Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Nostalgie's avatar

Dia Woman by Amouage

I had high expectations of Dia, given the untouchable beauty of other Amouage fragrances, such as Lyric.

On me, the aldehydes, rose, and peach strike a soapy chord, somewhat pleasant for its nostalgic associations. I'm reminded of Ma Griffe and other scents worn by grown up ladies in lipstick, scents which remain in my mind unidentified but indelible. Paris and Chanel No. 5 may be Dia's less distant cousins, not in note-for-note matches, but in general mood.

After some time, I detect Dia's orris and woodsy base chiming in, but too softly for my taste.

This fragrance is ultra expensive. I recommend sampling and comparing to other soapy mixes before committing to the purchase.

Nostalgie's avatar

Envy Me by Gucci

Last summer I noticed that a waitress at a charming Derbyshire hotel restaurant smelled like very nice shampoo and wondered what kind she used. She explained it was her Envy Me that I detected. I think that says it all. Envy Me smells like nice hair products. Fruity, floral, perky, and in a pink bottle. Quite pleasant, but I prefer Envy, which actually smells like perfume!

Qwerty2008's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The complexity of Chergui astonishes me. The ethereal, unfathomable loveliness of the green floral top notes with faint wafts of powder give way to an almost masculine, voluptuous bergamot, burning wood and leathery cologne-like body before settling to a smoky, patchouli-vetiver warmth. It wafts from the pulse points to encircle the body, the three notes echoing off each other at various intervals in the drydown. I'll wear this even though it smells more like a man's perfume despite a personal preference for intoxicating florals. It conjures reverie...This perfume isn't for lads - Chergui would be the scent of an older, wiser, dangerously handsome world traveler, a man with a past but who is at peace with himself, and who is about to fall in love with a reckless, defiantly intelligent, complicated younger woman.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

In Black by J del Pozo

I own most of J del Pozo's scents and they are all unique...this is no exception! When In black is first sprayed, I get a spicy black licorice and black cherry note. Within 15 minutes or so from the initial application, a mysterious, sensual, darkness starts to emerge. I would classify this as a spicy oriental/ fruity/ floral...if that makes sence (It does NOT smell like pure fruit or flowers at all)! IMO, a male could probably pull this fragrance off because there are many mascueline notes of spices and smoky woods. I think I also smell hints of rose and patchouli throught the intensity of the other notes. Once this mellows out on my skin, it reminds me of flavored tobacco (smells kinda like a black-n-mild filled with lusch cherry tobacco). I only wear In Black when I feel daring enough to wear a unique bold scent. The complexity in In Black is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and I admre that in a fragrance, even if I can't wear it every day!

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

L'Homme Sage by Divine

L'homme sage is a black and white scent.

During all stages of development, the different notes of this perfume change constantly its character from pitch dark to an almost metallic white brightness - and back.

If you apply it to the skin, the darker aspects will prevail in the end. But if applied to a shirt, the brighter notes will remain after the drydown.

Black or white? It might attract those who cannot decide which side they are on.

Currently, I decide almost every day to wear it.

charger's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I was really impressed with how this smelled on the spray card so I got a sample of it. It starts out great, kind of sweet, a little smoky citrus, and dusty dry woods. It starts very masculin. But I didn't like the dry down on my skin. It started to smell like baby powder. If the top notes lasted longer, I think this would be worth it.

creamywildthang's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Crystal Noir by Versace

It is not very often that I would come across a perfume that takes me on a journey - as a die hard fan of cK's Euphoria, I just did not think I would find something as transcending as my Euphoria. Enter Crystal Noir. I stumbled across it by mistake - my fiance showed it to me and I was not convinced the first time I tested it. When I had a whiff of the top notes, I did not immediately like the top notes but I could tell that they were promising to turn into something that I was going to fall in love with.....and it didn't disappoint. I always loved Gucci Rush's gardenia notes but I did not buy the scent itself because I felt it lacked depth. Well, Crystal Noir filled up where Rush failed - the gardenia has a sexy, sultry, mysterious and dark depth to it. It goes have elements of both Gucci Rush and cK's Euphoria to it, but it puts a dark and dangerous twist to it. I am a fan of florientals and orientals and woods so this is just up my alley. It is quiet potent but I would wear it in autumn and winter - the heady spicy notes might be too much for my clients......in a good but not professional way. I love it and I am getting it for Valentine's Day. Either that or come the 15th of February, I will be a single woman and a certain man will have a broken heart and future.

Sterling Maiden's avatar

Coco Extreme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I love this one too...on me it starts off coconut, then turns into the most wonderful creme caramel sprinkled with a dusting of almond. It lsts forever, and by that I mean ALL DAY.

I'm wearing it in the middle of winter, and it's getting me through the coldest, darkest days, reminding me that yes, there are sunny beach days ahead, and this is what they'll smell like.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

This has a whisky type quality about it that I simply do not care for. It is a rather clumsy attempt at creating a sophisticated fragrance, and it simply fails to deliver on any level. I could have lived with the rather boozy notes had they evolved into something smoother,and had in any way finished well. Wearing this was absolutely no fun at all.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

This one is a little on the quiet side for me, too (okay, maybe a lot on the quiet side), but it's just so darned pretty that I can't help but like it. That thought sent me into a very slight emotional tailspin, as I couldn't understand why my heady, oriental-gourmand-woodsy-heavy incense-y loving self would actually like how softly and demurely Parfum Sacre played out on my skin. I go back and forth on this one-- at times it feels proper and refined. Then it somehow becomes terribly romantic.

southpoleexplorer's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

i'm relatively new to the whole perfume-experience & bought this one because it was on sale :- )
    from all the stuff i've sniffed & sprayed so far, i find this one most pleasant: a warm and kind smell, which gives me a smooth, comfortable feeling.

southpoleexplorer's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld

well, I love it! I may not be an expert, but I think this one is original & daring - especially on a girl! The bottle is quite arty with a nice dark-greenish colour which suits the fragrance perfectly.

WardrobeMistress's avatar

Florentyna by Marks and Spencer

This MIGHT have been reformulated since I bought my bottle, but this is my review of the one I have.

At first the alcohol is pretty overwhelming, but then...

The musk comes on strong here..from topnotes through to drydown. It's a very warm floral,and, although not listed in the notes, a heavy, dark red rose is the most dominant of the florals. Orange blossom and slightly spicy lily topnotes quickly dissipate, then its dark red rose and musk and dusty powder all the way down. There is something almost musty here, if you remember trying to make perfume from rose petals and water when you were a child, the smell of the petals as they start to go rotten and brown..that's what I am getting. This is a fragrance that lasts and lasts and lasts. 24 hours later the rose and musk is still most definately lingering in a powdery way. This is a VERY strong eau de toilette, and at a bargain basement price. Also availaible is a good range of bath and body products if you like to layer your fragrance.

As a fragrance in itself, this isn't really special enough to warrant a place on my dresser, but it's very evocative for me and reminds me of a certain time in my life, so for now, I will keep it at the back of the drawer.

Might be of interest if you like Creed's Spring Flower or Floris Florissa but are on a tighter budget.

Cutecthulu's avatar

Odalisque by Nicolaï

Patricia de Nicolai has a gift for fragrances that radiate quiet confidence. Not the kind of confidence that needs to announce itself, but the kind that stands patient and serene, secure in the knowledge that others will notice and appriciate its merits. Odalisque does not shout, but it makes its presence known--and what a beautiful, elegant presence it is!

It begins with a lovely, braceing burst of florals, with a strong jasmine note. It soon becomes a bit soapy on the skin, but far more pleasant in the air. (I get more compliments for this than for any other perfume I currently wear.) The soapiness quiets down, giving way to a mossy, slightly vanilla dry-down. Behind the more conventional notes is something animal and almost greasy, like castor oil, that gives an intrigueing edge to the composition.

For me and Odalisque, it was love at first sight. The sample vial so enchanted me that I ordered a full bottle before the vial was half empty, something I haven't done before or since. Try only if you're ready to fall in love yourself.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Sophisticated and warm, this is one of my favorites from Creed (GIT, being the other). My 18 year old son loves this as well, so much for the "old man scent". The "Woods of Portugal" do in fact, take me back to the days I lived on the Iberian peninsula, with the fragrance's longevity staying well into the wildly festive night and beyond!

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Confusing to me, just don't know how to describe it. Oh, wait I did... confusing. Save your $$.

Knize Ten by Knize

A roaring woody beach fire, then toned down to a spectacular, heady mix of wonderful floral scents that seem to change amongst each other. All my favorite flowers on my favorite leather couch...

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

New classic with stunning, soft florals and a little leather on a great dry down. Longevity is excellent for me. It's my weekend wardrobe favorite!

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

Like some other reviewers, I immediately got a hit of something like "fizzy peach/pear liqueur," more pear than peach, which I found refreshing and quite summery. I don't get the cut-grass note, but rather something pleasantly astringent, like gin. (Actually, I'm now rather inspired to make a mixed drink of peach schnapps, Poire William, gin, and seltzer... must try that sometime when the weather's hot...) It then moved into a delicious-smelling, warm, fresh blend of peach and rose, which l enjoyed for about an hour before the scent gradually trailed off into faint whispers of rose. Doesn't last long, but the comfort factor is enormous.

I bought this for my 13-year-old daughter to try, but on her the opening notes are turpentiny rather than fruity. "What does this smell like?" I asked her after spritzing her wrist, fully expecting her to get the same notes I got. "Paint," she said. Paint?! Then I sniffed her wrist. Yup. On her, it's paint thinner which moves into a gentle rose.

It's pretty pricey for something that I only find sweet and comforting. I'll use up my sample, and then drink my "Little Darling" mixed drink while smelling garden roses. Ahhh. Much the same effect, far cheaper.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Given the list of notes, I thought I'd adore this one. It is quite pleasant in the topnote phase, although a little subdued. As it moves into the heart phase (rose, jasmine, violet), I pick up an unpleasantly musty, stale, powdery scent that lingers for about an hour and then fades as the fragrance heads into drydown. This is probably the violet. This is not for me -- it reminds me of the drugstore scents my grandmother bought in the 40's and was still insisting were "perfectly good!' in the late 90's, although the liquid had turned dark brown. Bleah.

Except for the mustiness, which may just be my skin chemistry, it's quite pleasant. Feminine, floral, not too sweet.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

This perfume is the single cause of my patchouli-phobia. Seriously. It gives me nightmares.

As a pre-teen, I went on a rare jaunt to the movies with friends one night, and had the terrible misfortune to sit behind a woman who seemed to have bathed in this stuff. I had to excuse myself to the theater lobby in order to keep my stomach contents where they ought to be. Even now, years later, a whiff of this turns my stomach.

Odd: when I smell this, I barely notice the spices and florals. They're there, but they are so overshadowed by the patchouli that they are merely the lovely background against which the patchouli screams at the top of its voice. I adore spices, even clove, and I absolutely adore carnations, so it's a shame I hardly smell them at all in this skanky patchouli-fest.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This smells like... GRAPE JUICE. YES.

Plus there is completely no trace of it on my skin 3 hours later. There are much better alternatives out there and I would not recommend this, unless you are into smelling like fruit punch. But for some reason women love this, and I do not know why, so I can't give this a thumbs down and I don't completely hate this.

Reserve by Perry Ellis

This is such a happy outgoing scent! It just puts a smile on my face and makes me happy! Unfortunately it only lasts 2 hours on my skin so I have to spray it on my clothes. It is a good idea to buy the small 1 oz bottle so you can just carry it around with you and spray whenever needed. But out of all the fresh scents that I have put my nose to, this is definately the clear winner. If you are looking for a fresh scent definately put Perry Ellis Reserve on your list.

Brit for Men by Burberry

My roommate used this cologne and it is the cologne that got me into fragrances. I never knew cologne could smell this delicious, and I always begged him to let me spray some on before I went out. This has an unmistakeable burst of ginger, and then it settles down to more vanilla like. I have gotten many complements from girls on this when I go to a party, but something tells me that this is a more formal scent. I am now using Diesel Fuel For Life as my going out scent and saving every drop of my Brit for that special event. Highly recommended if you want to impress a certain someone.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Girls are absolutely in love with this scent, but almost EVERY guy has this, and the scent unmistakeably reminds you of the store, which leads to comments like this:

"Oh my God you smell like Abercrombie!"

Now I know I don't want people telling me I smell like their favorite store, but for some people that don't live by an Abercrombie store and this scent is uncommon, this would work very well. This smell is good, and the sillage and longetivity is amazing, but it is just too common for me.

Encre Noire by Lalique

Both thumbs up! Mesmerizing is right! The best vetiver (or should I say two vetivers?) that does last and last! Love the fact there aren't any top notes in this guy. A powerful, beautiful fragrance that takes you on a fragrance ride like never before, without the speeding ticket!

30th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2011)

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It's a vivacious (I hate that word) transparent fruity blend of apricots and a very light suede/leather. Works much better on women than men. (IMO)

P.S. I don't think this is like Cuir Ottoman at all. Personally, I prefer Cuir Ottoman over this. It's also fruity, but the leather is much more tenacious and present, with a slight dirtiness I appreciate.

30th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2011)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chant D’Arômes by Guerlain

This bright and refreshing chypre one of the most wearable you'll find! True enough, it is soft, pale, delicate, gentle, etc. Precisely the characteristic that makes this chypre a stand-out in its' class. I personally have trouble wearing Mitsouko, and also a few other classic, heavier chypres. Chant d'Aromes joins the ranks of "modern chypre" (alongside Chanel 31 Rue Cambon) in spite of the fact it was launched in 1962! Ayala has superbly deconstructed this fragrance in her commentary, I cannot think of any better words to Cd'A. Thumbs up.

31st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2010)

zztopp's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Notes:
    Top: Lime, peppermint, rum
    Middle: Bay leaf, Clove, Rose, Tonka
    Base: Tobacco leaf, Cedar, Vetiver, Incense

Czech & Speake's Cuba was based on company owner Frank Sawkins trip to Cuba, and a bottle of rum from Annabels nightclub in London. Cuba is a slick classical woods fragrance which successfully recreates various facets of the laid-back and joyous atmosphere of Havana through a restrained colonial British filter.

Opening with a "mojito mix" of zesty lime, uplifting peppermint and rum, Cuba makes a statement. The rum note is probably the best that I have smelled; it has a clean light-molasses aroma characteristic of spanish-style rum. Cuba's "mojita" opening leaves most other inferior renditions in other fragrances both shaken and stirred. It then changes gears and displays another perfect blending act of two notes: bay leaf and clove. The bay leaf with its clove-like spicy herbal aroma is infused with clove and rose to create a bright spicy-herbal spark which prevents the mojito mix from delving into the DUI zone. A couple of hours later, the tobacco leaf-dominated base closes out the show. The tobacco leaf note is of excellent quality; its moist, sweet and earthy/indolic and displays the leathery, caramelized tobacco tones expected of fine quality absolute.

From its mojito mix opening, a fragrant spicy/clove-y herbal heart notes and a moist rich tobacco leaf drydown, Cuba showcases skillful blending and good quality of ingredients. While its no lightweight interms of sillage, Cuba never plunges into "airline middle seat suffocation" sillage hell. Cuba is a sophisticated businessman in a fedora suit chilling out in a Cigar lounge, looking through the window at the Conga drum stage..
    **Comparisons to the supposed classic Aramis Havava: Cubas blending is far superior, with none of the clashing discordant notes that so negatively make Havana smell like a Castro regime. It also lacks the loud "Aramis" house note: that brash, synthetic, 80s porn-star moustache note. Cuba completes the demolition by making better quality ingredients fly off the skin.

Rating: 8.75/10.0

31st January, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A classy, but not stuffy, lemony citrus supported by herbs. I do get mossy tones in the base, but only one other reviewer notes them (oak moss is listed as a base note on my sample, though). Eau Sauvage make me think of Eau d’Orange Verte in formal attire.

31st January, 2009