Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

arcady59's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

This is without a doubt the most disappointing scent I have ever purchased. The opening is nice enough, but as it wears it smells more and more abrasive. Kind of reminds me of walking through my garden while the gardener is cutting the grass. I tried this cologne for a full week and for different situations; I wanted to like it so much, but every wear made me dislike it even more. I suppose it is an inoffensive scent, but given the price and the perceived "calibre" of the house, this is a real letdown. I have yet to find a Bond No. 9 that I truly like.

Sazi's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Lovely aquatic, one of the best from the top note to the dry down. Much better than aqua di gio and polo blue.

charger's avatar

Booster by Lacoste

Picked this up at a discount store for under $15, and for that price it couldn't be beat. I like the light, sporty scent. the mint and eucalyptus come through and give you a little burst of energy. This is perfect for summer, especially a quick spray before hitting the gym. It fades fast though, but at the price for a pretty big bottle, it's easy enough to spray a couple times a day.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I certainly admire this, but I cannot quite imagine how I would wear it. No opening application has ever drawn a "wow " from me, but this succeeded. It is astonishingly floral and almost unbearable, but it goes from zero to hero very quickly. In an hour it had settled into a fragrance still bordering on the feminine, but just staying this side of acceptable. I don't really have the personality to pull this one off, but perhaps this is one I will have to come back to when my taste evolves. This is unusual, but has great longevity.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

This is my first attempt at actually analyzing a fragrance, so here goes. I think this one has what is called sillage; at least on me it does. I've always liked the way Ralph smells but have never tried it on myself, until this evening. It is somewhere in the mid 30s outside, and that being said, this will be a fun one to wear in the summer. It reminds me of flowy skirts and flowers tucked behind one ear. It is initially very strong on me. I can definitely smell the fruit in the top notes, which quickly dries into a boquet of heady, sweet flowers, dominated by magnolia and freesia, and I think I may have overapplied it. The freesia is dominant three hours into it. Now four hours later that's all I smell.
    This is lovely! Bath and Body Works used to make two different fragrances, Freesia and Magnolia Blossom, both of which have been discontinued. This combines the best of those two and perfects it. Ralph to me is pretty, uncomplicated (a plus in one's first actual analysis), and sunny.
    And I'm almost 30. Rules are made for breaking. : )

Brooks Brothers for Men by Brooks Brothers

This is my husband's go-to fragrance. Not my #1 favorite of those in his collection, but it is, as others have noted, very old-school, clean but umabiguously masculine. I agree with Toughcool that the dry-down is the best part. This is most definitely the olfactory equivalent of pinstripes. Not daring, but tastefully done.

Aromatic Fragrance of Guajaco Wood by I Coloniali

I am a huge fan of this fragrance--on men. I don't find it the least bit sweet and probably wouldn't wear it myself, even though I like many men's scents and like woods in general. On my spouse, this one is warm and smooth, with a bit of spice, but the overwhelming impression is warm wood. Better for cooler weather, imho.

Insensé by Givenchy

Back in the 90s, Givenchy was promoting Insense and Amarige as his-and-her scents. I sniffed Insense first, loved it, and then proceeded to spritz my wrists with Amarige. BIG MISTAKE! I thought I'd been trapped in an old lady's hankie drawer--drove home with my wrist hanging out the open car window, then scrubbed furiously, and got a migraine for my pains anyway. I returned two days later and bought the Insense. The combination of the citrus-and-basil topnotes and floral heart completely won me over.

This is a bright, green scent--floral understood as something intensely alive rather than sweet and delicate. Having worn both Cristalle and Chanel No. 19, I thought I could pull this off as an office fragrance. But in meetings where there were only or mostly women, people kept asking, "Is someone wearing aftershave?" It's the balsam, mesdames--don't be fooled by the floral designation. After the first half-hour or so this registers resolutely masculine to just about everyone but me. I got tired of explaining and so gave it up. I still think it's good stuff, but can't convince any men I know to try it.

m.m.angel's avatar

Betsey Johnson Parfum by Betsey Johnson

I love it and get many compliments on it. Very unique fragrance and ends with a beautiful musk scent. Works beautifully with my chemistry. Disappointed with all the negative comments.

Al1ce's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Love in Black by Creed

Love in Black is a fragrance inspired by Jackie O. It's not ment to be a goth fragrance. Google her life story and you will understand the fragrance. The fragrance is also handmade.

lelando's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

This is very sophisticated stuff. It was not at all what I was expecting based on the reviews here, but I was still very pleased. It is very masculine, but more fruity and citrusy than I thought it would be. Its not overbearing in anyway and the longevity and sillage lack punch, but it doesn't dissappear altogether. It needs a couple of refresher sprays throughout the day and you will be fine.

This doesn't announce itself in the room, but rather provides the wearer with a pleasant and distinctive "aura"...at least that is what I'm told by those who've commented on it. All thumbs up, if you want to get away from mass market scents, which I have completely sworn off of, and you want something distinctive, but not kitchy, this is the stuff.

Its complex, without being complicated. Like an intelligent person with strong tastes and opinions, but with manners. I highly recommend this for the most sophisticated fragrance wearers in society.

omniray's avatar

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

i dont understand the reason of fragance houses release this kind of perfume, not bad at all, strong fruity-sharp ozonic aroma but nothing nothing new ...

omniray's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

mm,.. to me is an amazing fragance, simply you love it hate it... aromatic, impulsive, manly, energetic and very luminous.

06th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th May, 2010)

Quarry's avatar

Fleur de Narcisse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Admittedly, the opening is as wobbly and uncertain as Captain Jack Sparrow after a tankard or two. In a few minutes, the fragrance finds its direction and, strangely, that direction seems to be toward the tobacco shop, not the florist's. I'm familiar with the scent of narcissus in bloom, and CB I Hate Perfume M1 Narcissus is one successful rendition of that flower. L'Artisan's FdN is successful in being very pleasant, in a mild, non-smokey tobacco sort of way. I wouldn't mind having a decant of this because it's quite wearable and special (thumbs up), although a lot weaker than I'd like, however, as a floral, it has not met its label (so neutral thumb verdict).

ubuandibeme's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

They just don't make 'em like this anymore, was my initial thought upon sniffing precious drops of vintage Miss Dior. I couldn't wait to get this stuff onto my skin. Cool chypre leather. A brilliant composition forever lost to unavailable ingredients...like real oakmoss and high quality labdanum. The opening is only slightly sharp, then a flood of mossy greens wash through, introducing a careful blend of carnation, iris, jasmine and rose. Leather too, and plenty of it! Not aggressive ~ but steady, deeply womanly. To my nose it smells aged and dry, very pleasant. This quiet treasure is among the greats like Mitsouko and Coty's Chypre. Dated? Maybe. I see it more as a timeless classic of monumental worthiness! (* djuna and purplebird7 have written excellent commentaries on Miss Dior)

ubuandibeme's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Suprise and delight! A chypre, in the modern sense of the genre', that has completely blown me away. As bbBD, I too am captivated from start to finish. Part of the suprise here is 31rC's longevity...true enough, it is an EDT - wearing close with minimal yet ample sillage - but this stuff is tenacious! As far as the notes in this gorgeous blend are concerned, I'm at a loss of words to describe what I'm sniffing! This is one chypre that is completely wearable - which has delighted me to no end. Without the current use of oakmoss, the chypre genre' has suffered greatly. That being said, 31rC is a miraculous masterpiece. Even the most ardent lovers of oakmoss will be able to appreciate 31rC. It is decadent and luxurious - but remains ethereal. Lactonic and rich, an absolute dream. Honestly, I could almost drink this perfume...Jacques Polge + perfumery = genius!

colormechris's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Just found a couple of small bottles of this in a thrift store. About 3 ounces for a buck! Couldn't pass that up. Tried it on a few minutes ago and thought it had gone bad. There was a what I can only describe as a "stinky" quality to the topnotes. But both bottles smelled the same. After reading the reviews here, I assume that "stinky" quality is part of the formula, the civet/patchouli combo perhaps? I've never smelled Gentleman before and hadn't much desire. Just assumed it was one of those forgettable mass market 70's scents, like, say, Jovan for Men. Not so! It's incredibly complex after the drydown and the stinkiness goes away after about ten minutes, leaving a really erotic yet calming little masterpiece that you can't stop smelling. Being an old-school cologne lover, it won me over pretty quick. Merci, Msr. Givency!

06th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 23rd October, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

This is a perfect example of a garrigue fragrance (herbs on a warm breeze). It is an aromatic and powerful scent. Many of the notes is distinct and identifiable: bergamot (Earl Grey tea), rosemary (minty freshness), basil (green and soapy), thyme (strongly aromatic), artemesia (dusky and sharp). Together the notes create a herbal mélange which I find appealing. I see the comparison to Yatagan, but I find this closer to (and better than) the thyme/basil Baime. Never sweet, always assertive. Cologny and old-school? Perhaps. This is not a problem for me, I appreciate it.

SirSlarty's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

I like this a hell of a lot better than No. 5. It's less powdery, more rosy and floral (gasp! a rose scent I like?!) and a very fine resinous base that I find enchanting. I don't say this is good because it's Chanel... oh hell, yes I am. It's Chanel and it's good and the old stuff is more elegant than the new releases sans Coco Mademoiselle. Found a mini of this at a local swap meet and the charming lady seemed to not want to let go of it. I assured her it was going to a good home.

Gblue's avatar

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

he problem with the EdT is that it smells of hairspray right away. Making a customer wait about 30 seconds for that to disappear is hard work - I speak from experience. It went from Hairspray, to Parma Violets to Bubblegum, to a very girly Berries and Musk drydown. Insolence in its EdT form is nice.
    The Eau de Parfum, on the other hand, is the Berries with other fruits amped up in the top notes - I'm convinced I smell insolenceedpPineapple up top. EdP smells immediately warm, smooth and creamy. The top also gives a tease of Iris and a floral accord. Intensely bright, or radiant, this projects quite a distance. The card I sprayed last week still smells strongly of violets.
    The heart notes are both radioactive in intensity (don't look directly at it!) and incredibly persistent, dry and soft Iris, sweet and rich Vanilla, sugar-coated Violets with dirty and indolic Jasmine lurking in the background.
    The Violets are ever-present in Insolence, sat on top of a warm, sensual Musk note. The drydown of Violets, Iris and Tonka remains incredibly brash and ballsy - I believe it's very much the perfume for a sex kitten.
    To me, Insolence EdP is the perfect floral-fruity fragrance.

Gblue's avatar

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

No5 Eau Premiere is the newest interpretation of the fragrance. The original No5 was the Parfum, released in 1921 for gifts to the customers in Chanel boutiques. The Eau de Toilette was released in 1924 to make it more accessible. The Eau de Parfum was released in the 1980’s to contend with the power-fragrances of the time - like Poison and Opium. A common misconception is that the EdP is the “original”. I’d like to dispel that myth.
    The marketing for Eau Premiere wants us to think of No5 as a painting. Eau Premiere would be the watercolour. My interpretation of this is that it’s transparent, with soft edges. If No5 really is a painting, I’d like to extend the metaphor.
    The Parfum is the oil painting - beautiful but “thick”. The top note of mainly Neroli and Aldehydes persist for hours, and eventually there is a rich buttery floral left on the skin.
    The EdT would have to be a 1920s Art-Deco work, the Aldehydes here are softer than in the Parfum, the top notes are more ‘Peachy’ and it has a soft, powdery and Rosy heart. Romantic and classy.
    The EdP would be an ugly piece of Pop-Art. Loud, bright Ylang-Ylang over a sharp and Fatty Aldehydic note, similar to the Aldehydes of the time demonstrated well in Estee Lauder’s White Linen, with a slightly Animalic and dry Iris base.

With Eau Premiere, the first impression is indeed of lightness and transparency. The Aldehydes have obviously been toned down, as it doesn’t smell quite so ‘old’. They are in no way sharp or offensive, but instead have a feeling of modernity, they are still familiar. With the toned down Aldehydes, the citrus note that has been hidden behind them is free to make an appearance. A light lemon citrus topnote is supported by a light Neroli in the background. This makes the opening distinctly “fresh”.
    The heart is a soft Ylang-Ylang and Jasmine accord, slightly fecal and inky, and a floral bouquet note, which suggest flowers but never explicitly reveal themselves.
    The base is warm, soapy and almost buttery and lingers on the skin for a good 4 hours. The sillage reminds me of the No5 soap - I get a wonderful waft of it whenever I open the drawer that it lives in in my store.

The best thing about Eau Premiere is that it is still obviously Chanel No5. I like that a lot.

06th January, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd June, 2009)

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Extremely thick, syrupy, powerful, and rich. Herbal like Ambre Sultan, but much sweeter with a hint of smokiness from the incense.

What's special about this one is the sillage. It's a sillage monster alright. The good thing is that the sillage is indeed pleasant: resinous and sweet and to my surprise, without being too cloying.

everso's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

this starts off as a spicy, peppery wood and leather cascade with elements of plastic and rubber. my kinda fragrance....but a few minutes later, it settles into a dirty, muddy green and wood medley which is just plan weird....and then it transforms into a totally feminine, flowery and old-granny-by-the-window type of scent. the drydown of the EDP is simply unacceptable. Lady Knize smells nearly identical to this drydown, but is made better than this......and overall, Bandit just tends to smell quite cheap....which is unfortunate! FAIL!

Katrinket's avatar

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

Bought this for my mom, who loved the 1947 version. This version I'm reviewing is undoubtedly the 1999 re-revision. I love greens, and thought I might like this too, but it was a scrubber. Gave me an instant headache. First 30 seconds seemed promising, but then I just wanted to escape.

I tried spraying it onto a paper towel, and letting it waft, just to give it another try. Ended up taking the paper towel all the way to the trashcan outside, and washing that area of the countertop. Gave it to mom, she loved it, and instantly applied 4 spritzes, oh my aching head.

The bottle did have the "blowing grass" top, not the plainer lid I've seen pictured elsewhere. I had thought the grass lid was the 1990 version look, but mine must be the 1999 one, since I just bought it? (from beauty encounter)

Kaern's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Reminds me of Autumn and is quite powerful on me. Very masculine in my opinion with it's boozy absinthe opening moving into a still rather drunken pine forest. Something happened to the sprayer halfway through though and it started coming out like a jet of liquid -- doh! Rich and good -- why has the price been upped by L'Artisan with this fragrance though?

jagmartini's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I will forever remember the halls of my middle school smelling like this stuff and Aqua Di Gio. I didn't care for Tommy then, probably because preteens dont realize a little (of some colognes) goes a looong way. Tommy was a cologne that didn't appeal to me until my early twenties after I'd tried more of what was out there. However, I can see why this one was so popular fifteen years ago. Good casual scent for summer.

Fruity/oriental/clean.

bbBD's avatar

Patchouli Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

You hear the term 'hippy patchouli' thrown around quite a bit, and I often wonder what these people's reference point is for this description. Is it from the descriptions of other fragrances as such or is it from a hunch as to exactly what this phrase refers to? My reference point for the term 'hippy patchouli' are years on tour and countless hours in the back of a 1970 Westfalia camper. Hippy patchouli is dark, pure, and singes your nose hairs as it covers the scent of everything from bong smoke to weeks of BO. The closest any niche fragrance comes to replicating that scent is Montale's Patchouli Leaves.

This is long and roundabout way to say that CB's Patchouli Empire is NOT a hippy patchouli. It starts out with a significant citrus accompaniment that cuts through the patchouli and balances it. There is also a salty element that I can't quite identify, but it's there. This citrus fades over the first hour, bringing the patchouli more into focus. It never becomes overpowering, and in fact as the citrus fades the entire composition becomes musky. I'm smelling patchouli through a cloud of musk. All in all this is an interesting interpretation of patchouli, but nothing overly interesting. A little more ooomph towards hippy might do this better, but still nice.

bbBD's avatar

Aod by Lostmarc'h

I received a sample of this as an unexpected freebie, and I sprayed some on my hand on the way out the door. Within 30 minutes I forgot what I had applied, but I knew I liked the fragrance, and that it smelled familiar. When I get home I saw the sample, remembering what it was and re-applied for more complete testing.

Aod has absolutely no relation to "Aoud'' (lest anyone be confused). It starts as a lightly sweetened gardenia fragrance with a touch of citrus accompanying the gardenia. The sweetness is vanillic and I sense coconut (?). It starts close to the skin, but actually intensifies in it's heart, at which point the gardenia becomes more prominent. The drydown is just a fading of the gardenia and a lighter, musky vanilla accord. As with Losmarc'h's Lann Ael, it may stay close to the skin but it will last a long time. Lack of sillage is not a lack of quality with Losmarc'h.

The closest point of reference for this fragrance is Profumum Volo AZ 686, another Gardenia/Coconut fragrance, but the Volo AZ is about 1000x louder than Aod.

Great for gardenia fans....and there's nothing wrong with this fragrance (it's just not my thing).

julianne35's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I am using Narcisu Rodriguez for her, both the EDP and the EDT..and like them a lot..ı took my husband and we went to a store for a try out of "for him"..what a bad choice..!! at the very first second you think sth good will come out..but then the pain starts...I agree with everso..it is like a dog!! it fulfilled us till our neurons and we only could smell just him for some hours! Try to wash it off;no success, it stayed...I congratulate Francis Kurkdjian for FOR HER but absolutely not for FOR HIM :(

drummerboy20's avatar

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

Not ver common to be sporty and classy at the same time, but hey this is, and I love it