Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Slate by Banana Republic

Yup, similar to ck One, Chrome and others but it's only similar when you first smell it. Later as it develops it becomes a fruitier citrus with a lively giner near the bottom. Smells very good, clean and casual. I think the name is a play on words "clean slate".

Asha's avatar

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens Douce Amere

Notes: Absinthe (Artemisia absinthum) , cinnamon, anise, lily, jasmine, tiare, tagette, marigold, musk, cedar (from luckyscent)

When I first tried Douce Amere months ago, I was expecting more of a spicy anise scent--even the notes would lead me to this expectation. So, when I didn't smell anise, I asked, "Where's the licorice they are talking about?" Finally, after several wearings, I realized that Douce Amere has a candy-like licorice top note that reminds me very much of black jelly beans. I happen to love black jelly beans as well as real black licorice, so the appeal of this fragrance is not lost on me. Underneath the licorice I smell vanilla and mixed soft woods.

In the middle part of the development, the licorice becomes more attenuated, less candy-like and more herbal. I understand the absinthe association more now--living wormwood foliage smells dusty, dry, herbal, medicinal, bitter, and only vaguely licorice-like. This is what I smell in Douce Amere, except that the absinthe is offset by sweet vanilla-like and coconut-like notes and some vague, unidentifiable florals. The woody note has become a bit more sharp at this stage. Although cedar is listed, it doesn't have the "cedar closet" or "hamster cage" type of cedar note. It is much more creamy, and mimics softer wood such as sandalwood.

In the drydown, vanilla, a tiny bit of licorice and mixed woods remain, continuing to give a sandalwood effect, which is sweet and only a tiny bit woody smelling to my nose. DA has a dusty and sweet powdery quality throughout the development, and overall is rather diffuse, especially toward the end. Other fragrances I would compare to DA are: Kenzo Amour, Kenzo Vintage Edition Peace (which is like Bulgari Black without the rubber), and most closely resembled by Keiko Mecheri Paname. All of these fragrances have a vanilla-powder sweetness with contextual variations, although Paname has a rather straightforward licorice note. DA is sweet, but the sweetness is offset by herbal pungency, resulting in an interesting twist on the oriental theme. I find Douce Amere to be more sophisticated than the comparison fragrances, but, in the grand scheme, it is not as sophisticated as other grand orientals such as Shalimar. I find the woody base notes to be very satisfying in Douce Amere, and for me, this is where many sweet/powder/vanilla/woody orientals fall short.

AnnaSa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this one, and I think Nu is a very good name for it. It has a transparent quality about it, like a veil. The opening is a bit cold and dark on me, but then suddenly a wonderful floral note appears - it must be the white orchid - and the drydown is divine: warm wood, incense and sheer musk.

I don't find it owerpowering at all, but not weak either - more like if you've applied it on clothes that you've taken off, but the scent still lingers on your body.

Awful packaging though, I absolutely hate the bottle.

everso's avatar

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

This is not a great leather scent as advertised. It's mainly composed of some green and floral cascade---with some light mint and vegetable like tones....but the leather notes aren't very nice----it's sort of a light, meaty leather. There's nothing really very interesting about this...and it has this strange sort of old-vegetable smell which i just can't get rid of...maybe even fertilizer-like. There are much better scents out there for leather than this------which is a FAIL.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Caesars Woman by Caesars World

After reading the 2 reviews here, I recognized this when I saw it on the shelf in TJ Maxx for $9.99 and purchased it. I was so curious to smell it that I was ripping the cellophane off of it in the parking lot on the way to my vehicle so I could spritz some on. I didn't like it. In my opinion there was something cheap, thin and cloying about it and I couldn't wait to get home to scrub it off. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever smelled and I can see that it could work for some, but it just didn't agree with me.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Eau de Réglisse by Caron

After testing a few Carons yesterday I can say that I agree with both the neutral and negative reviews here. Eau de Reglisse is just so-so as a scent. It doesn't last long. It's not very memorable and I'm sorry to say that you wouldn't be missing out on much if you skipped it altogether.

crunkjuice's avatar

Germany Germany

Leaves Homme by Ramon Molvizar

I sampled 2 or 3 of RM the other day but Leaves Homme stood out the most! After 1 h i catched this whiffs of my hand where i sprayed it. I bought it the next week! 98€ for 100ml but it's so unique and worth it
    It reminds me of hubba bubba chewing gum kinda apple like. That makes it seem synthetic smelling but its NOT! It's really fantastic and so intruiging! Its not cloying at all. When i jump out the shower i usually spray some on my chest. It has the same effect like Tam Dao or GIT to me.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Relaxing, fresh, cool & casual scent A very underrated scent, but never fails to please!!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Very sweet smelling scent (reminds me of cotton candy) It is a more "in your face" type of smell, but can be fun to wear for the right occasion

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Very citrusy, cucumbery, and peppery too, very versatile and easy to wear scent

Allure Homme by Chanel

Warm, sensual, and inviting scent it how I would describe it!! Not too strong and not to light!! Nice scent for semi formal to formal affair!!

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

To me it seems similar to Chanel Allure which I love!! Love the sweet & spicy blend the Boss offers!! Have loved this scent for years!! Great scent for the fall!!

Chrome by Azzaro

Classic fresh/ woody scent! Crisp and masculine smell, but not over bearing.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Great dry down on my skin!! I get compliments from people everytime I wear it!!

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Mature, classy, timeless, and sexy scen!t Rich is woods and spice! Great dressed up fragrance!!

The Dreamer by Versace

Bold, daring and mysterious scent!! Strong and annoying head notes, but the dry down is worth the wait!! Long-lasting and my favorite all-time scent!!

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci Pour Homme is elegant, classic, masculine and timeless!! A must have in anyone's wardrobe. If you love woody oriential, I recommend this scent!!

Dunhill by Dunhill

Very underrated and unique scent!! Has a very masculine dry woods type of smell, blend with a floral mix. Sophicated, refined, and confident scent!!

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Armani Code is a great nighttime scent for me!! It is an elegant and contemporary scent to wear. It is soft and powdery, yet has an edgy dry down as well!! Seductive, mysterious and warm describes the scent to me

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

D&G The One is a sweet & spicy scent! It has a soft base, but also has the rich, warm notes, of the ginger, amber, and tobacco!! I really enjoy the experience of this fragrance!! It is warm, exotic, and sensual scent. Great for the fall or winter!!

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Modern, but classic, masculine, sporty scent. Nice blend of notes from fresh, citrus, to musk. A great scent to wear from any occasion!

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

Notte Pour Homme is a one scent to remember!! It is fulled with warmth and sensuous woods, and chocolate to give a light sweet edge. Blu Note is more for seductive, mysterious and intriguing man. Great evening scent!!

Essential by Lacoste

Essential is just nice casual everyday scent. It is a fresh water/green smell.
    It does have a fragrance body activated technology. As your body heat rises the fragrance intensifies. Great spring and summer scent!!

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Very Elegant, exclusive, sophicated, classy scent!! Great scent for dressing up and special occassion!!

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

If you are looking for something different and unique Attitude might to the one.
    This is not a fragrance for everyone and must like the coffee/mocha smell in order to enjoy. The dry down is a woody, spicy, dark, blend.

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

The love the Perry Ellis from start to finish!! It is a woody oriental scent. It has grapefruit, Orris Root, resins, amber, leather and musk. Warm and smooth scent Great blends of notes!! Refined, yet elegant.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Very modern, sleek style!! It is fresh, sweet, woody scent all in one!! Crispy and elegant dry woody smell!! The longest- lasting scent for me and the most compliments I recieve as well!!

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

I bought this about 6 months ago, got bored of it because it was too subtle, moved on to other fragrances. Then I rediscovered it and I must say that after having gone through quite a number of frags, I think I am a fan of subtlety and understatement (although one could say that being the Extreme version, the normal version should be even more subtle - but If I do remember correctly, the normal version was just different and unappealing to me - I think I concur with the other reviewers who say that the original is just different).

Like other Bulgari PH frags (I also own Soir, which I love), this is a clean, sophisticated, light scent. It is generally inoffensive, and so suitable for office use.

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

Phew, cedar all the way! I do not smell anything much apart from this. I get bored of the scent very quickly and I have only worn it a couple of times at the most. I live in Singapore, which is sunny 365 days a year, and the cedar smell is just not suited for the kind of weather that Singapore has.

Not easy to find this scent in shops here, I only stumbled upon it by accident, and was swayed to buy it by the pretty bottle.

What I do sometimes is to lie to my friends and tell me I'm using CdG Kyoto :)

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

A clean scent, with an excellent tea note. I've not tried that many fragrances with tea notes but I must say this is one of the better ones, with good execution. As with most Bulgari scents, it is subtle, and longevity is just so-so (I would say about 3-4 hours). I think it is more an office fragrance than anything else, as it does not impose on the people around you.