Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Rakhee's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

like a sip of cold milk, fresh but reminiscent of the underlying maternal relations; like sitting on a temple floor, the marble cold beneath you, but the air alive with warm energy and incense... privately beautiful.

Rakhee's avatar

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Initially a bold plastic rose, quickly dries down to a pleasant floral, little sillage - this is a private and discreet fragrance, very elegant... just a little too inoffensive for me!

Galleddrim's avatar

Realm by Realm Fragrances

I think Realm gets no respect because so many people see it as a "gimmick" fragrance. Just because they threw some estratetraenol (EST, pheromone chemical) into the mix.

First, as EST is a feminine pheromone, Realm is not intended to be a babe magnet. Rather, at such low levels, the pheromone would only cause what are known as self-effects, EST acting as a calming and focusing agent (Androstadienone has similar effects on women).

As for the fragrance itself, it is rather nice. Very decent sillage and longevity. The scent is somewhat linear, but rich, classy, and romantic.

The ginger is prominent, without making Realm smell like ginger bread the way Gucci Envy tends to (though that one is nice too), as the florals, herbals, and vanilla balance the ginger nicely.

everso's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Creed

This is by far one of THE weakest and worst leather fragrances i've ever tried. There is MINIMAL to no leather in this.....another falsely named Creed scent. This smells cheap and nasty to my nose....with no real development, sillage, longetivity or anything! I'm struggling to figure out what the point of this scent is......oh wait, i've figured it out----so people can pay $175 for a bottle that says "Cuir" and "Creed" on it...but doesn't accomplish the "cuir" part of the equation.

Just Me by Paris Hilton

Light and flowery, but mostly fruity scent.
    It is a floral fruity type of perfume.

Top note: Bergamot, Red Berries, Pink Peppercorn
    Middle note: Violet, Lily of the Valley, White Rose, Freesia, Iris
    Base note: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ylang, Musks, Blonde Woods

I agree with (takemyhusbandplz) opinion.
    This perfume is very ordinary and boring and there is nothing special about it.
    So I don’t think it is worth buying, when there are a lot of perfumes in the market that are more interesting and unique.

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

Fresh, light and citrusy scent with a strong green scent.
    It is a Woody - Aromatic type of perfume.
    It is a modern and boyish perfume aimed at a young age group.
    It is not terrible, but it does not impress me either.

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

Elle has a sharp citrusy scent with some woody and spicy scents.
    It is a Floral - Woody Musk type of perfume.
    I find it extraordinary and mysterious.
    It also has a masculine scent, which is what drew me away from it.
    I also think it is very similar to midnight poison by Dior, but I prefer midnight poison.

Tony T's avatar

Bright Crystal by Versace

fruity and floral again. there are cheaper one's. there are more expensive one's. i like versace's take on magnolia, peony and musks. i am not familiar with vegetal amber but my friend wears this and it's lovely on her.

vesuviohm1's avatar

Woody by Arabian Oud

Cool log case---not sure what kind of wood it is, but pretty sure it does not resemble agarwood. Says, EDP...but really fades on me like and EDT. Maybe my nose is just used to sniffing really strong Oudhs, and oils, but i don't know. It Does have a nice fragrance, but does'nt match up to Many of my Ajmal EDP's. I've decanted 10ml for personal use and set it aside, rarely using it. I'm trying to sell 90ml and case for some dough towards Agarscents Shuyukh Oil 3ml at $225.00. Gotta get some Shuyukh!

lilirose's avatar

Imari Seduction by Avon

A very alluring, and sensual fragrance. The orchid and plum notes linger nicely as it settles in with the musk and amber base. Beautifully blended.

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I dont know why, but Glow is more like morning sickness to me. I can't handle the low quality of musk. Rose and flower content are fine so far. everytime I spray Glow, either on skin or clothes, it turns my head spinning. Well, Glow is not for men afterall.

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

to me Karma is a tradition as in "Karma" itself. I don't understand what about hippie scent, but this one could kick and stick for a whole day on the skin. Bold tangerine with slight patchouli (Nilam-in Indonesian) base. It might cheer up your day or burn down your figure in front of your clients. Choose one deliberately.

Karma in adj:
    leve 1: tangy
    level 2: sour juice
    level 3: mumbai tambourine

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Havana by Aramis

I have been wearing Havana on and off for 5 months.
    It does not evokes Cuba in my mind although I get the rum and tobacco notes.To my nose and brain it brings memory of exotic waters and humid days.
    Havana has a little bit of everything, woody, sweet, citrus, boozy , floral and very dry. It is actually a difficult fragrance, like one of those cocktails of all flavors and colors.
    Very manly as well, sillage is great and longevity more than enough.
    The bottle is simply awesome, so is the box. I give this one two thumbs up with pleasure.

29th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2009)

archibald's avatar

Story by Paul Smith

I also picked this up for a guilt-free $16 at Marshall's. Story smells and performs on my skin exactly as described in the other positive reviews, so I'll just add that the beautiful ivy note creats a vibe almost identical to the vetiver in any number of famous and far more expensive frags--so much so that if folks wanted to pick up Story instead of, say vetiver '48 (which has similar longevity on my skin) they could keep a Franklin in their pockets and not feel as though they're sacrificing much at all.

DolceBanana's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

Ladies, you may not like this one, but the guys love it!

I went to my friends house one night, she was prettying up for the night ahead. When i took a whiff of her neck, this smell hit me like a buzz, went straight through my body and woke up my good friend Johnson. I couldn't get enough of that smell! All night I kept smelling her neck and hair. Beautifull! Never has a smell aroused me like this one does. Awesome!

dyLO's avatar

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

Amazing. a lightyly sweet, woody, tobacco-y masterpiece. Get to wear in warm weather.

Persona's avatar

Trussardi by Trussardi

After reading wonderful reviews I gave it a try. I found it to be very loud and very soapy...
    I'm getting an explosion of patchouli, another bomb of sandalwood, an explosion of orange in a big cloud of smoke.
    Soapy dry down.

charger's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Picked up a bottle really cheap on a blind buy, and I'm glad I did. This is definitely an 80's manly mans powerhouse! Huge woodsy, leathery, soapy, grassy scents in there. A little goes a long way. Over spray on this could result in a riot of sillage.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It would be difficult to find a fragrance that polarizes opinion in the way that AdG does. Having tried this with an open mind, and being as objective as possible,it is clear that it does not deserve it's place at either end of the critical spectrum. It is a decent, if unsophisticated aqua fragrance, that seems to have been damned for it's ubiquity. Personally, I take a different view, and am appreciative of it's place at the top of the charts. This makes it so much easier for those of us who favour something else to be elevated above the humdrum.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

This glorious fragrance is served up to you as a citric punch, that induces the tendency for multiple wrist sniffing. It dries down seamlessly into a warm Sandalwood base that compliments the freshness of the opening. If one could bottle the essence of a "Gentleman", then I can imagine that it would be similar to this. Well mannered, urbane and discreet, I will be happy to take this out in the evenings as well as in the boardroom.

Stephan's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very nice fragrance, really BUT...
    Eau de Parfum?
    That's a joke.
    Very bad lasting power on my skin.
    Over applied, it makes me sick.
    Won't buy it again, like the other Artisan I've tried.

joestylez's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Very clean and refreshing with hint of something that just teases you that could make this fragrance amazing if more pronounced .

joestylez's avatar

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

wonderful fragrance , one of my alltime favorites

vcw's avatar

Purple Water by Asprey

Pledge (but to me in the bad way), plus citronella candle, and 8% DEET thrown in. Will pass on this one.

vcw's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

You're ripping a piece of heart pine tongue and groove out of your 1950's beach house. The blade on the table saw gums up and starts to smoke a bit. Dirty English. I like it. I don't think I would wear it in the company of others, but I might enjoy it on my own. Will likely pass on buying this one.

Squirt's avatar

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

I bought this one because my lady friend insisted that she LOVED it. Well it's not the most sexy scent I've experienced on her but she seems rather content with its "light and airy floral expressions" as she likes to say. I tend to agree that it is somewhat unassuming and it does have the staying power for a full day of wearing. Although the floral scents aren't strong it suits her personality very well, flirty without being obvious. Seems to me that what makes her happy will make me happy as well.

Squirt's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

I had heard such great reviews of White Patchouli that I couldn't wait to have my girlfriend try it on. She hated it. As she put it, "the smell threw you onto the floor and stomped on your head". It was rather strong on her skin and it just didn't want to let up on the strong scent of plastic. Hours later and it still smelled like plastic mixed with a heavy pepper, not at all appealing. That said she adored Ford's Black Orchid.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I tried this after reading of a short story in which identical twins could only be told apart by their fragrances - one wore Shalimar, the other Mitsuoko. I was a little wary after finding that Jicky smelt absolutely old lady on me, rather like trying on a stolen crimplene wedding dress. Surely this old frag would be the same? Yet it smells wonderful on me - the childlike note of parma violets counterbalances the maturity of it, and every time I smell it on me I feel a little giddy and minxy. A great scent for a sophisticated yet naughty occasion; think Mae West or Monroe on the grating.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

I was quite disappointed by this. I wanted an apple scent, a more grown up version of my Body Shop Original Sin apple splash. But it smelt more melony on me...as others have said, a great smell for a shampoo or body lotion (o, if only the Body Shop made a Golden Apple scent) but not enough for a frag. It is a good summer/daytime scent, though, because it's fairly basic and I don't find it overpowering. Maybe I was put off by once having a housemate, quite different to myself, who splashed the stuff all over...

Harajuku Lovers - Lil' Angel by Gwen Stefani

I tried this out after taking a look at the bottle in my local Superdrug - very cute Momiji-style bottles that are childlike in a cool Japanese way; definitely more me than the staid Chanel bottle. However, the frag was a disappointment. On first spray it smelt like a big jumble of notes with no separation - I thought I could smell crisp apple in there once it dried down a little, but the notes above say not. Then it started to smell very generic - reminiscent of Escada's Tropical Punch, a very young, sugary, fruity fragrance. After a couple of hours I got the distinct smell of Strepsils. Just not for me. It might be very nice for a teenager, but the cost of this makes me wonder who it's for - £12.95 for 10ml in Superdrug makes it more expensive than my YSL Cinema.

Cute bottle, though.