Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Darhuuk's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I got an atomizer sample of this yesterday and decided to spray a little bit on the top of my hand just to smell it (I was already wearing Allure Edition Blanche, so I couldn't really spray it on me).

First of all, this is a really nice scent, but one I rather associate with a woman's scent. Still, not bad and you might be able to pull it off. I don't think it's something I'd wear though, maybe put a little on me before going to bed, it's kind of a soothing smell. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Second, the lasting power on this is completely insane. I sprayed it on me around 5PM yesterday and as I'm writing this review (some good 20 hours later), I can still smell it when I put my nose to my hand. Amazing!

jdstone's avatar

Madame Jovan by Jovan

My first "grown-up" fragrance, which I purchased with my own money at age 15. I thought it smelled very "French" and the $8.95 price tag was pretty high-end for me at the time. This sweet harmless little aldehydic evokes memories of 1976, listening to Queen, riding my bike all over town, and of my first love, unrequited, of course. I bought a couple of bottles on ebay for pure, unabashed archival enjoyment. Yippee!!!

jdstone's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I first purchased a decant of Yatagan from The Perfumed Court, knowing full well that I would not be able to get my husband to wear it. He has a nice natural scent of his own, so I don't force upon him my need for aromatics. I bought it for me. I am a fool for patchouli, though not of the head shop variety. But when it lies quietly at the base of a pyramid of dry citrus and herbals, it is most enchanting. I'm like a dizzy kitty lolling in catnip. Yatagan smells like the man I would be, were I not a woman. Breathing it in, I feel strong and self-assured. I can face a roomful of middle-schoolers and not flinch, not even slightly. Yes, I wear it some days. Today I wore L'Heure Bleue, tomorrow I may wear Courtesan, but I can guarantee that one morning in the near future when it is a cold, rainy Tuesday and I need a jolt of electricity to get me humming, it WILL be Yatagan, and none other.

Curve Chill for Women by Liz Claiborne

This one my not be bad on others, but it definately doesn't work for my skin. There other Curve scents that I like better (Curve Kicks and Curve Crush). All I smell is the green tea and wood notes, too sharp for my nose. I think the green tea and ginger gives a sharp cloying note that just grows sharper with time (smells like a bug spray). It does soften up after 35 minutes to a nicer floral fragrance, but I can't stand smelling 35 minutes of bug spray. It may work for others...just not me.

My Voyage by Nautica

This was a blind purchase for me. I saw this tester on eBay and bought it because it was $20 (with $1 shipping) for a 3.4 oz bottle, I figured that I would give it to my sister if I didn't like it. I am glad I bought this because it is a very clean and very fresh scent. The blue juice looks like the ocean and the bottle kinda looks like a boat. It is a light crisp aquatic/ floral on me. The notes I smell are bergamont, peony, citrus/ lime, and amber. It is light, soft, and so refreshing. My Voyage reminds me of a crisp sea breeze on a warm summer's day. It is very casual, this could be worn with jeans and a t-shirt or to the office. I love the versatility of the perfume, it is nice for every day wear. Nautica's My Voyage for Her is amazing.

Curve Kicks for Women by Liz Claiborne

This smells wonderful considering it is a cheeper fragrance. A mix of vanilla sandalwood, peony, and mandarian with ints of muguet stand out on my skin. A beautiful soft and sweet combination, I prefer Curve Kicks over Curve Chill (a sharp floral on my skin and to my nose). I would wear this day or night. It is not cloying or harsh just a soft, playful, flirty fragrance.

sammyo's avatar

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

At first it has very strong juniper notes and, like several of the EFM, a harsh alcohol scent. This means that to start with it smells like a premium martini.

The harshness fades quickly, however, leaving a very nice, light and clean scent. The cedar is widely commented upon but that and other so-called "green" elements are much lighter than in French Lover. But the clean and green side is balanced by a softer, slightly powdery angelica, all held together and adorned by a very fine touch of pepper.

This is definitely great for work, especially for banker and barrister types who do not want to carry too heavy a scent.

Others will be sorry that it is so light, almost invisible. If you want to be sure you are smelt, this may not be the scent for you.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Very clean and crisp scent. Lots of wet florals here. They are blended nicely in a way that none seem to really stand out much. Definitely not for everyone, but a good everyday clean scent for those who want one. No creaminess or powdery notes at all. The Darjeeling adds a nice complexity and the transparent amber gives it a nice light sweetness. Though it doesn't smell great on me, I can appreciate it.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

This is musky and dirty like the wonderful earthy smells that come out of humid dark places deep in the woods in the heat of summer. Very unique and sexy in a dirty and sweaty x-rated way.

This is definitely not for everyone. It won't appeal to everyone and it definitely isn't going to work well with every single person's chemistry.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Thick and spicy with bergamot, cinnamon and leather notes right up top. Dries to a sweet tobacco-floral with almost an amber-like note. I have gotten many compliments and questions about it, which means that people notice. There is some kind of animalistic-musky-earthiness about it that makes it sort of sensual. Definitely wouldn't place this in the oriental-style (bright florals with cedar)category. I think it's got too much sweet-leather-tobacco-spice for that.

fountaingirl's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oh I love this! I slathered it on the husband and couldn't stop huffing him. The first five minutes have a bit of a B.O. whiff if you get up really close, but stay with it. Once that dies back, the scent becomes pure rich musk, and it is a little smoky and just whisperingly sweet.

To me it DOES smell good. I had it on my fingers after putting it on the Mr., and I was very pleased. I would wear this myself even. Love!

fountaingirl's avatar

Almost Bare by Bobbi Brown

This may be a scent that is heavily dependent on body chemistry. I know that other reviewers have been less than thrilled, but i get nothing but a lovely soft floral opening, which dries down to a slightly powdery and veeeeery lightly woody finish. It is the perfect scent to wear on a day when you need to feel like you are wrapped in a warm cozy sweater fragrance-wise.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

As a citrus fan, I found this disappointing. The top notes remind me of harsh industrial cleaning fluid, and it never really recovers from this inauspicious opening. I was left with a one dimensional citrus spike that left me regretting it's application. Eau Sauvage and Acqua Di Parma do this type of fragrance so much better.

TallulahRose's avatar

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

I love the scent of fig, especially in winter, and given the great reviews here, thought this would be an easy favourite.

At first, it was lovely, opening with strong, fresh, clear fig notes.

But these green top notes of fig leaves quickly gave way to sweet, syrupy over-ripe fruit, which lasted for hours. The scent was so sickeningly sweet, that had it been summer, I would likely have been swarmed by wasps. The cloying warmth and stickiness of the fragrance made my stomach turn at the mere thought of eating a fig. And I can still smell the basenotes a full 24 hours later, like a bad hangover.

I much prefer Fresh Index Fig & Apricot, which balances the warmth with freshness.

Perhaps I am just unsuited to the Jo Malone line... I have always approached her fragrances with excitement, prepared to love them, and have always found them too aggressive and lacking in complexity. Surely there must be one in her line that I could like...

G_B's avatar

Silver Shadow Private by Davidoff

I tried it in a departmental store. It smells like a weak Echo. Will not be buying this.

abc1234's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

very refreshing and sweet. none offensive at all. has a romantic touch. My six-years-old son's comment: "candy"! ;)

abc1234's avatar

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

very neutral, pleasant, refreshing. Suitable for all occasions I think. I like it A LOT. My six years old son's comment: "cake" ;)

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Now we are talking for "the king of the kings".
    No other perfume got so many compliments as platinum did. No other perfume is considered to be "the best male perfume ever". No other perfume so old is still one of the best sellers worldwide of it's kind.
    It's creater Jacques Polge had a helping hand from gods. It's a woody attractive perfume in a way that you say to your self once you smell this "let me smell again and again and again" and finally if you put it on your skin, you get in love with your self. No doubt this perfume is a classic, modern, attactive, durable, masculine and the rest of the world.
    Provided that it will match with the skin of the person who wears it (and this is not easy), it's a dinamide of smells....and in combination with a good look, no woman can pass it just like this.
    Cheers to Jacques Polge one again.

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It's a pure male perfume but for ages of 35 and up.
    Indeed it reminds the old barber shop but in a way that makes you feel young of age but wise as an old guy. It gives you confidence and the commets are always good. Jaques merged the new era with the past decades and the result is beyond fantastic.
    It is durable but I would say that is better for the evening (summer or winter), not for the day light of summer and it's a perfume that you must put on your skin in order to get the better of it (after 1 hour). It takes some time but this is the best thing in this perfume. It shows you something good write away from the beginnig and as long as you have it on your skin, it gets better without make you bored the smell.
    Give it a try and do not just a book by it's cover or by the first page.

heeday's avatar

So Givenchy by Givenchy

I bought So Givenchy at duty free shop. I fell in love with the smell and always wear it for casual outing. However,it only lasts for 1-2 hours...

04 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2010)

heeday's avatar

Zen (new) by Shiseido

I'm a fan of woody and musk scent so i love this fragrance. It has nice woody, musk smell...so sophisticated. And it lasts for so many hours.

Apolo deus grego's avatar

Brazil Brazil

The Dreamer by Versace

Probably the best Versace's masculin fragrances. The accord of the heart and base is intense and very sofisticaty: tobacco, flowers, cedar and tonka bean.

This fragrance is really a dream!

Provavelmente o melhor dos Versace masculinos. O acorde do coração e base é intenso e muito sofisticado: tabaco, floral, cedro e fava tonka.

Essa fragrância é realmente um sonho!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

Azuree starts out with a sparkling bang that's pretty distinct and interesting, but by the middle it starts to smell like a combination of the new reformulation Rochas Femme and vintage Jolie Madame. For me it loses steam by the late drydown. For this type of scent I'd rather stick with Jolie Madame or Cabochard.

UPDATE: I don't know what formulation of Azuree or whether it was Azuree at all in that little 4 ml mini I based my original review on. All I know is that it was a different perfume than the one I'm wearing today, spritzed from what is left of a vintage 2 oz (60 ml) bottle of pure fragrance spray I purchased on Ebay a few days ago. When I was first prompted to try Azuree a few years ago, based on Tanya Sanchez's review of it in The Guide, I wondered what the heck she was talking about. What I was smelling in the mini was a sparkling light chypre with little staying power at best. But, what I'm smelling in this vintage bottle is a world class leather chypre that ranks right up there with the best of them (Cabochard, Bandit, Miss Dior, etc.) I'm glad that I sought a vintage partial bottle and gave this another try. If I hadn't, I would have been truly missing out on a gem. This has all of the classic chypre notes, and then some! I can't vouch for the current formulation, but I can say that if you come across a vintage bottle, do yourself a favor and snap it up right away. This would work for men as well as the floral notes do not jump out at you, but rather serve to temper the rough edges that Bandit seems to have while not making Azuree any less ballsy or fierce. While I like Bandit, I definitely have to be in the mood for it. Azuree is much smoother.

04 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2013)

reveillee's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Good summer scent. Can be worn to work or out on the town. My favorite of the allure line. 7.5/10

04 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2013)

Wrappings by Clinique

The BEST out of ALL the Clinique line. However, why does Clinique only sell this at Christmastime in a 1.66-ounce bottle gift set. I've been trying to find the 3.4-ounce clear bottle with the frosted edges and frosted gold cap. I cannot find this during the other time of the year. Is this some kind of marketing ploy to make Wrappings more elusive, rare, and hard to find (so they can raise the price?). I wish Clinique would carry Wrappings all year round, in the original size of 3.4 ounces perfume spray. I suppose they're hoping people will stock up on it and sell more when it only comes out around Christmastime. It worked! I bought four give sets! A wonderful, wonderful evergreen-laced fragrance for men AND women. I love it! It lasts quite well, too.

Estée by Estée Lauder

Estee does NOT have staying power at ALL. If you want the wonderful Estee scent, purchase the Estee Super Cologne Spray instead. They are two totally different things. The Estee Pure Fragrance Spray does NOT last at ALL. However, the Estee Super Cologne Spray lasts ALL day. I wore it the night before and could still smell it on my skin the next morning. The Pure Fragrance Spray comes in a 2-ounce bottle, the Super Cologne Spray comes in a 1.85-ounce bottle. Buy the Super Cologne Spray, otherwise you'll keep spraying the Pure Fragrance Spray to constantly freshen up. I highly recommend the Super Cologne Spray instead!

Estée Super by Estée Lauder

By far the BEST of all the Estee Lauder Fragrances. Don't mistake this, however, for the Estee Pure Fragrance Spray. This is the Estee Super Cologne Spray. They are two totally different things. The Estee Pure Fragrance Spray does NOT last at ALL. However, the Estee Super Cologne Spray lasts ALL day. I wore it the night before and could still smell it on my skin the next morning. The Pure Fragrance Spray comes in a 2-ounce bottle, the Super Cologne Spray comes in a 1.85-ounce bottle. Buy the Super Cologne Spray, otherwise you'll keep spraying the Pure Fragrance Spray to constantly freshen up. I highly recommend the Super Cologne Spray!

Chemistry by Clinique

A GREAT fragrance that smell similar to Jil Sander for Men. I still miss the original Clinique for Men, which had more of a tonic smell.

Happy for Men by Clinique

A great alternative to Acqua di Gio.

Quarry's avatar

Hierbas de Ibiza by Hierbas de Ibiza

Based solely on the words I'm about to write and you're about to read, HdI sounds like my ideal: "A lemony opening rides a trail of green herbs to a mildly sweet floral ending." The problem comes in that the scent lacks some of the femininity I'd like, and the whole experience is short lived. I like greens under almost any circumstances, but the lemon-and-floral effect was idealized for me when I learned to use a lemon soap in conjunction with La Chasse aux Papillons. The fragrance was fleeting but wowing. The search goes on. (I'm indebted to Chestnut for advancing my experiences in this category. Thank you, C!)