Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This has been said to smell like many things: Urinal cake, cat pee, semen. It is an oxymoron. Clean and dirty, fresh and sweet. Wonderful and disgusting. Clove and citrus in the opening and a wonderful musk and amber in the drydown and, yes, unmistakenly a discreet but distinct urinal note thanks to that infamous civet. I think it's true that you have to be european to really appreciate this marvel. We like things that are on the borderline between delicious and disgusting. We eat things that people from other parts on the world would'nt even touch (sausages made of blood, snails, internal organs, chesse that smells like rotten corpses...). No wonder it's a huge seller around here. Bourdon deserves a medal for making such an wonderful, anachronistic fragrance and not only walking away with it, but creating one of the greatest succes storys in modern perfumery. Apply it lightly and it won't fail you! (Semen, by the way, according to a Professor of mine back in medical school, supposedly smells like chestnut blossoms...)

Clean Men by Clean

It's detergent + bubblegum. Not apawling, strangely attractive, maybe because it is so artificial.

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

The official story says that Jo Malone was insired by a friend wearing a red dress to create this scent.
    Fact: It is the most masculine JM. Even her Vetiver is more difficult to be warn by a man.
    Everybody comments on how well it transfers the smell of pomegrenates in a bottle.
    Fact: pomegrenate doesn't smell to me. Not even a light herbal smell. This is why I hat it.
    Having said that I urge you to try this perfume as it is the most vibrant, inexplicable perfume I have ever warn. It manages to accomadate completely conflicting notes, and keep them side by side until the deepest of drydowns. First I get hit by a brief burst of melon, then an almost violent burst if campphor, followed by the sweetes cloves you' ve evers smelled. And then all the other ingredients that others have reported but I cannot separate.
    But what is most intriguing is that it lasts for hours and during the whole time you can inhale on your wrist and still be able to smell ALL the notes you have smelled during the progression of the fragrance. a truely amazing accomplishment. The only negative comment is that it feels sort of like a megalith. Sometimes I feel overpowered by it and I have to abandon it for several months in order to fully appreciate it again.

Royal Aoud by Montale

I have in front of me 9 Montale samples. I chose to wear Royal Aoud for a night out with friends. I have just come back. I have spent the whole night feeling ROYAL. this is Royal Aoud. I know what aoud smells like. But this aoud is the crown jewel. Etherial yet woody, sensual yet dry, lingering yet not cloying. If you want to know what aoud smells like probably this is the one. If you want to know what Montale is capable of definately this is the one.

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

This has a sparkling-green vetiver opening that is quite delightful! Green citrus notes (lemon, aromatic bergamot) and green leaves and herbal notes contribute to this excellent beginning. It is refreshing and most enjoyable. The scent develops into a lovely warm, comforting cushion. There is a haunting yet invigorating dusky-tangy quality that is so appealing! Light sandalwood is here: soapy, woody, aromatic. IMO this far surpasses Guerlain Vetiver. Those who like it, like it a lot; and with reason. Re-released recently.

Cédrat by Roger & Gallet

Notes: cédrat lemon, grapefruit, water fruit, cardamom, basil, mint, ozonic notes, musk, cedar, white amber, vetiver.
    This is a delightful scent: it is light, balanced, and elegant. All the notes are apparent and distinct, and yet they are moderate in amount and natural-smelling. The citrus notes are refreshing and appealing, as are the herbal notes. Special praise to the basil, which is very true to type. The ozonic note adds to the freshness but does not dominate in a tiresome synthetic way. This is a translucent scent. The cedar is pleasantly light and woody, the vetiver is lightly grassy, the amber and musk add some depth but not heaviness. Well done!

Rose of Kali by Neil Morris Fragrances

I always get dismayed when the very first thing I smell is a basenote, particularly when it is one I don’t care for. This suggests to me some kind of imbalance in the construction of the scent. Well, here I get chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. It is not a yummy dark chocolate, it is an odd, kind of indolic/fecal chocolate. The chocolate opening lasts for about five minutes. It settles down, and allows some pear and rose notes to peek through. There are some green notes from the myrtle, but not much incense that I could detect. Then the chocolate comes back, accompanied by a sweet and also piercing amber note. This is very powerful oriental, and not at all to my taste. Kali is a powerful goddess, a destroyer of illusion. All that is destroyed here, however; is my interest in this scent.

Heartwood's avatar

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

Another impressive achievement from Jo Malone. I typically dislike mint, and find jasmine troublesome, but here there is just enough mint to take the indolic, dirty edge off the jasmine. The mint does get a bit much mid-way through, but overall the result is beautifully balanced, shining and uplifting.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Thundra by Profumum

I wish this didn't morph into the patchouli base so quickly. If the top notes stayed around a bit longer, I'd easily splash out the $250 odd for this scent. Easily. The mint and mushroom smoky mustiness is really pretty damned cool. I find this easily wearable. But that lasts all of about 20-30 minutes and then its a nice enough, but let's face it, pretty straightforward patch.

However, at these prices, I'm not all that jazzed for a bit of interesting smoke and mirrors that's all front-loaded.

Scentologist's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

I give this a thumbs up because it is one of the best citrus fragrances I have come across. I say this with some reservations though. I love the mint and woods along with the orange in the top notes but I find the papaya a little irritating. Thank goodness that doesn't last long. The longevity is decent on me. I prefer the EDC version over the new concentree. The concentree seems to lose some of the character that makes the EDC so magical. Although I love this fragrance, I am hesitant to replenish at this time. Perhaps in the future I can be more patient with this fragrance and enjoy it once again for it's simplistic identity.

French Line by Révillon

I get cinnamon pepper and spice. Nice blend and many compliments and enquiries. Sadly not in production.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Powerful and long lasting. Many compliments but try and but the real deal. The fakes vary from good to bad. A bit pricey depending where you buy but worth it.

Havana Reserva by Aramis

Smoke and musky earthyness on me. Like both frags but this one is stronger.

jrd4t's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Crisp white incense with just the right amount of warmth. One of my favorites from the house.

mbanderson61's avatar

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

With notes of amber, African incense, labdanum, rich woods, and vanilla bean, Amber Absolute is an incense-laden amber, with a dark and smoky character. It presents a nice study in contrasts, both dry and warm, peppery and...well, not quite sweet. Thick, yes, and maybe even a bit syrupy. But there is nothing sugary here. Wearing it on one arm with MPG Ambre Precieux on the other for comparison, Amber Absolute hardly even budges the sweetness meter.

Except for a smoothing out of the initial strong smoky and syrupy notes, the fragrance remains mostly linear. This is also a heavy sillage scent, so go easy on the trigger.

holdenguy's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This cologne is very popular with the ladies, when i wear this I am recieving compliments from girls left, right and centre .. I defiently highly recommend this fragrance, I found with this 1 that there is no need to over apply it as it does project really well and is really long lasting, 3 sprays with this fragrance is all you need at the most. A great fragrance from Issey Miyake.

SirSlarty's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Knize Ten is disturbing and disgusting and I can't place why. I've tried it so many ways: light spray, tiny dabs, full force, chest, arms, cloth, paper... all ends up smelling like a rose dipped in leather tanning fluids. I gave it a fair shake and found it wretched.

benny's avatar

Tabu by Dana

Who needs Opium or Youth Dew when you can have Tabu? More ambery, rounder, softer then Opium, more complex, less pungent than Youth Dew... I love thr smell of tobacco leaves and overipe fruits in it. And the incense... it's so mysterious! Dont' wear it with heels and lipstick!
    I wear it with 501, my seventies vintage shearling coat and frye boots... it's not an hooker's scent, it's not a lady's scent, it's a real hippie scent!

05 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2009)

Gblue's avatar

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Power opens with a delightful heady Citrus and Aromatic blast. On me it is more Citrus, on a card, more Aromatic and spicy. But there is also some hairspray weirdness on my skin for the first few seconds.
    As soon as the Citrus note evaporates, it smells as though I’ve just been covered in lots of Talcum Powder for a few minutes. In the background to the talc is the ‘abstract’ floral we’ve been told is here. Slightly Rose-y and very pretty, for lack of a better word. All this time, there is a sweetness to the fragrance as well.

The heart of the fragrance continues the powdered, floral theme, but it’s sweeter than you’d expect from the notes. I definately smell Iris, the dry, powdery, slightly floral root of the Iris flower. And I feel as though I can detect Heliotrope, which also gives a powdery quality to the fragrance - try Ghost Sweetheart (on a card) to see what I mean. The sweet note is either Ambrette or Tolu, which is slightly vanillic. Also, there is something of Orange here, which could be coming from the Freesia, the slightly orange and jasmine scented flower. It smells more of Orange on the card than on me, though. And I must mention the sugar-coated Violet note that also seems to appear here. It’s like the Violet sweets but with a lot more sugar on, a quieter version of the pronounced Violet note in Guerlain’s Insolence. All the while, Power manages to radiate and cheer me up. It’s quite a happy fragrance.

As we reach the basenotes, the ambery, almost incense-like Labdanum appears, bringing incredible warmth to the fragrance. In this classic, dry Cedar wood base is where I believe Polge has hidden his Dior Homme accord, a light Leather, Iris and Cocoa trail seems to live here in the basenotes. I hope to find this in more of his fragrances, as it’s very appealing to me. I also noticed a similarity to Guerlain Cologne du 68 in the drydown.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

It's all about the choco-coffee and patchouli. (No, I didn't feel like typing in "mocha")

I have been on and off about A*Men for a very long time since I first purchased my bottle way back in high school, and guess what -- I'm back to likin' it and I'm close to finishing university. Yes, the bottle lasted all these years even after occasional use.

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Hugo by Hugo Boss

A delicate fragrance that is fresh in the beginning and gives a woody / musky dry-down after going off with the heart of spicy leaves and floral notes. It is suitable for everyone and for almost every occasion! A rather common fragrance that used by “many” for everyday wear. So, if you are looking for a special and distinctive perfume, it might not be a right choice!

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This is a very holy smoking incense fragrance. A little displeasent at the beginning but evolves quickly to a simple incense-leather smell.

This is very suitable to be a signature fragrance. Unique, top quality and lasts for hours. The drydown is exceptional.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

The ad of this fantastic fragrance gives quite a nice idea. It smells of soil, a very red and peppery one.

I would classify this as a natural/outdoor scent. It really does not smell synthetic.

The best aspect is that is quickly mixes with your body and smells like your own body's natural odor.

I would recommend this top quality fragrance for those who want a natural, unique and masterfully composed fragrance

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Oh my! I really cannot believe the negative comments on this wonderful fragrance. I started to think some of you might have an imitation!

This is one of the greatest fragrances out there. Lasting power is tremendous (12+ hours on me) and the quality of the ingredients is stunning.

This is not a cologne for everyday wear or casual wear. It is meant to add a classical and refined aura to the wearer. You should judge a fragrance for the reason it was composed, not for what you want it to be right?

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Gant Adventure by Gant USA

If you want a fragrane that is FRESH, LONG LASTING and with great SILLAEGE then this is the one ....

a summer, daytime fragrance that worths the money you pay .... go for it and you wont regret it .....

lilirose's avatar

Coco by Chanel

My favorite of the Chanels. Classy, warm, spicy.

Zhara8's avatar

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

The Hardy Boys hid in the old warehouse for what seemed like hours, waiting for the mysterious man from the luggage company to come back. "Maybe he won't come back at all." Frank said, shuffling his feet on the bottom of the crate. His shoes kicked up fragments of the wood; it was rough-hewn and easily released bits of fragrant sawdust. The crate also smelled of the spices it had contained at one time. It reminded Frank that it had been quite some time since they had last eaten. "Maybe we should just go home and try again tomorrow."

"We have to stay just a little longer." Said Joe. "We have to find out why he was digging out behind the old Merveilles house last week, and if it has any connection Sally's disappearance."

Joe had to admit that things had become rather uncomfortable. Huddled together inside the rough wooden shipping crates, the boys were getting tired, cold, and hungry. They dug through their pockets looking for something to tide them over. Joe had some hard candy, and Frank had a big, succulent orange he had saved from lunch.

"This will have to do for dinner." Said Joe, solemnly, and peeled the orange, releasing it's pungent oil into the dusty night air. He pulled up the collar of his borrowed jacket, which still faintly smelled of his father's favorite soap. "I wish Dad was here." he thought, but kept those thoughts to himself. He did not want to let his brother know that he was scared.

They ate the orange and the candy slowly, silently, as if even the sounds of their chewing would somehow give their location away, hidden as they were in the pile of old spice crates. Together, they waited. Darkness fell.

05 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2009)

steve_123's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I'll start by saying that I really liked this scent.
    It's very carefully crafted, actually too carefully despite the synthetic feeling.

It starts with a fresh cool mint blast, the mandarin couldn't reach my nose though.
    After 10 minutes the impression is "Who is that lady passing by with this wonderful scent on?"
    Yes, unfortunately the heart is a bit too feminine, but still very wearable roses for a man.

The base per 1 million site is exactly what they say. A soft leather scent wrapped in cinnamon.
    I have it on a test strip and after 4 days it smells like a brand new leather strap dipped in cinnamon. An enjoyable smell I'd say.

trenjct's avatar

Unscripted by Patrick Dempsey

For the price i paid for this, I love it. Of course, I'm a sucker for pepper and spices, so my opinion is totally biased. Still, considering it's Avon, not too bad. I liked it well enough to buy a second bottle to use as a spritz before sleep. It seems to have a relaxing effect on me. (So does Allure.) What can I say? I'm weird. Your results may vary.

foka's avatar

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

The best (or for surely in the top 3) fragrance I have ever owned. I very much like it, beautifull, sweet, but not too sweet. Just the one I was lookin for.

Bravo, thumbs up for sure.