Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

After several tries, I finally get it. This is a bright citrus, barely there, osmanthus tea with a milky drydown. It really is pretty in a "skinny runway model" sort of way. I detect no florals & no smoke, however, and I can just barely make out the notes after an hour. I give this 4 stars for originality and 2 stars for longevity, so I guess that I give this one a thumbs up but only 3 stars.

Into the Blue by Escada

After an initial blast of watery notes, HUGE nondescript fruit notes overpower this juice. Thank goodness, the drydown returns to a more marine fragrance with a metal edge. Not bad. Could be unisex. But Cool Water remains the epitome of this sort.

Maharadjah by Nicolaï

This one breaks my heart. I love this from start to finish. I prefer it to Maharanih. It reminds me of a refined Jicky (because it is missing those bright citrus top notes). It also reminds me of Jicky because it's longevity on me is almost nonexistant. I love lavender and patchouli...I grow both. Can anyone tell me why lavender scents are so fleeting?

Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire

This is a boozy, fruited osmanthus with a rich musky drydown. Although there are rose & jasmine notes, osmanthus is the star. I really don't care for osmanthus, so I appreciate the supporting cast. All of the bells & whistles help with the longevity, too.

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love the top note of gingerbread. This is a gingerbread that is strong but not in a bakery sort of way. Unfortunately, the following notes go downhill and the wearer is left with a nondescript, slightly woody perfume.

Mediterranean Lily by Renée

I have a serious case of "Lily Love", so I tried this. There is no mediterranean here as there is with Malle's creation, but there is a lovely, linear lily soliflore. I love the idea of niche, but I must admit that this lily just isn't as good as Anais Anais. It lacks the complexity (yes, complexity...try it in summer) and the beautiful suede drydown. Anais Anais still is my favorite lily.

Gucci Flora by Gucci

This is a transparent floral that boasts citrus (I get that), peony (where?), rose (what?), osmanthus (I get that), patchouli (surely you are kidding!) and sandalwood (mmm maybe). So this is a kinda citrus osmanthus that drys down to...not much. And it is sweet, really sweet. In some ways, this reminds me of the spineless friend of Chaos by Donna Karan. It's not bad, really, but it's not that good, either. (I should disclose that I am not an osmanthus fan. And if you are, try Osmanthus Interdite by Parfums d'Empire. It does the same thing, only better.)

Arber by Body Shop

A decent version of the fruity amber fragrances that proliferate the market at the present time. It's a one note wonder, but it holds its quality for long enough to maintain your interest for several hours. This is very much in keeping with its simplistic packaging and mininimalistic bottle design. There is scant competition, but this is one of the better Body Shop offerings, and it may be particularly well suited to layering with the variety of other Arber products.

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

The ingredients maybe ethically sourced, but when they are assembled in this manner, you are left with a disappointing production. The musk element is too indistinct, and its vague woody presence is too dull to hold your interest. Even with its modest price tag, it is still much too flawed to be considered a contender for full bottle purchase

Black Diamond by Canali

A moderately pleasing offering from Canali, that does provide a good woods’n’vetiver dry down. Despite the surfeit of ingredients, it’s a fairly simple production that never really evolves beyond its wood based objective. There are a number of fragrances that follow the same template as Black Diamond, but this appears to have been formulated using above average ingredients. However, despite its decent longevity and polished finish, it never really wowed me sufficiently to entice me back again anytime soon

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Gourmand for a tea scent. Smoky sweet Lapsang Souchong tea with a dense slab of moist gingerbread leaning against the cup, inhaling the vapors of it all. It smells entirely pleasant but it's not something I'd really want to wear. It is a bit straightforward and lacking the complexity that turns good fragrances into wardrobe staples, yet the simplicity is what makes this a cozy and comfortable scent. It requires no dissection or analysis, it simply cradles your sense of smell. Ideal for cooler weather.

Neutral but leaning toward a thumbs up.

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The Serge Lutens website sums Rousse up with one word: Racy. I think that's about as fitting as it gets. It's so unique, especially for a Lutens. Rousse starts with a candied cinnamon spice (think Red Hot candies) and pretty much stays that way for quite sometime before fading to a soft, amber/floral base that is linear/minimalist. It's simply a good smelling, well rounded, unobtrusive yet nowhere near boring, predictable or average smelling perfume. Racy and red.

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

The oud and castoreum blend to create something very unique and, in my opinion, drop dead sexy. Not cute/lovingly sexy, but aggressive and borderline cruel sexy, yet there is a sense of refined sophistication bordering the entire fragrance. It is fantastic for the first few minutes, but then it does a virtual disappearing act. Sillage and longevity are freakishly minimal, but if you're looking for a very sexy (dominatrix style?) skin scent, something only to be smelled up-close and intimately, this could be almost narcotic in that aspect. Thumbs up, despite the virtual absence of any sillage.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

What is this? A mild syrup with a hint of alcohol. Damn, when something is not you, it's just not you, but when something is really, simply and plainly NOT...no need to go any further. It really gives me a funny feeling in my tummy as well.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Bois d'Iris by Different Company

BOIS D' IRIS is a minimalist yet sophisticated take on the iris and bears Ellena's signature 'ethereality'. For me the first whiff was like a lipstick-heavy smacker on the cheeks - it certainly left me pleasantly stunned. While far from smelling unpleasant, the scent's 'peculiar' presentation will never generate AdG-like sales nor find fans among sillage lovers. And as a commercial release it also seem to take considerable risks, push boundaries and explore a realm not many are willing nor able to venture into. Rather avant-garde IMO.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Gèrald Gheslain founded Histoire de Parfums with the idea of interpreting colorful historical characters as scents. To appreciate the scent I find it useful to understand the nature of the character it seeks to represent. For example, Casanova was a charmer not by virtue of his physical sex appeal but rather his way with words; he was the sweet-talking smooth operator - a classic ladies man. Casanova was never about macho posturing or sexual aggression; I was therefore correct not to expect 'heavy-duty masculinity' nor anything 'raunchy' from this release. Instead, like its namesake, 1725 CASANOVA is a smooth teasingly sweet scent that seeks to romance its way into the hearts of many ladies. And I find it closer in spirit to Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille than it is to Givenchy's Pi. A worthy addition to my decant collection.

slimbob714's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

Mandarin and cognac with black pepper over wood. Well balanced, smooth, elegant, sexy. A nice cognac oriental, ideal for a winter evening. Drydown - cognac, musky, spicy, slight patchouli. Some say go easy, some say go for heavier application. A big thumbs up for this versatile, rich, warm and interesting fragrance.

slimbob714's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Opens very floral with dark spices. Lavender/spice > floral/amber/woody >beautiful amber tonka drydown. Powerful open and midnotes. classy. Makes you feel underdressed. elegant. Two sprays max until you get to know it. One of my top ten.

costaleo's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Galbe by O Boticário

Very unique and powerful fragance with great longevity and sillage. Not like any other and a great purchase.

cowboykenny27's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

AWFUL ! made me feel ill and i still gag at the thought of smelling it ! too sweet too sticky gave me a sore stomach - smells like candy floss and cheap chocolate this is probably the most awful male scent i have ever smelt

DEFINATE NO NO

3d24's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This was a blind buy since I respect JPG house but very much disappointed with this fragrance.... I cant even find single element that makes me call GAULTIER2 a masculine scent...

I'm looking forward to swap it with someone interested against any Gucci Pour Homme or chanal's Allure or any considerable fragrance...

drop me an e-mail on dave.3d24@gmail.com if u r interested..... person shud be in toronto (GTA)

10th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 October, 2009)

Jackinbox's avatar

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Similar to Paco Rabanne One Million (I just noticed that I'm not the only one to think that). Not bad but boring. I only had a sample so I couldn't put much on my skin. After a few minutes it was gone.

Pontifex Maximus's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Yatagan by Caron

If you are, like me, pretty tired of all the aquatic/floriental sweet and "nice" fragrances they make these days, and you want something with balls, a real powerhouse, something eccentric, look no further, this is it.

In my quest for eccentric fragrances i have encounterd many a great scent, Antaeus, Quorum, Tsar, Nobile but Yatagan is my personal favorite. Gunpowder, celery, the smell of wet dogs, chickensoup, pineneedles, curry...it's all there. The opening can be pretty strong with lots of pineneedle but the drydown is rather calm and classy. There's no sweetness here and this is by far the driest scent i have ever smelled.

cK one by Calvin Klein

I loved this stuff when it first came out. Havent smelled it in a long time but I remember it somehow. I dont think id wear it over some Armani but if it was give to me id definitely spray it on from time to time.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Ever since I smelled a friend bathing in this in his car I have been obsessed with never smelling it again...

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

The unique bottle design launched this fragrance into the stratosphere with Pierre Cardin’s futuristic look on life. In an era that requires both prestige and value, Pierre Cardin is second to none.

I honestly don't see how this could be possible. Back about 10 yr ago a friend gave me a half bottle and it was putrid. It had to have been an old bottle or something cause its like the lemon, leather (sweaty leather sandals) and benzoin reformulated into something that smelled akin to kerosene mixed with diesel fuel (yes the stuff u put in tractors). I was a wee bit younger then. But that smell is still stuck in my membrane in the spot where all things rancid fester. Maybe one day I'll give it another sniff if I see it out somewhere and relive my horror.. Sorry guys, although I do like the smell of Old Spice

10th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2009)

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

i liked it. smells fresh. dont really smell the pine in it, but now that i have a headache from sniffing my polo green anything can smell good

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I loved this scent. My fav of the (4?) not including the Romance line. I used it fairly quick and had the bottle in the cabinet til a month or so back I took out the bottle which still had a tiny drop in it, ripped the cap and squirter out with a pair of pliers and put it on leaving the bottle on my desk to air out for a week so i could keep smelling it... I think they put cookies in it

Stetson Untamed by Stetson

My brother bought me a 1oz bottle of this several years back. I prefer it over the original Stetson. It has a sweet smell to it. Reminds me of playing pool. The wife doesnt care much for it though. Been sitting so long it has stuff floating in it now.. no idea what it is.

hollyc's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

What a disappointment! Based on the reviews I ordered a 100 ml bottle (online discount thank God!) Fully expected a complex, lush, rosey and womanly perfume. Instead I got an insipid mixture of cinnamon and some sort of floral (where's the rose?) Poor lasting power (1 1/2 hour thankfully) even worse sillage (mercifully). I suspect this was once "really something" before Caron's in house perfumer's ego detached from his brain and he reformulated it. Ick. Blech. Shame on you! Run, don't walk, away from this poor mutilated creation. Ten thumbs down!

10th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2011)