Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I like this scent. The watermelon in the top notes is very pleasing. But, it does not last very long. The drydown is nice though. Once you get to the base notes I find the sandalwood very nice. Don't get this if you don't like the smell of sandalwood. A good cologne for a casual summer afternoon.

Black by Kenneth Cole

I absolutely love this fragrance. This has very good staying power. This is one of the few scents where I actually get compliments from women telling me I smell good. I particulary enjoy the combination of the mandarin and the inscence smoke. Plus the watermint in the top note really gives it a kick. This is perfect for cold winter nights.

Brit for Men by Burberry

This scent is very powdery. But it also has a pretty mellow smell one the dry down. I personally enjoy this one very much, but i think it is definitely not for everyone. It reminds me of Bulgari Blu but more powdery.

Curve Crush for Men by Liz Claiborne

I blind bought this after a friend of mine said it was his favorite. I regret the purchase. This is a cheap cologne and the cheapness can be smelled. I abhor this scent.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Although the this cologne lasts all day, the smell seems to lack something. I really can smell only the pepper which may be overpowering to some people. Overall it's a good scent for a summer day.

Marc Jacobs Essence by Marc Jacobs

I love gardenia, and I really wanted to love my sample of Essence. But I don't. The notes sound soooo lovely: citrus, gardenia, other white flowers, sandalwood and musk... but all I get, from the first minute through the time it fades, is gardenia. Nothin' but gardenia. All gardenia, all the time. This reminds me of Coty Sand and Sable's more elegant sister... but I already own SaS, and it cost $5, and I don't need another gardenia fragrance. I won't be buying it.

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

I just love this one. I tend to spray lightly (I have the mini bottle, and have just ordered a large one -- I have a feeling I'm going to spending lots of time in this), and found that the sillage is moderate, just the way I like it, on me. It wafts when I walk, but it doesn't enter the room before I do.

I get mandarin and freesia first, and then the incense kicks in with warm spice. Just a bit later I get the tuberose, and the peony. The tuberose is certainly the star, but it's not a big screaming Fracas-type tuberose. The peony is cool and dry, probably the effect of the arum lily and orris, and not a fresh green peony. From here to the end, I get spicy florals, supported by warm woods. I adore it. It may be too heavy for warm weather, but it's cold, wet January now, and I plan to wear this a great deal.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I love tuberose... I love big white florals... I wanted to love Fracas... but it scares me. I applied with a very light touch, which was probably a good thing: I got big Maria Callas diva tuberose, and very little else.

Someone mentioned that the character of Fracas changes with the weather, and that may be a factor in my experience. It's cold and damp now, and I keep my house at 67 F in the winter. Perhaps if it were warmer, I'd get more of the other notes. I get very little citrus/herbal green notes in the beginning; the tuberose seems to appear right away and drown out everything else. The drydown got so quiet on me that it just about disappeared. (Maybe I shouldn't be so faint-hearted about application?) I will keep my sample and will try it from time to time in different weather. THis is a classic and should be appreciated -- I'll keep working on it.

Quelques Fleurs Royale by Houbigant

I obtained two 2-ml sample vials of this, and was all set to enjoy them. I tried a light application one evening and found the fresh citrusy opening pleasant (I get no currant notes), and the heart elegantly floral and feminine in that "French Perfume" sort of way. I dabbed some on the next morning before heading to work, and although I was wearing ponte' knit trousers and a sweater, felt as chic and elegant as a French woman in a chignon, a fitted suit and stilettos, tapping down l'avenue.

And then the indoles hit me. As I was pulling into the parking lot at work, it was suddenly as if this elegant French woman had taken off the silk thong panties she'd been wearing for a week and hung them from my rear view mirror! Ack! I rushed right into the bathroom and used the grit soap to wash my wrists. That calmed it down enough for me to tolerate.

Later, the drydown became the most exquisitely enjoyable I have ever experienced. Orris, amber, wood, and musk: sooooo wonderful. I didn't want to stop sniffing my wrists. However, I'm not sure I can endure the indolic jasmine heart just to reach the drydown, so I won't be purchasing this.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Recently I spent an afternoon at the perfume counter at Macy's, looking for a new perfume. At 41, I've long outgrown my drugstore scents, but only recently has my income allowed me to try higher-end stuff... and my beloved bottle of Victoria's Secret Pink (please, keep your groans to yourself!) is now relegated to a Spritz-the-Pillow Bedtime Comfort Scent. I re-tried all the classics and classic wanna-bes on hand there: Chanel No. 5, so great on my mom, goes sour on me. Shalimar, waaaaay too much patchouli and makes me nauseous (although it's great on my friend). Miss Dior Cherie, sweet enough to decay the teeth at twenty paces. Lovely, Deseo, anything by Liz Taylor: Bleah, patchouli. I sniffed those new fruity-sugary concoctions, too: Pink Sugar, Be Delicious. Ick. Then the SA sprayed some Daisy, and my immediate thought was, "It's so PRETTY!"

I get no strawberry from the top, just citrus and fresh green notes. It moves quickly into gardenia, which I love, and fresh jasmine, sprinkled with faint powdery violet, and the basenotes of woody musk (the vanilla is almost silent on me) linger with echoes of gardenia. Lasts about 5+ hrs on me, with a moderate spritz. It's not a developing, complex fragrance. It's just, well, pretty. It's great on days when I want to think about summer. I'm betting it will be light enough to wear in hot weather, too.

lamaman3's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

To be honest, I had a bit of a "WTF" moment upon the first spray. I was expecting something "clean and barbershop" so I was expecting a smell like old spice -Rive Gauche almost smelled dirty to me. After using it a few times - I really love it - The opening spray has a blast of fresh rosemary/lavender/brut and then it kind of settles into a warm, sticky, sweet, woody patchouli smell. When I spray this I can picture myself as one of those outlaw charachters in the wild wild west like on deadwood - getting a haircut and shave in an old wood panelled barbershop/saloon before stepping out into the dusty streets to a dual - smells like a freshly shaved outlaw to me.

Tdun's avatar

England England

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I love this stuff , It reminds me of chanel platinum egoiste only subtle, more mature, it doesn't scream 'SMELL ME!' . Its more self assured, more confident in itself. It also lasts for 8 hours + , at least on my skin it does.

Boucheron by Boucheron

My favorite scent. Reminds me of entering a fabulous party dressed to kill and dripping in precious stones. Since I can't afford any of the above, I buy the perfume instead. Strong, lingering but captivating and unique. Sexy, spicey, enchanting and mysterious. Demands respect, and has a spoonful of attitude. Love it.

Tuxedo by Long Lost Perfume

Why did it have to go. I loved Tuxedo. It was dressy, classy, sultry, and sweet. Bring it back. Bring it back!

Cayman Winds by Crabtree & Evelyn

As a linen spray the fragrance is timeless. Reminds me of visits to the caribbean coast. Citrus, exotic spices and a warm summer rain. Boring as a perfume. But again, an excellent linen spray. I can't get enough of it.

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I like the Paris Hilton scent. I wasn't too interested because of the name, but a friend let me try it and I was hooked. Playful, fruity and clean. Not the lingering scent you desire for a romantic date. But great for a day out with friends or family. I wear it to work and no one notices it. But I like it just the same. I usually wear Cool Water, this is fruitier and has charm.

sclaire's avatar

Imagine... Love by Bath and Body Works

I loved this scent when it was still in production. I wish it had never been discontinued.

Solo Loewe by Loewe

I already had great expectations, entirely fulfilled, regarding Esencia Loewe and Loewe para Hombre, thus my initial reaction, before I ever tested this scent was like: "Oh, even the historic house of Loewe wants to compete two of its most flawless creation, symbolizing old- world conservative class and luxury (of course, the two aforementioned scents) with a heartless neoliberal, postmodern world-order, symbolized by a an androgynous, unimpressive, metrosexual teeny cookie- cutter fragrance?". But I could have not been more wrong and, arguably, the launch year confused me a bit. Sure, it is hypermodern anmd cutting edge, yet with a lot of style, warmth, manhood, distinction and creativity. All these "pillars of wisdom" more likely to be present in an old school scent, were, against all odds, carefully and stylishly used and valued even here, just in a very different manner and a different composition. Initial floral- fruity blast, followed by a hint of... both sharp, icy and fiery notes, a variety of aromatic touches employed in various unexpected ways. Finally, at least on my skin, a highly powdery and also Mediterranean drydown, reminding me of Roma Uomo and Minotaure (other sooo typically Latin creations) but both with an extra edge and an extra ease and slighly more musky and, as I previously remarked, fiery than these two. Well, if most Spanish scents are either brilliant or ghastly, as other rewievers remarked, with regards to other e.g. Loewe, Rabanne or J. del Pozo creations, then this one is just one of the few who belong to the truly better half.

Revelation Energy by Pierre Cardin

Ok, maybe not the greatest male scent around, but pretty bearable (and not much more than this for a generic, summery scent. Oranges everywhere, a slight touch of sensuality and in spite of a very pleasant initial impression, the middle notes and the drydown lead the fragrance wearer, especially the discriminating and curious one, to a clean- cut but highly synthetic and sweet shower gel and cream note. Would have worked much better if these notes would have been put to use in a fruity mass market cosmetic product.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Left me with mixed emotions, could have been done much better. The Guerlinade note is here almost imperceptible and thus underused and I'm just suspecting that this scents is a desperate attempt by Guerlain only to capitalize on the craze of everything new, regardless if a novelty is truly an innovation or just a ripoff. While this fragrance is by far not repulsive to, it is no match to the classical male scents by Guerlain either, the few timeless masterpieces which wrote and rewrote perfume history. Too sweet and quite average longevity, combined with a desire to be trendy which could have been put to much better use in many other ways. Although it's by far no unpleasant scent and it's notes are good quality, it's just not my thing.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

The groundbreaking clash between floral and chocolate/patchouli has been much imitated but not bettered, indeed the masculine version seems like a pale knockoff. Ease off the application, this girl packs a punch.

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

This is darker and more balsamic than the original and makes an interesting twist. However, I feel that this obscures some of the clarity of the original and over-complicates things. It is still outstanding though.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This is a bold and radiant smoky incense that is somewhat dull as there isn't much else going on. Not fantastic but quite presentable.

tvlampboy's avatar

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Vawallpa has it spot on -- this is Ghost Man's younger brother. It's somewhat more removed from LM, yes, but not by very much . . . you really have the same fairly synthetic sweetness going on here, and the same strong lavender and amber notes. I far, far, far prefer Pi to Ghost Man, Hypnôse Homme and LM alike when it comes to admittedly synthetic vanilla vibes.

Still, I'm going to have to give this one a neutral for its lack of "punch" and its pretty pathetic longevity/sillage over all. Want sweet longevity? Grab a bottle of Pi and shut up already.

Cool bottle design, btw.

tvlampboy's avatar

Red Vetyver by Montale

What a bizarre little beastie this is!

I agree with foetidus that the vetiver is somewhat obscured here, but what I can't get over is the lack of comments on the creamy/almost gourmand notes I keep picking up on in this Montale. (Is that chocolate I pick up on? No, no no . . . vanilla, then? Much more likely.)

The wood and spice/pepper notes are very linear here, much more so even than in the often compared TdH.

A good Montale? Yes. A great Montale? No. The juice is not, IMHO, commensurate with the posh Parisian price tag. Still, a weak thumbs up for quality ingredients, great sillage, awesome longevity and skillful blending.

mademoiselle_nicole's avatar

France France

Homage Attar by Amouage

I almost burst with curiosity when I finally received my attar.
    The bottle was so tiny, I was almost afraid to open it.
    Also I had ordered it blindly and was full of expectation.
    So I bent down carfully and lifted up the minuscule glass ball that clothes the bottle.
    I stepped back and prepared for bending over the bottle in order to take the first sniff when it already hit me.
    That tiny little thing in a distance of about 60cm was emanating a fragranced aura - so proud, strong and fierce that I stood back amazed.It was like the dschinn coming out of aladdins lamp.
    Such a small thing and so much glorious power in it.
    It was as if a cristal clear steal blue sky unfolded in front of my eye.And it was just us wide as the open sky.
    What makes this breathtaking is actually the overwhelming strength it generates.Nothing for someone who wants to pass unobserved.
    It is a king/queen fragrance. I agree with what some said- its beauty is gender-passing. But it is not one of those horrid unisex nose-insults. It is just a gem, a jewel incarnated in fragrance.

The citrus notes are uplifting the whole construction without making a sad toilet water out of it.
    The rose is dewy ,yet strong.
    The francinsense lies as balsam under the crisp roseleaves and the oud gives it the radiance a king would wish for his arrival.
    It is a fragrance which makes me think of an open desert sky, and it also is a fragrance I cannot imagine on a person with an anxious heart or shut thinking horizon.
    It is as free and fierce as the tuareg.Son's of desert, courageous, proud, beautiful minds. Noble and uncompromising.
    No double tongued, vague thing.
    Though it is composed with just a few exquisit ingredients, it is everything else but simple.
    Its depth derives from the faceted beauty natural ingredients usually posses. This is also why they tend to overwhelm us.
    If this was a person, not a fragrance, it would be one of those rare people possessing inborn grace,charisma and authority.
    So there I was standing in front of my royal little treasure.
    I tried a teeny drop on each side of my neck and found myself wrapped into an olfacitve coat, one side icy light blue silk of sky, the other side the darkest blue velvet of desert night, over and over covered with stars....
    I am grateful for such a beauty, it is very rare we can still get in touch with such genuine fragrance crowns

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Duel by Annick Goutal

I get a lot of citrus tea and not a lot else. It's great if you love tea. However, I think you might get the same vibe from Gucci PH II a lot cheaper.

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

English Lavender by Yardley

As far as lavender-oriented scents go, this one is simple in its development and pure in its ingredients. The end result is a light fragrance very reminiscent of a spring walk out on the countryside.

I bought this after careful testing, so I knew that its longevity was pitiful, but what drew me to it was its amazing topnotes. I have not smelled lavender so mellow and easy-going since Caron PH, but unlike Caron's mixture, which eventually suffers from mid-note-crisis and turns into "baby vomit" as the vanilla picks up after a few hours, Yardley's formula stays soft and relaxing...and then it disappears. I cannot smell any basenotes in this EdT if my life depended on it. However, if used in combination with the soap and the roll-on, this fragrance can last for a few delightful hours.

29 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2009)

JackTwist's avatar

Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat by Guerlain

One of the two Cedrats I like (the other is Creed's). This opens with a burst of orange oil, then settles into a verbena/vetiver blend that is quite intoxicating.

I have no idea what is in this - I only note what my nose detects. It does not last long, nor does he Creed, but for the few hours that it does, it is quite a stunner.

Recommended.

JackTwist's avatar

Pure Cédrat by Azzaro

Disappointing in that with two applications and two people involved neither of us could detect any citrus at all, despite packaging claiming bergamot, citron, grapefruit and tangerine as ingredients.

All we got was a light reedy scent - similar to Caswell-Massey's gifts of sea bubble bath. And it was gone within half an hour.

Undistinguished and forgettable.