Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Anisa's avatar
    Anisa

Incredible Me by Escada

Its quite sexy. I tried this fragrance while touring Europe with my bf. I sprayed a bit on my wrists and sides of my neck, and let me tell you,,, I felt sexier than ever... Wow... it was delicious and my bf.. went crazy. There is something so delicious, playful, sexy about this fragrance. I felt like a chocholate cup cake.... Yummmyyy but not childish at all. Its sweet enough, sour enough, woody enough, floral enough, and chocholate notes make it irresistible!!! chocholate on my neck... who cold resist that... ;) Love it

Jovan Musk by Jovan

I expected a cheap, cheerful musk. I got a cheap, boring floral. The copy on the box promises to increase your "sex appeal," but this stuff is about as sexy as last week's mashed potatoes.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel is the one scent which I love, but would never buy for myself. It's too big, too intoxicating, and too loud for anything except a black-tie ball or a red-carpet walk, and I'm unlikely to be in either situation. A big, expansive scent like this requires a big, expansive personality to carry it off. Otherwise, it wears you instaed of you wearing it. I have many memories of smelling this on various women in the 90s, but I have no memories of the women themselves. Not a face, not a name, nothing comes to mind except that chocolate-strawberry-patchouli perfume. Take care if you wear this in public. You want to be remembered for you, not for your perfume

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Amber always smells good, but it can get boring on it's own. Ambre Sultan keeps things interesting with herbal notes that last longer than usual for an oriental. At the top, the herbs have a sharp, almost peppery character. Then, in the middle, they become vegetal and a bit smokey, with a bit of saltiness. That wonderful middle has the comforting feel of amber underneith the outdoorsy herbs. In the dry-down, Ambre Sultan becomes less interesting, with a more conventional vanilla-amber-balsam smell. Still, it smells great throughout and is a good choice for anyone tired of generic ambery orientals.

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Begins with a lovely accord of powdery rose and saffron. The dry-down, however, is disapoining, a typical vanilla-pudding gourmand. Nothing offensive, but nothing exciting either.

Warm Cotton by Clean

What's the point of the Clean line? If you want to smell like soap, just take a shower. It's a lot cheaper. I'll give Warm Cotton credit for living up to its name. It smells like fresh-from-the-dryer laundry, but why would a human being want to smell like laundry? The pleasure of breathing in the air out of the dryer comes as much from the warmth as from the scent itself. Here you get none of the comforitng warmth, just the chemical scent of detergent. Please, skip this and just take that shower.

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Spirit by Antonio Banderas

Spirit is an excellent men's fragrance - in fact, I find it to be the best "cheapie" out there.

It's a very warm and spicy scent with hints of tobacco, incense, cinnamon, and spices. It's a very unique smell, and the closest fragrances I can think of that come to this are Allure Homme by Chanel, Carlos Santana for Men, and Burberry London for Men. The fragrance has a nice spicy quality to it. As it dries down, the cinnamon (which I smell the entire time) mingles with musk, amber, patchouli, and incense. Very sexy and unique, and lasts a long time! I get a lot of compliments on Spirit, and for the money, it's absolutely worth a purchase.

27 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2011)

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Awash with noble gestures and an aura of an old-world gentleman, Egoiste demands to be taken seriously. The opening is a puff of majestic rose and delicate spice. The rose here is not feminine but takes a masculine guise. To accomplish this feat is difficult to achieve. Slowly, the gentlemen starts to get a little dirty with sandalwood coming to the fore. Adds an almost fecal quality to the rose that on paper smells rank. But on skin, the duality of the rose against the sandalwood smells divine. Just when you think you figured it out, the sweet notes of amber and vanilla reveal the 3rd dimension. The sweetness is bold and dynamic and smells wonderful. Just right for longevity and strength. This could be Chanel's best masculine ever.

scentimus's avatar
    scentimus

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

I find this scent to be very oriental in a very spicy yet contradicting fresh way. It very much plays on the same theme of Opium for men and Joop Homme of fresh contrast with spicy oriental.

While Opium will settle down of a woody vanilla scent Twice will continue to give off spicy tobacco notes to the point of being a little shrill.

It is a powerful long lasting scent and sillage is no problem with it - I would not recommend this for the office or hot humid climates either. You will either like it or hate it - I feel it is Iceberg's Italian version of the German Joop Homme. I do have give it a thumbs up for being such a powerful scent being lauched in the mid 90's marine light scents era.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar
    BlackAmberMoon

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Dirty English is old-school - in a good way - just like Burberry London. I love these leathery, spicy orientals on men. Very sexy!

ivan2057's avatar
    ivan2057
    Austria Austria

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A well structured and balanced scent inbetween citruys and sweet.
    That how it starts and thats where it ends.
    Threre is nothing sprecial or unique about this one becuase it's dull.
    You can easily wear it to the office because nobody will really notice
    but if they do you should rather tell them that's your soap instead
    of saying you paid for an YSL that smells like any other cheap scent
    from a department store.

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain

An utterly glorious green floral with notes of Lily of the Valley, Lilac, Rose, and Jasmine. I do not agree with others that say this is nothing but Lilly of the Valley at all. To me, the Lilac and Rose are much more evident throughout the middle and base than the Lily of the Valley is. . . and the Rose base is simply marvelous. The Jasmine is intermingled so nicely that it only peeps out in little wisps throughout - very nice. Longevity is also good on this one - lasting around 6 -7 hours.

5 stars

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

I can not recommend this enough. The minty top notes are refreshing and very inspiring. All in all, I think this one captures the essence of a walk in the garden sooooo very perfectly. Longevity is above average.

5 stars

jathanas's avatar
    jathanas

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

I'm not sure masculine is how I would describe the porterhouse steak and turpentine accords. As it evolves the meat-factory smell hasn't disappeared before the tyre burn-out note comes to the fore.
    When I do smell like this it is usually because I've slaved away cooking charcoal steaks for the family. I don't have any desire to capture that smell in a bottle, even though my son and I are rather fond of char-grilled porterhouse cooked medium-rare to perfection.
    In closing I would humbly suggest a rename for this product: "Porterhouse pour Homme"

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Armand Basi in Blue by Armand Basi

Blue = sporty in this case. Fresh citrus and a tad sweet. Different enough.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Scent 79 for Men by Jil Sander

All I smell is an incense floral that's a tad fizzy with poor longevity. It's nice but I'll pass.

Morgan de Toi Femme by Morgan de Toi

Morgan is a playful, girly, strong and loud perfume. It has a strong fruity scent.
    It is very similar to ‘Mwah’ by Chanelle Hayes. But, Morgan is more concentrated and lasts longer.

Top notes: Pink Pepper, Mandarin Orange, Raspberry, Green Apple.
    Middle notes: Rose, Lily-of-the-Valley, Jasmine,Tiara Flower, Grenadine.
    Base notes: Sandalwood, Musk, Morello Cherry.

Senso by Ungaro

Classic, mature and warm perfume with a strong floral scent.
    It is a floral-fruity type of perfume.

Top notes: bergamot, grapefruit, coriander, mandarin, peach and gourmand plum
    Heart notes: orange blossom, Damask rose, jasmine, carnation, heliotrope, orchid, tuberose and ylang-ylang.
    Base notes: amber, benzoin, cedar, cinnamon, musk, opoponax, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla and Tonka.

The starting scent is citrusy, but it is backed up with the strong floral scent in the middle notes. The combination of flowers in the middle notes creates a strong and unique feminine scent. The ending is sweet and a little flowery.
    Briefly, it smells like a bouquet of flowers.
    It is a very feminine and romantic perfume.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Fresh, watery, cool, citrusy and stylish scent.
    It is an Aromatic - Rustic type of perfume.
    The opening is similar to ‘In leather man’ by Aigner, as they both have grapefruit in the top notes.
    It is a spicy and yet a light perfume.
    Hugo is an energetic, daring, active and boyish perfume.

Aramis Life by Aramis

Fresh, spicy and stylish scent.
    It is a Citrus - Aromatic type of perfume.
    The opening is citrusy and fresh, but it is being concealed by the spicy and fruity scent in the middle notes. The middle is spicy and a little sweet. I’m not sure I’m picking up the floral notes. The ending is woody. The leather note is weak and almost unnoticeable.
    It is different than the other versions of Aramis, this one is more stylish and less woody and intense.
    Aramis life is an energetic, exciting, and modern perfume.

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Bijan for Men by Bijan

an arabian pirate from those johnny depp movies would love this. strong and masculine sweet. a bit dated and i can't see anybody under 35 wearing this.3 of the middle notes are commonly used as base notes. that ain't right!!!!!

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

perfect smell, with poor longevity as stated previously. a bit of citrus,spices and woods blended nicely but to no avail really. a definate romantic scent as is john varvatos for it's lack of projectivity. i like it though.

Goldaline's avatar
    Goldaline

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought Paris EDT in 1983, the very week it was launched in Harrods in London. I took a chance because I couldn't really smell it as I had a streaming cold. As I'd loved Opium; Rive Gauche, and Yves, I thought the chances were I'd like Paris, too. And I did. I wore it constantly for 3 years. I particularly liked the rose/violet mix, which I found uplifiting. I got lots of compliments on the fragrance, (but I also knew a couple of people who hated it on me.)

But has Paris been reformulated? Feeling nostalgic, I tried it again recently in a department store, and it smelt much sweeter than I remembered. It reminded me a little of Red Dior, which I can't stand. Or perhaps it's just my chemistry that's changed? It's a great fragrance, though, in a class of its own.

elfkincatcher's avatar
    elfkincatcher

Imperial Leather by Cussons

Imperial leather owes its origins to the Russian court back in the 18th century when a Count Orloff commissioned Bayleys of bond Street to create a perfume which wa originally called Eau de cologne Imperiale Russe. Bayleys was eventually bought out by Cussons in 1921 but Imperial Russe was nor ressurrected until 1938 when the original perfume was used to create soap and other toiletries by Chairman Alex Cussons - it was originally Russian Leather then eventually ....Imperial Leather.

Imperial leather is a distinctive perfume and I am very privileged to have a tiny phial of the perfume which probably dates from the 1940's ....I never saw it on sale in here in England. It was inexpensive. The perfume bares scant resemblence to the soap at first but as it warms up the leather comes through but with a touch of Oriental spiciness that the soap lacks. Not a unisex perfume at all ....unlike the soap! It is quite a sensuous little number without cloying sickly florals or invigorating citruses. In many ways it is a little like Opium without that heady cinnamon ...more subtle. A very beautiful little perfume and quite unexpectedly expensive smelling fragrance.
    On me - the longer I wear it the slightly sweeter it becomes but without losing that sense of the exotic or its sophistication...definitely no rough edges. Definitely one perfume to try and find! Wish I had more than the few ccs that are in the tiny little bottle as I'd love to wear it!!! I have no idea if they ever made a cologne or toilette water.

I can see why it was a favourite of the Russian royal family ....pity it was never marketed in recent years as a prestige perfume although you may remember the soap adverts back in the 70's with the family bathing in their private jet....the telephone call to the pilot when asked where they wanted to go .....'Bermuda looks nice'!

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Sour - Bitter- I can't really find a way to describe this but I don't like it at all. Just not good.

Aspen for Men by Coty

Great frag, very woody and masculine imo.

Avatar by Coty

Descent cheap cologne, wear after work out sometimes to cover up BO but would never wear it seriously.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Very much a hit with the ladies. I like the middle and base notes WAY more than the top, mainly because the top smells like a vanilla lotion a girl would be wearing. Once you get to the middle and base notes though it becomes very relaxing and quite sensual.

Gravity by Coty

Disgusting, VERY cloying, not a good mix at all. Don't even worry about trying this one.

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Has been compared to Aqua Di Gio so much, but is actually much better. Very very good for warm weather. Ladies absolutely love it. Honestly on me it last about 10-15 hours. DO NOT BUY AQUA DI GIO---GET THIS INSTEAD!