Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

mippy's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

I was quite disappointed by this. I wanted an apple scent, a more grown up version of my Body Shop Original Sin apple splash. But it smelt more melony on me...as others have said, a great smell for a shampoo or body lotion (o, if only the Body Shop made a Golden Apple scent) but not enough for a frag. It is a good summer/daytime scent, though, because it's fairly basic and I don't find it overpowering. Maybe I was put off by once having a housemate, quite different to myself, who splashed the stuff all over...

mippy's avatar

Harajuku Lovers - Lil' Angel by Gwen Stefani

I tried this out after taking a look at the bottle in my local Superdrug - very cute Momiji-style bottles that are childlike in a cool Japanese way; definitely more me than the staid Chanel bottle. However, the frag was a disappointment. On first spray it smelt like a big jumble of notes with no separation - I thought I could smell crisp apple in there once it dried down a little, but the notes above say not. Then it started to smell very generic - reminiscent of Escada's Tropical Punch, a very young, sugary, fruity fragrance. After a couple of hours I got the distinct smell of Strepsils. Just not for me. It might be very nice for a teenager, but the cost of this makes me wonder who it's for - £12.95 for 10ml in Superdrug makes it more expensive than my YSL Cinema.

Cute bottle, though.

Free Spirit's avatar

Halston by Halston

I clicked with Halston not too long after it launched in 1975, and I'm still wearing it, despite intermittent flirtations with other fragrances over the years. I guess you could say I'm married to Halston. I'm addicted to its warm, creamy, woodsy smell, and it does remind me of the sexy '70s. I just bought my umpteenth bottle at SteinMart, and I'm ready to spend the next 30+ years with it.

collegestudent's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I sprayed this on a card and it smelled amazing. Then I sprayed it on my skin and it smelled horrible! It doesn't smell fresh at all when it is on my skin, more like rotten celery. It makes me nausceous. The only great thing about this is the lasting power. You can spray this on and not have to worry about it lasting through the whole day and night. Girls love this too for some reason, but I want to love the scent I wear too. I can't give this a thumbs down because of it's success and the amount of bottles sold worldwide, but I am definately going to try to sell my 4.2 oz bottle that is about 92% used when I find another aquatic fresh smell to replace it.

Grottola's avatar

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

Ed Hardy Man is a nice spicy and woody masculine akin to the "macho man" fragrances of the 70's, unfortunately the top is marred by a grapefruit note that just doesn't fit. For the first 20 minutes or so on my skin it's rather unpleasant just because that note does not fit with the rest of the woods and spices. Once it disappears, I find Ed Hardy Man a decent contender.

29 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Is Creed giving away their "Millesime" accord to designers for free or something?

This is just a fruitier/soapier version of Silver Mountain Water/Millesime Imperial.

29 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2011)

fakepurseninja's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

A while ago I wanted a fresh casual go-to fragrance of the "Fresh n' Blue" genre (Paco Ultraviolet Man, Polo Blue, Issey Bleue,...) and wound up getting a small bottle of Cool Water Deep. As others have stated, it is like a (coherent!) mix of other fragrances, for me it is in the middle between Acqua di Gio and Polo Blue. No resemblance to the original Cool Water. For what it is it is okay, obviously nothing special or groundbreaking, but if you need an aquatic with a good dash of blueness and find Polo Blue just TOO blue, give it a shot. Sillage/Longevity was good on me.

colormechris's avatar

Kiss Him by KISS

This has got to be one of the oddest scents to ever come out; in everything from conception to execution. KISS Him by KISS, the rock band. Huh? They're not even a group anymore. Did the four of them get together in the lab to concoct this potion or was it just Gene Simmons behind the endeavor? Something tells me it's the latter. The bottle leaves much to be desired, but whoever created the scent was onto something. A couple of people have mentioned "sweaty rockstar armpits" and I must confess, when I sprayed it on, I immediately thought, "I bet this is what Gene Simmons underarms smell like." Not a place most people other than Shannon Tweed probably want to go. Let's put it this way. It smells a lot like a Middle Eastern man. For some people, that's a dealbreaker. For others, a complete turn-on. As it passes through the heart to the base, it begins to resemble that same man if he wear wearing head to toe leather riding gear motorcycling through the Sahara where he might stop at an oasis. Despite all this obvious imagery, the scent throws in some complicated olfactory twists that keeps you sniffing. In fact, the scent itself has that heady luxury you expect only of higher end perfumes. The irony is it's completely unsuited to the audience it's being marketed to, which I assume is the teen to thirties set.
    Perhaps KISS should bring out four new scents, one for each band member, like they did with those four individual records back in the day. As long as the quality was as good for each of those as it is for KISS HIM. KISS HIM, however, is just too outre to become a popular favorite. Hopefully it will stick around, but if it doesn't, it was a nice try.

odysseusm's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

I like the ingredients. I don’t like the fragrance. I didn’t expect a lot from it, and I do enjoy some inexpensive scents. But this one has something that says “loud and synthetic.” It starts with a lemony, fresh-mint note. Then there is something very powerful and soapy, along with a really fake sort of lavender and vetiver. Very quickly this gets tiresome, even irritating.

odysseusm's avatar

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

The fragrance note list from Fragrantica is LONG! And this is borne out in the scent, which is complex. The opening is spicy-green, accentuated by the aldehydes, and is powerful and slightly sweet. The middle is a floral-herbal-spice mixture. The carnation gives a real clove spice ‘kick’ and also a barbershop vibe. The barbershop theme is picked up in the tangy patchouli drydown. Also in the drydown are pine needles (yay!) and a significant dollop of vanilla (boo!). This is an interesting scent, to me it seems ‘old school’ in a good way. It reminds me of Rive Gauche pour Homme or even a less formidable Yatagan. As noted, this is the original version, in the red box.
    By way of comparison, the revamped Montana pour Homme in the blue box is a simpler, more translucent scent. It is drier, more lemony. It is more fresh and greener than the original – and thus I prefer it. But the original is a very worthy scent.

ivan2057's avatar

Austria Austria

Vetiver by Guerlain

Unfortunaltely a one-dimensional GREEN, GREEN, totally GREEN !!!
    It is hard to believe that Vetiver acctually has top, middle and base notes
    because you only get an impression of one which again is green.
    That I'd find very poor even if it was a cheap scent not mentioning a frangrance coming from the house of Guerlain.

I really like green and that one ( and only ) part that Vetiver has reminds me a bit of Gucci Nobile but it simply isn't enough!!!

Grabazzi by Gendarme

Loud soapy laundry detergent. If you want to smell like this, why not dab some softner on your neck?

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Meh. It's the more luxurious version of Davidoff Cool Water. The prominent violet leaves that lend both fragrances their character is, however, to the sensitive nose a bit too harsh.

Green Irish Tweed has very good longevity on my skin, but I find it a bit monotonous. It's violet leaves with a lot of ambergris and musk in the background, and it stays that way.

Definitely not a magic scent that will transform you in a MAN, but well, it's the Britney Spears of Basenotes.

Neutral rating.

30th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 February, 2009)

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I don't like it. It's too medicinal smelling, like a cough syrup. I prefer the original Egoiste. This one makes me think of medicine that I had when I was a kid.

Royal Delight by Creed

This stuff is powerful. My fingers smell like it when I touch the atomizer on which I spilled some Royal Delight when I was decanting it. In short, it's:

VERY leather
    VERY vanilla
    VERY jasmine

It's just VERY LOUD.

SirSlarty's avatar

Canali Style by Canali

Painfully average and dull. It smells great on first application... and several subsequent applications. One can barely smell it on themselves. It does, however have a strange sillage the sits around you in the location of where you've been spraying. So what's it smell like? A spicy, woody that's very watery and definitely Italian. A strange style indeed.

Merbert's avatar

Crown Ess Bouquet by Crown Perfumery

Crown Ess Bouquet is crisp starched linen and modestly coiffed hair. Its slightly bitter herbal components of lavender, basil and thyme work well with bright citrus. Alone, this would be simplistic but Crown introduces powdery orris and what my nose senses as eglantine rose and possibly something animalic like musk.

It is definitely a confident, no-nonsense fragrance with a very Edwardian sensibility.

Asha's avatar

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

I tried the vintage "Red Box" version of this, thanks to a generous BNer. I really want to love this one--all the descriptions I have heard are so luscious and inviting. On first spray, it has bracing, fresh herbs (a mixture of evergreens and probably lavender), with a soapy note and something sweet underneath. The herbal melange is rather harsh in the beginning, but it settles to be a balanced uplifting and energizing accord. I don't see that it is very unusual--it seems to be a classic and formulaic fougere. I think what makes this great is that it is very wearable, not pretentious and, at one time, was highly accessible at a good price. It also smells like it is going to have a really gorgeous "come hither" drydown. Unfortunately, as with many fougeres, I smell ammonia (could be some kind of hyperosmia). Thankfully it is not as strong as with some other fragrances I've tried, but it is pronounced enough to be uncomfortable for me to wear. The ammonia also makes it very difficult for me to pick out the very beautiful notes that most others seem to be able to experience.

Asha's avatar

Le Parfum d'Odette by Neil Morris Fragrances

I had a mixed reaction when I first applied LPd'O. It smelled like the world's best vintage handcream--like something my grandmother had on her dresser, something I would sneak whiffs of, but never had the guts to sneak a little for my skin. So, I had this impression of something classic, but at the same time, I smelled fresh dewey rose and a touch of spicy carnation, sweet vanilla and sugar-sweetened whipped cream. The drydown seems to also have a bit of gentle powder and amber. It makes me think of what Chanel Coco would be if it were more floral, less oriental and much less "big". LPd'O maintains its classic sensibility for a long time, never smells fusty, and is worthy of many deep inhalations. I love this for the nostagia alone.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Brandy by Brandy

Brandy is a cheerful and simple fruity blend of apple brandy garnished with cinnamon.

It's not earth-shattering or A-grade material, but it sure is charming and would work great as an air freshener.

30th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2009)

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

From start to finish, all I get is cassis (cinnamon bark) and orange. I don't like it.

Noraed's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Floral, powerful, and unique scent.
    It is a Floral - Orange Tuberose type of perfume.
    The perfume starts with a floral scent, which later becomes sweet and floral, as middle notes start to come out. The ending has a sweeter and a little musky scent.
    The floral notes in the middle are the dominant scent, which can be a little overwhelming.
    The perfume has a new and unique scent, but it does not motivate me enough to buy it.

bbBD's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I'm a little mad now that I've tried Hypnotic Poison. Mad at the basenotes community, mad at the fragrance world, and even a little mad at Dior. There is no good reason that I should have had to stumble across this myself, and there is no good reason that this fragrance isn't discussed at all, or even mentioned, when discussing other greats in the 'woody gourmand' genre. I will seek to correct this in the upcoming weeks whenever possible. Dior shares some blame in making this gem a Poison flanker instead of having the balls (and budget) to give it a distinct name and bottle - but then again we just know how Dior love to make flankers instead of properly art directing and marketing a new fragrance (Exhibit B: Dior Homme Sport). Perhaps if people didn't associate Hypnotic Poison with it evil older sister Poison it would be more successful and well known.

Anyway, I came across HP when I realized Annick Menardo is the perfumer of many fragrances I really enjoy. Lolita Lempicka, Body Kouros, Jaipur, Oriental Brulent and even Boss Bottled (the one and only decent Boss fragrance, IMO) are all in the oriental/woody/gourmand style I love so. Reading the BN reviews I started seeking out an inexpensive bottle and sample, but Dior didn't make it easy as HP isn't in all the malls and it's quite pricey for a designer flanker.

HP starts of with a thick almond/honey accord. The fact that the almond note is bitter keeps it from ever becoming too sweet. The fragrance meanders with touches of vanilla, amber, woody notes, and florals while all the while retaining the bitter almond accord that acts as the backbone of the fragrance. As with other Menardo fragrances, HP is never a full gourmand because there's enough going on that has nothing to do with food, but the effect is a fragrance delicious enough to want to spread on ice cream, just like a gourmand. The base becomes musky as the bitter almond slowly fades out, replaced by a woody/amber. Not a woody/amber like every crap men's fragrance these days has an Iso E Super woody/amber, but a real wood notes and amber notes base.

There are those guys who will insist anything with a gourmand note or that comes in a feminine-marketed bottle cannot be worn by men. This is an unfortunate viewpoint for these guys because they're really missing out. HP is a fragrance that would be sexy on a woman but equally unisex and interesting on a guy as well. I haven't played with it long enough to judge sillage, but longevity is pretty good, about 6-8 hours.

High recommendation.

Aznavour's avatar

Look by Vera Wang

Performs exactly as expected. The opening is nice -- the mandarin/lychee opening has some sparkle, but overall this smells like a vaguely fruity room candle. And I like odd scents, but Look never quite makes me want to smell like... Look.

More 'safe' than 'sophisticated', but perfectly fine for a young person who doesn't want to smell like she's trying too hard.

glitteralex's avatar

Armani Privé Pierre de Lune by Giorgio Armani

Despite being flat, as Iris-focused scents can be (Think of Hiris by Hermes), I do like this archaic scent. In this simple and decidedly unisex frag I find Violet Leaves, powdery Violet Flower and Iris (I note Iris only in the form of Orris, the aged root used as a fixative; I get no fresh Iris). Orris can create a soft powdery floral, as well as woodsy fixative notes. I do not classify this a a Floral scent in modern terms. The Armani site deems it "Sensual, Floral, & Woody". It is a little dreary, but very comforting, like a rainy day.

Interestingly, PdL's drydown is eerily similar to a bottle of vintage 40s Narcisse Noir pure parfum that came in a coffret I received as a gift, although the two bear few note similarities. I will do more research, but welcome any thoughts.

jonnyt's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Someone said that this smells of money. I agree with an edit, there are many frags that evoke the rich upper classes (older Guerlain, Trumpers etc), this makes me imagine recently rich Russian oligarchs or pop-stars.
    Very well put-together with great longevity and silage. I'd wear this more often but since I noticed the 'blood' note, I've been distracted by it.

newgabe's avatar

Joop! Femme by Joop!

The beginning lasts too little to worry about, then in the middle I came a thick waft like a car-deodoriser. It might have been a chemical attempt at orange blossom- I have never smelled a perfume that really captures orange blossom well. It was pretty horrid, nowhere as stomach dropping as Armani Code though, which has to be the lamest attempt at orange blossom ever. ( I use a lot of neroli as an essential oil, so I know what it really smells like!) Once that died down though, what remains is a long lasting powdery amber. I have some genuine Arab rub on block amber at home to compare with, and this is not too far different.

soirdelune's avatar

Baghari by Robert Piguet

Is there a single Piguet scent that I don't find utterly amazing? They're all so excitingly varied, and yet I'd wear each and every one, in a heartbeat. Baghari, for me, is a grandiose aldehyde, extravagantly flaunting that 'icing sugar' note so pronounced in this genre. At its heart is a riot of full-bodied flowers, at its base a haughty, resplendent musk. As with all Piguets, it cocks a ballsy snook at insipid 'feminines', introducing a characterful pungent accord (bitter almond?). Self-possessed, strong, but, resolutely, [I]never[/I] vulgar, Baghari is a curious, 'anti-feminine' feminine, that presents sweetness, light and flowers with citric acidity, powder and spice. As is so often lamented on these boards, they don't make 'em like this any more ...

Ostranha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

This is the way a fresh girly girl smells like. The kind of girl that you in some way become jelaous of, because you will never be able to be as fresh and nice and pretty and clean as her. But when you really think about it, maybe you just prefer being you. A little bit more dirty, interesting, and real.

++++'s avatar

Havana by Aramis

Just tried this and for scent lover's it's a must. If you purely enjoy fragrances as their own unique scent this is something you must experience, it is a sweltering tip of the hat to the port of Havana.

Wearable? Perhaps for a 6 foot Latino Samba-ing and Salsa-ing into the Night with many a Senorita.

As for myself standing at 6 foot with darker features but with no dancing flare and unfortunately no Mojito propelled Affairs with colourful wemon on a weekly basis. I don't beleive I could pull this off.

In fact I considered it amazing until the dry down which though spicy and smokey doesn't attract me as much as the opening and unfortunately your left to deal with this longer than the original cacophony of scents.

In fact if this scent was reversed I would have no problem going out on the multiple personality disorder drydown. It would be like the olfactory equivalent of smelling like the inside an impressionable teens mind trying to figure out what you want to be, this or this, left or right..?

It would leave all in awe and craving more trying to figure you out, meanwhile your subtly trying to figure out who you will be tonight. The Frank Abignale of scents, unfortunately the last two paragraphs aren't real.