Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

Vetyver by L'Occitane

To me Vetyver L'Occitane is a fragrance that smells like earth. Its vetyver smells like real vetyver roots at its right point and you can smell it all along even though this fragrance is not linear. It's soft and warm. Stays with you the whole day. I have Vetyver Guerlain, Adolfo Dominguez Vetyver Hombre (which is my second favorite vetyver) and Carolina Herrera Sensual Vetyver but Vetyver L'Occitane is better constructed and develops better. I think that this fragrance is for men over 30. Wonderful fragrance.

archibald's avatar
    archibald

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Bought this blind, which I regret about as much as you can regret a $16 snag at a discount store--but since I picked up Dirty English and Story for the same price, I think can endure the letdown. Whether I can endure another wearing of SFpH, though, is doubtful. The first few seconds might lead you to believe you've got yourself a unique fresh fragrance, but once the fig and citrus burns off you're SOL for the next four hours during which you'll be subjected to whiffs of an amzing reproduction of the smell of clove cigarettes, a 100% synthetic-smelling freshness, very dry vetiver and wood, and a sweetness that seems unpleasantly out of place under the sharp and dry notes. I always try to give fragrances a full wearing but this one got washed off with extreme prejudice.

Jklax221's avatar
    Jklax221

Original Vetiver by Creed

To 99% of the population, this stuff will merely smell like a bar of soap; to the other 1%, it will still smell like a bar of soap--only the allure of Creed will precede their sense of smell, and a purchase will be made.

Nonetheless, Original Vetiver does smell quite nice; but so does a bar of Green Irish Spring.

Bar of Green Irish Spring soap: .99 cents
    Bottle of Original Vetiver: 100$+

Hence, thumbs down.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Ah Eternity. I remember when it came out, I was in high school and everyone wore it, including me. I've sampled it again recently and while it still smells good, it's nothing special. I can't really pick apart the different notes going on. It smells like... well, cologne. I think I smell a little citrus, maybe a bit of vetiver, and some sandalwood.

Pi by Givenchy

This smells good for what it is, it's just too feminine and sweet for my taste. Vanilla, burnt cotton candy, cake frosting are all what come to mind. Not much else to it.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

After first trying a sample of this, I knew it was for me. From the bursting peppered orange opening to the vetiver, black pepper, woody dry down. I love it. It smells both fresh and mysterious, refreshing yet brooding.

Vetiver Sport by Guerlain

Smells exactly how it sounds. it's a lighter, sportier version of Vetiver. it's not as peppery or woodsy and doesn't last as long though. But the soapy clean scent is nice. this is great for a quick spray before working out on a hot day.

Pi Neo by Givenchy

Starts off with some lemon/orange zest, and I was happy to not smell all the sickly sweet vanilla of the original. As it drys it pretty much left a dry cedar scent on me which I like, but I already have other cedar frags I like better.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

In line with many other Basenoters, G.I.T was my first taste of the Creed brand, and it was very different to anything I had sampled before. Now that I have tried many other top flight fragrances, I feel able to give an objective opinion of this now legendary brew. One of the early phases reminded me greatly of Aqua de Parma Colonia, but softened and muted in comparison. It works well as a fresh, green cocktail, and it is undeniably a beautiful creation, but a few small doubts remain about it's subtlety. For such a rich blend, I find this quite one dimensional and lacking in peripheral charm. This a special fragrance, marred only by it's ubiquity amongst the uninitiated, but I expected a little more progression than I got. However, this may be my problem, and not Creed's

Brit for Men by Burberry

This takes the same course as London, but it is a little sweeter, and is perhaps a little too eager to please. It dries down into a wearable and durable construction, and it is certainly one of the better modern offerings.Reviews for fragrances such as this are quite difficult as the product under discussion is so lacking in personality. This is safe, pleasant an inoffensive. Personally, I need a little more from something I will spend my waking hours with. I can easily visualise the sort of demographic this was designed for, and I do not think I am in that mix. It is efficient in what it is designed to do, but I cannot see this wowing many people under the age of thirty.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Despite my rather diabetic palate, I actually found this to be pretty good. It is undoubtedly a little too sweet for me to embrace this wholeheartedly, but this a well polished ride to the base notes. This appears to have quite a spartan arcitecture, and I think it benefits from this simplicity. Fewer moving parts means less to go wrong. The single ingredient in the mid notes gives it a great deal of stability, and the Olive Flower is an interesting choice. This is a solid package to take to a smart casual gathering.

frug's avatar
    frug

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

I had an aunt who always wore White Shoulders... I loved being around her when she got “dolled up” and perfumed. The fragrance is a classic white floral, very girly. I've read it's been reformulated since Elizabeth Arden took over from Evyan, others say it’s the same as always. Some classic women’s fragrances, Shalimar for instance, are as good as unisex these days, but not White Shoulders.

frug's avatar
    frug

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Woodsy, smoky, masculine… a refreshing throwback to the pre-unisex days, smells like a campfire on which some fragrant woods, incense, have been thrown. There’s even a touch of tangy rich soil in there. Dirty English is Heathcliff’s notion of a pretty fragrance. There’s a nagging sweetness here, though, that puts me off, and pushes the fragrance in the decadent Z14 direction, rather than toward Tommy Bahama’s elegant triple-dry smoke.

Sunnyfunny's avatar
    Sunnyfunny

Nuit de Noël by Caron

Does this really smell like Christmas or is it all in the name? I get all these beautiful Christmas visions in my head when I wear this. I get the citrus in the beginning (oranges in stockings), soft, warm flowers (lighted candles), subtle woods (the tree, of course!), and cinnamon. I think this is one of the prettiest scents I've ever worn.

Unforgivable by Sean John

After playing a fairly decent game of tennis, the man goes to his bench to relax. He has his shirt off, but hung around over his shoulders as he is seated, the sweat cooling in the air. He drinks a sports drink in heavy gulps. He packs up his gear and heads to his SUV. It is an expensive one at that. He gets in, music on with the windows down and drives to his home. It is a very nice "white pickett fence" house right on the beach. Upon walking in, the light from his living room's huge window falls on him.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

The shower turns off and outs steps a guy in his later 20's. He lightly dries off with his towel, and goes and sits down on his couch. He turns on the tv and very relaxed. He is still moist from the shower and the skin soft on him, his muscles calm and he falls asleep in just his towel.

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

A yonger couple is on a date to the movies. The male simple rushes ahead of his date, even maybe pulling her in his direction, hurrying her along. The man hardly cares for the girl he is on a date with, and you can tell it. He is anxious, looking around everywhere but at her and basically being a horrible date. Of course, she is not really having a good time either, she is just going to this movie at this point to get it out of the way. Something between them just did not click. I even pick up maybe before the movies, they had been getting along and maybe made out? and that was pretty much the end. Their little session ended up awful and now the date must be finished to be cordial, with a painful lack of conversation and eye contact. Not a pleasant date... if I did not get that across haha.

Bo Darville's avatar
    Bo Darville

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The opening was above average - an arid yet slightly tropical pepper and cucumber (the latter of which must represent some sort of sleight of hand judging by the listed notes) layered over cedar. Visions of walking the plank somewhere out in the Carribean with Blackbeard's cutlass gouged into your back spring to mind.

But, just when I was getting interested - POOF! - it was gone. We're talking within the first 90 minutes. I mean, they should call this juice Blackbeard's Ghost, it's so fleeting. I must note that I applied it rather generously from an open-ended sample vial; perhaps dowsing myself using an atomizer would have produced better results, but who's going to pay L'Artisan prices for that?

In summary, the opening (which is really all there is) is okay, but the longevity is absolutely criminal. Spend your well-earned bread elsewhere.

Edit 24 July 2009

I like this even less now that I've tried it during the summer months. Not only is the longevity subpar, but I find the lack of projection off the skin incredibly disappointing as well. I just don't understand the purpose of this fragrance. Utterly forgettable - another half-used vial for my brother.

28 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

Bo Darville's avatar
    Bo Darville

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

There's really not much left to say that hasn't been said already. If this is the olfactory equivalent to driving a Porsche, count me out. It would make more sense as a marketing tie-in for an economical yet sporty Volkswagen.

Essenz von Farfignuten?

28 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

Noa by Cacharel

Was looking for something a bit different. Noa isn't that "different" perfume, but it is lovely. Pretty and feminine. Had a 20 something male at work ask me what I was wearing so he could buy it for his girlfriend. Noa works!!!

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

Not really thrilled with this one. To me it smells like cucumbers but I receive so many compliments when I do wear it that I think its just me. Worth a try as everyone seems to like it.

Paul Smith London for Women by Paul Smith

London is in the same category as Angel....Horrible to my nose. Strong, with a strange cedar scent that never seems to go away. Takes hours to drydown to a tolerable powdery scent. Very reminiscent of hamster litter.

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

Feels like a downmarket rip-off of Bulgari's The Vert, which came out around the same time. A relic of the circa 2000 fashion for tea fragrances that holds no interest today.

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

Like legions of young women, I fell in love with this fragrance in the early 90s. Back then, it seemed an aquatic-floral dream, like a crystal-clear pond full of lilies. Now, it seems dated. The floral-Calone mixture still pleases, but it does not engage We may need another 10 or 20 years to look at it afresh. If it's still around. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it, but I've moved on.

Yatagan by Caron

For a woman--or at least for this woman--exploring masculine fragrances is a bit like dating. Most contenders make an agreeable first impression, but either don't stick around, or beome too dull too stick with. Some are men who you would marry--depependable, elegant, smart, rich and strong. (If some miraculous alchemy could transform Eau Savage into a man, I would marry him sight unseen.) Then there are the ones you would have an affair with--sexy and exciting but also a bit dangerous and not someone you'd want to be around all the time--men like Yatagan. It has the boldest, brashest, butchest opening I've yet encountered, a blast of lavender, wormwood and something resinous, almost urinous. It quiets down (relatively speaking) to a woody, herbal and very animalic scent with good staying power.

The very butchness of Yatagan is, IMHO, why women ought to try it. We all know that notions of masculinity and femininity in frgrance are just so much culturally ingrained nonsense, right? Come on, ladies, fight the power! (If you don't feel like fighting the power, Yatagan will induce the feeling, believe me.) I would totally fall for a guy who wore this, but, alas, I've never met one. So, I'll just have to wear it myself.

Citizen Queen by Juliette Has a Gun

Citizen Queen opens with a peculiar rubbery-leather-floral accord. Within a minute or so the leather takes over the rubber, and it becomes sweeter and somewhat soapy, with a fleshy undertone. The company calls this a chypre, but I don't detect the anything like the mossy woods of the genre. It dries down to an intriguing scent that is both meaty and cool, by which I mean that the first moments of a deep inhalation are sweet and meaty, but the final moments are almost menthol-cool. Excellent longevity. Very good and quite unusual, but at a price of $105 for 50ml, I expect something more.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I really like this fragrance. It is definitely a classic. It's not too strong even if you put too much on and it's very smooth. After the drydown it is a very masculine scent. This is a good fragrance for sporty people and it is good for a casual time. Everybody and their mother uses this cologne, but chicks still like it.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

This scent is clean but a little on the powdery side. The juniper stands out after the drydown. The sandalwood is almost non-existant. A couple of sprays and the scent last all day. Perfect for day or evening in my opinion.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Very soapy for an aqautic, but it was made in the 1980s, so whatever. It's good for casual outings, but i would not wear this on a date. I can also get a hint of an alcohol smell. But for the most part it is a sweet minty smell, and the sandalwood is heavy on the drydown. This is a very popular fragrance, so don't wear this if you are trying to stand out in the crowd.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This was the first cologne I bought back in 98. I think my tastes have changed since then, but overall I still like this fragrance. The top and mid notes are quite refreshing. The sandalwood is all I can really smell in the bottom notes. A good cologne for younger people. Not really my style anymore, but still it's a good fragrance.