Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

cowboykenny27's avatar

Mister by Jasper Conran

Im actually wearing this right now and I love it ! I agree its a very distinguished scent I love the boozy scent from this and the drydown is fantastic - great longevity as well and this is definately one of my favourites

cowboykenny27's avatar

Nightlife for Him by Ministry of Sound

I love the clean scent from this fragrance - I wouldnt choose to wear this at night as i find the scent dies down after an hour or so , I use it for daywear . The bottle shape of the black ball is rather nifty too!

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

CK Free by Calvin Klein

This fragrance needs a lot of patience and time to fully understand it. After you do, the 'boring' and 'unoriginal' parts will completely dissapear. The drydown has similarities with Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss.

09th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th February, 2010)

GODDESS74's avatar

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

I LOVE THIS ONE TOO, ANOTHER ONE OF MY FAV'S!

GODDESS74's avatar

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

I FIND IT QUITE INTERESTING ON EVERYONE'S RESPONCE ON THIS ONE.
    I SIMPILY LOVE IT ANGUE OU DEMON-ALIL GOES A LONG WAY!!!
    I CAN SAY IT HAS A SWEET POWERERDY ESSENCE TO IT,AND SOMETHING ELSE I CANT THINK OF. I BOUGHT MY FIRST BOTTLE AT AIRPORT COSMETIC COUNTER YOU ALL KNOW WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT GOTTA BUY SOMETHING BEFORE DEPARTING LOL.....EVER SINCE THEN I WANTED TO BUY ANOTHER BOTTLE AT MY LOCAL MAJOR DEPT STORE - NOT ONE HAD THE BRAND LET ALONE THE PERFUME I WAS LOOKING FOR.

ANYHOW I LOVE THIS ONE FROM GIVENCHY,.

ANOTHER GREAT ONE TO ADD TO MY COLLECTION
    EX CHANEL

1tialoca1's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

i have used chanel no. 19 for more than 30 years...i try many others, but always come back...the rest just don't quite measure up for me or i grow weary of them...

tuittumurmeli's avatar

Finland Finland

Lady Knize by Knize

I agree with nase that it is very ladylike! I gave my SO to try it without telling him what it was and he described a well-kempt woman, who hasn't a single hair out of place - perhaps someone like Carolina Herrera is or was. It does have those vintage-like charasteristics other older perfumes have, but its not as overwhelming as many of them. Together we agreed that although Lady Knize is definitely not really something for girls or young women of the 2000s, it is not for grannies either (although I wouldn't want to insinuate Mrs. Herrera was a "granny".. We thought the age bracket would be somewhere between 25-40 years). Its ok for a grown-up, self-assured yet a very feminine lady, who doesn't want to attract too much attention.

/ I must add that this perfume is readily available through some internet retailers. Thus I do believe it is still in production, although the directory above states otherwise. 07/2012

09th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd July, 2012)

neal's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Just right for a sweaty nightclub. That said; that is the only setting I could ever see wearing this.

odysseusm's avatar

Incense by Ava Luxe

Notes: bergamot, Roman chamomile, elemi, frankincense, copal, myrrh, labdanum, katafray, Tamil Nadu sandalwood, cedar, Tibetan musk, Peruvian balsam.
    I think the name “Incense” is not quite accurate. I’d call this “old money”. This scent gives me the impression of a well-heeled gentlemen’s club; with leather chairs, paneled walls, brandy and cedars. If there is any incense burning it is in the distant background.
    The scent begins with a fleeting vanilla note… this will return as the ambery dry-down much later. Then appears a very dark, earthy and smoky note. It is powerful, rich, not too sweet at this point. As a counterpoint to that, I detect hints of dry resinous notes which are the incense. The sandalwood becomes pungent and aromatic. Finally, the dry-down after several hours is less appealing to me, by now it is a fairly sweet and buttery amber.
    So I find some things to appreciate here, but I wish for more incense, particularly of the dry variety.

goldiloks's avatar

Casmir by Chopard

Goodness me, this takes me back to Vanilla Fields at school! I like it for that reason, it is purely nostalgic.
    However, not one I would go for these days. To my nose it has a weird synthetic plastic note on top of the vanilla which I just cannot take to.

HDS1963's avatar

Jako by Lagerfeld

Grapefruit, Mandarin, Calabrian Bergamot, Indian Davana Essence, Mysterious Plum.

Middle Notes
    Cardamom, Indian Ginger Root, Brazilian Rosewood..

Base Notes
    Indian Sandalwood, Arabic Incense, Musky-Leather Accord..

Jako doesn't scream, it clears it's throat and then speaks calmly. This is a world away from the hairy-chested bicep flexing of Lagerfeld Classic. As others have noted, it does open brightly with a fresh bright and fruity air. As the opening makes way for the mid-notes cardamom and ginger make their presence felt, which, if you are someone like me that happens to like these two accords, is very welcome. These notes never truly fade as the leather and sandalwood notes in the base remain.

At the end it does wear close to the skin, a sillage monster it is not, but it has a lovely kind of comforting musk to it at the end with a vaguely spicy feel to it.

All in all Jako, is easy to overlook, which is a shame, because it is a very very pleasant fragrance indeed, one which I enjoy wearing on a regular basis.

SirSlarty's avatar

Lucifer No. 2 by Damien Bash

Very disappointing bright citrus and floral fragrance. Nice opening and just simply dies on your skin. ABsolutely no drydown whatsoever. Not evening a lingering musk or any basenotes.

Bigsly's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

If suggested retail price was considered, I'd give this a negative rating. Basically, as others have said, there is nothing of interest in this generic composition to the fragrance aficionado (though there is nothing "wrong" with it). In fact, when I sampled it, my thought was that I'd rather be wearing another, somewhat similar fragrance because there is something about that other fragrance that interests me. One example is Everlast Original 1919, which I like because it has a slightly sharp grapefruit up top and a strong leather/tonka presence in the base. Or there's Avon's Unscripted, etc. So, you can get a much more interesting fragrance for a lot less money, and those other fragrances are technically competent and not "synthetic," which leaves AH with no place in my large rotation.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Tea for Two

While I know many people love their coffee, my preferred way to caffeinate myself is through tea. There has been a similar expansion of choices in both coffee and tea over the last few years and I have really enjoyed trying many teas I had only heard of before. One of those teas is lapsang souchong which is a black tea which is dried over a wood fire which imparts a smoky flavor and aroma to it. I had only recently fell in love with lapsang souching the tea when I came across the 2000 release for L'artisan, Tea for Two. Tea for Two was created by Olivia Giacobetti and it is lapsang souchong in a bottle and it is wonderful, to me. I can definitely understand not wanting to smell like a cup of tea but the choice to emulate a smoky black tea gives Tea for Two more character than one might expect from a fragrance named Tea for Two. Right from the top the smoky aspect is apparent and that's the first note I get upon application, this is followed by the note of really rich black tea and here is where Tea for Two smells just like my tin of lapsang souchong right after I open it. Moving forward, Mme. Giacobetti adds in some of the accoutrements of a tea service as the next two notes are the twin spices of cinnamon and ginger. both of these add a spiciness to things but are done with Mme. Giacobetti's trademark etherealness so that while they add heft and contrast they never seem to take over this scent, instead they hover at arm's length. The base is a mix of honey and vanilla with the honey being the more prominent of the two notes. The choice of the sweetness of honey to add balance to the smoky tea is my favorite part of Tea for Two and it is here where Tea for Two spends most of its time on my skin. Tea for Two has above average longevity and sillage, on me. I'm not sure everyone will want to smell like a cup of lapsang souchong lightly sweetened with honey but if this sounds like your...um... cup of tea; drink up and breathe in you're in for a treat.

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

For those of us who were around in the late 70's and early 80's Ricardo Montalban used to be the spokeperson for a car called a Chrysler Cordoba. In the commercials for the Cordoba one of the selling points, delivered in Mr. Montalban's beautiful latin voice, was "soft Corinthian leather". It was always a running joke in my head every time I came across anything in leather to ask, "Is it soft Corinthian leather?". When it comes to fragrances there are a number of excellent leathers out there which cover a number of differing strengths of leather but only the 2007 Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather captures what I think of when I'm thinking "soft Corinthian leather". One of the hallmarks of the Tom Ford Private Blends is their ability to focus on a singular note and Tuscan Leather does that magnificently. The top is a fleeting mix of saffron and thyme, there is supposed to be a raspberry note here but I have never experienced it. What I do experience is the lightly spicy safrron and the smoky sage and that is a very nice combination. The heart is where the leather comes alive and this is the smell of leather seats in a new car or a new leather sofa and it is quite wonderful, to me. Over time the leather becomes deeper; almost more broken-in and it picks up some warmth and some woodiness as Tuscan Leather's base comes into play. In many ways Tuscan Leather is a linear leather scent but the ability of the leather to change and soften in character from heart to base makes this a line worth traveling. Tuscan Leather has extreme longevity and above average sillage, on me. As he has done in so many of the Private Blends Tom Ford has crafted another winner, this time focused around leather, perhaps he should have called it Corinthian Leather.

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat Libre D'Orange Tom of Finland

I have come to appreciate and look forward to wearing all of the scents I have tried from Etat Libre D'Orange. One of the things I like most is their ability to push at traditional perfume composition in interesting ways. Not all of them are resounding successes but I find all of them awaken possibilities to me. Tom of Finland was released in 2008 and was composed by Antoine Lie. In the little booklet that accompanies the bottle it says that M. Lie was attempting to make a scent that "does not disturb the odor of men". Which is an interesting concept but I think I wear cologne so that it does disturb my odor. The top of Tom of Finland is a fresh combination of a slight buzz of aldehydes along with lemon and cypress. I really like the light use of the aldehydes here as it gives the top a little bit of pizazz. The heart of this is all suede leather and it is a nice light wearing leather and Tom of Finland stays fixed as a suede-like leather on me for a long while. That fixation is nice but after too long it gets a tad repetitious and I want the scent to move along a bit, which it eventually does. The base is the weakest part of Tom of Finland as it is a weak mix of vanilla and iris. Tom of Finland has average longevity and below average sillage. It's odd that for the first time I am wearing an Etat Libre D'Orange fragrance and the overwhelming urge I have is to ask for more to be added to it. Unfortunately I think they got it right in their description Tom of Finland does not sufficiently "disturb" for my tastes.

Unidentified Fragrance Object / Untitled by Kenzo

Kenzo Unidendified Fragrance Object (UFO)

I am a fan of Kenzo as a House, overall. I am especially a fan when they give perfumers some leeway to be creative as they did Dominique Ropion in Jungle L'Elephant. I was very excited to hear that they had asked Aurelien Guichard to create a 2009 limited edition Unidentified Fragrance Object ( Parfum Objet Non Identifie ). M. Guichard stated he was designing this scent around a heart which contained a "marble accord". Marble as in the material used by sculptors and this had me really looking forward to a mineral-laden scent and M. Guichard does not disappoint. The top of UFO is reminiscent of M. Guichard's Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory as UFO also starts with a metallic note. In this case it feels like the metal of the chisel before it starts to bite into the marble. There is a note of orange blossom to keep the metallic accord from getting too strong. The heart is the promised "marble accord" and it has a cool stone quality to it but it also has a curious kind of wamth as well as it turns deeper and more minerally in character. It is like the sun is warming the stone as it is being worked upon. all throughout the development of this stony aspect a sheer frankincense is in place as it seems this artist works with a cone of incense burning in their studio. UFO really stays in place as a mix of incense and marble for a very long time finally allowing a base of vanilla to join them in the end. UFO has above average longevity and is very close wearing with little sillage. Aurelien Guichard is becoming one of those perfumers who is working in extremely interesting directions, for me, and if he keeps working with the same kind of artistry he shows in UFO he won't be "unidentified" for too much longer.

Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1 by LesNez

Les Nez Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1

The Turtle Project is a 21st century updating of the old-fashioned salon process, i.e. get a bunch of different creative people linked together and see what they come up with. The founder, filmmaker Michael H. Shamberg, has invited perfumer Isabelle Doyen to be part of this and her first contribution is Les Nez Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1. The idea of a talented perfumer creating small-batch "exercises" and releasing them so that we get to see an on-going creative process is fascinating to me. Add in the fact that Exercise No. 1 is pretty good and I'm really excited. Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 is indeed an exercise in vetiver and a strong opening statement on that note. The top starts with the grassy version of vetiver I like quite a bit and it is paired with a citrus accord of mostly grapefruit. This gives Exercise No. 1 a very light beginning. The heart of this begins to tread vetiver territory that feels more familiar as the wetiver becomes a little smokier and a little less green and more rich. The base is a mix of vetiver and wood, mostly cedar to my nose, which sharpens the lines around the vetiver and makes it stand out on its own a little more. Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 has a feel of falling somewhere between Encre Noire and Vetiver Extraordinaire on my vetiver scale. While never achieving the darkness of Encre Noire or the intense smokiness of Vetiver Extraordinaire there are lighter aspects of both of those qualities evident in Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1. Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 has above average longevity and moderate sillage. Exercise No. 1 has been so interesting I am eagerly anticipating Mme. Doyen's Exercise No. 2.

Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris

Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois

One of our family friends growing up in S. Florida grew what she called a traditional English garden and it took her an amazing amount of work to keep this bit of England thriving in the tropical climate. One of my favorite natural scents was walking through this garden just after the late afternoon thundershowers that roll through Miami like clockwork. The combination of flowers and damp and wet were what I came to associate in an olfactory way with a garden. When I read that the inspiration for Lyn Harris' 2009 release for Miller Harris, Fleurs de Bois was her walks through Regent's Park in London after a rain I dared to hope that maybe this smell of my childhood could be captured in a bottle. Happily Ms. Harris has succeeded beyond my most optimistic hopes. While I'm not sure how many proper English gardens have citrus trees around them; the one I grew up with did and the top of Fleurs de Bois is a mix of citrus, mostly lemon, and fresh grass. The grass smell is that wonderful lush grassy smell after a hard rain which has earthy undertones but is unmistakably green. This is a beautiful start but we finally get down to the flowers in the garden in the heart; as iris, rose, and jasmine combine in equal measure. I can pick out each note individually but it is when I stop analyzing and let the bouquet just wash over me that Fleurs de Bois is at its best for me. These floral notes smell like flowers still clinging to the stems and dripping with water as the heart contains a humidity and density that is appropriate. The base contains the wood promised in the name as sandalwood supported by patchouli and vetiver finish this off. Fleurs de Bois has average longevity and slightly below average sillage on me. It is always such a pleasure when a perfumer can re-awaken a scent memory and Ms. Harris has certainly done that with Fleurs de Bois, for me. For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to breathe in a proper English garden after a rain give this a try it might inspire your spring planting.

City Rain by Neil Morris Fragrances

Neil Morris City Rain

No secret to anyone paying attention that I am a Neil Morris fan. I find all of his scents to be interesting and the 2009 release City Rain is no different in that regard. Mr. Morris likes to recreate an olfactory place with each of his scents and in City Rain his inspiration is the smell of the urban milieu after a hard rain. While City Rain gets that mostly right the only way this happens in my city is if I'm standing near a garden when this rain storm happens because there is a strong floral aspect in the heart of City Rain. The top of City Rain is a mix of green tea and ozonic notes, this gives the feeling of the smell you get just prior to the thunderstorm. The almost but not quite metallic tinge to the air. In the heart of City Rain the storm has passed on by and here is where the floral character of heliotrope and honeysuckle stand out. There is a wet quality to these floral notes which is appropriate. It is in the base where you get the real feel of the aftermath of an urban rain. Here is where I get that wet pavement smell which is both mineral-like and clean at the same time. The mix of the floral heart and the concrete accord persist for a long time before having a little musk warm things up as the sun comes out in this metaphorical rain storm. City Rain like all of Mr. Morris' scents has outstanding longevity and sillage. In most of Mr. Morris' fragrances I recognize the place he's taking me to and in City Rain I recognize many of the scents of the city after a late afternoon rain.

Daphne by Daphne Guinness

Comme des Garcons x Daphne Guinness Daphne

When I heard Daphne Guinness was working on a scent with Comme des Garcons I have to admit my first impulse was to think of her last name and the beer that it symbolizes and wonder what a beer perfume would smell like. Thankfully, Daphne Guinness is not about the beer and more about style and this 2009 co-production with Comme des Garcons and composed by Antoine Lie. Daphne is definitely all about incense and flowers and that's a good thing. The top of Daphne starts with a nice bitter orange which takes the orange and makes it slightly edgy. This works extremely well as the next note is a deep incense that combines the resinous quality of incense with the tartness of the bitter orange, and the slightly sweet nature of incense mixes with the slightly sweet nature of orange. The heart of Daphne is all floral as tuberose along with jasmine and rose come to the fore. This is mostly tuberose and early in the heart the tuberose and incense are really well balanced. For me the jasmine and the rose push too hard on the floral button and overwhelm the incense which is too bad because I really like the short period where Daphne is mostly incense and tuberose. The base is patchouli and amber and here the tuberose and incense regain some prominence and in combination with the basenotes leave Daphne feeling like a warm incense scent at the end. Daphne has excellent longevity and above average sillage. Overall I like Daphne but I think I would've loved Daphne if there were one or two less flowers in the bouquet.

Black Angel by Mark Buxton

Mark Buxton Black Angel

Mark Buxton has been hailed by Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez in Perfumes: The Guide as one of the currently working perfumers they believe to be amongst the most creative noses out there. With that kind of praise it certainly makes every colognoisseur take notice when he produces a new fragrance. It really makes me take notice when he decides to create his own line. In 2009 Mark Buxton created a series of seven fragrances, of which Black Angel is a member, under his own name. I am not a full-fledged member of the Mark Buxton fan club because while I find all of the scents he's made interesting many of them just don't seem to soar in the way that I expect them to. Some of this is due to expectations and some of this is likely due to the simpler reason that our aesthetics are slightly off. In looking through the pyramids for the new series the one that stood out for me was Black Angel and I thought this was a good place to get started in trying these scents out. In this case the pyramid did not lie and Black Angel is quite good. The top is a mix of citrus and bergamot, now stop me if you've heard that as a description of a top notes before. Here Mr. Buxton keeps the citrus soft and instead of the sharper aspects that citrus brings this accord brings to mind more of the pulp. This is also achieved without getting too sweet. This aspect of softness is the perfect lead-in, as this theme continues, as a grouping of soft spices appear starting with cardamom and ginger followed by rosemary and coriander. This early phase of Black Angel is my favorite part of this fragrance as it feels like pulling on a cashmere sweater that just hugs me and comforts me. The heart finishes with a nice orris which is joined by jasmine to add a little sweetness to things. The base is guaiac and patchouli and they stay true to the tone set earlier as both are kept reined in and very lightly used. Black Angel is a beautifully composed scent, which is what Mr. Buxton is known for. In the past, I've found previous Mark Buxton creations to be lacking in some area, for me. Black Angel feels like a complete fragranced idea made reality. Black Angel has great longevity and moderate sillage. I'm going to have to try the other six scents in the Mark Buxton fragrance line but they are going to have to be pretty darn good to be better than Black Angel.

Sybarite's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

I'm not much of a fan of colognes in general. They're ok really, but their usual longevity issues, amongst other traits, means I tend to ignore them mostly.
    However, I was very pleasantly surprised with Vettiveru, and found that it's longevity is actually pretty good for a cologne, lasting much longer than I expected.
    It opens with pretty much a typically "cologn-y" accord and "vibe", (which of course, is only to be expected !) But one that is, of course, laced with much vetiver. But it's a clean "light-weight" vetiver, that is devoid of any "earthiness" or "dirt", "rootiness" or anything "harsh" about it. Just a plain, soft and charming grassy vetiver. Which then intensifies somewhat, blended with some cedar and light florals, whilst that "cologn-y" vibe from the start unexpectedly recedes and fades away almost completely. As the scent progresses it unfortunately starts to loose most of the vetiver too, and starts to develop instead stronger neroli (orange-flower) and more clean "soapy" notes. (very reminiscent of Prada's type of "soapy notes").
    So, all in all, it's a very nice refreshing frag', that will have you smelling "just-stepped-out-of-the-shower" clean, hours after application.
    It's also, I would say, the perfect "entry-level" type of vetiver, or the vetiver for those of you not too fond of the "deeper", "richer" and "smokier" varieties. So, whilst far from being my ideal type of vetiver. It's still a very pleasant scent, and a nice vetiver for the summer months ! ... Though I do wish the vetiver was not quite so fleeting. (Still, the scent itself lasts pretty much most of the day, on me, so I have no longevity issues with it !)

Sybarite's avatar

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

Contrary to one of the above reviewers, I did not find a strong geranium note in this scent at all ! (??) ... Geranium is a note that's usually very easily discernible, for it does tend to easily overpower and overshadow other notes (even when in small amounts). It aint exactly a shy note, distinctive as it is !
    But here, I actually could not discern it much, it's used very judiciously, and is well integrated in the blend. (So I would not avoid this scent if you're weary of the geranium note alone). ...
    By far the most prominent notes are the saffron, pepper and curcuma spice. All blended with a lovely sweetness at first, which recedes as the scent progresses.
    I really liked "8 88", and it is quite "warm and bright" ... but, try as I might, I'm afraid I did not really find it reminiscent of the scent of gold particularly. Probably because, to me, gold would smell far louder, more brash and much gaudier overall ! :o) (But that's just me, and quite irrelevant to it's enjoyment, of course) Though it does at least pick up an appropriate somewhat metallic tone/note, as it develops, which helps the "gold" illusion.
    Of course it makes perfect sense that the "golden" saffron (well burnt orange more like!) was chosen as the note perfect to depict "gold". Seeing it's one of the most precious oils, being even more expensive than it's weight in gold . (Had they used the genuine deal, that is, and not just the much cheaper "brass" imitation "safraline"). So the "associations" are good, if somewhat predictable.
    Though I still find it a successful composition, and pretty sophisticated a scent !

Chance by Chanel

This starts out "31 Rue Cambon" (promising) and ends up "Allure" (disgusting). This fragrance has amazing sillage and longevity. It took an entire day of scrubbing to rid myself of this cheap smelling fruity, floral mess.

Chaos by Donna Karan

I just pulled out my untried samples and Chaos is among them. This is a very exotic woods (padukwood & agarwood) and exotic spice (saffron, coriander, chamomile, cardamon) scent that leaves me a little cold. I don't smell the amber and I smell just a bit of the clove. I can understand why this has reached cult status because it is unusual and complex. For me, it is not beautiful, elegant, compelling or fun...things that make me want to buy a particular perfume. I understand that it, along with some other discontinued Donna Karan fragrances, will be (maybe already is) reissued.

Premier Jour by Nina Ricci

I thought Allure was bad until I tried this ugly fruity floral. I cannnot give a further assessment, because I ran to the faucet to scrub off this wretched stuff.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Maybe my nose is out of whack. I don't get a big oriental experience here. The thing that this fragrance has going for it is the way it puts on the brakes. It starts out a pretty citrus vanilla and ends up a soft amber. Very understated, very unisex. Not too elegant, not too beautiful. This is a transparent fragrance for people who don't like orientals but want to wear one anyway. PS I am trying to like this one, but I cannot get through the camphor. This reminds me of being sick!

10th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th October, 2009)

Osmanthus by The Different Company

This is a very appealing peachy, milky osmanthus without the slightest trace of sugar. It is exactly what I thought Osmanthe Yunnan would be. (Jean Claude Ellena created both.) Here's the problem...it doesn't last and I can barely smell it even when first applied. It lasts even less time than Osmanthe Yunnan. So although this scent has a modest appeal, it is almost pointless. Maybe it would last a little longer on clothing.

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is IT, folks... true vanilla. Un Bois Vanille is deceptively simple smelling. It verges on smelling too much like baked goods, but it is saved by "that Lutens transparency" on the drydown. This is comfort food at its best...nutty, sweet and warm. I have been looking for a wonderful, straight up vanilla and this is IT. Unlike "The Guide", I find this to be very wearable and definately unisex. I love it and plan to save my pennies so that it can become part of my permanent rotation.