Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

gvillecreative's avatar

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

Big thumbs up. This is a grown-up version of YSL's In Love Again. Tart, sophisticated and floral.

gvillecreative's avatar

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

I like the idea of this perfume, but it smelled incredibly sharp on my skin in the first few hours. I tested it this weekend at Sephora and sprayed on my skin without trying on paper first. As I left the store, I felt painfully self conscious of my wake-- this perfume just smelled too synthetic on me. I smelled sharp/tart berries, acetone and sweetness. But mostly tart berries.

A few hours into the drydown, it improved-- but not enough to want it. The sillage is good though.

Jack's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells like "poo." I'm sorry, but thats about it.

hammersj's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

Mixed feelings but overall I like it. It's like Versace Eau Fraiche with less lemon and some note that's peppery/metallic. It's a bit strong and I wish I knew what the ladies thought of it. It lasted at least half a workday for me, and even throughout the whole day I would smell it off and on, strongly.

PELCO69's avatar

Halston 1-12 by Halston

i love this stuff....i found a big bottle of it at marshall's.....good stuff.........

PELCO69's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

I LOVE THIS STUFF....picked it up today at marshall's...good stuff

's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I just find it very distasteful.

's avatar

Patchouly Noir by Il Profumo

The best patchouli I have ever worn and I do know and love good patchouli.

chamelion's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

annoying woodsy scent with tobacco, dry and irritating notes that completely make it unappealing I am yet to find someone who works at a departmetn store who will even reccomend this......

Celsius32's avatar

Israel Israel

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Are you kidding me?
    I can't justify buying this, unless you're ok with a 30 minute longevity (not an exaggeration).
    This is a wonderful black tea scent, but all other aspects are too poor.

EDIT: OK, I gave it another shot. This time the longevity was better, almost decent. But, this is still a very weak yet amazing scent. What I'm trying to say is: I want an intense version of this.

08th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th December, 2009)

wholovesyou?theuniverse!'s avatar

Germany Germany

Around Midnight by Mark Buxton

This is such a memory raiser! Midnight? -totally. But forget the Jazz Club! This is the Alpine Christmas scent par excellence, a bottled nativity play in a pink and gold baroque church - this is the kind of incense crystals my sons use when they work in mass .... us up in the choir leaning into the old wooden benches and the incense wafting up. Utterly lovable! And most saintly.

1920 Extreme by Bois 1920

Bergamot, Fern, Jasmine, Brazilian Tonka beans, Bourbon vanilla.

Am I smelling the right fragrance? Because the notes listed above are not what I smell at all. First off, I don't like the opening much. It is intensely bitter and tenacious. I honestly can't identify the notes, but I know it isn't fern and bergamot. There are some intense, dry herbs and a strong helping of bitter, aromatic woods.

Luckily, it doesn't take long for the scent to calm down. There are still herbs and woods present, but they are much friendlier version of their former selves. At this point I can start to detect some pepper, some masculine florals (geranium? carnation?) and some piney notes, plus some tonka starting to inch its way in.

From there, the everything basically stays in place, but becomes more mellow, aided by the the growth tonka/vanilla notes. Take note: this is NOT a vanilla fragrance. The vanilla acts solely as a smoothing agent, gently massaging the restless woods and dry herbs. It is very good.

Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920

I love the citrus and nearly edible spices - the cinnamon is particularly nice - in the opening. It is a very attractive accord that has me excited to experience the rest of the evolution. Unfortunately, this scent does not open and up and deepen, as most orientals do. The edible baking spices and citrus fade out completely and I get a rather boring, synthetic smelling anise and light tonka combo in the base. This is reasonably attractive, but there's no depth here. I'll pass, at this price.

09th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 19th November, 2009)

Real Patchouly by Bois 1920

This is spectacular stuff. Somerville Metro Man's review describes my experience with it perfectly. The opening is strong, sweet patchouli, tempered with a bit of citrus and what I'd call a slightly nutty note. As the patchouli note itself becomes a bit more woody in nature, a vanilla note creeps in to provide some sweetened smoothness, keeping the accord from becoming too abrasive. The final version of the patchouli is my favorite: the note becomes a little more bitter and aromatic - a soft, dry patchouli backed by a subtle dose of powdery amber. The entire evolution is pure heaven; this is the most approachable, wearable patchouli fragrance I've ever tried.

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

I find it thin, astringent, and discordant. Yes, the name and the notes are quite accurate. It starts with a very strong jasmine/floral note, backed by a hint of tea and a lot of sugariness. Some sandalwood eventually emerges, I think, but this is a waxy, wimpy sandalwood that does little to balance the overwhelming sweetness and the synthetic-smelling florals that dominate. This is the only Bois 1920 that I dislike.

Edit: Actually, the sandalwood deep in the base is pretty good...smooth and round. It just takes so long to get there, and I just don't like that harsh jasmine and tea accord in the heart. Ah well, maybe it's my skin.

09th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 03rd November, 2009)

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

No one should doubt about the project’s intentions. We don’t talk about an improvement of the classic but of a modern approach on to the same theme, I suspect with only one and only reason. To attract a new and younger group of fans that love the classic Polo , but cannot imagine themselves smell like their father. And it’s definitely a success regarding the creation of an interesting scent, althought I am not sure it is different enough to call it “NEW”. A new fresher opening with green herbal notes and the pine still present but more polite. The heart incorporates wood, light floral and leather notes always on a patchouli background and altogether drydown into a beautiful light base. Less formal but still classy. A worthy successor of an American classic.

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My meeting with Sarassins was a moment of perfection, where everything feels as it should. The presence of the ceremonial bell jar, the mystical liquid coloration. The anticipation of a blind buy. And finally, the scent! Transparent jasmine. Not the scent of a flower when you move close to smell it. The smell of the night air as you pass outside a hidden garden of jasmine bushes in full bloom. There is no trace of the animalic side of the flower’s scent. The entire range of the perfume is transferred to an ethereal level over and above the actual flower. Difficult to isolate another note that obscures the brightness of the flower, at least to any appreciable extent. The feeling you have as you open the bottle is that it captures the night air from a secret garden. That perhaps explains the contradicting dark color that the creators decided to give this ethereal perfume (and here "ethereal" does not mean 'weak'). It is the color of the night sky, what you see when you pass outside this garden of jasmine and in order to enjoy the fleeting scent you inhale deeply tilting the head back.

odysseusm's avatar

Kiehl's Pour Homme Essence Oil by Kiehl's

Fir needle, cistus, vetiver, patchouli
    I think this is a very nice scent, very “brown” in tone. The fir needles are well done and have good duration. The vetiver-patchouli notes give an earthy tinge, and the patchouli increases and becomes leathery (but not obnoxious). The labdanum gives a slight buttery note. This reminds me of Equipage. There is a great shower/bath liquid in this scent as well.

Dea de Brito's avatar

Brazil Brazil

White Iris #11 by Trish McEvoy

FANTASTIC!!! I do love it! Fresh and long lasting!

Hunter by Atkinsons

Good. Piney. It grows on you! Fantastic patchouli and mossy drydown and it's a touch on the sweet side. Very spicy middle but it's a little fleeting there. Gives you a good aura of green.

Vetyver by L'Occitane

I've been to several L'Occitane stores and have talked with the fine ladies (and men) that work there. I was on a vetiver kick once and took notice of Vetyver. I asked the employees what they thought and they wish they didn't sell it. I kinda see their point but people seem to like it.

What I do not like about this is it's strange medicinal headiness of vetiver. Down towards the bottom it's old man in a wig powdery and earthy accords. For me, it is definintely not my style. I can not see myself wearing this daily. Same with Encre Noire but that's something I enjoy smelling.

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium watered down to put it mildly. I'm sure it was well intended for YSL to market this for the Asian market or to bank on the idea of the Oriental in Europe's minds. The king spicy Opium is kicked down a few hundred notches and cleaned up a bit. Ambery sandalwood and ginger. Pleasant scent but the sandalwood isn't all that great and feels a little dull. Like the sharp top notes of anise and grapefruit, though.

Maharanih by Nicolaï

A dull sandalwood spice that gives me a block of fragrance that I have to plod through in order to get anything I like out of it. Too bitter and stuffy for my tastes.

Avant Garde by Martine Micallef

I like this however there's something in it (possibly the musk) that puts off people around me (i.e. they sneeze a lot). I do not like that in a fragrance. Avantre Garde is a fresh musky scent that feels casual. The freshness is too much, though and feel unbalanced with the musk leaving an odd peppery note that lingers around. It also feels very robust and thick. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a bottle.

Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld

I was wondering what the bittensweet fruity note was when I sprayed this on. Plum? Interesting. Good woody scent but it ain't no Gucci pour Homme. Still, there's a lot of cedar and mineralic/earthy qualities in it like Terre d'Hermes. Decent longevity. I like it.

Vetyver by Nicolaï

Nicolai's perfumes tend to make me yawn. Meh, it's okay or something. But inevitably I need a fragrance to make me feel better about myself.

Vetyver has the same, dull "block" in other Nicolai fragrance I've tried. It's THERE and doesn't want to go away and let me smell the rest of the fragrance. The vetiver in this concotion smells good, earthy and poignant but with a lot of that blockage. Terrible longevity for a semi-decent scent.

Maestrale by Profumi di Pantelleria

So much cedar it burns. Very dry and bitter and very linear. I love cedar but this is too much of a good thing. A little vetiver in the bottom moistens it up a bit but makes the rest smell very dank. No sir I don't like this.

MGM Grand by Vapro International

From what I know, this is one of the fragrances they pump through this Vegas hotel. It's a light, minty oakmossy scent with a dabbling of patchouli. It's very refreshing, really but to wear it is not something I'd do. Fantastic scent to spray around your room to liven things up a bit. Think of it as an aquatic oakmossy 80's powerhouse with the windows open.

Karenin's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

What an outstanding scent! My original intention was to buy the original version. When I discovered this version in the parcel, I first thought of returning it. But then I said to myself, well, what the heck, I´ll give it a try- it´s a Saint Laurent frag after all! I´ve got to admit I don´t regret my decision at all. I love the initial burst of lemon, which is by far the juiciest lemon note I´ve ever smelled in a fragrance. It literally awakens my senses. The woody notes uncover a deeper, darker aspect of this fragrance. In my lay opinion all the notes are perfectly blended. I don´t find YSL PH HC overpowering or headache-inducing. Like with other powerhouse frags, the secret of enjoying this treasure to the max lies in sensible application- less is normally just the right amount.

Redbeard's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

This stuff is weird. It opens with a soapy rose which seems almost candied, but like Middle Eastern or East Asian candies that taste unmistakeably "different" from western candy. (I can understand why people say it's a masculine rose, though.) Then within a few minutes comes a deep, sharp woodiness, which feels heavy, dirty and chemical when combined with the remaining rose. It starts to become a big mess where I'm not sure I can pick out anything in particular. There's something in there similar to the old-rubber-band accord that I get from my newer Heritage decant. It just feels tacky for some reason...I think the piercing rose stays just intense enough to annoy me with its sharp pointiness. By the end, a little arid wood (cedar?) comes into the picture to cut some of the sweetness, and you're finally left with a vague incenceyness. I guess I just don't understand what the perfumer was going for, though I won't deny the quality of the ingredients. To me, it's mostly just a vase of wilting flowers. Could be interesting on a woman, though.