Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Jaunty Monty's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Lime by Comme des Garçons

The best in this refreshing series from CdG. Initially, the lime notes stand out with a refreshing sweetness to it yet slightly tart also. This isn't confectionary! Over time however, the lime notes give way to quite a fresh and slightly sweet wood note. This rich and beguiling scent doesn't last long however but thumbs up for freshness, energy and fruit!

Bartlebooth's avatar

Curzon by Geo F Trumper

Sometimes you just want something simple that does exactly what it says on the tin. This is just such a product.After a rather soapy opening, it dried down swiftly and left me feeling clean and fragrant. The longevity was pretty good, and it retained it's class for the remainder of the day.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Magnolia Blossom by Bath and Body Works

Magnolia Blossom is my fragrance that I think smells higher end than it really is : )  Unfortunately it isn't in production anymore.  I went in to Bath & Body Works a few weeks ago, for the first time in over a year because I really wanted my Magnolia Blossom hand cream again, only to find that it is unavailable on their website, as well!  I have always liked sandalwood and amber, and honeysuckle too. I wonder if it is the magnolia in this that is so heady? Well then, I like that a lot, too. It is to me elegant, warm, and complex, easy to wear in the most casual of situations when I still want to smell pretty.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Velvet Tuberose by Bath and Body Works

I thought Velvet Tuberose had potential at first sniff and took the hand cream home without testing it. I was looking for something to ease my disappointment over Magnolia Blossom being discontinued and this one appeared promising. But when I put it on I found I was sorely mistaken. Not that this is a bad scent--
    I have a girlfriend who is very picky about fragrance and loves it. On me it smells like nostril-flaringly detergent-y fabric softener.
    Well, I'm loth to ever throw a full bottle of anything out, so I wear this around the house and on lazy days off when I don't want to put on makeup. Over time we have gotten used to each other and VT doesn't claw at my olfactories if I don't pay it the mind. I give it a neutral because I respect my friend's opinion and I kind of like the more complex direction Bath & Body Works scents have been taking. However, I am finally almost out and am going to go searching for Magnolia Blossom on ebay.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Good stuff. Sweet, smoky and modern. Vanilla and burning rubber, almost cloying but with just enough traction, if you will. I can understand why someone wouldn't like this - either the sweetness or the smokiness could rub one the wrong way - but that tension makes Bulgari Black probably the only good stuff you'll find in a department store.

Personally, it's almost too sweet for me to wear, but it's pleasant yet kinky, a great evening scent for people of all genders. The big plus for this stuff is its wide availability and low price, which is why I picked up a bottle.

In the same vein but on a whole other level is L'Artisan Perfumer's Dzing!, which is unafraid of the burning note, and throws in the surprisingly enjoyable wet cardboard note/phase, while toning down the sweetness as it takes us though our trip to the circus. But Dzing! costs 2-3 times as much, and I guess the fact that Bulgari Black smells the same right out of the bottle or 4 hours on (though less intensely, of course) is a sort of a plus, too.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I give guerlain's classic vetiver, the post-oakmoss-gate reformulated version, a thumbs-up, because it deserves it. Guerlain's vetiver is a very pleasant, well-balanced vetiver fragrance. But, perhaps as a psychological reaction to its overwhelming popularity, I don't get much from it. The earthiness of the vetiver is toned down, and the citrus notes are turned up, and I feel like it's trying too hard to please, to be unobjectionable and friendly, for my tastes.

Vetiver by Etro

A raw, wild and earthy vetiver. Makes me think of the very beginning of fall, when everything is still dry but the nights are getting a little nip, and sunset seems to take forever.

Whether Etro's vetiver is too raw is purely a matter of taste. Vetiver is a classic men's scent, and wearing Etro's vetiver makes me feel grounded, its earthiness makes me feel like part of the earth.

I really like this vetiver, and will probably use it to replace my comme des garcons vettiveru when it runs out, sometime in the next decade.

Yatagan by Caron

Eeegads! Yatagan! I give Caron's hypermasculine beast 5 stars and a thumbs up because it's just so... Yatagan. This is definitely from the 80's. This is what you reapply in the bathroom of you lear jet as you go from a hostile takeover of a company - and raiding its pension fund - to Vegas for a long night of misogynistic debauchery.

Basically, Yatagan is pine needles and castoreum. A lot of castoreum. Its very easy to stink for 36 hours with this stuff, it has so much castoreum. And it's probably real castoreum. I know, Luca Turin says everything's synthetic now, but they're farming beavers in Russia for fur coats, so it's not like castors are hard to come by. That's just speculation though.

(Castors are the scent glands around the anuses of many mammals. They produce an incredibly pungent compound, castoreum, which is diluted way down and used as a "fixative" in perfumes because it lasts so long, giving the impression that the upper notes linger as well.)

Seriously, though, I recommend trying Yatagan on, if only for the experience. I wasn't man enough for it: this stuff "wore me" (not I it), and not in a good way. You may be different.

I'd note that this stuff is a polar opposite from Caron's early classic Pour un Homme, a totally soft and sweet lavender fragrance that, while formally masculine, doesn't make me feel that way at all, rather, it makes me feel un-masculine, though not feminine. On the other hand, Yatagan gives me testosterone poisoning. That deserves a thumbs-up.

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

Yes, an imaginary flower. The luckyscent.com description gets very effusive, incandescent flower on another planet, yadda yadda, but I think CdG, as they so often do, hit their target. It really does smell like that.

It smells like a vibrant, bright purple flower, growing in the dark. It is sweet, captivating, and beautiful, but not awe-inspiring, for me at least. Nonetheless I really like this scent.

I only had a small sample, kindly provided by The Perfume House, here in Portland, but enjoyed wearing it during an afternoon barbecue. It's not very manly, at all, but it still made me feel very comfortable, kind and personable. It's my pleasure to recommend Comme des Garçons #3 to anyone seeking a lovely and unique floral scent.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

This is a rich vetiver that has both a smooth and a raw side. It is light enough to wear in the summer, yet has an appealing depth. It is very middle-of-the-road (IMO), without the high-pitched citrus of Guerlain's (reformulated) Vetiver, nor the wild earthiness of Etro's.

While a part of CdG's "cologne" series, I find vettiveru's strength to be fine; a good application will last 8 hours, though if you worry about putting on too much, a delicate application will burn off in 3. Personally, I think part of the reason CdG put this stuff in a 500mL splash bottle is to experience overindulgence in this bracing scent. Vettiveru is lively and masculine, making me feel calm and active. A lot of CdG's stuff is too sweet, raw or dorky for me, but vettiveru hits a real sweet spot. Highly recommended.

marcopolo's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

My favorite. Sweet, strong and powdery. It opens with a strange, but beautiful, floral accord, with a make-up effect, also a bit earthy, that comes from the iris note. Drying down, in the heart, I get a lot of cacao, amber I think and iris (more subtle but there) powdery and dry. The basenotes composed of leather, vetiver and patchouli make it more masculine and a woodier, but the smell that still predominates is the combination of cacao and iris.
    It doesn't hurt anyone's nose, but is strong enough to be remarkable. It's very rich, classy, complex and deep, noticeable high quality fragrance. As a sweet and strong fragrance, is better worn at night, or in colder weather. Great longevity (12 hour or more) and powerful sillage. Perfect for nights out.

fraise's avatar

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

I used to love DKNY Women, I have received lots of compliments. I remember that sb told me that it smelled like spring...!
    The last 2 or 3 times I bought DKNY TO GO ( 30ml), thinking that it was the same one.(that's what the saleswoman told me....) The truth is the smell was a little bit different, but I thougt that maybe this perfume did'nt suit me anymore and that I should find a new one.
    Is there a difference or not?

crono38's avatar

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

Starts off smelling like rubbing alcohol on me. Sillage is quite strong and later changes to an ok at best, scent. What made it worse was that I spilled it on the floor and my god, it smelled very very cloying. I don't recommend you try this. Bottle feels and looks cheap, no surprise that the scent is too!

03 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2012)

ComDiva's avatar

Sandflowers by Montale

Montale Sandflowers is wonderful... Sunny, sandy sea air in a bottle, with just the slightest hint of floral sweetness... The sand elements remind me of the sandy/sweet notes in Guerlain's "Rose Barbare" and also of a lighter version of the sand notes in Neil Morris Fragrances "Quest."

I imagine Sandflowers will be wonderful in warm weather, though when I first tried it, it was the height of winter, and I felt like I was taking an olafactory vacation!

Montale Sandflowers notes: Sea notes from the ocean, juniper berries, sandalwood and oakmoss.

edshepp's avatar

Cumming by Alan Cumming

OK, I just tried this again today. I tried it years ago. And really, I shouldn't be reviewing something that I just tried today, as I don't feel like I "know" it, but here's my quick impression:

First sniff: phenolic, burnt wood note. It reminds me of the leather fragrance I bought from The Good Scents Company. It also reminds me of a Bois 1920 scent which has the same phenolic character. The burnt-ness reads as leather. Wasn't crazy about that.

As it dried down, to me it seemed almost completely a leather scent--it got softer, a little oily maybe, kinda chemical and then inky. I loved it; I wanted it; but I'd just gotten Bel Ami a few months ago and Yatagan a few days ago. I couldn't buy another scent. Besides, it seemed like something good for layering, but maybe not as a dazzling main scent.

But the more I smelled that inky, chemical leather, the more I kept thinking, "I could make this." And if I could find some kind of castoreum or an extreme, extreme dilution of something grotesque like skatole, I could make it even "dirtier." I thought, "I could use that leather scent from tGSC and the oil called Baseball Glove by Christopher Brosius, which smells like chemical leather (and when I blended it with something--I think a caramel note--it smelled like just-washed hair)."

So of course when I read the notes here, and that it was a collaboration with Christopher Brosius, I wasn't surprised. And to be honest, when I think CB I think bullshit. Go to his store in Brooklyn and look at his "absolutes," which are all crystal clear and have the same viscosity. I think it's misleading to call something an absolute when it appears to be something ordered from a chemical company and diluted in something ending in "glycol." Also, what exactly is "white truffle"?? Isn't the smell of truffles androstenone and androstedienone?? It's a chemical found in human male sweat (2/3 of people can smell it and rate it with terms like "urinous, sweaty, chemical, woody"; 1/3 of people, who have a slightly different genetic makeup, rate it as pleasant and vanillic). It's also a pig pheromone, and it's used in stuff called "Boar Spray." I saw a can of this spray at a presentation by the New York Academy of Sciences.

At any rate, I like it as a leather. I wish the top note wasn't so burnt, and I wish there was just more to it.

And I wish "fragrance marketing" would go away.

Renato's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Fresh, very long lasting, citrusy cloves is how I'd describe this scent.
    I had a sales girl spray it on my arm, and I instantly bought it.
    Renato

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920

Whatever Vetiver is in there dissolves after a fraction of a second only to be replaced by the most sickening synthetic amber that will stick on your skin for days. This is badly made and overpriced niche at its worst. I'd rather walk around in any Hugo Boss fragrance you can name. Hideous!

jimmyfresno's avatar

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

This fragrance was formulated to be one of the first to contain a new synthetic molecule identical to natural deer musk, L-muscone, and is proprietary to this brand so far. For this reason alone, I want to try it. I am hoping that the drydown that everyone has described as being "close to the skin," or "not performing well on skin that is not freshly scrubbed," would be indicative of this musk component. Ordered a bottle today to sample.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Bvlgari nailed it with this one - this is the best aquatic I have ever smelled. I agree with previous reviewers that it does indeed capture the true smell of the sea - minus that awful, synthetic "marine" note (steer clear of the newer version of Aqva, which has this note in abundance). Classy, fresh, and sexy at the same time - well done! Beautiful bottle, too.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

As much as I adore Bvlgari fragrances, this is a big no-no. MUCH too much of that overly done, synthetic "marine" note that I can't stand. Enough already! The original Aqva is fantastic, however.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Un Bois de Sépia by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It's interesting to see the date of creation on this scent, as there seem to be a few imitators out there in the intervening years. Off the top of my head I can only think of "Wood & Spices" by Montale, but I know I've encountered this construction elsewhere.

That said, all imitators are indeed just that: pretenders to this scent. Blending is deft; while this is not necessarily groundbreaking, it is a fine cinnamon'd wood/ bark perfume. Not too sweet, very wearable. I'd buy it if I had the chance.

mrblowtorch's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

The only fragrance I ever wore that literally made somebody gag. Sorry about that, Whole Foods cashier! This is a true 'stealth' fragrance - starts with a lemon furniture polish note, which isn't too bad, and makes you think that the entire experience may be a good thing - then hits you with the cloying, headache-inducing base. Watch the birdie!!! (and then the knockout punch comes from the other hand). I'm halfway convinced that Dolce and Gabbana put this out as an olfactory joke, a passive-aggressive f*** you to the Bluetooth-in-the-ear corporate drones. If I was fully convinced, I'd give this a thumbs up. But I'm not.

mrblowtorch's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Oh Dunhill Edition! I had such high hopes for you! Back in the day, when I used to smoke, many years ago, Dunhill cigarettes were my favorite. I guess that's why I tried to like you so much - for old times' sake. But I'm sorry, you're just terrible. Bitter and unfocused. The only Dunhill fragrance I can stand is Dunhill D, and nobody else liked that one, I guess. Don't go away mad, Dunhill Edition, just go away.

The Duke's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I had been looking for a fragrance where tobacco takes center stage, and this is marvelous. It smells just like the name says. The tobacco isn't fresh, but aged fermented tobacco. The Vanilla isn't synthetic or too sweet, it is right from the bean. There is just the right amount of sweetness, and I feel that the vanilla is nicely tempered by cinnamon. The cinnamon is not out in the open, but lurking behind and smoothing everything out.

Hiris by Hermès

Hiris is a beautiful treatment of iris, a highly distinctive, yet versatile note. Some irises are doughy, others are metallic and screechy. Hiris opens with a bit of its characteristic earthy, rootiness, which is immediately tempered by the interesting use of the carrot note. Ever-so-slightly metallic and sharp, it softens quickly and becomes warmer and slightly powdery. As others have noted, it is never overly-sweet or feminine. It can easily be worn by women or men.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

It loves me, it loves me not. The perfect descriptor for my relationship with Eau de Merveilles. But I still give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. The opening notes strike me as either sharp and eye-opening or, on the worst of days, oddly camphorous. Either way, a few minutes later, citrus and woods make their appearance and those interesting salty skin accords tempt me to lick my arm, just to find out what is really going on. I also detect some quiet florals, poking out from behind those other strangely delightful notes. So why do I say it loves me not? If I have the slightest inclination to a migraine on a certain day, this one will bring it on. Headache-free day? Spritz away.

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

This is an amber that requires some patience. The opening nearly blasts the wearer with frankincense. Some reviewers describe it as sweet and boozy and others describe it as incensey. I agree more with the latter, although some sweetness is certainly present. On this wearing, the middle notes nearly caused me to layer on another fragrance, as I had done on a couple of other occasions. A strong birch tar leather note nearly overwhelms and had I not waited it out, I would have probably given AG a neutral for harshness. But, ten to fifteen minutes later, the edges softened out, leaving a soft, slightly resinous amber with just a hint of leather. The drydown is well worth the wait, placing this fragrance among my favorites in the amber category.

G-man by Gainsboro

A deep and rich leather fougere. Bare-chested and macho 70's precursor to all the powerhouse 80's scents. Very pleasant although smells very "dated". On the right person this could be the perfect "my beloved grandpa smelled like this".

Néroli by Annick Goutal

Long lasting skinscent. Could very well be from the Penhaligon's line. Reminds me of their same feel and texture of refined British class. Beautifully linear orange blossoms/neroli. A pleasing "pick-me-up" fragrance not to be worn for others but for yourself.

Vanille Bourbon by Il Profumo

A boisterous vanilla that comes across very woody and resinous. Very fleeting but potent. So potent that in the begining some of the vapors got into my sinus cavities and caused some terrible irritation and left a literal bad taste in my mouth. Lovely scent, unenjoyable experience.