Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Starts off slightly citurs fruity and goes down to a powerfull woody
    and sweet cinnamon.
    A masterpiece showing how a heavy and sweet fragrance
    can still be very masculine and noble with so much character.
    A perfect winter scent you should under no circumstances even consider
    putting on in summer !

27 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2009)

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I wore this one when I was 16.
    Why I can't tell. I guess CK Eternity is as much 90s as Dance music was.
    Today I find it irritatingly metalic and lost between fresh green but still too sweet.
    Unless you're going to a theme costume party ... just don't!

Paco by Paco Rabanne

Paco really smells like you were born, raised and spent your entire life on a citrus fruit platation to start with.Now as if that wasn't enough it very soon it get down to become real letdown where sythetic and metalic fight for primacy.
    The best thing about Paco by Paco Rabanne is that it doesn't last too long.

This is why even when you find it in an outlet store or a duty free shop
    at a throw - away price you wouldn't even take it for loose change !

Indentite pour Homme by René Lezard

This one is so much between being too sweet to be bearable
    and my grandfathers old cologne.
    You could as well combine ARAMIS with a ton of sugar and barrel of cognac.
    It seems to me they decided to combine all of the worst into one ... YUCK !!!

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Ô Oui! by Lancôme

Like the glorious scent of a tin can being warmed on an old steam radiator. A very uninspiring fragrance; no clue why it is still being produced.

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

A very nice 'eau' in the classic sense. I myself am much more fond of Eau de Rochas, which takes the classic 'eau' to the next level.
    A great scent for those who want to feel 'clean' and refreshed all day.

HDS1963's avatar

Feu d'Orange Intense by L'Occitane

What a crying shame this was a limited edition! This is quite simply one of the sexiest, most seductive fragrances I have smelled in a long time. Based on the extract of blood oranges, the very red orange oranges, this is a deep, deep fragrance of seductive passion. Occitane themselves are somewhat secretive about the ingredients save that they say it originates from the aforementioned oranges. However, that is only part of the story. Owners of Terre Hermes will recognise elements in the warm spice evident here. This is one hell of a fragrance. Typically of L'Occitane, hardly anyone knows about it. But I do. And I am sharing it with my BN friends. Get this, love it and enjoy. It's wonderful. No, really, it is.

TaraYvonne's avatar

L'Infante by Divine

What a lovely beauty of a scent. Fresh, clean-very ladylike and youthful. I'm charmed, but not driven to buy it. I like my perfumes to be sultry vixens, not blushing young girl scents. I think this would be perfect for a teenager.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Bois Rouge by Tom Ford

I have some serious doubts about this being unisex. I would take a seriously brave or butch woman to pull this one off. That being said I think I'd like this on my husband. Maybe. I get an inky accord in the top notes I hope goes away-being just sprayed I'll have to wait to find out. I do get the medicinal quality as well. Like opening a new package of bandage wrap. Other than that I get the wood note. I have it, I know where I have smelled this before. The smell of a tree being cut down by a chainsaw: the fresh cut wood that is "hot" from the blade cutting into it and the scent of chainsaw oil and maybe a little gasoline. When I was young I was around someone who did this and I know the smell. That's what Bois Rouge reminds me of. I'll give it a neutral because it's a little out there for me. I wouldn't consider this a scent one should smell like unless you're a lumberjack.

JackTwist's avatar

Cologne Cédrat by Nicolaï

This is one of the very newest attempts to capture this Mediterranean citrus scent (Azarro and Roger & Gallet have recent introductions as well). None of these three however can come close to the classic Creed (1875) and Guerlain (1920) successes.

Parfums de Nicolai presents as a very light lemony scent with no middle or base note to my nose. It is undistinguished and fades after two hours - on both my partner and myself. It is not bad, just not of the quality of the Creed and Guerlain. Its lack of uniqueness makes it a poor choice as it is in the same price range as these two. It's just not good enough to demand similar pricing.

Galleddrim's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

I like Mania. I rather wish that these were starred reviews instead of thumbs up, thumbs down, or "meh . . ."

This is a fragrance that I don't get super-excited about, but I find pleasant enough to wear, and to even buy again.

Mania has a fresh herbal opening, with a lot of lift. I guess I can sort of smell the cedar/vetiver middle, but it's pretty subtle to me. The dry-down is a light spicy musk that reminds me of the dry down in Azzaro Visit, but lighter and with less punch. After a few minutes a the amber starts to peek through, but it never becomes a really dominant note. The musk rules.

Over all, a very nice casual fragrance. Something nice for everyday wear that's interesting enough not to be totally pedestrian. It could sort of work for date wear as well, but I would go with something more bold like Emporio Armani Night.

lizzie_j's avatar

Izmir by Neil Morris Fragrances

Well, as my mother always says, "That's what makes horse racing!" Unlike Jemimagold I LOVE New Haarlem, and I love Izmir also. They both have an outstanding coffee note that is not too heavy handed--a well crafted latte rather than a triple espresso. Izmir is spicy, mildly sweet but not cloying or tooth achey, and it has enough citrus to give it a jazzy edge. The orange and geranium keep the other notes in line, and prevent the personality of Izmir from becoming TOO mushy or edible as it progresses, and the coffee stays true for hours.
    If you are looking for an interesting and beautifully crafted coffee fragrance I would highly recommend sampling Izmir :).

Kaern's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I have tried to like this, but it is what it is and I can't get by the extremely dry and bitter top opening. I have a job distinguishing any notes at all when first sprayed because of the harshness. Someone mentioned smelling 'celery' -- if you really like that note, Grain de Plaisir is the way to go. Yatagan is not touching my skin.

bbBD's avatar

Crystal Aoud by Montale

Notes (per LS): melon, green apple, mandarin, sandalwood, teak, aoud, patchouli, vanilla, white musk, saffron

Now that I'm about 20 different Aouds deep into this line, I've long since given up with extensive reviews of each. Only those that really catch my attention will command a review. I'll admit they do blend together when I recall them. On the skin, some oud/[insert accord here] combos work really well (White Aoud, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, etc.) and some really don't (Aoud Lime, Aoud Ambre). Every person will have their own opinion and enjoy some while hating others.

I find Crystal Aoud to be one of the ones that work, and it works well. I wouldn't have thought the combo of melon/apple and oud would work, but the sweetness of the fruit perfectly balances the medicinal quality of the oud and at times the accord melds into one big sweet/bitter note that is very unique.. As foetidus notes, the oud lasts longer and is more pervasive then others in the line, but again - this works well and the particularly distinct melon and apple notes last along with the oud. Unlike some from this line, like White or Silver, the oud doesn't fade out at the base. Instead, it intensifies somewhat as the lighter fruit notes fade and oud is joined by patchouli and woody notes. The base is reminiscent of Black Aoud's but with the volume turned down.

One of the Aouds I'd really like to own.

surreality's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quite simply Habit Rouge (EdT) is a masterpiece that will always have a place in my wardrobe. Few fragrances approach the sophistication, refinement, and sheer beauty of this classic. Citrus, florals, woods, vanilla, leather and amber blend seamlessly to create a well integrated and perfectly balanced fragrance. Habit Rouge projects off the skin well, lasts all day on my skin and has a moderate sillage that leaves a hint of scent behind the wearer.

surreality's avatar

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

Cuir Ottoman starts off rather boozy, for the first five minutes I could smell is a note that reminds me of Jack Daniel's Old No7. The floral heart notes start to creep in on top of the boozy note with the leather not far behind; at this point in its development Cuir Ottoman seems to lose coherence, becoming a raucous cacophony of rather synthetic smelling notes. The iris comes in adding an earthiness and a little dirt but it still seems muddled by the time the basenotes are fully apparent.

After all of the good words I have read about this fragrance, I wish I could find a redeeming factor... but it eludes me. This is an unbalanced, muddled, synthetic smelling mess of a fragrance; all in all quite a horrid scent.

27 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2009)

glitteralex's avatar

Pour Une Femme (new) by Caron

My first impression of this frag in the edP is medicinal banana...a caramel gourmand/bananas foster arrives after the initial shock of something akin to chloraseptic (which I love) dies off. The dry down is more classic than the top or heart, with incense notes, but reminds me of the lingering presence of a drugstore perfume. Pour un Femme is incredibly pervasive- hubby is complaining of a single spritz from the other room. It has 80s style body, but with odd notes. I rather like it, but would never have pegged it as a Caron. Have to say, I disagree with Quarry's take on the pedestrain fruit/patchouli combo- it is quite unusual, but not necessarily great. I give it a thumbs up for originality.

newgabe's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

I bought this unsniffed as I was after a light summery floral with a hint of lemon. I can sense everything that is being said here... lemon start, peach, lightness, gorgeous, etc.. but so faintly that I can really only give this a neutral.

Five spritzes outside the store. Five more in the car on the way home- surprised that I could barely smell it even in a closed, warm space. Five more at home, when I realised this really is a summer scent- best worn with no clothes at all, as the sheerest silk is enough to stop any sillage.Had a swim, started again, and I've used up about half the bottle. There is a faint sensation if I sniff my skin directly. I'm glad I paid discount price, as this would be the most expensive perfume I have ever had, gram per thrill.

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

i cant say its bad ... but i cant give it thumbs up ... i dont find it sexy myslef ? may be women find it so ... i dont know .... i find it a light version of le male .....

mavmanc's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Yes, this one is controversial!

This was my first ever blind buy, kind of.

I was wandering around Debenhams on my way to work. I was eating up time looking at all the surreal dayglow perfume counter ladies. Deep in thought about their origins and where they slept at night. Do they sleep? My daydreaming was interrupted by huge sign displaying this stuff. I'd never heard of it before so went to have a gander. What kind of name was that? It evoked an image of some kind of Mexican guitar playing assassin. My curiosity was aroused.

And what a bottle! This was a mans bottle if ever I saw one. So many uses; doorstop, paperweight, plumbline. But more than these it reminds of the last hit you made and disposed of the body wearing similar looking concrete shoes. This bottle is a dangerous weapon cunningly concealed in your toiletry bag. I smelt it on the way to the counter, got confused but bought it anyway.

Upon arrival at work I showed everyone my new strange aquisition. Note: This is the only scent EVERYBODY has liked sniffing straight from the bottle. Whether it bullies people or not, I don't know.

I went to the bathroom, put some on, and an hour later suffered the most horrendous headache. What manner of evil was this?!

I got home and my girlfriend loved it. To this day this stuff is one of her top three faves on me. Needless to say, noting the effect on my girlfriend and along with that the associated benefits, I decided to endure the headaches. I figured it was like a great whiskey, you gotta give each other time to figure one another out, but it's worth it. I was right.

No more headaches but I still don't know what it smells of. It's a complex beast, but I like that in this current climate of flowery liquids masquerading as man juice.

Sure you get an initial blast of wet cement. But look at the bottle, what do you expect from a Mafioso scent. This 'aint no Tony Soprano scent, he wears his heart on his sleeve to much for this. No this is complicated, this what Michael Corleone would wear when making an offer to someone they couldn't refuse.

If your sick of smelling men's scents that were developed by tree hugging environmentalists. If you want something that makes other men cry wolf at its strangeness. If you want to feel like a man again, but not a stereotype. Get this.

But be warned you won't always get along, but you gotta love the fight.

dacerace's avatar

Wings for Men by Wings

I got a bottle of this from a sale...and I am disappointed in wasting my money on it.If you want to go for cheaper fragrances,try ANYTHING BUT THIS!!! it is the most disgusting smell ever...I have heard it's popular...I don't think I have noticed anyone wearing it...except maybe the lads emptying the bins...(garbage disposal)....YUCK!!

Poison by Christian Dior

OMG this is sexual. Poison is way more obsessive to its tuberose notes. I believe people would never wore this in formal occasion such as wedding or press conferences, but in casual dinner or personal meetings, it works as fantasy itself.

Poison in adj:
    level 1: velvet
    lever 2: taboo
    level 3: aggressive

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

So sweet and powdery. It might be from the Tonka. I love the smell when Arpege reached its middle notes. It becomes more warm and woody. A very strong (read: strange) flavor emerge as per first spray on my skin. To the drydown, patchouli closed everything nicely.

Arpege in adj:
    level 1: sweet and feminine
    level 2: tropical petals
    level 3: warmth of caramel

212 Men Splash 2008 by Carolina Herrera

this is an ode to citronella. I found Splash is so kitcheney, since I use lots of citronella on my daily food (LOL). Splash is a fresh bright summer breeze, indeed, with pungent hits in top notes of citronella and citrus. Its aqua notes come up after 30 minutes to be more subtle and woody. I'm not into its base and drydown, because they are evaporated so quickly. But I insist, Splash is suitable for girls too.

++++'s avatar

Aramis Bermuda Tonic by Aramis

It is a scientific fact that everyone has unique pheromones that secretes from them and attract the opposite sex. In fact it's the lines between the lines between the lines for some scientists. The theory is that pheromones hold our DNA and smelling a strain of DNA that fills in the missing parts of ours (to create a stronger strain) is the basis behind attraction. (Love is truely blind)

Science aside it appears the lads at Aramis have found the exact scent that I personally emit, exaggerated and bottled it. I know this because the dry down on me effectively is unending and the scent remains well past the Spray on version of me has disappeared.

This isn't witty allegory, it's the truth, I am a walking $36 USD bottle of Perfume.

However, if you experience hot flushes and indescribable primal urges from this scent, we should do the right thing by evolution and arrange a rendezvous.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

To my nose this is not good, not good at all. Smells like a cat peed on cotton candy. This definitely is a love it or hate it cologne. I hate it.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This is a great scent. Starts with sweet vanilla, spices, fruit and I smell some other foody type aromas too. Once it starts to dry down, the food aromas calm down and give way to a woody, leather scent with just enough vanilla to balance it. This one begs to be worn on a night out, but I'm really enjoying it at work too.

27 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2009)

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

First spray, spice, some pine and cinnimon! Loved it. It really reminds me of sitting by the fireplace on Christmas eve. It's a very warm and comforting scent, and like others I picked up and excellent bargain on a half priced gift set. This is great stuff, it's not too long lasting though.

jarroditshallbe's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

A man puts on degree deoderant....
    Hahah. Thats all I got.

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

Personally I don't agree with the reviews. I find In Motion one of the most classy and sofisticated eau de toilette around there. the contrast between citrus and synth vanilla notes is extremely good and fascinating, very warm and fresh in the meantime, relaxing and energizing. It has something of the old tradition, while being extremely actual. An innovative classic. It's probalby my current favourite edt. cheers.