Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

saraahj0307's avatar

Unforgivable Woman by Sean John

I clearly dont understand the negative reviews on this sweet innocent feminine fragrance. On me it smells delightful and i know other people who also love this scent. It is an inoffence smell i is perfect for work as it is not too over powerful. I can smell the cucumber, apple , jasmine, freesia and the coco de mer which gives it a slightly gourmand smell but not in a sickly way like Angel.
    Does need to be applied a couple of times a day though as the silage is not that strong.
    I have bought thid twice now and will continue to purchase it in the future

jr8399's avatar

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Soap! - It starts out very nice - Sweet, woody apples - Like the entrance way in Restaurant Bouley (the original in NYC). The black pepper gives it a nice warm spice, but there's something about the labdanum at the base that really smells like dish soap. Sillage is poor, but on me. Now, I get the references to Terre, but it really does depend on your skin - Mine's on the dry side, so the nice parts of this scent disappear to quickly, while I can wear Terre without it releasing its "bug spray" demon - that's the benzoin. But if I had less dry skin, I could see this being a nice alternative to Terre.

urgetopurge's avatar

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This smells very similar to a few other women's fragrances out there. Its the same as when a girl passes you and you can smell the peach/fruit perfume from ten feet away. Not, by any means, a bad fragrance.
    In fact, I would probably consider it the finest of these "peach/fruit" perfumes (even though this doesn't contain any peach). With that being said, this isn't really suitable for a man. Easy thumbs up.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

I do not care for the Juicy clothing line or their accessories but I like their fragrances. Viva La Juicy is a very well put together fragrance. It was a bit strong when I first applied it, but I sprayed myself all over (pratically bathed in it). That was a big mistake...I had a small headache because it was a bit cloying. I tried VLJ again with a few distant sprays and applied more as needed. What an interesting mixture of notes...hints of jasmine, amber, and sweet berries pulling through gourmands of vanilla, caramel, and praline...mmmmm. I do not smell the gardenia note at all. This fragrance is warm and rich and mixes well with my skin's chemistry. The packaging, bow, and jewerly attached to the bottle gives a special added touch. I don't think I would wear this in the day because it can be a bit heavy...I think it is better suited for an evening out.

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Touaregh by Il Profumo

I disagree with Joe_Frances that this was too feminine for a guy just because there is some rose in it. The heavy flowery (and maybe femine) note of yellow rose is balanced with a decent portion of nutmeg on a woody background. Anyway - who cares?

Yellow rose and nutmeg - for me these are the outstanding ingredients here - strange but intriguing!

It is easier to get this scent than to let this scent get you. I had tested it three or four times at the perfume shop before finally buying it. At first I thought it was quite nice. Then it appeared to me as a toned down version of Montale's Black Aoud and therefore unnessessary. Still I wanted to smell it the next time. I did not like the bitterness of the nutmeg. Then again I wanted to test it because it was so exceptional.

Finally it occured to me that I had become familiar with this fragrance and simply felt at home with it.

Longevity is OK and the scent develops rather linear. Aoud is not listed as ingredient but there is some subtle similarity, maybe due to the other woody components

Bartlebooth's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Sadly, this falls into the category of so many modern fragrances I have tried recently. An interesting and fresh opening promises an invigorating and progressive journey, but the whole structure collapses in a few hours. There is a place for light, slight fragrances that enliven a summer evening, but this is too trite and fragile to have any meaningful usage. There undoubtedly similarities between this and Burberry Brit, but the latter is a better balance of ingredients, has greater longevity and is worthy of purchase.

cK be by Calvin Klein

CK Be isn't half bad, a little soapy, but on the whole quite a classy fragrance for both men and women

The longevity (how long is lasts) on the other hand, is absolutely atrocious, I stopped using this purely because I would spray half the bottle on and it would still disappear before I even arrived to college.

I guess you get what you pay for (£26 for 200ml in duty free).

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

This is incredible! Reminds me a lot of Armani Mania, with a sweet and powerful opening with a smooth and sexy scent on the drydown. Definately a scent for the young, can be used in all seasons. By far the best fragrance I have come across.

Essence of United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

Essence of man is similar to CK One at first spray, but on the drydown it has a more masculine scent, but requires more sprays than CK One

About 7 out of 10

MDHiggins's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

I tried..., I really tried. After 3 days of wear I just couldn't deal. It's way too feminine. I don't smell anything but baby powder and a freshly showered woman. (Which by the way is a nice smell..., just not for a man's cologne.)

My wife enjoyed this on me so I won't give it a thumbs down..., but really not a good one. If you want sweet powder go with Armani Code (which I don't really like either..., but it at least smells masculine to me.)

31st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 February, 2009)

lisaocean86's avatar

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

I've just started experimenting with Bond no.9. I've received some samples and just tried Nouveau Bowery and I find it DISGUSTING! It doesn't smell like lime popsicle at all. It opened with citrus but then just developed into a horrid metallic scent. Excuse me while I go scrub this off.

RicoSuave's avatar

In Leather Man by Etienne Aigner

As the other reviewers have said, the sillage is extremely weak so I cannot rate this positive. But the scent is so nice that I can't go negative either. The previous reviews seem very accurate to me in their description of the scent, so I won't repeat. It's just too bad about the sillage. I guess this could be a nice "bedroom scent" for those occasions when your partner is guaranteed to be very close to your skin.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Pretty nice. thats about it. I was really expecting something amzing since it being Chanel. I guess it was because I purchased Egoiste before this one. Egoiste is delicious. I was expecting the same, but not quite that. it was more of an appetizer. Bergamont, citron, vetiver is what I mostly smell. its okay. Not anything special to me

Pi by Givenchy

Very sweet and warm. Smooth, and whiskey-like. warm warm warm. Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. Magnetic ice-cream.

The Dreamer by Versace

Very, very bright and light at the first opening. Very 'metro-sexual'. Not anything amazing. It does smell nice. I cant exactly think of anything that smells like it, so its pretty unique in its way. Must test before you buy. Glad I purchased it though. I didnt really get alot of tobacco and amber, its quite loud at the opening, then simmers down into a nice 'beachy' frag.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Very very tasty. Reminds me of Givenchy Pi, but more sensual. More vanilla, more gourmand. Very nice. It really projects in heat. Women really love it. warm warm warm.

sclaire's avatar

Dream Angels Divine by Victoria's Secret

I like this scent initially, but I find it to be a bit soap-y in the finish.

sclaire's avatar

True Religion for Women by True Religion

Smells faintly of wet paint and sour green apple. After about 30 minutes of wear, I couldn't smell it anymore. I would never buy this fragrance.

vintage*red's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Wow! I really like this one. The fragrance is sweet, but the ivy & anise add great balance to that sweetness. The bottle is sexy. The name is melodious. My reaction to this is very visceral as opposed to my usually cerebral approach to perfume. The weather is so cold here today, but I am warmed and comforted. I will be adding "Lolita Lempicka" to my ever growing collection. P.S. Not for those who dislike black licorice...PS After a short while of wearing, I developed a real adversion. It's too, too much and not for the faint of heart.

31st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2010)