy, yet I can appreciate the craft and quality here. I’m sure others will enjoy it.

Divatologist's avatar

Winter Star by Michael Storer

I am actually wearing Winter Star as I type this and I just had to do my review today. I must say that this is one of the best spicy/woodsy/oriental type fragrances I have smelled thus far. I absolutely love Winter Star. Michael Storer "put his big toe in this one". That's what us country folks like to say when something taste good. I didn't taste it, but Honey it smells that damn good. It is definitely a unisex fragrance. Winter Star reminds me alot of the hankey perfumes from India. It lasts until you wash it off and you might still have a little trace after that even. You only need a couple of sprays of this, but "Diva" has a tendency to be a bit heavy handed with it cause I just love it so. If you want longevity and sillage, then Winter Star is definitely what you want.

Now it does have a bit of "skanky" business going on. It's skanky in a good way though if that's possible...*giggle*. It's skanky like you're in a night club and the hottest sexiest song comes on. You've already danced about 3 songs with this hot & sexy guy and you're both wet with sweat. The sexual tension mounts and your attraction becomes magnetic. This song draws you closer to the point you're almost in his shirt and your bodies move in one sexy synonymous motion. The smell of sweat and cologne, and perfume, and pheromones, and you can feel his heart beat in his....Oh Child!! Diva needs a moment. Oh Yeah Honey! Winter Star is skanky like that. You just smell Winter Star and it evokes 'sex'iness instantly.

Believe me when I say that Michael Storer is the man!! Winter Star is definitely a "STAR"! It's like no other fragrance you have ever smelled before. If you love spicy/woodsy/oriental/incense/hankey perfume type fragrances, then you definitely have to try Michael Storer's Winter Star.

mnaonbn's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

If you mixed Creeds Erolfa (drier/saltier aquatic) and Millesime Imperial (fruitier/sweeter aquatic), you'd have Bond's Wall Street. Since I very much like both of the aforementioned Creed fragrances (especially Erolfa), it's no surprise that I very much like Wall Street. Nuff said.